• Published 25th Apr 2016
  • 4,867 Views, 182 Comments

The Chronicles of a Lost Angel [Refined Edition] - Nova Borealis



Dive into the story of how an AI designed for combat learns what it means to be alive. New friends are made, yet a few enemies make their way to Equus. Will she survive? Will her creator find her missing angel? And lastly...what caused this chaos?

  • ...
18
 182
 4,867

PreviousChapters Next
[09] Alpha Base Contruction

I stand atop the bridge of the Sirus with my arms crossed surveying the construction site around me. I see many ponies and worker sentinels building the foundation, and even working on the outer wall. I see a pink alicorn being escorted by a few guards walking towards the Captain, Twilight can be seen walking towards the construction site as well but she will make it here in a few minutes but she seems to be holding a primitive camera taking pictures of the ship, from her angle she should get a good wide shot of the 5 mile long and 2.5 mile high starship. I fly to the captain and land softly behind him. The area where we stand is sarounded by a few crates to make a makeshift temporary HQ to over see the progress of the build.

"Hello." I say to greet everyone.

"Wow, so your the alien robot? You're all over the news lately." said the pink pony.

"I calculated something like this to happen, but soon it will be much easier to communicate to one another, through one of the schematics I have given pony scientists access to, the radio and solar panels." I say to her.

"I am Princess Cadence of the Crystal Empire up north, maybe you should visit sometime? When your done building you base I mean." said Cadence quickly to add that last part.

"And I am the Angel Class Sentinel Type Alpha, Serena, welcome to the Alpha Base construction site, this will be where I will conduct research on many subjects in scientific advancements, and in my studies I will release my findings when and only when others are ready to use the new technology responsibly." I say to introduce myself and establish my intensions here.

"Well its good to know your not here to steal our brains!" she said jokingly.

"I have no need to partake in such actions when I could ask a medical officer about pony anatomy instead of removing your brain myself." I say, not understanding her sarcastic demeanor.

"Well we're here to help each other in the long run...oh we just received a letter, 2 days from now a meeting of the nations will take place, they request your presence as well as an example of what you have stored in the Sirus." said Shining.

"I shall bring a reactor missile MK 5 on a fighter class ship along with a few MK 47 stealth sentinels to guard the ship while I converse with politicians, but know that a weapon such as that will not be revealed to the public any time soon." I say as I bring up the reactor missile schematics from the Sirus's database.

"I'm almost afraid to ask what it does..." said Cadence.

"The reactor missile MK 5 is also know as the "bubble bomb", this is because when the missile impacts the target it generates a powerful bubble shield around a given blast radius to cause as little damage as possible in a controlled area. The reactor is programed to go critical and explode, as this happens the shield is to remain active through magic until 5 seconds after the explosion reaches the interior of the shield, than release the air out the top to prevent damage outside the shield, highly effective to destroy all traces of the target while not damaging the surrounding area. The detonation can be adjusted to give a specific shield size and power if different amounts of destruction is required on a single large or a small target, or even use the airburst shockwave to be magnified by the build up in pressure to do massive damage outside the shield instead of releasing the pressure safely into the sky. The MK 5 has a maximum destructive radius of 100 miles but I only have 5 of them. I have many more of the previous versions as that they are mass produced to be used on missions to take out terrorist originations. Each version does different types of destructive damage in addition to the base destructive power. As expected the smaller the bubble shield the more effective the reactor missile is." I explain the effects of this versatile weapon that I hope does not need to be used. Cadence and Shining Armor look at me surprised that even such an overly complex and expensive weapon was made.

"And...where do you keep them?" asked Cadence in concern.

"You are not authorized to know that information." I say as she tries to stretch her privileges.

"That's...reasonable, but why do you have so many weapons on the Sirus?" asked Cadence a bit unnerved.

"According the the Sirus's database it was originally a mining ship built by an astroid mining company that went out of business years ago. The ship was attacked by space pirates and looted for valuable records and parts. ...A-and it was found by the princess of the Harmonic Empire...she decided to refurbish, upgrade, and modify the ship to be used for military transport, self defense and mining, the ship itself is armed with outer and interior defense as well as anti hacking protocol for self defense. The ship alone can handle itself in defensive combat and is fully automated as are all ships in the Empire...but has the option to be piloted by a life form in the bridge..." I say with a neutral tone but they sense me feeling uneasy.

"is...something wrong Serena?" asked Shining Armor.

"Yes...I-I'm looking through the database but I can't seem to find anything about the Harmonic Empire other than it's relation to the Sirus...the same goes for the princess of the Harmonic Empire...however the only data I can find on her is her name, Nova Borealis." as soon as I say her name I feel a great sadness, my chest aces greatly, different than before, I do a scan...systems are normal...but why does it hurt...w-why...

"Hmmmm...it looks like you don't know much more than we do huh?" said Cadence.

"I apologize for the inconvenience." I say to them slightly recollecting myself. A unicorn mare with a white coat, gray mane and blue yes walks up to us.

"Sorry for the interruption but we're ready to build the rest of the foundation, but the ship will need to be in the air for us to continue." said the unicorn.

"Looks like thats your cue Serena." said Shining Armor.

"Are the tethers in place so the Sirus dose not get blown away by wind?" I say noting the precaution.

"Yes, everything is ready, all we need is for you to give us the right of way." said the unicorn.

"Do it." I say and face towards the Sirus. A loud but deep humming sound is heard from the ship as it slowly rises from the ground exposing the scorched land below, dirt and rock fall from the underbelly of the ship as it rises high and higher leaving a dark shadow under in the mid day air. The mining laser is still covered in rubble but still seems to be operational. I may need to do a system diagnostic of the Sirus soon. All of Ponyville look towards the crash site to see the ship in the air, ponies all look in awe at the technological marvel before them, floating gracefully a few hundred feet above the ground with thick ropes attached to the sides to prevent it from floating away. They find it odd how no wind is generated from it.

"Thats high enough." I say and turn back to the ponies before me.

"Continue building the foundation, be sure to put in the interior support beams in the foundation exactly as it says in the schematic so it doesn't collapse over time." I say to the builders so they understand my instructions. She solutes me and runs off to the build team to update them.

"Wow..." was all the princess, the captain, and the guards before could say at the spectacle.

"Is their anything else you wish to discuss with me?" I say to the dumbfounded ponies who haven't invented a simple self stationing electric rocket engine.

"And...you said this thing was a space ship?" said Cadence.

"In my internal database a space ship is a vehicle that can fly into space that has many sub categories, a starship is a space craft with a warp drive, hyper drive, or both. The Sirus has both, but the warp drive is heavily damaged and will be operational in a few hundred years." I say to explain her grammatical error.

"Oh...well can it go into space?" she asked.

"The engines are in need of repair, the Sirus will be spaceworthy in 3 months." I say as I run the numbers through my processors. I pick up Twilight on my KE tracker.

"Hello Twilight." I greet her as she runs over to me.

"Serena...w-what's going on here!?" she said as she does not seem to have been informed of what is going on here.

"Were you not informed? The landing pad needs to be built, so the Sirus is hovering above the build site to be out of the way for the builders so they can get to work, it should be complete with in 6 hours if nothing goes wrong." I said to the troubled princess, She notices Cadence.

"Wow it looks like no one DID bother to tell me anything, I didn't expect to see you here Cadence." she said as she walks over to her to preform some kind of dance involving sunshine and ladybugs, I imagine it must be a friendship related phenomenon.

"What do you require Twilight?" I say to her, noting that she must have came here for a reason.

"Oh uh, right o-of corse. I just wanted to see if you had any schematics for me to study..." she said hopefully.

"I have given ponies access to a total of 2 schematics." I said to her.

"Really!? What do they do!?" said the studious friendship princess.

"Solar panels absorb solar energy from the sun as a source of clean usable energy, and the radio allows long range communication at the speed of light, useful for com stations on the ground but impractical for starships." I say to the wide eyed mare.

"Thats...incredible..." she said.

"I must return to the Sirus to oversee the progress at a more in depth level. We shall discuss this later. Farewell." I say and slowly take off to fly to the incomplete section of the foundation.

"I can't wait for her to show me her lab..." said Twilight.

"Heh, your gonna half to wait a little while Twily." said Shining Armor playfully. After a few hours of discussing scientific advancements and future plans, all the ponies go back home, and the builders sleep in the temporary houses, but the worker sentinels still continue working.

The sun is setting and Twilight is walking back to her castle after a long and unusual day. On her way back to her castle she walks through the park, she passes a swing set standing between her and the sun on a cool afternoon day...for a split second she could see a shadowy bipedal figure, the figure has 10 long curved spikes on its back standing by the swing set looking right at her, she didn't get much detail as it was only there for a moment. Twilight blinks a few times as she is not sure what she just saw. But she could have sworn she heard a soft but ghostly giggle, one that sent a small shiver down her mortal spine. She walks back her castle with a slightly unsettled sense in the back of her mind.

Author's Note:

Reactor Missiles
Warp Drive
Hyper Drive
Hyperspace

Use the Archive to learn more about the words above.

=======================================================

PreviousChapters Next