• Published 21st Jun 2012
  • 2,396 Views, 68 Comments

Season of Hearts - discord7



Based on Aviators song Applebuckin'

  • ...
5
 68
 2,396

Drifting Away...

It was the day before the full moon, tomorrow was the only chance I would have before the next time the pool opened up. But I still had one more memory, one more chance to try to figure out where I went wrong. As the night fell I prepared for bed, I laid on my pallet on the floor comprised of only two quilts. One that I had rolled into a pillow, that one was a gift from Big Macintosh. And the other was from Applejack, a hoof stitched quilt with hoofboxing gloves and little patches of symbolic memories, like apples in the shapes of hearts, a picture of the teal green pond, and a patch that even resembled her hat. I found it funny she put that one on there, although lately I found myself waking up looking for it. It was odd, I felt like this quilt was the only thing that kept me connected with her. I began to get tired thinking of all the memories I'd been going through, reeling through them and debating to myself whether I should go talk or just leave like she said.

---

It was another hot day on the farm, sweating and finishing up the last month of apple bucking season. After that it would be cider season to get rid of all the apples within the next few weeks before they went bad. I glanced over at Applejack who was busy bucking the trees, collecting her precious fruits in their baskets. She noticed my stare and turned her face to blush, I watched her face turn red. It was funny to see her that get flustered, I laughed. That's when I noticed Big Macintosh next to me. He wasn't smiling, I cleared my throat and quickly got back to work. He walked over to me at the next tree and leaned on it. I could hear the bark creaking under his sheer weight, he really was a massive colt.

"So what's goin' on Ex?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"Uh?... Nothing why do you ask?" I stuttered out, trying to avoid his stare.

Now he smiled. "She really likes ya, ya know."

I looked at him. "I don't know what you're talking about Big Mac?" I said trying to keep my voice from shaking.

"Ah think it's more what YOU'RE tryin' ta get at." His voice grew more stern, much more serious.

I was a little uncomfortable with the subject now. "So, uh...cider seasons coming up you ready for that? AJ told me what happened last year."

"How much else have you two talked about?" He asked one eyebrow raised.

His questions were really grinding on an uncomfortable part of mine and Apple Jacks relationship. Big Macintosh didn't seem like the type you wanted to cross. I was sweating bullets now but it had nothing to do with the amount of work I was doing.

"Listed Ex," he started taking 'serious' to a level I didn't even know existed, "AJ ain't never been in no relationship yet, ya hear?" He told me. "Just be careful, that first heartbreak always hurts."

I looked down at my hooves. "So you don't think we have a chance?"

"Oh there's always a chance." He said. "But we ain't the type ta rely on chance. Listen to yer heart, what's it sayin'." I listened to the words he told me, although it wasn't what Apple Jacks OR my heart said, according to her it was the heart apple that brought us together. Magic didn't happen for no good reason, at least that's what I'd learned from AJ's stories about her friend Rarity.

"So who was your first breakup with?" I asked.

He simply laughed, "Just keep hangin' out with mah sis an' you'll see that butterscotch mare all right." He told me.

...

I couldn't stop thinking about what he'd said to me, about the first breakup being the hardest. She'd never been in a relationship with a colt and neither I with a mare. Being on the streets half my life made sure I didn't exactly look ready for a date. I kept at my work with that in mind, I hadn't noticed I'd started bucking the trees with more force. I could feel myself getting angry from what he'd said. Who the hay was he to tell me AJ and I had no chance with each other. She was the only mare who really understood me. She'd trusted me with stories she didn't trust anypony else with how could I not be perfect for her.

I bucked one tree as hard as I could I started walking to the next one. I heard the all too familiar splintering of wood and spun around to see the tree falling. It was heading straight for Apple Jack.

"AJ WATCH OUT!!!" I yelled, she looked up, it was too late.

I rushed over to see if she was alright. As the dust cleared I could see her laying on her stomach, she was unconscious but it looked like she was ok... until.

I saw that half her lower body was pinned underneath the fallen tree. I panicked, 'What do I do?'

"BIG MAC!" I called galloping all the way to the house. I burst through the door, out of breath I huffed out "AJ gasp trouble"

Big Mac took one look at me after hearing my words and he pushed past me and took off toward the orchard. When he reached the tree he slammed his head against it and pushed with strength I didn't know existed in ponykind. I placed my head on the bark as well and pushed too, I didn't know if it would help but I had to try. It began to budge and I saw the blood, it was sickening but I had to keep going, for AJ. When it was finally off Mac turned to me "Go get a medic." He said lifting his sisters head into his hooves.

Once more I galloped as hard as I could to the hospital. I got stares from everypony in town, but I didn't care. I slammed through the doors.

"Can we help you?" A nurse gave me a questioning look from behind the counter.

"Not me, I need a medic cart NOW!" I shouted. She recoiled and pointed over in the corner at several carts all with their coaches designated ready for a call.

I rushed over. "HEY! Were perfectly capable of rushing to an emergency."

"Nopony's faster than me on the ground!" I said and it was true, fastened the straps on and was out the door before anypony could stop me.

"Wow he really is fast!" The Coach said as I left the hospital.

I reached back to the farm in two minutes, a world record probably but I wasn't keeping score right now. Big Macintosh and I lifted her into the cart gently and I rushed her back to the hospital. Even with the added weight of both Mac and AJ I pulled the cart back just as fast. The medical team rushed her into the OR, I followed her as far as I could until the doctors told me I couldn't go any father. I swear I saw her open her eyes just slightly as they pushed me back. As she slipped out of sight I saw that familiar sparkle.

It was the last time I saw her for four days. She was in intensive care in an induced coma so that she could sleep away most of the pain from her surgery. Finally after a little rehabilitation therapy I was allowed to visit her. She was only allowed to have one visitor at a time. I said it should be Apple Bloom, but both Big Mac and her agreed, they wanted it to be me.

I entered the room to see her looking out the window, she wouldn't look at me.

"AJ?" I said hopeful she just hadn't noticed I'd entered, no response. "You feelin' better?" I asked. Still no response, I sat in the stool next to her bed. I reached for her hoof but she pulled it away. I looked up and saw tears in her eyes, I had to cheer her up.

"You know I told your brother and sister that it should have been Apple Bloom that got to see you first but they both said-" I began.

"It shoulda been." She interrupted it was barely audible but I heard it loud enough to stop me from talking.

"What?" I said after a short pause.

"They should have sent in Apple Bloom first!" She said glaring daggers at me. "Ah would have preferred if you never came in at all." She said crossing her hooves in front of her chest.

"What are you?... Why are you so mad?" I was confused now.

She looked at me then threw off her covers, both her legs were in casts.

"They said Ah might never even walk again at all!" She shouted.

The realization sunk in.

"You did this to me!" she said pointing her hoof at me.

"AJ I didn't... I mean I just."

"Ya got mad at Big Mac an' started kickin' mah trees, Ah saw ya! I thought 'HAY just let him get it out of his system!' But ya'll went and made one fall one me." She said, her glare became even more intense. She was fuming with rage now. "And now Ah may never get to do another applebuckin' again. An' it's all your fault." I could see the tears forming through her eyes.

"AJ... " I began, "I'm so sorr-"

"SAVE IT!" She interrupted again. "Ah want ya off mah farm before I get outta here." I stared at the end of her bed for a while not knowing what else I could do or say. I got up and left without a word, head hung and ears down.

...

I packed my few belongings at the farm and prepared to leave, Big Macintosh was at the door waiting for me.

"What?" I said, sniffing trying to hide the tears.

"She don't know what she's sayin' right now." He told me, I avoided his eyes. "Just give her time she'll come around." Still didn't respond.

He reached into his saddlebag and pulled out a burlap bag and a quilt.

"There's a couple a bits and apples in there." He told me. "An Ah know AJ gave ya one already but it get's pretty cold out there." He told me, still I didn't respond only holding back more tears.

"If ya ever feel like ya need ta come back I'm sure you'll find she'll still be thinkin' of ya" He assured me. "An' if you still think about her than you should know it might not be over." He told me, he stepped closer, for the first time I looked him in his eyes. They were the same color as AJ's but more brotherly this time.

"Yer chance is still out there." He said. "No matter how mad she is right now, even though she ain't gonna admit it." He told me.

I looked up into his eyes and nodded. I walked past him, I picked up the blanket and the bag of coins and food and made my leave not bothering to look back.

...

And so now I wait here with nothing but my memories of her. It's morning now and like usual, the roosters have woken me up. It's time to begin another day. This day is different though, now I can finally look forward to Luna's Full Moon...and my only chance to get her back. I had no idea how it would go down or what would happen... but I had to try.