• Published 1st Mar 2016
  • 470 Views, 9 Comments

Short Stories Collection, vol. I - fallen starr



A collection of stories that tend to not meet the 1000 word count minimum. Stories will be tagged in the chapter.

  • ...
3
 9
 470

PreviousChapters Next
Twilight's "Mother" [Slice of Life]

Celestia was just lying down, prepared to get what sleep she could before dawn in three hours, when her door creaked open. She sat up and watched as a small shadow snuck in before closing the door behind it. The figure was small, no larger than a filly. It made its way to the bed and sat, staring up.

“Princess, I can’t sleep,” came the voice of her new student. “I…” the little filly sighed, her head hanging down. “Can you make me sleep?”

A warm smile graced Celestia’s face as she scooped the filly up in her wings. It had been centuries since she had taken on a personal student, and she had never had one so young. This filly was barely old enough to be in school at eight years old. The progress the filly had made in just six months was astounding, though.

“What is wrong, my little pony?” Celestia asked in the most soothing voice she could.

“I had a bad dream. Shiny had to go to the battle of brazen hill and he was trying to save me from Hard Hoof but he couldn’t and…and…” the little pony sniffled and nuzzled into Celestia’s chest.

Cradling the filly in her wings, Celestia brushed her mane back from her face. “Shhh…it’s okay, Twilight. Shining Armor is still in Canterlot, and Hard Hoof is a figure of ancient history. Everyone is safe, hmmm.”

The sniffling slowed as Twilight looked up to Celestia, her large purple eyes already full of trust. “Yes, I know. I was just afraid.” She blinked before her eyes widened. “Oh no, Princess, I’m sorry.” The filly practically leaped from Celestia’s grasp and onto the stone floor, before bowing. “M-Mother told me not to bother you unless you called, because you would be so busy, but I did it anyway. I wasn’t thinking, Princess, and I am sorry.”
“Twilight,” Celesita said, shaking her head. She scooped the filly into her wings again and made sure to look her in the eyes. “Twilight, no.” She held the filly closer. “I want to know when you’re troubled, or when you’re happy, or whatever it is that you want to share with me, okay?”

“But you have a whole empire to run. I shouldn’t bother you with my silly problems. You’re just here to teach me, not…” the filly grappled for the words she was wanting to say.

“I’m here for you, Twilight.” The filly looked up, a small smile forming on her face. “Yes, I have an empire to run, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have time for you, dear. Have you been keeping many things like this from me?”

Twilight shook her head. “No. I normally don’t have really bad dreams. I must have looked at the moon too much. Mother always said if you do, the mare will send you nightmares.” The yawning filly missed the flicker of emotion on Celestia’s face. “Oh, I’m sorry. I guess I should…umm..go.” The filly stood slowly and seemed to almost crawl out of Celestia’s embrace.

“Twilight, do you want to sleep with me tonight?”

“Yes,” Twilight bounded over to the other side of the bed and snuggled under the blanket so quickly it was almost as if she had teleported. “Thank you, Princess.” She gave one last yawn before turning onto her side. “Goodnight.”

Despite having to get up in a very short amount of time, Celestia found herself unable to sleep. She would have to ensure Twilight understood she could come to her for anything. A thought crossed her mind, and she would have snorted had she not had so many years to get such urges under control. She knew she felt something stronger than a simple student-teacher relationship for the small filly lying beside her. She felt as if the filly were part of herself. Twilight was so much more than just a student. Smiling to herself, Celestia leaned down and kissed the young filly just below the horn. “Goodnight, Twilight.”

As she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, she imagined many more times when she would feel like this. Time when she would think of herself, even if only for a few moments, as Twilight’s mother.

PreviousChapters Next