• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 1,813 Views, 22 Comments

The Mare in the Sun - Sorelstrasz



In a battle with her older sister nearly 1000 years ago, Luna had to resort to banishing Celestia into the sun. In a vastly different Equestria, ponykind must prepare for the return of Celestia and the apocalypse she will most likely bring forth.

  • ...
0
 22
 1,813

Prologue

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies.

But as time went on, the older sister became full of greed. The ponies relished and played in the day she brought forth, but shunned and slept through her younger sister’s beautiful night. One fateful day, the elder unicorn refused to lower the sun to make way for the night.

The younger sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the old one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Star. She vowed that she would bathe the land in eternal sunlight.

Reluctantly, the younger sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom: the Elements of Harmony. Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her older sister, and banished her permanently in the sun. The younger sister took on responsibility for both sun and moon and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since.

Twilight Sparkle blinked multiple times. She read through the passage once more. “Nightmare Star… most powerful magic… Elements of Harmony… banished into the sun… responsibility for both sun and moon?” This legend brought much confusion to the young unicorn. Thoughts filled her head, trying to sort out from her own teachings with the conflict this book was giving her. “I have to tell the Queen.”

Twilight scanned her room and hollered out, “Spike!” No response. She called out again. A reply came back to her.

“I’m coming, I’m coming!” It came to no surprise to Twilight that loud clatter and sounds of objects falling down the stairs as Spike appeared before her. Her little draconic companion was holding a present in his hands. “Tada! I just finished wrapping that old copy of Predictions and Prophecies you had for Moon Dancer!” He waved the gift in the air proudly.

Twilight sighed, using her magic to pull the book out of Spike’s grasp. “Spike, we don’t have time for that sort of thing right now.” She laid the book on a nearby table. “I need you to write a letter to the Queen.”

Spike grumbled a little in disgust, but reluctantly grabbed some parchment and a pen. He looked at her, ready to take the letter.

Twilight cleared her throat, “My dearest mentor, my continuing studies of pony magic have led me to discover an old text of the New Lunar Republic. This text contains all the official markings and credentials, but never before have I come across a text that is so misconstrued from the truth!”

Spike continued to write as quickly as possible. “Mis..con...sss..”

Twilight’s ears pulled back at the awkwardness. “Uh.. inaccurate?”

He was still struggling.

“Ugh!” She groaned in frustration. “It’s really really wrong!” Glaring back at Spike, she waited until he was caught up before continuing. “It is my urgent request to discuss with you these Elements of Harmony, ‘suns’, and ‘moons’ are.

Twilight paused for a moment. A hunch had began to muster insider her. Moon Dancer’s gift glowed with Twilight’s magic and was unwrapped.

Spike looked up and gasped in shock. “Twilight! What are you doing!?” His remarks were ignored as she opened the book,

“Elements… Elements… E… E… Aha! Elements of Harmony! See… Mare in the Sun?” Her curiosity began to run wild in her head. Turning the pages, she found the next topic and began reading.

“Myth from olden pony times. A powerful pony who wanted to rule Equestria. Defeated by the Elements of Harmony and imprisoned in the sun. Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring forth the rage of the entire sun, heralding the end of all things.

Spike was looking through the letter so far, half listening to what she had to say. “I dunno, Twilight. Queen Luna's a little busy getting ready for the Summer Sun Celebration. You know she has a lot of preparations to do for that. And it’s like, at the end of this month. I don’t think this is that important.”

Twilight looked up and gulped. “The Summer Sun Celebration? Spike! Do you know what this means?” She put down the book and rushed to Spike.

He looked up at her with a dumbfounded look, “No, not really.”

Twilight looked out through her window at the city below. The cold wind of the surrounding underground caverns rushed in and blew out the candles that provided the only source of light in her home.

“The candles!” Spike exclaimed. He cautiously rushed over to where he last saw the closest candle and spat fire onto the wick, reigniting the light. Twilight tapped her hoof impatiently, giving Spike an unsettling glare. The young dragonling reached for his pen once more and gave her a nod to continue.

For the mythical mare in the sun is in fact Nightmare Star and she is about to return to Equestria. Please help me separate these facts from fiction as the fate of Equestria could hang in the balance! Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.” Spike wrote as quickly as he could before finishing the signature.

He handed it to Twilight to review and she scanned it for any mistakes and grammar inconsistencies. With a satisfactory expression on her face, Spike engulfed the letter in a magical flame. “There, it’s on its way. But I wouldn’t hold your breath.”

“Oh, I'm not worried, Spike. The Queen trusts me completely. In all the years she's been my mentor she's never once doubted me.”

In a short instant, Spike gave out a loud belch of flame. The flame cleared to reveal a new letter with the Queen’s signature emblem wrapped around it.

“See?” Twilight replied, “I know the Queen would want to take immediate action.”

Spike opened the letter and began to read it aloud, “My dearest, most faithful student Twilight. I can see you have discovered one of the oldest tales since the Republic was established. Indeed there is both fact and fiction within what you have read. This discussion must be continued muzzle-to-muzzle. Please meet me in my chambers of Moonhaven. My guards will be expecting your arrival. Signed, Queen Luna of the New Lunar Republic.

Twilight’s ears perked up and her eyes began to glisten with excitement. “Just the answer I was expecting! Let’s get going, Spike!”

However, Spike had not finished reading. Twilight looked back at him, but was puzzled by his change of mood and tone. “P.S. Under no circumstance will you mention Nightmare Star or the mare in the sun but to myself and to whomever I authorize. Come with haste.” The mood fell to a much more serious level.

With that, Twilight Sparkle and Spike left her home within the underground. Twilight grew more concerned about who this mare in the sun character was and why the Queen had such a serious tone about her. There were many questions that Twilight wanted answers to, but she had faith that Luna would be able to clarify her findings. If what the legend said was true, Equestria was on the precipice of a truly cataclysmic endeavor. Her heart pounded with more weight in her chest as she galloped toward the Moonhaven’s royal castle.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Glad to get this finally started. Quick heads up! We're starting very similar to the beginning of the pilot episode as a means for a clean slate. From the end of this prologue, it will dramatically split off into its own, independent story. See you all in the next chapter ;)