• Published 8th Apr 2016
  • 4,438 Views, 163 Comments

Equestrian Skies - RomeoDKat



[HiE] A slice of life story of a human's life as the adopted sibling of Cloudchaser and Flitter.

  • ...
6
 163
 4,438

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Cloudchaser was flying around the trees of Ponyville Park, inspecting the foliage of each tree as she flew by them. Back when she was two years old, her parents would have preferred her not flying as close to the trees and limited the area she could practice flying to the backyard. But now that she’s four, they felt more comfortable with her flying close to the trees, but they still continuously lectured her about the importance of paying attention to where she was flying. They also decided to go to the park with her more often to give her more space to fly around and lets her make some friends. One of those friends was a black pegasus colt with a short, silver mohawk mane named Thunderlane. He was flying a few feet behind her with a nervous expression. After a few more seconds of flying, Cloudchaser found a tree that had enough foliage to make seeing through it difficult. With a sly smile on her face, she slowed to a hover and pointed to the tree as she said, “This one’s perfect to hide in! He’ll never find us in here.”

Thunderlane hovered next to her and nervously said, “I don’t know, Cloudchaser, this doesn’t seem fair. What if he tells on us? I don’t want to get yelled at again.”

“Don’t worry about it. He’s not going to tell on the grownups. It’s Berry that we have to worry about. Now come on, he’s almost done counting.” Cloudchaser said as she dove into tree and perched herself on one of the branches.

Thunderlane hesitated for a little bit before reluctantly following Cloudchaser into the tree branch. When the two of them were sitting carefully on one of the branches, they looked down to watch for the “foal” they were playing hide and seek with. After a few minutes of waiting, he finally came into view. The “foal,” walking around on his two legs, was Sky Chaser.

Much like Cloudchaser, Sky Chaser had grown in the past two years as well. He was now a healthy three-and-a-half-year-old who stood a couple of inches taller than Cloudchaser. He was wearing a pair of blue jean overalls over a yellow shirt. The brown patch of hair on his head became more prominent as well. While the blood test his parents did two years ago determined that he was roughly fourteen months old, they were unable to determine an exact date he was born, so they figured to make his birthday to the date two months before he appeared.

However, Sky Chaser growing bigger also meant that his parents needed to give him larger servings of food, including meat. It was something that they didn’t have a shortage of, thanks to the meat vendor from Canterlot coming on a bi-weekly basis, but that didn’t exactly go unnoticed by the rest of the town. It was about three days after their first delivery that Storm and Blue admitted to their neighbors and friends about Sky’s dietary needs. Some were a little wary of Sky’s diet, but most of them, especially those who had carnivorous pets, were very understanding of the situation. And today marked the fifth day he was able to go to the park to play with Cloudchaser and her friends, currently being the seeker in their game of hide and seek.

Cloudchaser watched him with a satisfied smile, feeling proud of herself. Thunderlane watched him with a sad look on her face, feeling sorry for the kid. He then turned to Cloudchaser and said, “Hey, can’t we hide somewhere else?”

“What!?” She exclaimed, barely keeping it to a whisper. “Are you kidding me? We just hid here, why do you want to change hiding places now? You even said this was a good idea the first time we hid in a tree.”

“But was during the first game when Berry was it. We’ve done this every time Sky was it. The only time you don’t is when either Berry or I are it. Your mom even told you to stop doing it.”

“That’s because you and Berry are different.” Cloudchaser responded.

“How?”

“You just are.” Cloudchaser said. Thunderlane just gave her an ‘are you kidding me look.’ Cloudchaser just rolled her eyes as she said, “Fine we’ll wait for him to walk past and then we’ll go to-” She immediately stopped talking when one of the bushes a few yards away from Sky suddenly began to rustle. “What?! Don’t tell me that’s where Berry decided to hide.”

Sky heard the rustling too, so he turned towards the bush and cautiously approached it. When he was about five feet away from it, a mulberry earth pony filly with a messy cerise mane and tail shot out of the bush, laughing with glee as she ran. She was the third friend playing hide and seek with Cloudchaser and Sky, her name was Berry Punch. Sky recovered from the surprise rather quickly and chased after her.

Really, Berry?! Really?! Cloudchaser thought in frustration. This had been the fourth time since they started playing hide and seek that Berry Punch had intentionally allowed Sky to find her. At least she’s not letting him catch her. She noted as she watched Sky struggle to keep up with the running filly. Then, Berry suddenly began to slow down and started to pretend that she was getting tired. Sky smiled as he thought that he had worn Berry out. Cloudchaser knew better. She knew that Berry was intentionally allowing Sky to catch her.

When Sky’s hand made contact with Berry Punch, she slowed to a stop and dramatically said, “Oh no, looks like you got me again Sky.”

Sky laughed in excitement and happiness. Thunderlane smiled down at the two of them. Cloudchaser just rolled her eyes and looked off to the side. That’s when all four of them heard Blue Typhoon yell out, “Alright kids, it’s time to go!”

Cloudchaser was the first to react as she flew off of the branch and flew towards Blue and the other adults, followed by Thunderlane. Sky ran in behind him with Berry Punch trotting right next to him. After a few seconds of flying, Cloudchaser began to reach the adults, who were sitting on a park bench, and landed about ten feet from them. Right as she was about to trot the rest of the way, Berry’s pitbull, Bruiser, ran fast enough to have his leash escape from the grasp of Berry’s mom and greeted Cloudchaser by licking her face repeatedly. Cloudchaser laughed as the dog’s tongue tickled her with each lick. She tried to playfully push him away to get him to stop, but to no avail.

This continued for a few seconds until Berry’s mom got a hold of Bruiser’s leash and gently pulled him away from her. “Alright, Bruiser, that’s enough.” She lightly scolded before turning to Blue. “Sorry about that, Blue. I thought I had a good hold on him.”

“That’s alright, Dry Sherry. I’m sure she needed a bath anyway.” She said, ruffling Cloudchaser’s mane, much to her displeasure. It was around that time when all of the other kids began to arrive. Blue turned to them and asked, “So, did you kiddos have fun today?”

“Yes mommy!” Sky happily said while Thunderlane nodded.

Berry Punch then walked up to Blue as she said, “Mrs. Typhoon, Cloudchaser was hiding up in the trees again.”

“Oh, did she now?” She asked, raising an eyebrow at Cloudchaser. Cloudchaser just scowled at Berry, which caused her to stick her tongue back at her in response.

“Well, we need to get going. Say goodbye, Berry.” Dry Sherry said as she gave Bruiser’s leash another soft tug before she began to walk home.

“ Goodbye everypony!” Berry happily exclaimed before she followed her mother.

“Say goodbye, Thunderlane, we’re going home too.” Thunderlane’s mom said.

“Okay. Bye, Cloudchaser. Bye, Sky.” Thunderlane exclaimed before he and his mother flew home.

“Alright kids, let’s go.” Blue said as she used a wing to hold Sky’s hand.

“Okay, mommy!” The both of them said as they walked home with Blue, although Cloudchaser made sure that she was on the opposite side of their mother.

But after a few seconds of walking, Blue suddenly asked, “Cloudchaser, were you hiding in the trees during your game of hide and seek?”

Cloudchaser began to feel nervous as she answered, “Y-yes, mommy.”

“And who was it when you were hiding in there?”

“…Thunderlane.” Cloudchaser hesitantly answered.

“…Okay, so long as you were hiding from Thunderlane, then I suppose that it’s okay.” Blue Typhoon responded after a long pause.

Cloudchaser released a breath she didn’t realize she was holding and continued to walk home with a smile, thinking that her mother believed her. Little did she know, Blue Typhoon wasn’t sure if she believed her or not. She was honestly fine with her hiding in the trees so long as Thunderlane was the seeker, since he could reach her up there. But at the same time, she doubted that Berry Punch would have told her something about it if that was the case. The only reason she didn’t press Cloudchaser further was because she knew that she wouldn’t back down on her lie without a fight and that was an argument she didn’t want to have in front of Sky.

In fact, she’s noticed that Cloudchaser had been giving Sky the cold shoulder for a while now. At first, it only bothered her slightly since Sky was still a toddler who wasn’t quite ready to rough house with Cloudchaser yet. But as Sky got older and tried to actively play with Cloudchaser, the more worried she got. Every time Sky did try to get Cloudchaser to play with him, she would run away from him. The only time she did play with him was whenever Blue or Storm forced her to. The both of them have tried to ask her what was going on, her answers would usually be summarized as “nothing was wrong.” Blue had her suspicions behind Cloudchaser’s behavior, but she didn’t want to act on it unless Cloudchaser confirmed it.

The rest of the walk home was relatively silent between the three of them. Once they were home, Blue Typhoon opened the door and led the children inside. She then closed the door and said, “Alright, Cloudchaser, why don’t you go upstairs. I’ll get the bath ready for you.”

“Okay, mommy.” Cloudchaser groaned before unenthusiastically walking up the stairs.

Sky was about to follow her up the stairs until Blue suddenly said, “Sky, could you come here for a few moments.” He turned around surprised before he walked up to Blue with a sad look on his face. “Don’t worry, sweetie, you’re not in trouble.” Blue reassured. “I just want to ask you a few questions, okay?” Sky slowly nodded. “Okay, did Cloudchaser hide in the trees when you were playing hide and seek?” Sky nodded again. “Did she do it when Thunderlane wasn’t it?”

“I don’t know.” Sky answered honestly.

“…Okay, that’s all, sweetie. Why don’t you go play in the living room until dinner is ready?” She said with a small smile. As Sky went into the living room, Blue frowned a little bit as she thought. Shoot, I was afraid he’d say that. I had a feeling that Cloudchaser might have been lying to me, but I don’t want to confront her about it when I don’t know what she was lying to me about.

She stopped her thoughts when she heard the door open. She turned to find Storm Chaser walking into the house. He smiled at her as he walked up to her. “Hey hun, how was your day?” He asks as he kisses her forehead.

“It was pretty good.” She said with a small smile. The smile then shifted to a frown as she said, “Hey, can I ask you something really quickly?”

“Yeah, what is it?”

“Have you noticed how Cloudchaser’s been acting around Sky?”

“How can I not notice, dear. She doesn’t even play with him unless we tell her to. Why do you ask?”

“Well, Berry Punch told me that Cloudchaser was hiding up in the trees while they were playing hide and seek. Cloudchaser claimed that she only did so when Thunderlane was the seeker, but I don’t think that Berry would have told me something about it if that was the case.” Blue exclaimed. She then looked Storm directly in the eye as she said, “Honey, I think she’s going out of her way to either avoid or antagonize Sky.”

The two of them stood there in a deafening silence, just staring at each other. After a few moments, Storm began to respond, “If that’s the case, then why would she be doing it?”

“I don’t know.” Blue sadly responded as she paced around the room. “I don’t know if it’s just a phase or something else.”

“Well, we won’t know unless she tells us, and something tells me that she won’t unless we back her into a corner.” Storm replied.

“I know, but how do we-” Blue began to say before she was interrupted by a call from upstairs.

“Mommy, where are you?”

“Shoot, I forgot that I was going to give Cloudchaser a bath.” Blue exclaimed as she began to walk out of the kitchen. “We’ll continue this conversation after dinner.”

“Okay, do you want me to start cooking then?”

“Sure, you can start with the salmon in the fridge.” She said as she reached the stairs.

“Alright.” Storm said as he walked into the kitchen.


Cloudchaser ran down the stairs when dinner was called, still feeling refreshed from the bath she took ten minutes ago. When she was three-fourths of the way down, she launched up into the air and flew the rest of the way into the dining room. She saw that there were four seats set with three of them having a bowl of fruit salad and a variety of drinks. She noticed that one of bowls was noticeably smaller than the others and had a cup of milk beside it, so she assumed that that was where she was sitting.

As she was taking her seat, Blue Typhoon walks in, leading Sky to the seat next to Cloudchaser. “There you are, Cloudchaser. We’ll start eating once daddy gets Sky’s dinner together.” She said as she helps Sky take his seat.

“Okay, mommy.” She said politely, but then started to keep a cautious eye on Sky. It was at that moment that Storm came in with a bowl and plate balanced on his back. He placed both in front of Sky. The bowl had the same fruit salad the rest of the family was having. The plate, however, held something that caused Cloudchaser to flinch in disgust. Meat.

The salmon that Storm had grilled was cut into smaller pieces so that it would be easier for Sky to eat. “Alright, everypony,” Storm began to say as he took his seat, “let’s eat!” Everyone began to focus eating their meals, except for Cloudchaser. She was focused on Sky’s meal, just staring at it with disgust. Blue looked up from her meal for a few moments to see that Cloudchaser wasn’t eating and that Sky was struggling with putting a piece of salmon into his mouth.

She swallowed her food before saying, “Cloudchaser, eat your dinner. Sky hold on for just a moment.” She flew up from her seat and got behind Sky. “Remember what we taught you, sweetie.” She sweetly said as she gently took a hold of Sky’s wrist. Just bring your silverware to your mouth and say, ‘ahh.’”

“Ahh.” Sky enthusiastically said as he brought the food to his mouth with Blue’s assistance and ate it.

Right as he was about to eat another piece of fish, Cloudchaser suddenly yelled out, “Stop!” Which caught everyone’s attention.

“Cloudchaser, what’s wrong?” Blue asked.

“What’s wrong? What’s wrong?!” She responded, feeling bewildered. “That’s what’s wrong!” She exclaimed, pointing at Sky’s fish. “You’ve been giving him animals to eat and your okay with it! You’ve been killing and cutting animals just to keep this…this…monster alive!” She then looked down at the plate again and came up with an idea. She flew up from her seat and picked up the plate. Then, with as much force as she could muster, she threw the plate against the floor, causing the plate to shatter and the food to scatter. She smiled proudly when she heard Sky cry, but that smile soon faded when she turned to face her parents only to find Blue staring at her with a shocked looked while Storm began to look at her angrily.

Storm got up from his seat as he roughly pulled Cloudchaser by the tail. “What is wrong with you!” He yelled angrily at her when she was on the ground.

“I…I…I…I was…” Cloudchaser tried to fearfully explain.

Storm continued to sternly glare at his daughter for a few moments before he said, “We’ll talk about this later. For now, you can go up to your room and think about what you did.” He then got up and walked to the laundry room to get a broom and dust pan.

Cloudchaser just watches her dad walk away, feeling distraught. She then looked over to her mother, who was busy trying to get Sky to stop crying. As tears welled up in her eyes, she came to one conclusion. They love him more than me. She then turned around and flew out of the room.

Blue looked up for a moment to see Cloudchaser’s tail move around the corner, but didn’t see her go up the stairs. Right before she could ask her where she was going, she suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of the front door opening. Her eyes widened in fear as she rushed out of the dining room and towards the front entrance. She stopped when she saw that the door was wide opened. “Oh no.” She muttered before yelling out. “Storm, Cloudchaser just ran out the front door!”

“What?!” Storm yelled as he ran over to Blue Typhoon. When he saw that the front doorway, her turned to her and said, “Stay here, I’m going to go get her.” He flew out the door before Blue could respond and began to search around for Cloudchaser. It took him a few seconds before he saw the silhouette of his daughter flying a few feet above the ground. He began to chase after her as he yelled out, “Cloudchaser, get back here!”

Cloudchaser looked behind her and yelled out, “Leave me alone! You don’t love me anymore!”

Storm flinched back, causing him to slow down a bit, before he responded, “What are you talking about? Your mother and I still love you. Now, get back here!”

“I said, leave me alone!” Cloudchaser yelled back.

“Honey, what’s gotten into-” Storm began to yell out before he saw something up ahead. It was a tree that Cloudchaser was rapidly approaching, but she still hadn’t turn her head to see where she was going. “Cloudchaser, look out!” He yelled out, trying to alert her towards the danger.

Before she could react, Cloudchaser slammed her shoulder into the tree and began to plummet to the ground. When she hit the ground, she suddenly began to feel an incredible amount of pain in her shoulder. She tried gripping her shoulder to alleviate the pain, but to no avail. Soon, she began to cry loudly as tears streamed down her eyes.

Storm Chaser lands next to her with a worried expression on his face as he said, “Calm down, Cloudchaser. Calm down. Where are you hurt?”

Cloudchaser was unable to form any words as she continued to cry in pain. The only hint that Storm had about her condition was how she was holding on to her shoulder. He carefully picked her up, being mindful of her shoulder and giving her reassuring shushes to try to calm her down. “Don’t worry.” He calmly reassured as he began to fly up in the air, “I’ll get you to the hospital and they’ll be able to patch you up.” He then flew off towards the hospital as quickly, as he could.

Along the way, he saw that Blue Typhoon was standing at the entryway looking around for them and flew down to her. When she first saw them, she walked up feeling relieved at first, but then started feeling worried when she saw how Storm was carrying Cloudchaser. “Storm, what happened?”

“Cloudchaser injured her shoulder. I need to get her to the hospital.” Storm quickly explained.

“Oh my Celestia.” Blue Typhoon gasped out. “Go on ahead. I’ll meet you there after I pick up Sky.”

“I’ll see you there.” Storm said before he flew off.

Blue Typhoon quickly ran back into the house and went up to Sky, who was still in his chair. “Come on, sweetie. We need to go to the hospital.”

“A hos...pi...tail.” Sky tried to sound out. “What that?”

“Well, it’s a place that ponies go to when they’re hurt.” Blue sweetly lectured. “We’re going there because Cloudchaser hurt herself.”

“She going to be okay?” Sky asked.

“I’m sure that she’ll be fine.” Blue replied. “We just need to let the doctors treat her. Now, let’s get you out of that chair.” As she got him on the ground, she thought to herself, Maybe I should bring a toy or two with me to keep him entertained. “You wait right here sweetie, I’m going to go get something for you.”

“Okay mommy.” Sky replied.

She gave him a quick smile before flying upstairs and into Sky’s room. Now let’s see. What’s a fairly easy toy for me to carry to the hospital. She thought to herself before her eyes landed on a specific toy. Laying on Sky’s bed was the stuffed bunny that he had when he arrived in Equestria, which he had started to call Mr. Bunny. Ah, perfect. She thought as she picked it up and flew downstairs. When she reached Sky, she pulled out Mr. Bunny and said, “Hey Sky, look who’s coming to the hospital.”

“Yay, Mr. Bunny!” Sky exclaimed as he grabbed it and started to hug it.

Blue giggled before she used a wing to grab one of his hands. “Come on sweetie, let’s get going.” She said as she began to lead Sky out of the house and to the hospital.


The hospital waiting room was eerily silent for Storm Chaser and his family. Once Storm had brought Cloudchaser to the hospital, the doctors told Storm that they would start treating her immediately, rushing her to an emergency room. About twenty minutes later Blue and Sky arrived, with Blue immediately asking Storm about Cloudchaser. Once Storm was done explaining what had happened, the two of them sat down waiting for the doctors to finish treating Cloudchaser. Sky, meanwhile, was keeping himself occupied by playing with his stuffed bunny.

After waiting for what felt like hours, a doctor walked into the waiting room and looked around before seeing Storm and Blue. He walked up to them and asked, “Excuse me, Mr. Chaser, we’ve finished treating your daughter.”

Blue Typhoon shot up immediately as she worriedly asked, “Is she going to be okay?”

“She’s going to be fine.” The doctor reassured. “She only had a dislocated shoulder. We’ve put the bone back into place and the swelling has begun to go down. If it’s okay with you, we would like to watch over her for the night and monitor her condition until morning. If she’s doing well, then she can go home tomorrow, but she’ll still need to stay off her leg for the next couple of weeks.”

Blue looked at Storm to see what he thought about the doctor’s response. When he nodded his head, she turned to the doctor and said, “Okay, we’ll be fine with her staying here for the night. Is it alright if I go see her?”

“Of course, ma’am, she’s in room thirty-three. You all have a good night.” The doctor said before walking away.

Blue turned to Storm and said, “You mind waiting out here with Sky? I think it would be best that he’s not around when I go speak with Cloudchaser.”

“Sure, I’ll keep an eye on him.” Storm replied.

“Thanks.” She said before she began to walk towards Cloudchaser’s room.

It was at that moment that Storm felt something tugging on his foreleg. He looked down to see Sky looking up at him with a worried look on his face. “Daddy, is Cloudchaser okay?” Sky asked.

“She’s going to be fine, son. She just needs to rest for a while.” Storm reassured with a small smile.

“will she be coming home then?” Sky asked hopefully.

“She’ll be able to come home tomorrow morning, but she’s going to stay here for the night.”

“Oh.” Sky sadly said before turning his head towards the direction Blue walked off to. After a few moments, he turned back to Storm before shyly saying, “Um, daddy, can I ask you something?”


“Let’s see here,” Blue wondered out loud as she walked through the building before finally spotting her target. “Ah, here it is, room thirty-three.” She then opened the door and peered inside.

Laying on the hospital bed with a dejected look on her face was Cloudchaser. Her right foreleg was in a sling to prevent her from moving around too much. She looked to see who walked in, but looked away when she saw that it was her mother. Blue walked over to one of the chairs and pulled in closer to the bed before sitting on it.

“Hey, sweetie, how are you doing?” Blue asked calmly.

“…Just fine.” Cloudchaser slowly answered, still not looking at her.

“That’s good, does it still hurt?”

“Just a little bit.”

“I’m sure it does.” Blue said, giving her a little nuzzle on the top of her head. “Now, do you mind telling me what happened during dinner?” Cloudchaser just continued to stare down at her bed as her ears folded down. “Cloudchaser,” Blue said more sternly, “Look at me.” Cloudchaser reluctantly looked up at her mother and made eye contact with her. “Why did you act up during dinner?”

Cloudchaser looked up at her mother, trying to think of a way to word her answer. After a few moments, she began to softly, but shockingly answer, “I just…I just…I just couldn’t take it anymore!”

“Couldn’t take what anymore?”

“J-just having Sky around.” Cloudchaser admitted.

Blue was surprised by this answer. She had a feeling that Sky was the reason behind her actions, but just having Sky around was enough to set her off. “What are you talking about? Sky hasn’t done anything to you.” Blue replied.

“But he eats animals, mommy!” Cloudchaser yelled out, causing Blue to flinch back. “He eats animals that you have to cut up. I-I don’t want him to eat me someday. What if he turns out to be a monster when he gets older?”

“…Honey, you still remember that time you saw that mantis eat a butterfly in our backyard, don’t you?” Blue asked, causing Cloudchaser to reluctantly nod. Blue let out a sigh before she began to say, “I was afraid you’d say that. You were just so young back then that I didn’t know how to explain it to you. I had hoped that you would forget about it and learn about it when you go to school.”

“Learn about what, mommy?”

“Well, you see,” Blue began to explain, “you know how we eat plants, right?” Cloudchaser nodded. “And you know that there are other animals that eat plants too, right?” Cloudchaser nodded again. “Well, what do you think would happen to all of the plants if there was nothing but animals that ate plants?”

“Um…they would be eaten.” Cloudchaser answered.

“Right, so to make sure that not all of the plants are eaten, there are animals that need to eat other animals. That way there aren’t so many plant eating animals running around eating all of the plants. Does that make sense to you?”

Cloudchaser sat in silence for a few moments before replying, “So, animal eating animals are around…because they have to be around.”

“Yes.” Blue replied.

“B-but why do have to be so scary?” Cloudchaser asked.

“Oh honey, they’re not all that scary.” Blue replied.

“What do you mean?”

Blue thought for a moment before asking, “Well you remember Berry’s dog Bruiser, right?”

“Of course, I do!” Cloudchaser happily answered.

“Okay, so tell me. What does the dog eat?”

“Dog food.” Cloudchaser immediately answered. “I’ve seen Berry’s mom feed him all the time.”

“Well that is true, he does eat dog food,” Blue replied, “But he also eats animals too.”

“…What?” A confused Cloudchaser replied.

“Yep, dogs eat meat. Even Bruiser chews on bones from time to time and he’s over twice your size. Has he ever tried to eat you once?” Blue asked.

“…No.” Cloudchaser replied.

“That’s what I thought. And you know that cat who lives at the house across the street you like.” Cloudchaser nodded. “Well a week ago, her owner complained to me about her bringing him a dead bird.”

“But why would she do that?”

“Well, cats actually eat meat too.” Blue explained. “But at that instant, gave her owner the bird as a way of saying that she loves him, thinking that he would eat the bird.” She chuckled a little bit before continuing. “Now Cloudchaser, has Sky ever done anything to cause you harm?”

“N-no.” Cloudchaser admitted.

“And do you still think that he might do anything to hurt you?” Blue asked.

“…Maybe…I don’t know.” Cloudchaser hesitantly answered, not feeling sure of herself.

Blue looked at her daughter for a few moments before softly saying, “You know, you were one of the reasons we decided to adopt Sky.”

Cloudchaser looked up at her mother with a surprised look before asking, “What do you mean?”

“Well the night Sky showed up, while your father and I were deciding what we were going to do with Sky the next day, you managed to sneak into his crib and cuddled up with him before the two of you went to sleep. Oh, it was the most adorable thing I’d ever seen.”

“I…I did that?” Cloudchaser softly asked.

“Yes, you did. And you should have seen the look on your face when we told you that Sky was going to be your younger brother. You were just so excited.” Blue happily said.

“And you did that…because you thought I would have wanted him as a younger brother.” Cloudchaser sadly said.

“That’s right, sweetie.” Blue said. “I know the idea of him eating meat isn’t exactly the most comforting thing in the world. To be honest with you, I was concerned when I was told that Sky would need to eat meat. Not only because I was afraid about how our friends and neighbors would react, but I was also concerned about how well I would be able to take care of him properly. And sure, I’m grossed out by some of the things I have to cook for him, but if it helps keep him healthy, then it’s a small sacrifice that I have to make.”

Cloudchaser started to think about what her mother just told her. And the more she thought, the more tears started to stream down her face. Is mommy right? Was I happy when she said that Sky was going to be my baby brother. But then I started being mean to him when they said he needed to eat animals... Maybe he isn’t a monster. He didn’t deserve that. He never was a monster. This entire time…I was the monster. That was when Cloudchaser began to weep.

Blue pulled her wings and forelegs out to give Cloudchaser a comforting hug. Cloudchaser hugged her back and began to cry in Blue’s shoulder. They sat like that for a few minutes before they both heard a knock on the door. “Let me go see who that is.” Blue said as she got up and walked to the door. She opened it to find Storm Chaser and Sky Chaser on the other side.

“Hey, are you done talking with Cloudchaser?” Storm asked.

“I’m pretty sure I am. Why do you ask?” She replied.

“Well, Sky wanted to go in to see Cloudchaser.” Storm explained. “I told him to wait until you were done, but he was pretty insistent on seeing her.”

Blue looked down at Sky, who was looking at her with a shy look while hugging his stuffed bunny. She looked back at Cloudchaser and thought, Well, so long as she’s okay with him coming in, then I don’t see anything wrong. She then turned back to Sky and said, “Alright, you can come in, but if she wants you to leave, then you have to do as she says. Do you understand?”

“Yes mommy.” He answered.

“Alright, come on in.” Blue said as she moved aside to let him in.

Sky walked in to the hospital room and his eyes immediately landed on Cloudchaser. He felt heartbroken to see her injured like this. Cloudchaser on the other hand, was scared about the prospect of speaking with Sky at the moment. Not because she thought he was going to hurt her, but because she didn’t know what to say to him. Regardless, she knew that she needed to apologize to him for everything she’s done.

Sky walked up to the chair that Blue pulled up and climbed up on it so that he was eye level with her. Once he was on the chair, he asked, “you okay, Cloudchaser?”

“Uh, yeah…I’m okay now.” Cloudchaser replied shakingly.

“That’s good.” Sky said as he looked down at his bunny. After a few seconds, he said, “…daddy said you’d be staying here for the night and you don’t have any of your toys with you. So, I want you to hold on to Mr. Bunny tonight to keep you company.” He said, presenting the bunny to her.

Cloudchaser just stared at him in shock. Mr. Bunny, his stuffed bunny, was his favorite toy. One of the only things that came from his original home. The only toy that could always get him to stop crying. The only toy that Sky ever tried to stop Cloudchaser from taking. This toy pretty much meant the world to Sky. And here he was, just handing it to her in hopes that it will help her feel better. She shakingly reached for the toy and just stared at it. After what felt like hours, she suddenly threw her good foreleg around Sky, Mr. Bunny still in her hoof, as she started to cry on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry!” Cloudchaser cried out. “I’m so sorry! C-can we be brother and sister again?”

Sky, at first surprised by Cloudchaser’s sudden hug, was confused by her question as he sadly replied, “B-but I thought we were brother and sister.”

Cloudchaser cried even harder as she tightened her hug slightly. Sky, not knowing what to say, just returned the hug lightly, being mindful of her injured leg, and just let her cry on his shoulder.

Meanwhile, Storm Chaser, who had watched the entire exchange along with Blue, turned to her and asked, “Do you think those two are going to be okay?”

Blue just look at him with a small smile as she replied, “I think that they’re going to be just fine.”