• Published 8th Apr 2016
  • 4,433 Views, 163 Comments

Equestrian Skies - RomeoDKat



[HiE] A slice of life story of a human's life as the adopted sibling of Cloudchaser and Flitter.

  • ...
6
 163
 4,433

Ch 3- The problem with Sudden Adoptions

In the gardens of Canterlot Castle, all had been peaceful. The sun was shining, the flowers were blooming, and the animals went about their day undisturbed. It was truly a place where one could rest and relax. Or at least, that was until Cloudchaser was allowed to play around here.

While her parents were talking to the princess, the easily excitable filly was taking full advantage of the large area that the gardens had to offer and flew around with joyous delight. She darted around trees and columns, under bridges, over bushes, and hid in tree branches to take a small breather as part her own little game of keep away from her watcher, Raven. Raven, in her attempts to get Cloudchaser to settle down, chased after the filly as best as she could while calling up to her. She was thankful that all of her years of running from one end of the castle to the other had built up her stamina, but Cloudchaser was still much more maneuverable and showed no signs of calming down.

Eventually, Cloudchaser did decide to slow down some, but not because Raven told her to. As she looked around the garden, she began to realize that she’s been flying around for a long time. She wondered what was taking her parents so long and why they haven’t started looking for her by now. Deciding that the mare she had been flying away from would probably know where they are, she quickly turned around, landed about twenty feet from Raven, and waited for Raven to run up to her.

Raven saw that Cloudchaser finally landed on the ground and began to slow down as she approached the filly. She was gasping for air by the time she reached Cloudchaser. “Oh thank *gasp* Celestia, *gasp* you finally *gasp* landed.” She managed to say.

“Miss,” Cloudchaser said with a concerned look on her face, “Where’s my mommy and daddy?”

Raven took deep long breaths to get her breathing under control as she started to wonder about what the filly's parents and Princess Celestia were doing. She knew that they had been in the gardens for at least a couple of hours, which was a lot longer than what she was expecting them to take. Once she felt like her breathing was under control, she responded to Cloudchaser’s question by kindly saying, “I don’t know, But don’t worry, I’m sure that once they’re done talking to the princess, they’re sure to-“

“Cloudchaser!” a voice that Raven and Cloudchaser recognized as Blue Typhoon yelled out, interrupting Raven. “Sweetie, where are you?”

“There she is now.” Raven happily said. “Come on, let’s walk over to-“

“Mommy!” Cloudchaser excitingly interrupted as she began to fly in the direction of her mother’s voice.

“Or you can fly really fast to her and make me run some more.” Raven deadpanned as she began to run after her again. “Sure, why not.”

Cloudchaser spent a few minutes flying in the direction she heard her mother calling from before she saw Blue Typhoon and Storm Chaser walking from one of the garden entrances. She also saw that Storm Chaser was pushing the stroller, but she couldn’t see if there was anyone in it. She yelled out, “Mommy! Daddy!” as she quickly descended to her parents and practically crashed into her mother as she gave her the tightest hug she could.

Blue Typhoon, after recovering from the sudden shock, gave her a gentle hug as she spoke. “There you are! Were you wondering where we were?” Cloudchaser nodded. “Sorry we took so long sweetie,” she said in a motherly tone, “Did you have fun?” Cloudchaser nodded again as Raven came running up, gasping for air again. “Oh, there you are Raven. Thanks for looking after Cloudchaser for us. I hope she wasn’t too much trouble for you.”

“All I can *gasp* say, ma’am, *gasp* is that *gasp* I’m never having kids.” Raven managed to say as she tried to bring her breathing back to normal again.

“Oh, I’m sure you’re going to have kids eventually, dear.” Blue Typhoon teased.

“Why do you *gasp* say that?” Raven asked curiously.

“Because I said the same thing about four years before I gave birth to Cloudchaser, and now I have two children.” Blue Typhoon responded with a smirk. Storm Chaser nodded with a smirk to confirm that what she just said was true.

“Wait, two kids!” Raven exclaimed in mild shock. “I thought you only had Cloudchaser.”

“Well, that’s kind of why we took so long with the princess.” Blue said as she turned to her daughter. “Cloudchaser, there’s somepony I’d like you to meet.” She then picked up Cloudchaser and carried her over to the stroller so that Cloudchaser could look inside it. When Cloudchaser was able to see inside the stroller, she saw that the infant that appeared last night was resting inside it. “Cloudchaser,” Blue Typhoon began, “this is Sky Chaser. He’s going to be your new baby brother.”

“Baby…brother?” Cloudchaser asked, confused over the meaning of the word.

“That’s right, sweetie.” Blue Typhoon happily said. “He’s going to be staying with us for now on as a member of our family.”

Cloudchaser smiled and fluttered her wings in excitement at what her mother just said. She might not have understood what the word, “brother,” meant, but she understood when she was possibly getting a new playmate. Both of her parents smiled at her reaction to the news, thankful that she was happy about the sudden addition to the family.

Raven, who had been watching in respectful silence, asked, “Does this mean you officially adopted him?”

“Yep, he’s now officially our son.” Blue Typhoon said proudly as she started to put Cloudchaser down.

“Well, congratulations then,” Raven said sincerely, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to see if I can convince the princess to give me the rest of the day off.” She exhaled as she started to force her sore muscles to walk again.

As Raven made her way to the throne room, the family also started to make their way out of the gardens to leave the castle. On the way out, Storm Chaser asked, “Do you think we should have lunch in Canterlot today?”

“Oh, absolutely! It’s probably past noon right now and I’m starving.” Blue Typhoon blurted out almost immediately.

“I’m hungry too, daddy.” Cloudchaser chimed in.

Storm Chaser chuckled before responding. “Alright, let’s go find somewhere to eat.”

They walked around the city trying to find a suitable place to eat, but constantly found restaurants with pricey menus. After about twenty minutes of searching, they found a diner that they felt they could afford and decided to eat there for lunch. Storm Chaser held the diner door for his family to pass through, then made his way to the hostess table after all four were inside. He then asked, “Can I have a table for four and a couple of highchairs for my two foals as well?”

The hostess, who was a purple unicorn mare with a black mane and tail, smiled at the family before responding, “Of course, and I can keep on eye on your stroller for you if you want to leave it up here at the front.”

“Oh, that would be lovely, thank you.” Blue Typhoon said gratefully as she rolled the stroller close to the hostess’ podium so that it would be out of the way. She then reached inside the stroller and gently lifted Sky out of the stroller so that she could carry him over to the table.

The hostess, who was now able to clearly see the stroller’s occupant, took note of his ape-like appearance and tried to politely explain, “Oh, I’m sorry miss, but we don’t allow pets in the diner.”

Both Storm Chaser and Blue Typhoon slightly flinched at what the hostess just said. They were expecting ponies to treat Sky differently due to him being an unknown creature, but to assume that he was some sort of strange pet seemed to be a bit much to them, especially when he was fully clothed and being pushed around in a stroller like a normal foal would. After a few seconds, Storm Chaser broke the small silence by responding, “Actually miss, this is our son. We just adopted him today.”

The hostess’ eyes immediately widened as she realized her mistake and began to frantically speak, “Oh my apologies ma'am, I’m so sorry! I’ve simply never seen anything like it- him, before, so I just assumed... Oh, my sincerest apologies."

Blue Typhoon, who was still holding Sky, put a comforting wing around the mare and gave her a reassuring smile as she gently spoke, “Don’t worry dear, you didn’t mean anything by it. Just, be a bit more careful next time.”

The hostess took a deep breath to calm herself down before gratefully speaking. “Oh, thank you for accepting my apology. I’m just glad I didn’t accidently offend you. Here, let me bring you to your table.” She said as she used her magic to levitate a couple of menus and a couple of highchairs.

The family nodded in response and followed the hostess to their table. As they walked through the diner, several of the patrons began to look up and stare at the infant being carried around by Blue Typhoon, either out of curiosity or disgust. This was something that was noticed by both Storm Chaser and Blue Typhoon, with the latter glaring right back at some of them. After a few seconds, the hostess lead the family to a table that was next to the window and replaced the two chairs furthest away from the window with the two highchairs. Storm Chaser took a seat on one side of the table and placed Cloudchaser in the highchair next to him, while Blue Typhoon took a seat on the other side and placed Sky Chaser in the highchair next to her. Once the family was seated the hostess gave the couple their menus and kindly said, “A server will come by in a few moments to serve you. I hope you enjoy your meal!” She then turned around and quickly trotted back to her station at the front.

As the couple began to look through the menus, Blue Typhoon let out a frustrated sigh before speaking. “Can you believe some of the looks Sky was getting.”

“I know honey, but there’s nothing we can really do about that, is there?” Storm said.

“*sigh* I guess not.” Blue reluctantly admitted.

At that moment, a teenage unicorn colt with a red coat and an orange mane and tail walked up to their table and said, “Hello, I’ll be your server for today. Can I get you anything to-” He immediately stopped speaking as soon as he got a good look at Sky and rudely asked, “Ugh, how did you ever sneak that ugly looking ape past the hostess?”

Storm Chaser suddenly slammed his hoof loudly against the table, causing the table to shake and catching the attention of most of the patrons. He was giving the waiter the harshest glare he could, causing the colt to shiver in fear, as he began to speak coldly, “Listen, buddy, this ‘ugly look ape’ as you called him just so happens to be our newly adoptive son and we didn’t sneak him past the hostess. She let him in when she realized he’s our son. Now, you,” He said a little louder as he jabbed a hoof at the waiter, “are going to treat him like any normal foal and we aren’t going to have any more problems. Am I understood?”

The waiter, who was shivering in fear, nodded before responding, “O-of course, s-s-sir. Can I get you anything to drink right now?”

“I think water should be just fine.” Blue Typhoon said calmly.

“O-of course, I’ll be right back.” The waiter hastily said before running to the kitchen as fast as he could.

When the waiter was gone, Storm Chaser turned back to face Blue Typhoon and said, “I’m sorry I caused a scene, honey. But I didn’t want to let him talk about Sky like that and be silent about it.”

“Don’t be sorry, sweetie, you have nothing to apologize for.” Blue said sincerely. “Besides you handled that situation better than I would have.”

“Really, how would you have handled it?” He asked curiously.

Blue Typhoon smirked before proudly replying, “I wanted to punch him in the snout, but I had to keep reminding myself that the waiter was still a minor.” Her response caused Storm Chaser to chuckle. “Besides,” Blue continued, “I saw how a certain child reacted to you scolding the waiter and decided that punching the prick wouldn’t leave the best of impressions.”

Assuming that she was referring to Sky, Storm Chaser decided to take at a look at his son. The look on Sky’s face showed a mix of fear and cautious curiosity as he tried to figure out what caused the stallion to get angry all of a sudden. Storm Chaser gave Sky an apologetic smile as he said, “Sorry you had to see that, Sky.”

“Not the child I was referring to, dear.” Blue said simply.

Storm Chaser looked at her with confusion for a few seconds before he realized which child she was referring to. He then looked down at Cloudchaser, who was smiling up at him with pride and admiration, having clearly enjoyed the sight of her dad confronting the waiter. He then turned back to his wife and said, “Yeah, I see what you mean. I think the last thing we need is our daughter thinking that it’s okay to go around punching ponies.”

“Oh, of course not.” Blue Typhoon said half seriously and half-jokingly. “Although” she began, shifter her tone to a more serious one. “I wasn’t expecting you to come to our son’s defense so quickly. Weren’t you the one cautious of him when we first saw him?”

“Only because we didn’t know, and still don't know, what he is.” Storm Chaser replied defensively. He then relaxed a little bit before continuing, “I’m not going to lie, I’m still a little cautious of him and I’m probably still going to be cautious of him until we know more about him. But at the same time, I know he’s still an infant that’s been thrown into a situation he has no control over and the last thing he needs right now is a father that doesn’t act like one.”

Blue Typhoon smiled at her husband’s answer and said, “I’m glad you think that, honey.” The both of them picked up their menus and read them over to find something for them and their kids to eat. But as they read through the menus, Blue Typhoon couldn’t help but think about what happened with the waiter. She understood that Sky was an unknown creature, but to openly insult him in front of them the way he did caused her to frown in frustration.

Storm Chaser saw the frustrated look on Blue’s face and asked, “Are you still thinking what that waiter said?”

“Of course I am!” Blue exclaimed as she slammed her menu down on the table. “I mean, I understand that Sky’s an unknown creature, but he didn’t have to be so rude and insulting about it. At least when the hostess realized that he wasn’t our pet, she immediately apologized for her mistake and seemed legitimately sorry about it. The waiter, on the other hoof, seemed more scared than sorry when you got mad at him for treating Sky like he was a creature from the Everfree forest.”

It was around that time that the waiter came back, but there were two things that they noticed when he did. One was the smug expression on his face as he walked to their table. The other was that there was a yellow, middle-aged unicorn mare with a red mane and tail and wearing an apron around her barrel. The mare had an uninterested look on her face as she followed the waiter to the table. When to two arrived to the table, that uninterested look turned into one of surprise when she noticed Sky. After a few seconds of studying him, the mare said, “Well, you certainly weren’t lying about the strange creature here in the diner.”

“Of course I wasn’t lying, miss Lamp Shade.” The waiter said proudly. “These ponies snuck this wild animal in here and need to be removed from the restaurant, immediately.” Most of the patrons began to watch the scene the waiter was causing out of curiosity, several of them noticing the infant that he was referring to. Storm Chaser and Blue Typhoon were glaring daggers at the waiter, and Cloudchaser was blowing raspberries at him.

The mare, who the family now knew was named, Lamp Shade, and could assume was the owner of the diner, studied Sky a little bit more before turning to the rest of the family and politely asked, “Is what he saying true?”

“Of course it isn’t!” Blue Typhoon exclaimed. “The hostess allowed us to bring him in after we explained to her that he is our adopted son.” She explained, putting emphasis on the word, ‘son.’

Lamp Shade stood there in thought after listening to Blue Typhoon for a few seconds before she politely said, “Give me just a few moments.” She then turned around and began to walk towards the front of the diner. As they waited, the waiter kept giving the family a smug grin, thinking that he was about to get them kicked out of the diner, and the family glared at him out of pure anger. After a few minutes, Lamp Shade came back and politely said to the family, “I talked to the hostess, and she confirmed that she allowed you to bring him in when she realized that he was your son. So, as far as I’m concerned, you’re allowed to dine here.”

Blue Typhoon and Storm Chaser breathed a sigh of relief to what Lamp Shade said. The waiter, however, was shocked by what he heard and began to desperately protest, “B-but ma’am. You can’t possibly tell me that-”

“You on the other hoof!” Lamp Shade suddenly exclaimed as she turned towards the waiter, switching to an angry and authoritative tone that effectively shut him up. “You have been causing me nothing but problems since the day I hired you. Giving our patrons bad service is one thing, but trying to get somepony kicked out of my diner is where I draw the line. Get out of my diner! You’re fired!”

The colt looked like he wanted to argue about his firing, but Lamp Shade’s glare kept him from doing so. Knowing that her mind had been made up, the colt gave the mare a frustrated grunt before turning around and storming out of the diner. The manager sighed a little before turning to the family, offering an apologetic smile and saying, “I’m sorry about what he put you through. What he did was completely uncalled for.”

“You have nothing to apologize for.” Blue Typhoon reassured. “Besides, it sounded like you’ve wanted to fire him for a while.”

“Oh, you have no idea!” Lamp Shade said with a sense of relief. She then used her magic to levitate a notebook and pencil out of her apron pocket and cheerfully said, “Well, since I just fired your waiter, I’ll just have to double as your server for this afternoon. Was there anything you were waiting on?”

“We ordered some water earlier.” Blue politely explained.

“Alright, let me get that real quickly for you.” Lamp Shade said and began to trot towards the kitchen.

Blue Typhoon and Storm Chaser decided to look through the menus again as they waited for Lamp Shade to return with their water. As they did, however, a thought came across Blue Typhoon’s mind. “What are we going to give Sky to eat?” She asked Storm.

“Huh, I don’t know.” Storm admitted as he started to notice that there wasn’t really anything for them to get Sky. “What do you think we should do?”

“I think we should ask Lamp Shade if she has anything we can give him. If she doesn’t, then I’ll probably just order the fruit salad, tell them to put the dressing on the side, and feed him the fruit from it.” She offered.

“I think that’s a good idea.” Storm Chaser said. “I’ll probably get the hayburger with sautéed onions.” He then turned to Cloudchaser and asked, “And how does the mac n’ cheese sound to you, honey?”

“Yes! Cheese!” Cloudchaser cheered happily, causing the parents to giggle.

As they settled down, Blue Typhoon noticed that many of the patrons were making small glances at their table. She would have ignored them, but curiosity got the best of her and she began turning her ears towards the conversations around her. However, she immediately began to regret that decision when she heard a mare from a nearby table say, “Ugh, can you believe anyone would even consider adopting such a disgusting creature? Those two must have been desperate for another child because nopony in their right mind would ever consider adopting that…thing!”

Blue Typhoon couldn’t believe what she just heard. This mare didn’t just openly insult Sky, but she also just insulted both her and Storm Chaser for making the decision to adopt him. She’ll admit that adopting Sky wasn’t the easiest decision to make, but that was because of what they didn’t know about Sky, not by his appearance.

She then began to turn her ears even more to listen in on more conversations. Much to her distress, she discovered that most of the patrons were talking about Sky as well. There were some comments that she didn’t mind hearing, like “what is that thing?” or “where did it come from?” But many of the comments that she heard left a sour taste in her mouth. Particularly comments like “are they sure that isn’t a hairless ape?” and “Where did they find this thing, the Everfree Forest?”

Storm Chaser noticed the distressed look on Blue Typhoon’s face and that her ears were moving around as well. He was about to ask her what she was hearing, but Lamp Shade’s arrival with their water stopped him from doing so. As she began to put the two glasses of water in front of the couple and a small, plastic cup with a lid and straw in front of Cloudchaser, she said, “Here are your drinks. Have you decided what your-“ She paused when she noticed the distressed look on Blue’s face and asked, “Is everything alright, dear?”

Blue Typhoon shook her head when she realized that she was being spoken to and said, “Yeah, I’m fine. I just can’t help but overhear what some of the ponies around us are saying about Sky.”

Lamp Shade gave a sad sigh before carefully saying “Let me guess. Some of the things they’re saying aren’t entirely pleasant, are they?”

“No, no they’re not.” Blue sadly admitted. Hearing that caused Storm Chaser to frown in frustration.

Lamp Shade gave a concerned look before saying, “I’m sorry you had to hear all that, hun.” She then gave a small smile before continuing. “If my opinion means anything, I think that both of your foals are very sweet and well behaved.” She then smirks before jokingly saying, “Especially if you compare them to some of the six year olds that come in here and start screaming loud enough to put holler monkey’s to shame.”

This got a small laugh out of the couple. “Thanks. I needed to hear that.” Blue Typhoon said when they stopped laughing.

“No problem, hun.” Lamp Shade said as she pulled her notepad and pencil with her magic. “Now, have you decided what you want to eat?”

“I think we have.” Storm Chaser said as he picked up his menu. “I’ll have the hayburger with sautéed onions and we’ll get the mac n’ cheese for my daughter.”

“Excellent choices!” Lamp Shade exclaimed as she wrote down the order. She then turned to Blue Typhoon and asked, “And what will you have, dear?”

Blue Typhoon skimmed through the menu one last time before turning to Lamp Shade and asked, “Do you have anything I can feed my son here. We don’t know exactly how old he is, but we assume that he’s still a toddler.”

Lamp Shade stood in thought for a moment, trying to figure out what to give to the strange infant. She then perked up when she came up with a solution and said, “I’m sure there’s a few peaches in the kitchen I’d be willing to give you. On the house, I might add.”

“Oh, you don’t have to do that.” Blue tried to protest.

“You’re right, I don’t’ have to. But I want to. Consider it my apology for all the trouble you had earlier.” Lamp Shade cheerfully said.

“Oh, thank you very much. You’re too kind.” Blue finally relented.

“It’s no problem!” Lamp Shade happily exclaimed. And what will you have to eat, hun?”

“Oh, I think I’ll have the fruit salad.” Blue said.

“Excellent! I’ll get you your orders as soon as they’re ready. Let me know if you need any refills.” Lamp Shade said before she trotted off towards the kitchen.

“Well, that was nice of her.” Storm Chaser said happily. “I’m glad we decided to eat here for lunch.”

“I am too.” Blue Typhoon agreed. “I think I might be able to enjoy our lunch now.”

Right as Blue Typhoon spoke; their conversation was interrupted by the shrill cry of a foal. Storm Chaser and Blue Typhoon turned to the source of the cry to find a young filly being forcibly led to the exit by her mother. The both of them were trying to figure out why the filly was creating a ruckus until the filly loudly exclaimed, “But, mommy, I wanted to look at the monkey!”

“You are not going anywhere near that thing! Now come on we’re leaving.” Her mother scolded as she led her daughter out of the diner, despite her protests.

Blue Typhoon gave a frustrated sigh before she turned to her husband and said, “Nevermind, I think that we’re in for the most awkward dining experience of our lives.”


Blue Typhoon couldn’t have been more right. They were practically plagued with ponies coming up to their table to ask about Sky or openly state their disgust about having him in the diner. Lamp Shade did all she could to maintain control over the patrons, but she couldn’t be there the entire time. It became even more awkward when the couple were trying to feed their children before they started eating their own food. Lamp Shade even tried to offer to charge them for half of what they owned as an apology for the disturbances, but they kindly turned the offer down.

After they payed for their meal and thanked Lamp Shade for everything she did for them, they left the diner and made their way to the train station to purchase their train tickets to Ponyville. Unfortunately, the next available train to Ponyville wouldn’t be until around four o’clock, which forced them to wait for a couple of hours at the train station. This meant that they had to deal with more ponies that were curious of Sky or made rude comments about him, much to their annoyance.

When the train finally arrived, the family got onto the train as quickly as they could and got themselves situated in a relatively empty car. They had themselves by the window so that Sky and Cloudchaser were seated by the window and Storm Chaser and Blue Typhoon were seated by the aisle. Thankfully, nopony was coming up to them to ask about Sky, which meant they could finally relax and enjoy the train ride.

When the train was about ten minutes from Ponyville, Blue Typhoon turned to her husband and said, “You know, after seeing how those ponies reacted to Sky throughout the day, I’m really glad we decided to adopt him.”

“I am too, honey.” Storm Chaser replied. “I don’t see how he would’ve made it through an orphanage.”

“I can’t either. But still, who would’ve guessed that we would be coming back from Canterlot with another foal in our family.” Blue Typhoon said as she tilted her head back and began to relax. She then immediately perked up when she realized something. “Oh my Celestia!” She suddenly exclaimed.

“What is it, Blue?” Storm asked.

“We just adopted a baby, and we hardly have any supplies to take care of him. We need to get baby supplies tonight!”

“Don’t we still have extra diapers lying around?”

“I think we have two or three left, so we’re going to need some more of those. Don’t we still have Cloudchaser’s old milk bottles?”

“You mean the ones she chewed up?”

“Okay, so we’re going to need to buy those as well. As well as milk formula, baby food, a changing station, clothes, toys, furni-“

“Blue!” Storm blurted out loudly to get Blue Typhoon’s attention. “We’ll figure out everything we’re going to need later. For tonight, just get the diapers, bottles, and food to feed him. We can start getting everything else tomorrow.”

After taking a few moments to calm down, Blue Typhoon replied, “Okay, you’re right. I just sort of panicked. Do you remember when the baby supply shop closes?”

“No, I don’t remember.” Storm Chaser admitted. “But it should still be open by the time we get into town.”

“Maybe, but I should still probably fly straight there just in case.” Blue Typhoon replied.

“You want me to bring the foals straight home then?” Storm Chaser asked.

“Yes that would be nice.” Blue Typhoon happily answered.

The conductor suddenly came through the car and announced, “Attention passengers! We are arriving to Ponyville. All departing passengers, make sure you have all your belongings before you depart.”

“Alright, better get ready.” Blue Typhoon said as she began to stretch her wings.

“I’ll let you off first then.” Storm said as he made sure that Sky was still comfortable in the stroller.

The train began to slow down as it approached the station until it stopped at its destination. The conductor then opened the exits as he said, “We’ve arrived at Ponyville. All departing passengers-“

“Get out of my way!” Blue Typhoon yelled out as she flew as fast as she could and knocked the conductor over in the process.

Storm Chaser could only shake his head and smirk at his wife’s actions as he began to push the stroller off of the train with Sky inside. Cloudchaser followed close behind him and asked, “Daddy, why did mommy leave the train so fast?”

Storm Chaser chuckled and said, “Well, sweetie, let’s just say that being a parent is a lot crazier than you think it is. Now come on, let’s go home.”

As Storm Chaser and the kids were heading home, Blue Typhoon was quickly flying above the buildings and avoiding any pegasi that were in the air while maintaining her speed as best as she could. After about ten minutes of flying, she finally caught sight of the baby supply shop. “Thank Celestia. There it is!” She exclaimed. She picked up a little bit more speed as she flew straight towards the shop while making sure she wasn’t about to ram into anything or anypony. “Okay, I’ll just get what I need tonight and tell the shop owner that I’ll-” She stopped speaking when she noticed something on the door. “Wait what is that…oh no no no no! Dammit!”

When she was about fifteen yards from the store, she saw that there was a closed sign on the shop’s front door. She landed when she was right in front of the door and tried to see if the door would open. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t budge. “Oh come on! How can it be closed! It’s only,” she paused to check the time on a clock tower nearby, “Five fifty-eight!” She paced angrily in front of the store for a few seconds with her head pointed towards the ground. She then stopped pacing and angrily said, “Fine, I’ll just have to come back tomorrow!”

She then took off and began to fly straight home at a much slower rate. After about twenty minutes of flying, she made it to the front door of her house and angrily opened the door. “Can you believe it?” She yelled out as she slammed to door closed. “The store was closed. Who closes a baby supply shop before six?”

“Wait, so you weren’t able to get the stuff we needed?” Storm asked.

“Nope!” She answered angrily. She then took a few seconds to calm down before she continued to speak. “Well, I’ll just have to write down a list of things we need to do and buy tomorrow. What else could possibly go wrong?”

“Um, we’re now down to two diapers. Sky needed to be changed when we got back.” Storm said, smiling sheepishly.

Blue Typhoon sighed in frustration before she spoke, “Alright, let’s not worry about it. I’m sure we can make them last until tomorrow.”


It was now morning and the couple was awakened by Sky’s loud crying for the third time since they went to bed the night before. The other two times had required them to change his diaper. Storm Chaser stretched before getting out of bed and said, “Whelp, I’ll go check up on him. Let’s just hope and pray he doesn’t need to be changed again.”

“I’ll start praying then.” Blue jokingly replied. She then got out of bed as well and followed Storm Chaser down the stairs. While Storm Chaser went into the living room, where they still had Sky’s crib, to check up on him, Blue Typhoon went into the kitchen to get breakfast ready. She got a couple of muffins from the cabinet for herself and a cup of applesauce for Sky.

When she put the food on the table, Storm Chaser came in carrying Sky in one of his forelegs and happily said, “Good news, he doesn’t need to be changed. He’s just hungry.”

“That’s a relief.” Blue Typhoon said as she took a seat and reached out for Sky. “Are you going to wake up Cloudchaser?”

“I will in a little bit, and then I’ll make sure that the room we decided to use as Sky’s room is ready for you when you get back after I have breakfast.” Storm replied as he gave Sky over to Blue. “Know what you need to get done this morning?”

Blue Typhoon situated Sky in her hold so that she would be able to feed him before she replied. “Yep, I need to make an appointment for Sky at the doctor’s office, find that clothing store you talked about last night, and then get the supplies we need from the baby supply shop.” She said in a frustrated tone.

Storm Chaser raised an eyebrow at his wife’s reply and asked, “Why do you seem so frustrated?”

“Because I’m sure I’m going to receive nothing but grief from the doctor’s office about him not being a pony.” She stated bluntly, “I can’t wait to see what type of excuse they’re going to make so that we can’t get an appointment for him.”


“Okay, the earliest I can schedule you for a physical for him is Tuesday next week. I’ll need you to fill in this information form for your son before you come in for his appointment.” The receptionist said as she reached for an information form from under her desk and handed it over to a stunned Blue Typhoon, who had Sky in the stroller with her.

“Th-that’s it?” Blue Typhoon eventually asked as she took the form. “The fact that he isn’t a pony isn’t going to be a problem?”

“Of course not, ma’am. Just write down unknown when it asks for his species.” The receptionist informed cheerfully.

“Oh, uh, okay.” A slightly embarrassed Blue Typhoon said as she neatly folded the form and put it in her saddle bags. “So, the appointment is next Tuesday?”

“Yes, ma’am!”

“Okay, thank you. Have a nice day!” Blue politely asked as she pushed Sky out of the doctor’s office. As they left, Blue Typhoon couldn’t help but think out loud. “That was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Now I need to find that clothing store.” She said as she began to pushing Sky through the town to look for the clothing store. The one she was looking for was called, Seam Line Design. While she has never gone there, many of Storm Chaser’s friends had shopped there and recommended the shop to him multiple times, so she figured that it was as good a place as any to get Sky clothes.

After about fifteen minutes of walking, she found the store she was looking for. The Seam Line Design looked identical to most of the buildings in Ponyville, with the only differences being the large display windows that displayed the mannequins wearing some of the suits, shirts, pants, and dresses the owner had made and a large sign above the door with the store’s name written on it. “This must be the place.” Blue Typhoon observed as she opened the door.

After struggling a little bit to get the stroller through the entrance and into the shop, she noticed that there wasn’t an employee in sight. Figuring that the owner was probably somewhere else in the building, Blue Typhoon decided to make a quick inspection of the clothes in the store. There was a small section that was targeted towards mares, which was filled with both simple and extravagant dresses. A much larger section of the store was targeted towards stallions, which was filled with shirts, pants, sports jackets, and suits. She decided to pay closer attention to the stallion’s section since she was getting clothes for Sky. While she knew nothing about stallion’s fashion, she could tell that the clothes were of a good quality and were well made. Wow, coming here was a good idea. The designer here must really know what she’s doing.

“Why hello there, ma’am.” A gruff, masculine voice suddenly said behind her. Blue Typhoon turned around to speak to the pony behind her, only to be immediately stunned by who she saw behind her. The pony behind her was a brown pegasus stallion with a short, blonde mane and tail, but that’s not what caught her attention. What did catch her attention was his size and appearance. He had a very bulky and masculine build and was definitely above the average size of most stallions. His appearance also looked as gruff as he sounded. “Welcome to the Seam Line Design! Is there anything I can help you with?” He said politely.

“Um, well I was wondering if I could speak to the clothes designer here.” Blue Typhoon replied after recovering from her initial surprise.

The stallion chuckled a little before he responded. “That would be me, ma’am. The name’s Seam Line, the clothes designer here.”

Blue Typhoon’s surprise turned into shock. He’s the clothes designer? She thought to herself. This large, bulky, gruff looking stallion is the one who made all these clothes!? After a few seconds, she recovered from her shock and hesitantly said, “Oh, well it’s nice to meet you, Seam Line. I was wondering if you could make some custom clothes for my son. As you can see, he’s not really a pony.” She then turned the stroller so that Seam Line would be able to see Sky.

Seam Line took a few minutes to study Sky in the stroller. He then turned to Blue Typhoon and asked, “Well, he’s definitely an interesting kiddo. Do you mind if I hold him to get a close look at him?”

“Um…sure.” Blue Typhoon reluctantly replied.

Seam Line carefully picked Sky up from the stroller and held him up so that he could get a close look at him. As Seam Line studied Sky, Sky decided to study the gruff looking stallion the only way he knew how, reaching up towards Seam Line and taking a hold of his snout. Seam Line jerked his head back after Sky’s sudden action and started giving a hearty laugh. “Curious little fella, ain’t ya.” He joyfully said as he used one of his wings to tickle Sky, making the infant laugh. He then turned to Blue Typhoon and said, “It might be a bit of a challenge, but I should be able to make a few outfits for him. I’ll need to get his measurements before I start making them though.”

Blue Typhoon started to relax a little after seeing how Seam Line was interacting with Sky and said, “Of course, go right ahead.”

Seam Line nodded in response and carried Sky over to the counter. He then carefully placed Sky on the counter in a sitting position, pulled out a measuring tape, and began to take Sky’s measurements, being careful not to cause Sky any discomfort. As he did, he asked, “So, how did you come across this little fella? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Well, I guess the easiest way to describe it would be that he magically appeared in our backyard and my husband and I decided that adopting him was the best option for him.” Blue Typhoon explained.

Seam Line raised an eyebrow before asking, “How did you find out the little guy’s a ‘he’?”

Blue Typhoon blushed a little as she embarrassingly replied, “I might have found out that he doesn’t have a sheath when I changed his diaper for the first time.”

Seam Line gave another hearty laugh before he said, “Yeah, I can see why you need him covered up.” When he finished recording Sky’s measurements, he asked, “Was there anything in particular you’re looking for his outfits?”

“Not really.” Blue replied. “But I’m sure he’ll need more onesies like the one he has on now for sleep wear.”

“You might be right about that.” Seam Line agreed. “Now, as for his daily wear though, hmm.” He paused as he began to think through his possible options. He suddenly perked up when he came up with a solution and said, “I’ve got it! How about I make a few outfits involving overalls and shirts for him to wear during the day?”

Blue Typhoon was initially confused when he first suggested the idea, but then she started to visualize Sky in a little shirt and overalls. “That actually sounds like a cute idea.” She admitted. “I like it! Let’s go for it.” She then began to reach into her saddle bags for her bit purse. “How much is it going to be?”

He thought about it for a moment before responding, “How about this, why don’t I make an outfit or two as a sample to see if it actually fits him. Once you’re satisfied with it, I think that we should be able to negotiate a price for the full order.”

“Are you sure?” Blue asked with concern.

“Of course, I’d rather you pay for something that you’re satisfied with.” Seam Line said.

“Alright, do you know when the clothes will be ready?”

“I think I should have at least one outfit done by tomorrow. I can’t guarantee that it’ll fit him the first time, given his unique body shape.” He said as he placed Sky gently back into the stroller.

“Alright, I’ll stop by tomorrow then.” Blue said as she began to push Sky towards the exit. “You have a good day!”

“You too!” Seam Line said as he held the door open for the both of them to exit with ease.

When Blue Typhoon left the store, she couldn’t help but think to herself, “What a surprisingly nice stallion. I can definitely see why ponies like shopping there.”

She spent about fifteen minutes walking to the baby supply shop. As she began to approach to store, she reached into her saddle bag for the list of items she needed from the stare that she wrote down last night. “Let’s see,” she began to say, “we need diapers, baby food, milk formula, changing station-“ She then looked up to pay attention to where she was going only to pause when she noticed something on the window of the shop that she didn’t notice the night before. Hanging on the inside of the shop window was a sign that said that business hours ran from eight o’clock A.M. to nine o’clock P.M.

She scowled when she was done reading the sign and angrily grumbled to herself. “Okay, they have some explaining to do.” She entered the store, holding the door open so that she could carefully get Sky into the store, and stormed to the front counter where the manager and another employee were standing. She then parked Sky next to the counter and stormed over to the employees, yelling “I need you two to explain something to me! Why is it that you were closed when I came by yesterday evening, but your sign says that you stay open until nine?”

“Um, around what time did you try to come in, ma’am?” The manager asked nervously.

“Five fifty-eight.” She simply answered.

“Oh, well you see, ma’am, I was the only one working here last night.” The manager began to explain. “So when I went out for my dinner break, I had to close the store as well. I put a sign up that said I was coming back and opening the store back up around six, but I guess it must have fallen off while I was gone.”

Blue Typhoon’s anger immediately subsided. “You were only closed for dinner?” She weakly asked.

“Yes, ma’am.”

Blue Typhoon said nothing as she processed the information that was just told to her. On one hoof, she knew that there was no way for her to know that the manager was eating his dinner if the sign fell off. But on the other hoof, she didn’t even bother to look for the sign that showed the store’s normal business hours. If she had, she would have figured out that something was up and probably would have waited around a little longer to get the supplies she needed. And she probably wouldn’t have given the employees here grief because of a misinterpretation and her impatience. As all these thoughts and realizations came through her head, Blue Typhoon couldn’t help but tremble a little as she began to weep.

“Ma’am, are you okay?” The concerned manager asked.

“Just give me a minute.” Blue managed to say as she continued to cry.


It was early evening by the time Storm Chaser and Blue Typhoon moved Sky’s crib in his new room. They had spent a good deal of the afternoon getting the changing station that Blue bought assembled and loaded up with diapers, then getting a play area set up with a bunch of toys that she purchased as well. As they were getting the crib into place, Storm Chaser teasingly asked, “So you broke down and cried for ten minutes before you started to calm down?”

“Please, don’t remind me!” Blue Typhoon snapped back. Storm Chaser tried to stifle a laugh at his wife’s reaction. After taking a deep breath to calm herself down, she gave a small smile and happily said, “Well, I’m sure the worst of our problems is over. I don’t think we’ll have to go through anything else as hectic as today when it comes to raising Sky.”

Of course, she couldn't have been more wrong.