• Published 28th Feb 2016
  • 7,148 Views, 312 Comments

Of Love and Loss - tom117z



When Twilight becomes caretaker of the sun, everything falls apart. In the end, will she lose everything?

  • ...
20
 312
 7,148

19 - Distant

Canterlot



For the first time in many years, Princess Flurry Heart looked upon the gleaming towers of Canterlot Castle. Flurry had been called to the capitol of Equestria by Princess Luna, along with Dragon Lord Spike, who had yet to arrive. The letter she had received had been rather vague about the details, only that it involved her aunt, and seemed to be urgent in nature.

Flurry Heart hadn’t spoken to her aunt much since her father died, something she regretted greatly. With Flurry Heart trying to keep both the Crystal Empire and her own mother in working order she seldom had free time on her hooves, and eventually they had just drifted apart.

‘Perhaps I should have made time to write more, like I do sometimes with Luna. I should make that a priority, it will be good to see her again,’ Flurry Heart thought to herself.

She was escorted through the castle hastily, and after a trip through the pristine walls filled with motifs of day and night she found herself outside Princess Luna’s personal study. When the doors swung open she found Princess Luna herself on the balcony, looking out on the day’s bright blue sky. However, even though they didn’t have Cadenza’s connection to the heart, as alicorns Luna and Flurry both couldn’t miss the fact the sun’s rays held less… warmth in them as they normally would; Flurry Heart had been noticing it for a while. It wasn’t so much literal warmth, but the sun just seemed less welcoming than it should have. Flurry Heart had enquired with her mother on the subject, but she just burst into pained sobs when she did, only increasing the alicorn’s worry.

Flurry Heart was looking forward to seeing her aunt again, but there was also an underlying sense of dread she tried to bury deep.

Looking around the study, Flurry Heart noted the darker colour scheme befitting the Princess of the Moon, in great contrast to Twilight’s own study, which still looked nearly identical to when it was used by Celestia all those years ago. She had never actually visited Luna’s study before now, so she examined the décor in great detail.

“Luna,” Flurry greeted. “I received your message, what’s wrong?"

“Flurry Heart, welcome,” Luna greeted in return. “Leave us,” she ordered the guards, who bowed and stepped outside the room.

Luna’s horn lit up a bright blue as she placed several wards around the study to prevent any outside observation.

“It is best our ponies not know Twilight’s condition,” Luna explained solemnly.

“Condition?” Flurry asked worriedly. “Is she sick?”

“Not exactly,” Luna sighed. “Come, sit down and help yourself to some tea.”

“Tea? I thought you were more of a coffee pony?” Flurry smirked.

“Doesn’t mean I can’t be courteous towards any guests preferring tea over coffee,” Luna rebuked. “Though, tea was always more of Tia’s thing.”

“Coffee didn’t even exist before your banishment, did it?” Flurry asked as she sat down one side of the desk, and Luna the other.

Luna poured their respective drinks, and took a sip of her own before continuing.

“No,” Luna confirmed. “There were many sleepless nights when I first discovered the beverage.”

Flurry chuckled lightly. “I can imagine. I heard you drove Celestia up the wall.”

“Literally, at one point,” Luna grinned, before her smile faltered. “But alas, we should get back on topic.”

Flurry Heart sighed. “Yes, what’s wrong with my aunt if she isn’t sick? Or ‘not exactly’ sick, as you put it.”

Luna looked sadly down into her coffee, and couldn’t help but shed a tear that slid slowly down her cheek as she composed herself.

“Luna?” Flurry Heart called out gently.

“It’s been happening ever since Celestia died,” Luna started. “We were all devastated by Tia’s death, but I think Twilight blamed herself. Over time however it seemed to ease off, but perhaps she simply hid it behind that regal mask she wears so tightly. Tia taught her well, too well.”

Luna sighed. “Then when your father died, something happened during the attack…”

“What do you mean?” Flurry asked.

“Remember when you found us, Sombra’s echo had placed us in that trance?”

“How could I forget?” Flurry stated. “What about it?”

“I’ve seen such spells before, during the first conflict with the dark king,” Luna said. “He did it to Celestia, and she saw her greatest fear. Me.”

Flurry’s eyes widened. “You? What do you mean?”

Luna closed her eyes. “Tia feared my potential fall, something that came to pass. And I experienced a similar vision, with Twilight’s fall shown instead of my own.”

“That doesn’t mean much,” Flurry assured. “Sombra was likely trying to get inside your head, having been present during your sister’s vision.”

“I believed that too, at first,” Luna shook her head. “But she refused to divulge what it is she saw in her own vision. No matter how hard I tried she refused to reveal that information to me. But ever since then I’ve noticed a change.”

Flurry tilted her head. “A change?”

“She’s… not happy. There would be times when she would become distant, or I would see cracks in her mask. But nothing too serious, but then Applejack died. And then one by one her other friends followed, only a few months back Fluttershy finally passed away. She’s alone.”

“She’s not alone,” Flurry protested. “I know I’ve been distant, which I hope to change, and my mother is… unavailable. But she still has you and Spike!”

Pain filled Luna’s face, and more tears began to build at the bottom of her eyes.

“Luna?” Flurry asked cautiously. “What happened?”

“Flurry…” Luna sobbed. “I’ve done something terrible.”

Flurry sat there silently, all ears.

“You were right about us, Flurry Heart,” Luna said. “I love her, and she loved me back.”

Flurry’s face lit up, and she supressed a small squee, her mother was the Princess of Love after all. “I knew it! This is wonderful news! When will… wait. She loved you? Past tense?”

Luna nodded. “Shortly before Fluttershy’s passing, she came to me. And she admitted everything. We kissed… and then everything fell apart. I became so scared that my own past as Nightmare Moon would only make what I saw in my vision come true.”

“Luna…” Flurry muttered sadly, moving around the desk to comfort the breaking down alicorn.

“I drove her away, in my cowardice I broke her heart, and my own. I thought I was saving her but… she hasn’t said a word to me since outside of our duties. And the way she looks at me… hate. It’s a look I know all too well, because it is the one I would give Tia just before I became Nightmare Moon.”

“You fear your vision coming to pass, and soon,” Flurry noted.

“Yes,” Luna confirmed. “And after Fluttershy’s death she had become particularly distant. I’ve caught her crying more than once. History is repeating itself, and it’s all my fault!”

“No, Luna,” Flurry cooed. “It’s not, and I won’t go anywhere until you and Aunty Twilight have made up. I promise.”

Luna looked up at Flurry gratefully. “Thank you, I was hoping you and Spike would both agree to such an action. She needs us all right now, and we need to find out what Sombra showed her. He sowed my initial seeds of darkness when he showed me Tia’s fear and exploiting my early jealousy that I already held by that point, and I believe he may have done something similar to Twilight.”

“Sombra has already taken one member of my family,” Flurry said bitterly. “He won’t take another, I promise.”

A knock on the door drew their attention, and Luna wiped away all signs of her turmoil as she called them in.

"Your highness," the Lunar Guardspony saluted. "Dragon Lord Spike has arrived."

"Thank you, you may go," Luna nodded.

"We better go meet with him," Flurry said.

"Agreed," Luna said. "Tonight, when her duties come to an end, we will confront Twilight together. I just hope we aren't too late, or else my love will soon be lost, possibly forever."