• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 8,313 Views, 205 Comments

My Little Mages: The Revenge of Nightmare Moon - Foxhelm



A Reboot of BrassHeart's My Little Mage: The Nightmare's Return, allowing for more stories and incorpating and re-purposing more MLP Gen. 1

  • ...
12
 205
 8,313

Can Go A Long Way

“So, Applejack,” said Twilight as they continued to make their way to their destination, “care to tell me how that evil detection spell of yours works. I mean I can understand the effect, focus, and energy that go into something like that, but I don’t know the mechanics behind the spell, those sorts of things aren’t covered in the academic resources explaining how holy type spell-casters operate, if I could get just a hint of the mechanics behind it that would be amazing, mostly account of how that information could lead to a better understanding of the nature of spell-craft as a whole and…”

Applejack cut her off with an amazingly commanding gesture, “Ah can appreciate yer active interest in this sorta thing, Twi, but if ya don’t give me any room ta respond it won’t go far. And ta answer yer question, the ‘mechanics’ behind paladin and cleric spell-craft stem from our faith, our faith allows us ta tap into the divine an’ perform tha magic we do.”

“Uh uh, Don’t forget labors. Paladins and Clerics have to act on their Faith and the Teachings. In the case of Paladins, it’s often by adhering to a strict code of doing what is both lawful and good. Clerics typically by preaching, although Big Mac almost never uses words, he does preach the Teachings daily.” Pinkie Pie cut in and gave a big toothy closed eye grin with a squee sound in addition to.

“Alright, so faith and labors, any particular degree of faith or specific labors for the evil detection at will?” Twilight asked, but Applejack was scanning all around the group as they walked. “Applejack, Hello! I asked you a question!” Twilight was starting to complain at Applejack’s not answering her.


Rep and the Diamond Dogs stopped at a cave. Rep looked inside and then spoke, “Drive them into here and clasp the entrance as you do, beast.” Rep then gave a growl, not unlike a crocodile's, but it was nowhere near as forceful as it was in past. A fact not lost on Roo-var.

“You dare order us!” Roo-var challenged the wyvaran. The two stared each other in their eyes. Both stood a little over six and a half feet, but Roo-var’s lupine body contrasted to Rep’s, wyvern’s like body, made him the shorter and the smaller of the two, not even factoring Rep’s wings. After two seconds Rep lowered his head. “Not so powerful without that Cat-witch.” Roo-var mocked as he turned away to look back into the woods then to his pack. “We will herd them into the cave, if they are still alive, that will be Rep’s fault,” Roo-var ordered and gave a triumphant howl, as it seemed to him he was one step closer to setting his pack free from Catrina. The rest of the Diamond Dogs howled in response, affirming their loyalty to their alpha.

“That is fair,” Rep said as he walked into the cave as the Diamond Dogs fanned out into the forest. After finding what he thought was a great spot to hide and wait for the prey, Rep began to ponder what is his life, but the armor embedded into his scales throughout his body, from his large kobold like hands to his wyvern-like tail, started to agitate his body and began to drive him into a frenzy.


As the six continued their travel, Applejack was always looking around as if scanning for something. She was still drawn up ahead, most likely due to Nightmare Moon. Twilight had given up asking the paladin about the Turn Undead and Detecting Evil abilities as Applejack just seemed to put up a wall at each question. However, the others knew Applejack was not avoiding the questions, she was concentrating on seeing what else was out there. Everfree Forest and all.

“So are you sensing anything?” Rainbow Dash asked as she hovered just in front of Applejack after the paladin just stopped.

“No, Ah don’t.” Applejack answered, but it was clear something was eating away at her.

“Not detecting evil, that’s a good thing, right?” Twilight asked, even she was starting to sense the tension around the paladin over the situation.

“Not really, sometimes there are things that not evil that will try to kill us. We humans are on the list of creatures hydras can and do eat, cockatrices will defend their homes by petrification, the timber-wolves of this forest have just given birth and will maul any perceived threat to their pups and manticores are entering their rutting season and the males will very likely lash out, especially males that lost a fight. And don’t even ask about…” Fluttershy stopped as a howl resonated through the forest. It was a clearly a howl given by a triumphant wolf but it had a clear human-like uncanniness. It was followed but several other in unison. Some were deeper, others not as deep, but all were sounded like they were affirming their loyalty to the first one to howl. However, only Fluttershy was able to notice those differences, to the rest of the six, the howls were all the same, more or less. “Werewolves.” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Yeah. We got a fight. Let’s do this!” Rainbow Dash cheered as she readied her bow and was getting.

Twilight turned to Applejack, “I thought you said you can detect evil.” The arcane mage was clearly afraid and angry at the paladin for possibly leading them all into a trap.

“I did, them varmin ain’t evil. Maybe a little on t’e chaotic side, but paladins don’t get a spell for detectin’ that sorta thing as Ah tried to tell ya before,” Applejack answered, she was both scared at the whole thing and at the same time annoyed with the arcane mage for not listening to her.

“But every book I have read states otherwise.” Twilight countered.

“Which are you going to trust, a book that’s likely out of date and was written with cultural anachronisms or a living paladin that you have witnessed detecting evil?” it was Rarity that spoke out. “Applejack and I don’t often see eye to eye, I have to agree with her on this matter, Darling. Besides, our residing psychotherapist is a werewolf.”

“So, we going to fight?” Rainbow Dash asked clearly high on adrenaline as she aimed her now at the tree line.

Twilight knew she was out of her element in the Everfree, but she looked around and noticed that the six were in a ravine. There was little chance of them getting out if the fight alive if they fought here. The only way out was to run forward. “No, we’ll be trapped here if we do. We have to run.” Twilight said and soon she started to run, but she did not get very far before Pinkie Pie just came up from behind her, grabbed her, picked her bridal style and was booking it… actually, she was bouncing or hopping along not unlike normal but at a clearly faster and more earnest pace, with Applejack carrying Fluttershy on her back and Rainbow Dash flying; carrying Rarity via her arms alongside. As they exited the ravine they could start to seen silhouettes of humanoid wolves and/or lupine humans in the forest’s undergrowth and they were clearly preparing to encircle the six young women.

Twilight kept on going over the list of spells she had learned in her mind, but quickly realized on her concealment spells would be of little use against creatures with a superior sense of smell. She kept going through her mental catalog of spells, as Rainbow Dash spoke. “It looks like I am getting that fight after all. Sweet.”

“Rainbow, darling, I must beg to differ, this is anything but sweet. Applejack please tell us you have something.”

“Ah could try charging them, but that’s just stupid. We stand a better chance together. Fluttershy, Sugarcube, can you try talking to them, yah know influence them?” Applejack asked as she began to walk around the others keeping her eyes on the forest line. Much like a lioness guarding her cubs.

“They’re not at all like Winona. They are actually smarter than most humans. That’s why they aren’t attacking us right now.” Fluttershy answered cowering in horror behind Rainbow Dash. “They are trying to herd us.”

“We can’t fight, not here at least,” said Twilight, “herding us or not, we still need a more defensible position. Wait, if they’re herding us that means they’re probably directing us towards…oh no!”

“Ya just figure somethin’, Sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

“Werewolves are often to be considered one of the most dangerous creatures you could ever encounter. If they are really herding us, then that means they are either directing us into an ambush.” Twilight pointed out.

“Which ain’t all that likely, considerin’ where they started the whole thing from.”

“Or we’re being pushed toward something more dangerous than a pack of werewolves,” Fluttershy whispered. Everyone was silent, letting it all sink in.

“Like what? They were the last creatures you listed, and the Ursas that live in the forest went north so that the Major can recover her reserves from last winter after giving birth to the Minor.” Pinkie Pie pointed out. Everyone looked at her slightly perplexed. “What? It was part of Zecora’s report to the town two months ago.” Everyone was still confused. “Oh I forgot, Applejack and Big Mac were in Appleloosa to help clear a route through the town’s orchard so it does not interfere with the Tasiwoo tribe’s annual pilgrimage, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were visiting their families in Cumulus, and Rarity was on that trip with her family; I forgot where but Sweetie Belle got the cutest snow globe ever.” Pinkie Pie rambled going down memory lane. Realizing she went too far, “Oopsies, too much, too soon.”

“Well Ah see two choices, we try to fight t’em here and be surrounded or we try to spring their trap and have a more defensible position,” Applejack stated. “Ah don’t like either choice, but having something to cover at least one of our flanks is better than being encircled.”

After a few seconds, the tree lines erupted with blood-freezing howls from the werewolves was enough to get everyone to side with springing the werewolves’ trap. “Spring the trap!” the other five said in unison and the six started to run. Twilight was surprised that she was able to keep pace with any of them… okay maybe not... as Rarity was having a hard time running with her broken heels and Fluttershy’s feet seemed to want to take root. However, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie seem to slow their pace.


Back among the Diamond Dogs, Roo-var’s plan has thus far worked flawlessly. The six girls were even running into the cave all on their own. Roo-var gave another howl, signifying that it was time. The pack then came charging at the six. Yet the werewolves did not actually attack the mages, they mock attacked, biting, clawing and diving at them. Purposefully missing the young women, even weaving through them. Even the rainbow-haired Skyborn was giving the unmistakable scent of being frightened. Soon the mages reached the cave that Rep was hiding and they Diamond Dogs pulled back.


Too late Applejack turned to look over her shoulder and came to a stop as she witnessed the entrance of the cave come down. “HALT!!!” But it was to no avail as the cave became bathed in darkness. “Buck my orchard!” Applejack all but cursed as she kicked in the darkness and began to use language that would make sailors and drill sergeants cower

“Sh..sh...sh,” Fluttershy said trying to calm the paladin. “We could not have known what they were planning.”

“Ah should have known better.” Applejack was still angry with herself. But Fluttershy placed her left hand on Applejack’s right shoulder. The paladin’s mood seemed to lighten. “Say, Twi, can you cast that Daylight spell you used in the Golden Oak.” Applejack’s tone was still irate, but she was at least civil now.

“Sure,” Twilight said and she took a deep breath. “LIGHT OUR DARKEST HOUR!” Twilight shouted and soon the cave was bathed in light, a little too much. As everyone covered their eyes and shouted it was too bright, Twilight gave a sheepish ‘teehee’ “Sorry, turning it down.” She reduced the intensity of the light and then they all heard a reptilian growl. The six turned and there stood a roughly humanoid reptile. It stood short of Big Mac, its scales were blue with plates of armor embedded in them through its body. It had a long tail that ended with a stinger. Coming from its back were two wings which seemed to be… dead…. Overall the being was a cross between the humanoid reptiles known as kobolds, which are not native to Mystica and the bipedal dragon known as a wyvern. It continued to growl as it seemed to size up the six young women.

“Fluttershy, please tell us you can influence that.” Rarity requested.

“I am so sorry, I can’t. Kobolds are sentient beings and wyverns are dragons, so there is no way I can influence a wyvaran.” Fluttershy said defeated as she slinked away towards what was the entrance.

“Applejack, you can smite that thing right.” Rainbow Dash asked in a whisper as she got her bow out again.

“Ah can’t, that thing ain’t evil.” Applejack whispered as she moved to be right in front of everyone else. “But Ah ain't letting it pass me.”

The wyvaran, Rep, watched as each of them began to take some sort of battle formation. The blonde with armor was right in front, with the pink haired...clown… taking the spot behind her, then the pretty lady in white with the Apprentice next, followed by the rainbow-haired archer with the timid one in the rear. The blonde in armor had her hand hovering near her sword, it became a game of chicken between the blonde and Rep. This lasted a few more seconds when the rainbow-haired archer shouted, “Oh for crying out loud!” as she aimed her bow manifesting a rainbow colored energy bolt. “TASTE THE RAINBOW, (Flutteryay) (Flutteryay)!” She shouted as she let loose her shot and it landed square in Rep’s face in the area of his jaw. Rep gave a draconic roar that resonated throughout the cave.

“Oops.” Rainbow Dash whispered realizing what she just did.

The wyvaran then charged at the group, it was held back by Applejack but the paladin was not strong enough to find it off forever, this thing was almost as strong as Big Mac… almost, but it did have a few more limbs than her giant of a brother. As Applejack wrestled with the half-dragon, Pinkie Pie tried a different approach as she started to tickle the beast. However, Pinkie Pie tickled one of the pieces of armor embedded in its scales which resulted in it throwing the jester and the paladin off of it. Rarity and push Twilight to the side as she dove to the other. Rainbow Dash, however, flew up and manage to reach the ceiling of the cave. The creature narrowly missed her as he clawed at him and leaped to bite her. Rainbow Dash prepared another shout, this time it was to kill. “This time, the rainbow will taste you,” she said and was about to fire.

While Rainbow Dash was charging her shot and drawing the ‘string’ of her bow to past her ear, Twilight noted that Fluttershy seemed to be lost in looking at the creature. She also saw that Fluttershy was also in the path of the ‘arrow’ after passing through the beast. She was about to call out to Fluttershy but faster than she could imagine Fluttershy flew and knocked the bow so that it missed everyone and hit the collapsed entrance. “WAIT!!!” Fluttershy shouted and very much like when Fluttershy stopped Spike and Angel, everything stopped. The beast was just as perplexed as everyone.

“What the…” Rainbow Dash started. “I could have killed you!”

“No, you would have murdered him. Give me ten minutes.” Fluttershy challenged Rainbow Dash and stared into the elementalist’s eyes. Rainbow caved in less than five seconds and landed near the others. Fluttershy turned to the creature and hovered lower to look it straight in the eye. She reached out and touched the spot when Rainbow Dash hit it early, it tried to snap at her, but she dodges it. “Easy, easy, there, there.” She cooed as one does to an injured animal. “It’s going to be alright. I am going to heal you, but I need to remove all the armor embedded in you. Can you be strong for me, big fella?” Fluttershy continued softly.

“I will try.” the creature said warily. Fluttershy gave it a smile and began removing each piece of embedded armor. It was clearly painful for the beast as it would every so often roar in pain and trash around and Fluttershy would take several breaks to comfortingly pet the wyvaran, but as she neared the close of the 4th minute all the pieces of armor were removed exposing how mutilated the poor creature was. “Is it over?” it asked.

“Just a little more. Now hold still as best you can, this will likely hurt as well. By the way, what is your name?” Fluttershy then took a breath and her hands started to glow pink and the image of three butterflies appeared in each of her palms. She slowly brought them onto the wyvaran’s chest.

“My name is….REP!” Rep roared his name as Fluttershy’s hands made contact. In less than fifteen seconds Fluttershy removed her hands and for the first time in… forever he felt… whole. He looked at his body he smiled, for the first time, he could remember. “Thank you… um…”

“Fluttershy and you’re welcome. Sorry, but there is nothing I can do for your wings. They will have to be… amputated.” Fluttershy said sorrowfully. Rep was clearly downcast about the news. “The sooner the better. I am so sorry.”

“It’s not your fault. It was … no, I allowed her to do this to me. I allowed her to become addicted to witchweed, I gave the formula to Princess Celestia, the last straw that turned her cruel, I did not defy her.” He said dejected realizing the part he played all these years in his own torture.

“You cannot blame yourself for all of that, she made her own decisions.” Fluttershy tried to comfort him. “If you can help us out, of her Applejack will remove your dead wings before they start to kill the rest of your body.” Fluttershy offered.

“I will do more than that. I will tell you what you are up against. But please don’t ask me to help you beyond that. I cannot face her yet.” Rep said as he turned to the collapse entrance and began to force the way open.


Outside the Diamond Dogs waited for Rep’s signal that the six women were killed. “I am bored.” one of the pack said, Roo-var had long headed back to report everything and likely challenge Catrina again, this time without her ace up her sleeve.

“Maybe we should have killed them in the ravine.” another commented. Soon they all saw the entrance of the cave blast open and slowly Rep emerged but not far behind him was the pink-haired druid.

“Rep has betrayed us. Cat-witch must know.” other of the pack said and they all began to dig holes into the earth and tunnel their way back to the castle.


Rep stepped out and gave the area another once over, “It is clear.” Shortly all six emerged from the cave. “Which one of you is Applejack?” he asked.

“T’at be me.” Applejack said stepping forward.

“Should have known, the three apples painted on your pauldrons. Well, will you honor Fluttershy’s word.” Rep said as he turned his back.

Applejack signed. “Fluttershy cover your eyes and someone else covered her ears. Are yah sure yah want to do this?” Applejack asked as she took hold of Rep’s wing.

“Yes, please just do it as quickly as possible,” Rep said. Applejack sighed and then pulled Rep’s left wing first and she ripped it out, surprisingly easy and then the right which was removed from Rep just as easily. But it was not painless at all for Rep. He roared in agony each time. But it was not as bad as he expected. After a few seconds, he spoke. “Thank you. You, Applejack, for removing the dead weight off my back. And you Fluttershy, for healing me. Now I must finish honoring my word. As you continue your path, you will come across a shallow river, it should not be hard to wade or ford across it. You’ll then reach a more dense area, but most of the trees there will likely be dead. Beyond that you’ll reach a dried up moat with a lowered drawbridge, not far ahead will be the castle you seek. Be wary not to fall off, she has filled the dried-up moat with sharp shafts of strong wood and metal.”

“What’s in the castle? It is a clear path to Nightmare Moon?” Twilight asked.

“No, the path you are following will be fraught with other dangers. Hydia the succubus will attempt to avenge her defeat at the hands of which one of you is the paladin.”

“Ah didn’t… my Angel Shot hit its mark. Wait til Ah tell Big Mac he was right, and little Bloom will just go hysterical. Ah can just see ‘er jumping around saying Ah’m tha most awesome big sister ever. Who-we,” Applejack laughed.

“Ahem.” Rep coughed stopping Applejack. Rep continue, “Catrina… the one who… well, she will want to take revenge on you, Fluttershy, for setting me free and she’ll try to turn the Diamond Dogs to fight you. However, they are not the only ones that block your path.” Rep paused again.

“Who else is there?” Twilight asked while Rep took his pause.

“There is a satyr, necromancer by the name Grogar with a band of fifty satyrs and fauns.” Rep paused and the continued. “There is a Skyborn elementalist, they call her the ‘Shadowbolt’. She is the one that enabled Nightmare Moon to kill your beloved empress, the self-titled princess, Celestia. Then there is the Order of Shadow, a cabal of a dozen of nocturnal Skyborns with a fair amount of Earthborn blood in their veins whom’ wings are more akin to bats that are better known as Nightborn. Their leader is called the Tantabus and he is by far the most dangerous being in between you and Nightmare Moon.”

“So will you help us?” Twilight asked

Rep dipped his head and shook it, “No. Fluttershy may have healed my flesh wounds, but there are some injuries that magic cannot heal… maybe time… but it is too soon…” He stopped as Fluttershy placed her right hand on Rep’s chest just over his heart.

“It’s alright. Thank you for everything.” Fluttershy said and gave him a kiss on his check.

“May you farewell. We will most likely never see each other again. But know this, you have my undying gratitude, Gentle Fluttershy.” Rep then fled into the woods leaving the six women there.

After a few seconds, Fluttershy turned back to face the others with a prominent smile on her face, even with the two small streams of tears going down her cheeks. “Fluttershy are you going to be alright?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Fluttershy answered as she wiped her eyes. “All he need was a gentle touch and he found his way. Speaking of which, we should get on ours. Applejack can re-orientate us?” Fluttershy asked. Applejack repeated what she did after she turned the undead and they all started their trek again.

Twilight was the last to head out. As she started she thought about everything Fluttershy did and said. ‘Just a gentle touch, clearly she is kind.’ At that moment she saw her tome glow again. She opened it and turn to see another entry, not unlike the Element of Loyalty. This time it was an apatite and the element in question was Laughter and those that would bear it. Clearly, Fluttershy was not the bearer of it. Also, like the Element of Loyalty’s entry, the last sentence was punctuated without a period, but this time with a balloon. However, Twilight was much faster than with reading and processing it and was able to get caught up faster than before.


“And any moment, the pack will return with the bodies of the Apprentice and her little friends.” Roo-var finished his report to Catrina and Tantabus.

“See, nothing to worry about. Rep will make sure the job is done.” Catrina said as reclined on the couch she had and sipped some wine she had.

The Tantabus’ right eye could not stop twitching, for several seconds. After it stopped, he spoke, “Let me see if I got this straight. You could have killed them in a ravine but instead herded them into a cave where you left them with only one of your group and you did not stay to make sure the deed was done.” He was not asking and Roo-var’s silence spoke volumes. “You had one job, one job and you…” The Tantabus was interrupted as from out of a shadow Hydia appeared with a few residents of Magiville, all with a glaze over their eyes. “Took you long enough.” The Tantabus said before Hydia spoke shutting down the succubus. He turned back to Roo-var and before he could say anything the Diamond Dogs popped out of the ground, not like moles in the arcade game whack-a-mole.

“Rep has betrayed us. Pink-haired timid druid turned him.” a werewolf reported. “There are six of them in total and they are heading towards the river.”

Twice the hired hands have failed and the Tantabus was getting close to losing his patience. “BAWAHAHAHA!” Grogar gave a thunderous laugh. “Oh you poor thing, you lost your favorite toy. Haha..ha.” Grogar stopped laughing. “Never give a female to do a male’s job.” Grogar chuckled. “BRAY! We are going to the river. Have a nice time grooming yourself. Ha Ha.” Grogar continued to laugh as he, Bray and their forces started towards the river in between the castle and the cave Rep used.

The Tantabus shook his head as the Diamond Dogs were whipped by Catrina in the background. However, he did turn to Nightshade in her roust. She was still obviously bored, but at least she was awake. “500 bits says Grogar screws up and if he listened to Bray he would have been successful.” The dark elementalist called out.

“I don’t gamble, also when are you going to do something useful?”

“I already did. I killed Celestia, what do you want me to do next, kill Mi Amore Cadenza? That gut wound was fatal, no way she was going to survive even if Nightmare Moon didn’t break her neck like a twig.”

“You’re just going to wait until the rest fail before you do anything,” Tantabus called her out.

“Worked like a charm last time,” Nightshade retorted. The Tantabus had no comeback to that and just gave a sigh of exhaustion. At least the hired hands were running out the clock.

Author's Note:

Wow... I am getting faster... And hopefully better... or at least keeping my standard... (constructive criticism is welcomed).
Also a cookie to anyone who gets the Transformers references in the story thus far. And you if do get them please, as Rarity said in A Saddle Row Review 'No spoilers' .
"Hint there are two and one is in this chapter" :pinkiehappy:
Pinkie... what the... how the... where there... when the...
"I am Pinkie Pie.":pinkiesmile:
I... I... on to the reviews
"Okaidokilokiardicoki":pinkiesmile: