• Published 28th Feb 2016
  • 7,151 Views, 312 Comments

Of Love and Loss - tom117z



When Twilight becomes caretaker of the sun, everything falls apart. In the end, will she lose everything?

  • ...
20
 312
 7,151

5 - The Sun Rises

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza stood in position next to the crystal heart. Everything was set and the celebration was ready to go.

Or at least it would be, if the main attractions ever bothered to show up.

“Where are they?” Cadance said to herself, worried.

“Honey, you worry too much,” Shining Armor said as he approached, Flurry Heart sitting happily on his back.”

“Shiny, they should have been here minutes ago! Our ponies might begin to worry if the sun doesn’t rise soon.”

Shining gave a chuckle at his flustered wife’s expense, “They are fine, you are the only one who is panicking about this. What was the breathing technique you taught Twilight? Perhaps you should do that?”

“Oh hush you,” Cadance stuck her tongue out in a very childish manner, earning her another chuckle from her husband.

Cadance however, was not amused, “Am I wrong for wanting everything to go right? For something to go right ever since aunty Celestia-“ Cadance stopped as she choked down a sob.

“Oh Cadance…” Shining muttered, giving his wife a much needed hug.

Flurry Heart took the opportunity to hover climb into Shining’s head and jump onto her mother’s back, burrowing herself between her wings.

“Momma…” She muttered as she drifted to sleep.

Cadance smiled at her daughter, leaning her head back to give Flurry a loving nuzzle.

“Are you going to be OK?” Shining gently asked, wiping away a stray tear on his wife’s face.

“Yeah, it’s just still hard to believe. But I think I’m ready to start moving on.”

“Speaking of moving on, look who’s finally turned up,” Shining Armor pointed towards the two alicorns exiting the Crystal Palace.

“My apologies for the delay dearest niece,” Luna addressed the younger pink alicorn, “However, both myself and Twilight are ready to begin if you are.

Cadance nodded, “We’re all set here, just take your places on the stage and do your thing.”

“You make it sound so simple,” Twilight muttered.

“Hey LSBFF, you will do fine. I know you will,” Shining gave his little sister a light bump on the shoulder.

“Thanks BBBFF,” Twilight said before sighing, “Let’s just get this over with…”

“Come then Twilight, let us ready ourselves.”

Twilight gave the lunar alicorn a nod, before the latter turned and trotted towards the left of the stage. Twilight herself quickly depart for the right side, the alicorns entering on opposite ends.

“Here I am nearly breaking into sobs, and those two go about business as usual,” Cadance sighed.

“Believe me, they’re hurting. But Twily’s strong, as I can only guess is Luna. They will be fine,” Shining responded confidently.


Night continued to reign over Equestria as both citizens of the Crystal Empire and visitors alike chattered excitedly before a large, ornate stage that had been set up in front of the Crystal palace.

“Ohohoh! Do you think Twilight is going to do a TwiBoom like she did in her first celebration as princess?” Pinkie Pie babbled excitedly.

“Erm, ah don’t think Twi is gonna be able to do that sugarcube. She is a bit busy, you know, raisin’ the sun,” Applejack pointed out.

“Awww, I was hoping for a light show!”

Rarity looked at her excitable pink friend, “Well I must agree with Applejack’s assessment darling, you shouldn’t worry. I have heard they are going to be activating the Crystal Heart as the sun is raised high into the sky!”

“Ohhhhh, so will we get the super shiny coats?” Pinkie asked.

“Oh I do hope so darling, those crystal coats were absolutely fabulous! I simply cannot wait to experience such a wondrous event again.”

Rainbow Dash snorted, “Honestly, only you would get worked up about something like a shiny coat.”

Rarity huffed, “Rainbow Dash, even your downright barbaric sense in fashion must recognise the appeal of such a thing.”

Rainbow Dash shrugged, “Meh, they were OK. However, they could have been twenty per-“

“Don’t,” Applejack warned, “Sugarcube don’t even go there.”

“What? You didn’t even know what I was going to say!” Rainbow objected.

“Yeah, ah did. And ah said don’t.”

Rainbow crossed her hooves in a grump, “Fine, spoilsport.”

Fluttershy scuffed the ground nervously, “Well Rarity, I liked the crystal coats, they looked so lovely. But I, um… understand that not everypony would like them…”

“Hey, I never said I didn’t like them! It’s just not really my thing.”

“Oh, well… I guess that makes sense.”

“Yup, when is this shindig meant to start anyway? Shouldn’t the sun have raised by now.”

Applejack chuckled, “Knowin’ Twilight she is just making sure everythin’ is perfect.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes, “Probably. That mares and her checklists.”

“Wait! I think it’s starting!” Pinkie shouted as fanfare echoed across the crowd, bringing them all into a complete silence as the princesses finally made themselves known.

Both were dressed fully in their regalia, and both head soft smiles on their faces. However, anypony who knew Twilight well could easily spot the slight twitch in her ear, indicating her nervousness, that she was unsure of herself.

As the fanfare died down, Princess Luna gave her counterpart a nod of encouragement. A moment later she spread her wings wide and took to the air, raising her forehooves hi above her head.

The moon was engulfed in an unusually bright blue aura as it slipped from the sky.

As the moon disappeard, Twilight readied herself.

‘Come on Twilight, you’ve done this before! Though I did do it like a foal using a crayon for the first time. Oh sweet Celestia, I can’t do this! I can’t-‘

Twilight monologue was cut off as Luna finished in her duties, and the moon vanished completely.

‘It's now or never…’ Twilight mentally sighed.

Kicking off with her hooves, Twilight spread her wings like she had seen Celestia do so many times before, and reached out with her magic.

At first she couldn’t feel anything, and dread quickly filled her being.

Then she felt it.

She felt the sun, and it was calling to her, welcoming her with open arms. As her magic made contact it was nothing like when she raised the sun before. It was like she became the celestial body, and the celestial body became her. In that moment they were one and the same, and as she bonded with the bright, warm orb it was then that she truly became the Princess of the Sun.

The crowd could only gasp as they witnessed the young alicorn hovered in the sky, wings spread out and horn alight with a bright lavender aura.

And as the sun rose waves of light like the ponies had never seen were given off in pulses, passing through the crowd and whipping around the entire planet, contacting each and every being on its surface. Luna lightly smiled, having seen this event only once before, so very long ago.

And as the sun came to a stop high in the sky the waves finally faded away.

As the two alicorns lowered into the platform, Twilight stood up tall. Everypony was in awe, she had a warmth, a presence that was so reminiscent, and yet so very different from another pony they used to know. Her new and majestic ethereal mane flowed in the winds, like a wondrous twilight witnessed in the dawn and dusk.

A pulse erupted from the palace itself, reaching out to the love in the hearts of everypony as their coats took on an almost crystal-like quality.

The crowd erupted into thunderous applause, and the princesses of the sun and moon looked over their subjects lovingly, with smiles on their faces.