• Published 21st Jun 2012
  • 2,395 Views, 68 Comments

Season of Hearts - discord7



Based on Aviators song Applebuckin'

  • ...
5
 68
 2,395

She Stole My Heart

As a few more days passed I watched AJ applebuck her way through the fields. Every tree she kicked she'd look through the entire barrel, only I knew what she was really looking for and if anypony asked her she was just making sure none of 'em were rotten. I smiled to myself thinking about it, she hadn't forgotten about me no matter how much of a tough face she put on. She was still searching for a heart apple.

---

It was the morning before the full moon, AJ and I were out in the field busy as bees (as she said). She kept looking through her baskets at each apple, as if there would be something different about one of them. I trotted up beside her searching, curiously watching her. Finally she noticed me.

"What?" She looked at me as if she was the one who was confused.

"What are you doing?" I asked her laughing.

"I was, uh... lookin' fer rotten ones." Was her lame excuse.

"Nice try AJ but your a terrible liar." I told her.

She looked a little embarrassed that I'd noticed so easily.

"I was lookin' fer a..." She trailed off and I didn't hear what the last part was.

"What was that?" I said leaning in.

"A heart apple." She said louder this time.

I looked at her confused, what the hay was a heart apple? She began to explain it to me. It only happens during an overlap between Zap Apple harvest and Applebucking season. Some of the magic crossed with normal apples and they were given special properties. They were shaped like hearts and were said to grant one wish, a wish you held deep within your heart. I was amazed that something like it could exist.

"Ah found one once." She said.

"What did you wish for?" I asked her.

She laughed and looked up at me with a sparkle in her eyes, my stomach did a back-flip.

"Ya don't get ta make yer wish." She said, "it just happens."

I nodded, "So what happened?" I asked her.

She looked shy and blushed. "Ah'll tell ya tonight." She told me.

I spit on my hoof and held it out, she did the same and we spit-shook on it. Now she couldn't break the promise.

...

As night fell I could't stop thinking about what it could possibly be that she'd wished for. Then finally she came down to the edge of the forest with her lantern, we walked quietly to the pond. We sat be the waters edge looking at each others reflections in the teal-blue water. Finally she looked up at me, I looked at her curiously. Her eyes smiled at me as she told me.

"Ah got to met you." She explained.

I was confused. "What?" I asked.

She looked back at the water. "A few weeks before Ah saw ya, Ah found a heart apple. At first Ah thought it was a fake after a while passed by an' nothin' happened, but then you came along." She told her story, what was she getting at?

"Ya gotta carve your initials into the skin and plant it where it fell. So that's what Ah did, but after a few weeks mah wish didn't come true I thought it might be a fake. But then you came into mah life." She smiled as she finished.

I put my forehoof around her neck, I squeezed as I felt her tears running down her cheek.

"I never thought anypony could understand me the way you do." She said to me.

"Don't worry AJ." I told her breaking the embrace and looking into her emerald eyes once more, "I'll never go away." I leaned in once again just like last time, this time she let me. At the very last second something caught my eye, a small red dot in the water.

"What's that?" I said pointing at it. It was the rippling reflection of an apple, I followed the reflection to the tree it came from, right above her hat there it was. I ran over to the tree and bucked it down. I heard the branch snap and fell to the floor.

"What the hay are you doin'?" She shouted.

I bent down and picked it off the branch, I held it up and placed it at her hooves.

A heart shaped apple, bright, red and glowing. She looked down at it, then back up at me. She smiled, the apple reflected in her eyes. I'd found it.

"Mine now!" She said grabbing it and jumping into the water. She splashed around encouragingly I jumped in after her. We laughed wrestling around in the water. I chased her splashing the water like a maniac.

"You stole my heart!" I yelled.

"Yer gonna have to try harder than that if ya want it back!" She shouted back at me.

It continued on like this for several minutes I chased her she splashed water in my face, I was blinded for a few seconds as I shook it out. Eventually I caught her whether by luck or she let me, I did it. She was giggling like a school filly again, the same way that always put butterflies in my stomach. She stopped when she looked at me. We were both soaking wet looking into each others eyes. Hers into my auburn and mine into her emeralds. It ended up my hooves wrapped around her waist, hers around my shoulders. She still had the apple in her mouth. She dropped it and it floated in the surface.

She looked me in the eyes seductively, "So," she asked, "what are ya gonna wish for?"

"It doesn't matter." I told her teasingly.

She looked at me one eyebrow raised. "An why not?" She asked.

I leaned in an placed my forehead against hers. "Because it already came true." I told her.

For the very first time I kissed her, at first her muscles went tense but she relaxed. I enjoyed the kiss for the seven seconds it lasted.

---

I woke up again, I smiled. I could still taste the apple. Even though this was the fondest memory I had of AJ I knew that there was still one more. I had to remember everything if I was going to confront her after the months I'd been gone. It was the driving force that came between us. One final memory, it had to be before the full moon this time.