• Published 12th Mar 2016
  • 3,043 Views, 242 Comments

The Awesome Spider-Dash: Origins - Flufux



Rainbow Dash was once just an ordinary teenage girl going to Canterlot High, but then, one day, she got bitten by a mutated spider and woke up with superpowers beyond her wildest dreams. But what will she do with them? (Flutterdash pairing)

  • ...
29
 242
 3,043

Orange is the new Rarity

Minisode
Orange is the new Rarity

A few years ago, just after a new school year had begun at Canterlot High, six freshmen girls came together and formed a friendship that was meant to last throughout their whole tenure at the school.

Rainbow Dash was a proud member of that group of friends, and was even the one who started the group in the first place. Well, to be precise, it was actually Pinkie Pie who started it...with Rainbow's help of course. And they did it mostly on Fluttershy's behalf. So, technically, all three of them were responsible...or one could just see it as all six of them coming together.

Either way, it all started when Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy enrolled at the school.

The two of them had known each other for longer than any of their other friends, and had thus formed a very close bond that had withstood the test of time. And even when they were both suddenly thrust upon the madness of High School for the first time, they did everything they could to not drift away.

However, that was proving to be easier said than done. For while Rainbow could easily impress almost anyone, especially other athletes like Gilda and Lightning Dust, Fluttershy had no such luck. Her shy nature and lack of proper social skills, especially when dealing with strangers, made it very difficult for her to make any new friends at all.

All Fluttershy had was Rainbow Dash, and at the time, Dash spent far more time hanging out with Lightning Dust or making out with Gilda than to be there for her timid and socially awkward best friend. Because of that, Fluttershy was starting to get lonely...especially when she was at school.

That was until she met Pinkie Pie, the sugar-obsessed party girl who always kept a smile on her face. For according to Pinkie: being lonely and sad was not acceptable, and something that should immediately be replaced with a cheerful smile. So when she picked up on how sad Fluttershy was being, she not only offered her own hand in friendship, but also promised to introduce her to people who she thought would make good friends for her.

While Fluttershy was a bit intimidated by the hyperactive girl who suddenly took an interest in her, she eventually agreed to Pinkie's proposal after getting some encouragement from Rainbow Dash. And with Pinkie's help, Rainbow and Fluttershy went on a mission to find friends who all three of them could bond with.

The first one they found was Twilight Sparkle, who, at the time, was basically a recluse, only caring about her studies while keeping her eyes glued to any interesting book she could find. She had no interest in making friends and generally considered it a waste of time. While that attitude gave her pretty good grades, which she was content with having, it was not something that Pinkie Pie considered acceptable. She didn't want Twilight to be content, she wanted her to be happy.

While it wasn't easy, Pinkie eventually managed to convince Twilight to leave the library and hang out a bit with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

It started out rather awkwardly, especially after Twilight made it perfectly clear that the only reason she was quote on quote 'wasting her time talking to them', was to get Pinkie Pie to leave her alone. Though...after a while, she managed to find some common ground with Fluttershy given that they both found zoology an interesting subject to discuss. However, the differences between herself and Rainbow Dash made it hard for Twilight to truly bond with her...until they found out that they were both massive fans of the Daring Do books.

After meeting the three of them a couple of times and got to know them better, she apologised for her initial rude behaviour and decided that having at least a few friends wasn't such a bad idea after all.

However, as one friendship was gained, another was lost.

When a race Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust participated in basically went to hell because Dust sabotaged it for the other players, Rainbow became fed up with her friend's reckless behaviour and called her out on it. At first, Lightning tried to play it off as if she hadn't done anything wrong, but when Dash still wouldn't let it go, she somehow managed to spin the whole story around as if Rainbow Dash was the one who sabotaged it.

That was when Applejack came in. As one of the racers who got injured when Lightning cut her off, there was no way she would allow her to get away with it. And when she heard Lightning Dust accuse Rainbow Dash of being the one responsible, Applejack stood up to her and told Dust that what she was saying was nothing but 'a load of bull', and that Dash didn't deserve any of her lies.

Unwilling to admit that she was at fault, Lightning Dust just decided to turn her back on them and leave, firmly cementing the fact that whatever friendship she and Rainbow once had was now gone.

Because of the injury Applejack sustained during the race (a sprained ankle to be precise), Rainbow Dash volunteered to help Applejack on her farm as a favour for publicly defending her. While initially reluctant about letting a girl she barely knew handle her responsibilities, she could tell that Rainbow was sincere about it and eventually accepted her help.

Being a hardened and dependable tomboy just like Rainbow herself, but at the same time being nothing like the reckless opportunist Lightning Dust was, Rainbow Dash grew to like Applejack quite a lot. And while the two of them could always find something to argue about, especially about Dash's laziness or bloated ego, it didn't take long for them to grow as close to each other as two platonic friends could be.

Together, these girls formed a nearly unbreakable bond that has lasted to this very day...or at least...mostly. See, there was also another member of this circle of friends, and her name was Rarity.

Rarity came into the group when she met Twilight and Fluttershy at a local spa, and once she learned that the two went to the same school she was, she made sure to get in touch with them afterwards. Unlike the brash and athletic Rainbow Dash and the hardworking Applejack, Rarity was a lady in every sense of the word. She always wore makeup, groomed her hair, and dressed in the most fashionable clothes she could afford...or make, since she also happened to be a fashionista in training.

However, Rarity kept a little secret...or rather...a very big one.

As it turned out, she had a hobby of sneaking out at night dressed in a black catsuit with a mask over her eyes in order to break into hard-to-get places and steal what she could get her clawed gloves on. With an elegance and precision most thieves lacked, Rarity, or rather Black Cat, as she was called by those who didn't know her, became the 'Robin Hood' of Canterlot, stealing from the rich and powerful before anonymously donating it to the poor and suffering.

No one knew of course. Not her parents, not her sister, not her friends, no one. And she made sure to never leave evidence behind, or let someone see her face, or most importantly: not get caught.

However, as brilliant as she was, even she made mistakes, and eventually...her luck ran out.


And now Rainbow Dash was looking at Rarity through a bullet-proof glass wall while the former fashionista was dressed in an unflattering orange jump suit and a pair of metal cuffs kept her from moving her arms as much as she would have liked. Her hair, once made in elegant violet curves was now a dishevelled purple mess, and Dash had to admit that she looked very different without all of her makeup, and especially without the fake eyelashes.

Rarity was beyond grateful that she was allowed visitation hours. Without them she was sure she would have completely lost her sanity by now. However, she was a bit surprised that Rainbow Dash had decided to see her all of a sudden. Mostly it was her parents or Sweetie Belle, or possibly all of her best friends together, who visited her. Dash rarely came to see her alone.

After raising an inquisitive eyebrow, Rarity picked up the phone on her right while Rainbow did the same with the one on her side, and then they spent a few seconds just...staring at each other.

As someone who prided herself on noticing small details others usually miss, Rarity could tell that something was troubling her tomboyish friend. Her first clue was that there were no signs of Rainbow's usual cocky smile or her chipper mood. Yet, at the same time, she didn't look particularly sad…at least not as much as she seemed angry or possibly frustrated. However, that frustration and anger was not directed at Rarity, but at something else completely. Whatever that could be, she could only guess.

After a short while, Rarity asked, "Darling, are you quite alright? It looks like something's troubling you." As was usual for her, she spoke in a very refined and posh mid-Atlantic accent.

"It's...uh...nothing serious." Rainbow answered, sounding rather tired, "I just had a really annoying day."

"Oh, is it something you would like to talk about, perhaps?"

"Not really."

"Well then...um...whatever was it you wanted to speak to me about? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I just didn't expect you here today."

"Yeah, about that..." Rainbow looked around a bit to see if anyone was listening in, "I sorta, kinda...need a favour from you."

"A favour?"

"Yep."

"Well, I'm not entirely sure what it is I can do for you in here, but let it never be said that Rarity wouldn't help a friend in need. Now, what did you need from me, darling?"

"Actually...I want a new outfit."

Rarity's eyes lit up while a massive smile appeared on her face, "Ooooooh, really?! You finally want me to design an outfit for you?! I didn't think I'd ever see the day!"

Rarity's excitement earned a chuckle from Dash, "Hehehe, calm down, Rares, it isn't that big a deal."

"But it is!" Rarity insisted, "Normally, I have to practically beg you to wear anything of my design, so to see you come all the way here to get me to make something for you is almost like a dream come true. Now what do you want, a new training outfit, something comfortable, something stylish, or...something a little 'special' for dear Fluttershy?"

Dash's eyes snapped open, "How did you-"

"Pish posh, just because I sometimes need reading glasses doesn't mean I'm blind. Anyone with the slightest understanding of romance would be able to tell that you're completely infatuated with her...and I totally approve! You two would make such a cute couple, I can already see it..." Rarity drifted off while dreamily looking up at the ceiling.

Becoming just a bit uncomfortable, Rainbow asked, "Um, Rarity, can you please not start daydreaming about me doing things with Fluttershy? It kinda freaks me out."

"Mmmm...what?" Rarity answered innocently, before she realised what she was doing and abruptly shook her head, "Oh, so sorry, darling. I believe I was swept up in the moment there...as it were. Now what kind of outfit did you want me to make? Something cute, something dapper, or dare I say...something sexy?"

"Yeah...no. The thing is...I want something that's completely aerodynamic, like skintight, easy to move in, but also looking really cool. I think a combination of red and blue might work for the colour, and its supposed to hide my face."

That had got to be strangest order Rarity had ever received...and that's saying a lot.

"Do I want to know what you plan to use it for?" Rarity questioned.

"It's for a...contest...in school." Rainbow lied, "Anyway, the point is that it needs a…theme, and I decided to have a...spider...theme."

"Spider-theme?! Why ever would you choose an outfit with such a repulsive creature as its main theme?"

Slightly offended by that remark for some reason she couldn't quite place (maybe it was because she had spider-DNA in her blood), Rainbow argued, "Hey, spiders are awesome! And...I've already decided, so can you make it or not!?"

"You don't have to be quite so rude about it, but...yes, I suppose I could. While your instructions are...a little strange, I do think I can create something absolutely smashing out of them."

"A little strange? You're the one who dresses up in a skintight catsuit that leaves absolutely zero to the imagination...and that cleavage, man...that's hot."

Rarity stuck her nose up in the air, "Would you please keep such perverted thoughts to yourself?! The Black Cat suit is both functional and fashionable, and the excellent outfit for a master thief...even though I will admit it can help me keep people, well, distracted, when I need them to be. Although...perhaps I did go a tad bit overboard with the slightly exposed...uh...front section. I think I might have to change that in the future. Maybe make it a bit more modest?"

"Do you have to? I don't mind really." Rainbow noted in an uncomfortably suggestive tone...while almost looking like she was drooling at whatever mental image she had in her head.

Rarity rolled her eyes and made sure her mouth was away from the phone when she muttered, "Rainbow, I swear, you're starting to remind me of those hormone-obsessed rowdy lesbian teenagers in the showers..."

"What was that?" Dash asked, not really knowing if she should be offended by whatever it was her friend said or not.

Rarity put the phone back to her ear, "Oh, nothing important, dear! Now what were we talking about?"

"So how long will it take you to get that suit done?"

"Hmmm...well, that might be a problem actually. In this forsaken place I cannot find any good fabric whatsoever. Because if I did, I would never wear this orange crime against fabulosity, and have you seen the state of my hair!? I'll tell you that life in this dreadful place is just...just...uh...dreadful!"

"It can't be that bad. At least you got put in the women's section and don't have to deal with a lot of guys staring at your butt."

"Pah, these so-called-women I have to live with are some of the most unladylike women I have ever had the misfortune of meeting! I mean, the girl I have to share a cell with is a complete and utter narcissist, always tries to steal my things, and constantly talks in the third person. I swear if I have to hear her call herself 'the Great and Powerful Trixie' one more time, I'm going to feel the need to introduce her to my 'Great and Powerful' fist! Of course, as a lady, I would never stoop to doing such a thing...but I can definitively feel the temptation."

"Hmm...let's see: a narcissist who sometimes talks in the third person and likes to steal things..." Rainbow surmised, "Are we talking about your cellmate or yourself right now?"

"Very funny. But unlike my dear cellmate Trixie, I at least have some dignity about it."

"Uh-huh...whatever helps you sleep at night, Rares."

"Anyway...as I said, it would be quite a bother to design your outfit in here, but that does not mean it cannot be done!"

"You mean if I break you out of this place?" Rainbow suggested, though more in a sarcastic way.

Rarity put her hand on her chin in thought, "While that offer is a bit tempting, I'd rather not see you join me in here for my sake. Also, there are alternatives."

"I'm listening. What'ya need?"

"More like who I need, actually. You see, before I got locked up in here I taught our dear friend Spiky wiky a lot of my tricks when it came to sewing, dressmaking and that...cosplaying thing you and Twilight are so into. He has already handled several of my orders since I was incarcerated. However, while I am impressed with his accomplishments in the field thus far, he is...lacking a bit in the creative department unfortunately. But not to worry, for if there is one thing I am allowed to have in this place, its a pen and paper, and I intend to use it."

"So the plan is for you sketch something, send it to me, and then I'll bring it to Spike so he could sew it for me? Sounds easy enough."

"Precisely. Though I'll have to write some instructions as well so he doesn't forget anything important. I'd assume that with how many checklists he handles for Twilight all the time, following a few basic instructions will be a walk in the park for him."

"No kidding. With how much he helps her I'm not even sure if he qualifies as a brother or a slave to her at this point."

"I think you should give him a tad bit more credit, Rainbow. Spike was stuck in a terrible orphanage when Twilight convinced her parents to adopt him, and I think its only natural for the boy to want to do anything to repay that favour. Also, all the things he does for her, he does willingly. So no, I would never call him a slave. In fact, isn't his relationship with Twilight practically the same thing you have with Scootaloo?"

"In what way?"

"Well...you are both a pair of siblings in anything but blood. Just like Spike needed a family to live with, Scootaloo needed someone to give her the inspiration and encouragement to get back on the horse and run again. You and Twilight were both there for them when they needed you, and now they practically idolise you for it. It is truly a special connection the likes of which I have never seen before. I am quite envious."

"Whoa, Rarity...that's...really sappy. You ever think about becoming a poet?"

"You know what? I think I might just do that." she then put on the biggest pouty face she could muster, "I mean, it's not like there's much else I can do in here anyway. Not when I'm all alone...in this ghastly prison...eating terrible food...having to use this ridiculous contraption to speak to people sitting just in front of me...not being able to hug my little sister...not-"

"Alright, stop right there, Rarity!" Rainbow interrupted, "I am so not in the mood for you to go all drama queen on me. Come to think of it, you really should be an actor...or a poet, or a fashion designer or whatever. Seriously, I never really got why you decided to become a thief in the first place."

Noticing a bit of bitterness at the end of that sentence, Rarity asked, "Does it...bother you...not knowing?"

"Hell yeah it does!" Rainbow answered in a slightly angry tone, "I mean, we were all best friends once: you, me, Twi, Flutters, Pinkie and AJ. And then all of that suddenly ends because you got arrested for breaking the law! What's up with that!?"

"It's...a long story...and one that I most certainly owe you, but...I'm afraid visitation hours are over."

Rainbow had completely forgot about the time, and only now noticed that a pair of guards were heading towards where Rarity was sitting.

"Wait, already? But I'm not finished talking with you yet!"

"I am truly sorry, but things are well out of my hands. I will remember to design that outfit though. Skin-tight, face-concealing, spider-themed and red and blue, correct?"

"Well, yes, but-"

"Excellent! I'll get on that as soon as I can."

"Rarity!"

But Rarity couldn't hear her, for she had just put the phone back on the wall. And with a reinforced glass wall in the way, there was no way for Dash to get another word in before the guards began to escort her friend back to her cell.

After letting out a frustrated groan, Rainbow put her phone back as well.

"Dammit, Rarity. Why can't you ever just give me a straight answer?"

Author's Note:

See what I did there...with the title...and that's its a pun of the popular Netflix show where a woman is sent to prison...and Rarity's in prison...haha...ha...I'm funny.:twilightblush:

Ah well, my love for bad and obvious puns aside, I actually haven't even seen that show, just the trailer. But, well, I've heard a few things about it. Anyway, let's steer away from that subject.

Right! Rarity:duck:. Now you know that she's...in prison:raritydespair::raritycry:...and she's apparently this story version of the Black Cat. You know, Marvel's response to Catwoman, with the outrageous cleavage. I mean, what is it with women's costumes in comic books anyway? Are comic book artists all perverts or something?

But I got to say, so far, Rarity has been my favourite character to write dialogue for, especially with her always entertaining drama queen tendencies. I also think she's a lot easier (for me, in any case) to write in character than some others like Applejack and Pinkie Pie.

Now I have two more minisodes to go (with one of them being almost finished) before the really interesting things start to happen.

(PS: My birthday was just the other day, and I got a ton of Marvel comic books to read, including both Spider-man and Doctor Strange. I even got a My Little Pony comic for good measure (Something about some strange creature Sombra enslaved and kept as a pet that Twilight and Shining Armour later went looking for). Oh, and I got a coffee cup with the Incredible Hulk on it. That one's awesome!)