• Published 4th Mar 2016
  • 4,362 Views, 107 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 3 - SuperPinkBrony12



The third installment of a What If series, that involves the rewriting of episodes. This collection contains episodes from Seasons 1-5 (Warning!: Episodes rewritten based on personal opinion, please respect it)

  • ...
3
 107
 4,362

S4 E22: Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 (What If?) (Bonus Chapter)

It was a lovely spring day in Equestria, and nowhere was it felt more than in the classroom of Ponyville Elementary. The various colts and fillies shifted anxiously in their seats, waiting for the school bell to ring and signify the end of class for the day.

Cheerilee was well aware of this fact, which is why she was currently standing at her desk with a huge stack of papers. Quickly attracting the attention of her students, she spoke to them "I have finished grading the tests from last week," she told them, as she grabbed the papers off her desk "I understand that this test was a little bit 'tricky' for lack of a better term."

"Try impossible," Ruby Pinch complained "There was so much information about the founders of Equestria, and far too many questions about obscure facts that almost nopony knows about." The rest of the class silently nodded in approval.

Cheerilee frowned a bit, but tried not to let it show too much "Anyway, I'm going to give you all your tests back so that you can see how you did. Rememeber, we have another test tomorrow on the history of The Wonderbolts. That test should hopefully be a little easier, but it will count more towards you overall grade, so be sure to study hard."

One by one, Cheerilee hoofed back the tests to each of her students, allowing them to see just how bad (or good) they had done.

Silver Spoon couldn't help but grin from ear to ear when she got her test results back "Eighty five out of one hundred!" she boasted, flaunting the test in front of the other students "I knew I was smart, but I didn't think I was this smart!" The other colts and fillies didn't take much notice, they were too busy focusing on their own test results. Some of them were relieved to see that they had not done as poorly as they thought, while others were shocked at just how many they'd gotten wrong.

"Seventy five out of one hundred," Apple Bloom said to Sweetie Belle "I guess that's okay, but I was so sure I was gonna do better."

"Well, I only got seventy three out of one hundred," Sweetie Belle replied "Mom and Dad might be impressed, but I'm still going to study really hard because I know the next one's going to be tricky. What about you, Scootaloo?"

Scootaloo held up her test score to reveal that she had scored sixity eight out of one hundred "I thought I was prepared for this test," she said glumly "Apparently, I didn't study nearly enough. I know it's not failing, but I need to do better or I'm gonna fail the class!"

"But the next test is on the history of The Wonderbolts," Sweetie Belle commented "You should have no trouble acing that, especially since you hang out with Rainbow Dash all the time."

"I didn't think there was much to the history of The Wonderbolts," Scootaloo replied unhappily "And Rainbow Dash apparently didn't know much about them either until recently. I'm gonna fail the test tomorrow, and flunk Miss. Cheerilee's class!" And she banged her head down on her desk, just as the school bell rang to signal the end of class.

"Come on, Scootaloo," Apple Bloom said in a reassuring tone of voice "Applejack says tests aren't everythin' when it comes to education. So you bomb one test, you could always take a make-up or do some extra credit to boost your grade."

"The make-up doesn't help me if I don't even know half of the material it features!" Scootaloo complained, as she and her fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders left the school house "And Miss. Cheerilee says there's not many extra credit opportunities left. I'm barely scraping by as it is, I have to pass this test by least a whole grade higher than I usually do, or my grade's going to plummet right into the toilet."

"At least you actually passed your most recent test, blank flank," Diamond Tiara muttered, stumbling past while looking more angry than usual. She held up her test to reveal that she'd gotten a score of only sixity one out of one hundred "When Mother hears about this, she's going to yell at me even more than she normally does. And Father's probably going to ground me until I pass the next test."

"As if that matters, you're always getting good grades on your homework!" Scootaloo replied.

"Yeah, because Father or Randolph always helps me if I get stuck," Diamond Tiara explained "And I can't ask for their help on tests, Miss. Cheerilee won't allow it. Just like you, I have to get a decent grade on the upcoming test, or I'm probably going to have to attend summer school."

Scootaloo shuddered at the thought of having to attend summer school, especially if she was forced to attend with Diamond Tiara. Already, she could picture her days being filled with endless amounts of taunts such as "Blank flank", "Dodo", and "Scootaloser".

"Go ahead, rub in your victory as much as you want," Diamond Tiara said glumly "Have your laugh now, anything's better than putting up with Mother's yelling."

"Does your Mom always yell at you?" Apple Bloom asked, when she saw Diamond Tiara's face briefly twist itself into a look of fright.

Diamond Tiara appeared to consider answering the question, and opened her mouth to speak. But before she could say anything, a voice angrily shouted out "Diamond Dazzle Tiara!"

Diamond Tiara gulped "Gotta go, looks like I've already stayed out for too long." And she took off without saying another word, leaving the Cutie Mark Crusaders baffled as to what they had just witnessed.


After stopping for cupcakes at Sugarcube Corner, Scootaloo decided to part ways with her fellow crusaders.

"Where are you going, Scootaloo?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"I must be studying all wrong," Scootaloo replied, as she hopped onto her scooter and fastened her helmet "If anypony can help me figure out how to properly study for a test, it's got to be Princess Twilight. She should know all about what it feels like to freak out about tests."

"What makes you say that? I mean, Princess Twilight is pretty smart, but I don't think I've ever seen her get all 'freaked out' about tests." Apple Bloom told Scootaloo.

"Seriously?" Scootaloo said with a roll of her eyes "It's like you don't even know her at all. Rainbow Dash says Twilight's freak outs are so incredible that she even sings entire freak out arias about freaking out. And I think I've walked in on one or two."

"Couldn't you just ask your parents for help?" Sweetie Belle suggested "Didn't you say your Mom used to be with The Wonderbolts?"

"Back before she met my dad and settled down," Scootaloo explained "I tried asking her for help on the homework, but she didn't know much. And neither did Dad. Princess Twilight's my best shot, and I've wasted enough sitting here, talking about it!" And with that, as if to make herself heard, Scootaloo sped away as fast as her scooter's wheels and her wings would let her.

"Guess we'd better go our seperate ways as well," Apple Bloom said to Sweetie Belle, once the two of them were alone "Applejack and Big Macintosh are always breathin' down my neck about studyin' more often."

"Same here, but with Rarity," Sweetie Belle replied "I just hope Twilight can give Scootaloo the help she needs. And I wish there was more we could do to help her study."


Twilight had just finished reshelfing all the books inside The Golden Oaks Library, and had stepped outside for a breath of fresh air. "Such a glorious Spring day," she thought to herself "Maybe I should try to see if those flying lessons with Rainbow Dash are paying off. She said it's possible for my wings to cramp up if I don't occasionally stretch them out a little."

However, before Twilight could even think about trying to fly, Scootaloo came rolling up to her on her scooter. She was out of breath, and panting heavily. "Twilight... you have to... help me... study." Scootaloo said in between pants, taking a moment to wipe the sweat from her brows.

"Help you study for what?" Twilight asked Scootaloo.

"For a... test... at school... tomorrow." Scootaloo panted again.

"Well, once you've taken a moment to catch your breath, come on inside and tell me everything." Twilight suggested.

"Okay... will do." Scootaloo nodded, still panting. It did indeed take a moment for her to catch her breath, but once she did she felt a little bit better. Then, she made her way inside The Golden Oaks Library.

"Would you like some tea?" Twilight offered, holding out a tea cup with her magic.

"No way, tea is for three year olds who like to have tea parties with their dolls!" Scootaloo protested.

"Scootaloo, tea isn't just for tea parties," Twilight explained "I go to Zecora's all the time for tea, and we don't have tea parties. The same holds true for Fluttershy and Discord, and they do it every Tuesday."

"And your point is?" Scootaloo asked in a skeptical tone.

"Tea can have a very calming effect on the nervous system," Twilight told Scootaloo "Even one cup of non herbal tea can be just the sort of thing needed to help you unwind. It's not healthy to get wound up so tightly all the time. Trust me, I speak from experience."

Scootaloo shuddered a little. She could well remember what had happened the last time Twilight had gotten so wound up, and that was back when she was just a unicorn. The image of Twilight with her mane sticking up and looking neglected, coupled with the shrinking eyes and the creepy smile, still made Scootaloo feel uneasy. "Okay, I guess a cup of tea wouldn't hurt." she shrugged, and reluctantly accepted the cup. Sure enough, just as Twilight had said, she felt much more relaxed once she drank the tea.

Twilight smiled "Now then, you said you needed my help studying for a test at school?" she asked Scootaloo.

Scootaloo nodded "It's on the history of The Wonderbolts! I never would've guessed that they had so much history! And I really need to do well on this test, or I'm gonna flunk!"

"Scootaloo, tests are not the only way to measure student success, and one test alone isn't going to make or break your grade," Twilight said to Scootaloo "There's a reason why homework and projects are also given."

"I know that, and so does everypony!" Scootaloo complained "But I haven't been doing the greatest on my homework or projects either. I haven't been failing them or anything, but I keep making mistakes that cost me lots of points. If anypony can help me learn how to study to the point where I don't make them again, it's you! Please, you have to help me!"

"Well, I'll see what I can do," Twilight replied "But I can't promise my methods will gurantee success. The only way you'll know for sure my method works for you, is when you get the results of your test back. I learned from Rainbow Dash that not everypony learns the same way, so it's possible these methods may not work for you even though they worked for me."

"Of course they'll work, why wouldn't they?!" Scootaloo complained "Are you going to help me, or not?!"

"I'm just trying to warn you in advance, Scootaloo," Twilight explained "Now, if you're ready, let's begin our study session."

"Don't hold back on me, Twilight. Give me everything you've got!" Scootaloo insisted.


After spending a little bit of time setting up a makeshift classroom on the ground floor of the library (this included a desk for Scootlaoo, and a chalkboard), Twilight was ready to start. Using her magic, she pulled out an incredibly thick book and dropped it onto Scootaloo's desk with a thud. Scootaloo's mouth dropped open in shock.

"This is the most complete—" Twilight spoke up.

"And ginormous!" Scootaloo interrupted.

"—book on the history of the Wonderbolts," Twilight continued, smiling brightly "It contains all the information we'll need."

"Okay, I figured that much out," Scootaloo told Twilight, then she nervously asked "But, just how am I supposed to get what's in there into here?" she pointed a hoof to her noggin to emphasize her point "That's a lot of information to take in all at once."

"Don't worry, Scootaloo," Twilight said with a smile "With my handy-dandy study checklist, we should have no trouble getting at least some of that book's information into your brain. Hope you're ready."

"Oh, I am." Scootaloo replied.

"Good," Twilight said happily "Okay, first up, reading and highlighting."

Scootaloo quickly opened up the history book, grabbed a highlighter with her mouth, and set to work. All the while, Twilight trotted back and forth in front of her desk, explaining to her how the method worked " Reading and highlighting is the foundation of any good study method," she told Scootaloo "It's what allows the student to hone in and boil down on what's really important, separating the good from the bad, the wheat from the chaff, getting to the crux of things. History books never intentionally include information that's not required, but you don't always need to know everything about a topic to be able to understand it. Sometimes, you don't need to know all the background details about a topic or subject."

Twilight then waited patiently, until Scootaloo had set down the highlighter, before she picked up the book with her magic. "Okay, let's see what you've got so far!" she said eagerly, and began to scroll through the textbook. However, she was a bit surprised and disappointed at what she saw. "It seems you highlighted more than you were supposed to." she told Scootaloo.

"Sorry, Twilight," Scootaloo apologized "I tried my best, there was a lot of information. It was hard to tell what wasn't important."

"It's alright, Scootaloo," Twilight reassured her "At least you didn't use the highlighter to draw a sketch of me looking taller than I actually am."

"What?" Scootaloo asked.

Twilight quickly shook her head "It's nothing. Anyway, it would seem reading and highlighting isn't the best strategy for you. Not to worry though, now we move on to the good old history lecture!"


After placing the history book back on the shelf, Twilight moved the chalk board closer to Scootaloo's desk in preparation for the lecture. But when she prepared to sit down at her desk, she was snapped out of her lecturing mood by a faintly audiable "Pfft!" sound. Twilight got up, and noticed a whoopee cushion had been placed on her desk chair.

Scootaloo giggled a bit "Sorry, couldn't resist," she said with a chuckle "I didn't think you'd actually fall for it."

"I sure hope you don't waste all your class time playing pranks on the teacher, Scootaloo," Twilight replied, a hint of anger in her voice "The classroom is a place for learning, not a place for fooling around and acting like a clown."

"Oh, don't worry," Scootaloo said, chuckling a bit more "The only other pony I ever pranked was Diamond Tiara, and I got the loudest whoopee cushion I could find for her. You should've been there, I didn't think it was possible for a pony's cheeks to turn that red. Too bad Miss. Cheerilee found out, and made me apologize. It's not like I did anything really harmful. Besides, Diamond Tiara deserved it for making fun of my wings! She's lucky that's the worst I did to her!"

Twilight cleared her throat and changed the subject "Well, anyway, are you comfortable?" she asked Scootaloo.

"About as comfortable as I can be, I guess." Scootaloo replied.

Twilight beamed a bright smile at Scootaloo "Good. Now then, prepare to experience the magic of learning. Feel free to take notes, and don't worry, I'm not going to be one of those teachers that pulls a pop quiz right after the lecture."

"That's music to my ears." Scootaloo said, breathing a much needed sigh of relief. She quickly retrieved some looseleaf paper and a pencil, and began to jot down notes, as Twilight went into lecture mode.

"Prior to Luna's banishment, there was no need for any sort of protection for the princesses," Twilight began "The Earth, Unciorn, Pegasi, or E.U.P guard was not formed until after that faithful night 1,000 years ago. Because the two princesses wielded The Elements of Harmony, they were more than capable of protecting themselves from all threats. But after Luna's banishment, the Protective Pony Platoons were formed to protect the now vulnerable Princess Celestia."

Scootaloo jotted down notes as best she could, struggling to keep up.

Twilight just continued to lecture. "On the anniversary of the first Celestial year of peace, a celebration was held. Headed by General Firefly I, an elite team of aerial performers were chosen to help celebrate the occasion. The performance of those flyers was so full of energy, and so magically charged, that it could not be contained to the flyers themselves. Magical lightning showered down on the crowd. Everypony was so filled with amazement and wonder that General Firefly dubbed them 'the Wonderbolts'! And to this day, they have remained the greatest aerial performers in all of Cloudsdale! In time, other leaders such as General Flash, and Colonel Purple Dart would take over. And with each new leader, new elements were added. Changes were made, until The Wonderbolts became what they are today. And that, is a brief history of The Wonderbolts!"

Scootaloo had been listening eagerly the entire time, and when the lecture was finished, she clapped her hooves in applause. "You sure you're not secretly a former teacher from Canterlot or something?" she asked "Because you have all the makings of one, heck I think you could take Miss. Cheerilee's place in a heartbeat and nopony would mind. Not that I expect Miss. Cheerilee to retire or move anytime soon."

"Oh, I'm no teacher, at least not on a professional level," Twilight chuckled "But I'm glad you enjoyed my lecture. Did you make sure to take notes, those are always a big help in any lecture."

"I sure did, see for yourself!" Scootaloo nodded, and showed Twilight an entire page worth of notes.

Twilight was amazed "Wow, that's a lot more information than I thought you'd write down," she said to Scootaloo "You don't have to write every last detail, just key terms, phrases, and figures. But maybe my favorite style of learning can help you with that."

"And what would that be?" Scootaloo asked Twilight.

"Flashcards!" Twilight said eagerly.

"Oh, does that mean I'll learn in a flash?" Scootaloo teased.

Twilight laughed a little "One can only hope. I've prepared some cards on various Wonderbolts leaders and important moments in their history, I'll read them to you once, then I want you to repeat what I told you on the second run through. Understand?"

"Yes I do. Ready when you are." Scootaloo replied.


It took some time for Scootaloo to get the idea of the flash cards lecture down, but once she did she had very little trouble. Only a few cards tripped her up, and even then Twilight encouraged her not to give up. On the tenth run through of the cards, Scootaloo was able to get every single one of them correct.

Twilight smiled "Excellent job, Scootlaoo. I think you've gotten the hang of flash cards pretty well. So then, would you like to put my methods to the test?"

"How so?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well, I'll give you a mock quiz to do," Twilight explained "Just answer the questions as best you can, and then I'll tell you the results once I've looked over the quiz."

"Okay then, I'm ready!" Scootaloo said eagerly.

"Very well." Twilight replied, and after taking some time to come up with a convincing mock quiz, she placed it on Scootaloo's desk.

Scootaloo carefully looked over the questions and the answers provided, and selected the ones she thought sounded right in her head. At last, she answered the last question and said to Twilight "All done!"

Twilight picked up the mock quiz with her magic, and instructed Scootaloo to wait while said quiz was graded.

Several tense seconds passed, as Scootaloo waited anxiously for the results. "Oh please, please tell me I did good!" she thought to herself.

After about three minutes had passed, Twilight approached Scootaloo, and gave her the mock quiz again. Nervously, Scootaloo looked at the results, and frowned. "Sixty nine out of one hundred? That's only one better than my last test!"

"I'm sorry, Scootaloo," Twilight said in a somber tone "But it seems like there were quite a few instances where you second guessed yourself, even though you had the right answer."

"But! But I don't understand!" Scootaloo complained "I took notes and got the flash cards right in a couple of rounds! How could I have done so badly?! If that had been the actual test, my grade would be right at the failing level! And it would be all your fault!"

"My fault?! I'm the one helping you!" Twilight protested, before she realized she was getting mad and tried to calm herself down "Look, Scootaloo, blaiming me isn't going to solve anything. I'm sorry I couldn't help you as much as you would like, but it's like I told you earlier, my methods don't work for everypony."

"I'll say," Scootaloo remarked "Maybe your famous study methods aren't all they're cracked up to be, eh, teacher?!"

"I'll have you know that I've used these methods to study for many a test and passed!" Twilight told Scootaloo "But Rainbow Dash didn't click with my methods, yet she was able to pass her Wonderbolts Reserve exam."

"How?" Scootaloo asked.

"I wish I could explain it, Scootaloo," Twilight replied "But Rainbow Dash's method is something that it is difficult to put into words, at least for me. You're better off asking her yourself."

"Do you think Rainbow Dash's methods could work for me?" Scootaloo asked Twilight hopefully.

"I'm afraid I don't have an answer for that, Scootaloo," Twilight admitted "Just because my method didn't work doesn't automatically mean Rainbow Dash's method will work. What you need to do, is find whatever method of studying works best for you. Maybe Rainbow Dash's method is the answer to that, and maybe it isn't."

"Then, I'm on my own?" Scootaloo concluded.

"For now, I'm afraid so," Twilight replied "But if you feel like giving my methods another shot, or just want to ask me something, I'll be here."

"Thanks, Twilight," Scootaloo said, feeling a little bit better than when she had arrived "I'm sorry I yelled at you earlier, I didn't mean to make you upset. I just got really mad, you know."

"Oh, you don't have to apologize," Twilight insisted "That wasn't the first time my methods were insulted, and I get the feeling they won't be the last. Good luck finding Rainbow Dash though, I have no idea where she could be. She wasn't at her home when I stopped by, but that was hours ago."

"If you see her, do you promise to tell her I've been looking for her?" Scootaloo asked Twilight.

"Of course I can," Twilight said happily "Just don't stay out too late looking for her. You won't have me to hide behind, this time."

Scootaloo didn't reply, she was already too far away to hear. All she could focus on right now, was finding Rainbow Dash, and learning how she studied for tests.


"Now, if I were Rainbow Dash, where would I be on a day like today?" Scootaloo thought to herself, as she sped across town on her scooter. In fact, Scootaloo was going so fast, she didn't notice until too late that somepony was on the same path she was on. Scootaloo braked hard, but was unable to stop herself from crashing face first into Fluttershy's side.

"Oh my goodness," Fluttershy exclaimed "Are you alright, Scootaloo?"

It took a second for Scootaloo to regain her composure, but once she did she quickly rose to her feet and said "I'll live, nothing's broken."

"You were certainly in a hurry," Fluttershy remarked "What's the rush?"

"I'm looking for Rainbow Dash, I need to know how she studies for tests," Scootaloo replied "Can you help me find her, please?!"

"I'm sorry, Scootaloo, but I haven't seen Rainbow Dash all day." Fluttershy apologized.

Scootaloo's heart sank "Just great." she said sarcastically.

"Why do you need to know about Rainbow Dash's test studying methods so badly?" Fluttershy asked Scootaloo.

"Because I've got a test on the history of The Wonderbolts coming up tomorrow, and I need to do a good job or I'm gonna flunk my class and have to take summer school," Scootaloo said in one breath "I tried Twilight's methods, but they just didn't work for me, and I don't know what else to do!"

Much to Scootaloo's surprise, Fluttershy looked at her with a smile that would make Pinkie Pie proud and said "If you need help with studying, you should've come to see me. I don't study for tests the way most ponies do."

"You mean, you don't learn the Twilight way?" Scootaloo asked.

Fluttershy nodded "I prefer something a little more unconventional. But it's done wonders for me whenever I need to study. I'm sure it could do the same for you."

"Then teach it to me!" Scootaloo pleaded "Please, at this point I'm willing to try anything to pass that test! Anything short of cheating that is!"


Fluttershy led Scootaloo to a small stage in the park, the same stage that often saw musical performances from The Ponytones or the school choir. However, the performance beind held on the stage at the moment, was anything but musical. In fact, no sounds at all could be heard on the stage, except for the occasional chatter amongst the cast members.

"So, how does this work?" Scootaloo asked Fluttershy "I'm not learning anything right now."

"Patience, Scootaloo," Fluttershy replied and turned to Spike "Is everyone ready?"

"Ready and waiting, just give the word!" Spike instructed.

"Okay then, places everypony," Fluttershy said cheerfully, the performers did so without hesitation "Give the word, Spike." Fluttershy instructed.

"Action!" Spike shouted through a megaphone, and out trotted two pegasi that Scootaloo had never seen before. They each wore a headpiece that resembled the flowing manes of the two princesses of Equestria.

"This is the two royal pony sisters, Celestia and Luna, from back when they were happy," Fluttershy narrated to Scootaloo "But one faithful day, when Luna refused to lower the moon for the coming dawn, Celestia was forced to banish her to the moon."

The pegasus mare dressed as Princess Luna dramatically put a hoof to her head and shouted "Nooo!" as she was dragged off the stage.

Then, out trotted three more ponies. Scootaloo recognized them as Time Turner, Sparkler, and Derpy. "Those are-" Scootaloo realized.

"The E. U. P., helping to protect Princess Celestia," Fluttershy interrupted "The first Wonderbolts were recruited from the pegasi serving in this group. And that leads us to that faithful celebration of The First Year of Celestial Peace."

But before the play could progress, there was trouble. Part of Sparkler's costume got stuck on a nail sticking up from one of the floorboards. When she attempted to pull herself free, she ended up using a bit too much force and bumped straight into Time Turner. Time Turner lost his balance, and tried to grab hold of something to keep from falling. But all he managed to do, was grab hold of Derpy and drag her down with him. As a result, Derpy ended up bumping into some of the stage props, and in seconds a catastrophic chain reaction unfolded.

Luckly, nopony was hurt, but the performance had been ruined. The stage was now completely unuseable.

"Stop, stop, stop!" Scootaloo shouted "I barely learned anything from that performance before it was forced to end. It was aw—"

"Awesome!" Pinkie Pie interrupted, bouncing into view "I love a good show, even if this one didn't last very long. I give it three woohoo's! Woohoo, woohoo, woohoo! And an extra 'woo' for good measure! Woo!"

"Thanks for the compliment, Pinkie Pie," Fluttershy replied "It's just too bad it can't continue. But it'll take a long time to repair this stage."

"That's time I don't have," Scootaloo muttered "And as for that play, I just give a 'whoa, whoa, what?' I'm totally confused and I just wanna get out of here. Even if I can't find Rainbow Dash, at least I can spend the rest of my day studying at home."

But Pinkie Pie wasn't about to let Scootaloo leave "Whoa your woes there, woeful. Some ponies learn through theatrical presentation, but other ponies learn through musical intervention," she said cheerfully "And yours truly is one of them."

"You know the history of The Wonderbolts?" Scootaloo asked doubtfully.

"I've picked up a few things from some of my pegasi friends," Pinkie Pie explained "One of them's even a distant cousin of mine who used to fly with them. Now, you just sit back and relax, while I show you my method of studying. It'll blow your mind!" And she began to sing.

"So, do you get it now?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"I don't know," Scootaloo nervously admitted "For the most part, it seemed to sound like 'Wiki, wiki, wiki! General This and Colonel That, they're the Wonderbolts, something that rhymes with that!'"

"Maybe a reprise will help you get it down?" Pinkie Pie suggested "Sometimes, if you really want to learn this way, you've got to listen to the song more than once. It took me weeks to come up with this song, and it took even longer to get it set to the right beat."

"But I've gotta learn this stuff! Now!" Scootaloo complained "I'm sorry, Pinkie Pie, but your method only barely makes more sense than Fluttershy's method. No offense."

"None taken," Fluttershy replied "But there's plenty of other studying methods out there, I'm sure you'll find the right one for you."

"And I am just the pony to help!" Rarity boasted, appearing before Scootaloo dressed in an outfit that looked like it wouldn't be out of place in a marching band. "I think I know of a way that'll work like a charm!"

"Rarity, you look completely ridiculous!" Scootaloo giggled "Don't tell me you know about the history of The Wonderbolts as well?"

"Oh I do. Not enough to be an expert on the subject, mind you, but enough to where I think I can help you," Rarity replied "Want to give my method a shot?"

"Well, why not?" Scootaloo said with a sigh "It's better than wasting my time looking for somepony that might not even be around."

"I am going to ignore that comment out of my desire to help you," Rarity told Scootaloo "Now, follow me."


Rarity led Scootaloo to Carousel Boutique, much to Scootaloo's displeasure. She had nothing against the place, and didn't mind wearing a dress when the occasion called for it, but fashion was not something she was into.

"Get ready, Scootaloo," Rarity said eagerly "For I am going to take you on an historical adventure in fashion!"

"Hey, I thought you said you were going to teach me about the history of The Wonderbolts?!" Scootaloo complained "What does that have to do with fashion?!"

"It's actually quite simple, Scootaloo. If you would allow me to explain," Rarity replied "I am simply showing off my preferred method of learning. I find it helps that whenever there's something you need to learn, start from an area or aspect that interests you, and go from there. In this case, since I am majorly into fashion, I have used it as a starting point. I have done some research into the historical outfits of past Wonderbolts leaders, including their founder, General Firefly I. And from there, I have looked into anything that stands out about the outfits. For example, right now I am modeling the rather unattractive, and frankly itchy, original Wonderbolts flying costume. Back then, this is the best they could do."

"Why is that?" Scootaloo asked Rarity "Why would anypony wear something so itchy?"

"Because, Scootaloo, higher quality fabrics could only be imported from overseas at a great cost," Rarity explained "And unfortunately, when the Wonderbolts were just starting out, they operated on a shoestring budget. It was only as their impressive aerial performances attracted more attention, that The Wonderbolts were given the budget needed to upgrade. Thanks to the vision of Flair d'Mare, the Wonderbolts ensemble became more streamlined in a wonderfully breathable fabric. Of course, there were fashion hits... and misses. Just look at those dreadful bell-bottoms, I can easily see why this style did not last long after General Flash's departure."

"I dunno. I bet General Flash rocked these thangs!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

Scootaloo was shocked, and nearly jumped in surprise "Pinkie, you're real!" she exclaimed "I'm under attack from fashion models!"

"Whoa, whoa, calm down," Rarity said to Scootaloo "I apologize if Pinkie Pie startled you, but I needed some models for the various outfits of the famous generals, and Pinkie Pie was one of the only ponies available on such short notice."

"I don't think I like this method very much," Scootaloo said nervously "It's too much to take in all at once! It's too much for my eyes!"

"Now, don't you fret, sugarcube," Applejack spoke up, taking off her outfit "No offense to Rarity, but this whole fashion show nonsense wouldn't help me learn anythin' either."

"Really? Well, what special study trick do you have, Applejack?" Scootaloo asked.

"Who, me? Oh, I got nothin'," Applejack admitted, as she led Scootaloo outside "The way I see it, you can study as much you like, but the only true way you learn is through experience. I could tell you all there is now about a variety of things, farmin', history, you name it. But I picked all that up through years of obeservation and experience. Tests aren't a bad thing, but they ain't the best way to determine if ponies know enough about a subject or not."

"Have you seen Rainbow Dash at all?" Scootaloo asked Applejack.

"Sorry, I'm afraid I haven't." Applejack replied.

Then, to the surprise of everypony present, Scootaloo sighed and said glumly "Then, I might as well just head home and try to study a little more while I still can. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll at least get enough to pass. I appreciate your help, everypony, but none of your methods work for me."

"Scootaloo, wait!" Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Twilight called (Fluttershy and Twilight had both been brought in to serve as fashion models for Rarity's history tour), but it was too late, Scootaloo was gone!


"Maybe my Mom will still remember a thing or two from when she was with The Wonderbolts," Scootaloo thought to herself, as she sped home "At the very least, I can see if she has any sort of method she uses to help her study. It can't be any worse than any of the other methods I've tried so far. I just wish I knew how Rainbow Dash studies, and whether or not it worked for me."

"Hey, squirt," a familiar voice called out, breaking Scootaloo out of her unhappy thoughts "Heard you've been looking for me." Just a second later, Rainbow Dash touched down lightly in front of Scootaloo, who skidded to a halt to avoid crashing into her honorary big sister.

"Rainbow Dash? Where have you been all day?!" Scootaloo asked impatiently "Nopony knew where you were, I'd given up on trying to find you."

"Sorry, Scootaloo," Rainbow Dash apologized "Something came up at work on short notice, I didn't have time to leave a note. Luckly, I got it all straightened out. Now, what's with the long face? You know I don't like seeing you all down in the dumps."

"It's nothing," Scootaloo replied glumly "Nothing you could help with me anyway."

"Are you sure about that, Scootaloo?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I'm pretty sure." Scootaloo reluctantly nodded.

"Well, how do I know that's the case if you won't tell me what's bugging you?" Rainbow Dash asked kindly "I just want to help you out, that's what sisters do."

"I'm beyond help at this point, I've tried everything," Scootaloo complained "I'm never gonna pass that test tomorrow. I'm going to flunk the class."

"Test? What test?" Rainbow Dash asked Scootaloo.

"A test on the history of The Wonderbolts," Scootaloo explained "I've tried every study method there is, and not one of them's worked for me. I thought maybe you might have some kind of trick to studying, but at this point I don't think even you could help me. If even Twilight and Rarity's methods can't help me, then whatever way I learn is a way that can't help me pass my test."

"So you're going to just give up?!" Rainbow Dash remarked.

"It's not like I have much of a choice, I don't know what else to do." Scootaloo said sadly.

Rainbow Dash lost patience "Scootaloo, I've been where you are, and I know how it feels when you can't seem to learn what you need to pass a test. But giving up is never an acceptable option! Do you want to know how I passed my Wonderbolts Reserve entrance exam? My friends helped me find a method that worked best for me, and never once did they give up on me and deem me a lost cause!"

"But I've tried every kind of studying," Scootaloo complained "Nothing's worked."

"So, you haven't given my method a shot yet," Rainbow Dash replied "My method's a little tough to explain, but I'm confident it'll help you out if you give it a try."

"Go ahead and try your best, it won't make a difference." Scootaloo said glumly.

Rainbow Dash smiled "Oh, I think it will. Now, let me tell you what I want you to do. In a little bit, I want you to meet me at Sugarcube Corner. Once you're there, I'll ask you some questions, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you remember. So, how about it, kid? Want to give the Rainbow Dash method an honest attempt?"

"Well, why not. It's not like I've got anything left to lose." Scootaloo shrugged.

"Trust me, this will work," Rainbow Dash replied "Now, I need to get everything set up. When I come back, you can head to Sugarcube Corner, okay?"

"Okay." Scootaloo nodded, and she watched as Rainbow Dash disappeared in a blur of rainbow light.


A little later, Rainbow Dash returned, smiling brightly. "Okay, everything's all set. See you at Sugarcube Corner, kid."

"Alright, see you there!" Scootaloo replied, as she hopped onto her scooter, fastened her helmet, and sped away.

Scootaloo journey to Sugarcube Corner passed mostly uneventfully, though she couldn't help but overhear a few faint things that sounded vaguely familiar. "No, I must be hearing things. There's no way that's how Rainbow Dash's method works." she thought to herself.

When Scootaloo arrived at Sugarcube Corner, she parked her scooter, hung up her helmet, and went inside. And sure enough, there was Rainbow Dash, chomping happily away on a cupcake.

"Hey, Scootaloo. How was your ride?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Good," Scootaloo replied "But I don't really understand what your method was. How was it supposed to work?"

"Well, what do you remember about your ride to Sugarcube Corner?" Rainbow Dash asked Scootaloo "Anything important?"

Scootaloo sighed "I don't think so," but then something came jumping into the forefront of her mind "Except after Luna was banished to the moon, Celestia needed protective forces, so Earth, Unicorn, and Pegasi formed the E. U. P. Guard of the Protective Pony Platoons."

"And?" Rainbow Dash asked, a faint smile forming on her face.

Scootaloo, still suspecting nothing said "And, at the celebration of the first Celestial year of peace, an elite flying squadron performed, headed by General Firefly, who later named the group the Wonderbolts!" By now, her tone of voice was starting to become much more cheerful "Wait, what's going on?! I... I know the history of The Wonderbolts! I know it all! But how in Equestria did that happen?" she asked outloud.

Rainbow Dash's smile grew so big that Scootaloo thought for sure it was going to leap right off her face "An experienced flyer like me knows how to multitask. Whenever I'm flying, in order to stay safe in the sky, I've got to hear and see everything down to the littlest details. I always make note of everything when I fly."

"But I didn't fly!" Scootaloo remarked.

"You didn't have to fly," Rainbow Dash replied, and explained "My method involves multitasking, and memorizing details. For me, that happens whenever I fly, but for other ponies it can happen in a variety of ways. In this case, riding your scooter puts you in the same situation I'm in when I'm flying."

"Well, your method rocks!" Scootaloo cheered, hugging Rainbow Dash tightly "How could I have ever doubted you?"

"Hey, you were feeling down on your luck and not looking on the bright side of things," Rainbow Dash said to Scootaloo "But the most important thing to remember, Scootaloo, is that everypony learns and studies differently. Just because your method is based on my method doesn't mean it's exactly the same. And it can be applied to more than just tests, because tests aren't the only way of finding out how much you know."

Just then, Scootaloo's ears perked up, as a familiar cheerful voice cried out "Scootaloo!" Scootaloo realized at once who that voice belonged to. And sure enough, in the distance she could just faintly spot the familiar amber coat of her mother, Dizzy Twister. "Gotta go, Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo called "It's getting late, and Mom wants me home. Thanks for not giving up on me though, even when I was ready to give up on myself."

"Hey, it's what big sisters do!" Rainbow Dash said cheerfully "I know you'll do well on that test tomorrow, just make sure you put your new study method to good use!"

"Will do!" Scootaloo replied, and after climbing onto her scooter, she sped off for home.


A few days later, Cheerilee hoofed back the results of the test on the history of The Wonderbolts. "I must say, I'm quite surprised," she said with a cheerful smile "Many of you did much better on this test than you did on your previous tests. One of you in particular really surprised me with how well you did."

Silver Spoon once again cheered, when she got her test results back "Eighty out of one hundred! I doubt anypony's going to top a score like that! I really am the smartest filly in class!"

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle said nothing, they had scored seventy seven and seventy nine out of one hundred respectively. They didn't like Silver Spoon's gloating, but there was little they could do to make her stop.

Scootaloo, however, grinned at Silver Spoon as she asked "I'm sorry, would you care to repeat that last sentence, you little brat!"

This made Silver Spoon angry "How dare you!" she snorted at Scootaloo "You've got some nerve saying that to me, I'll bet you flunked this test!" But Silver Spoon was in for the shock of her life when Scootaloo held up her test to reveal that she had scored eighty two out of one hundred. "Impossible!" Silver Spoon exclaimed "How did you get so smart so fast?!"

"Simple, I just found a method of studying that works for me," Scootaloo replied "Guess you're not as high and mighty as you thought."

Silver Spoon was still angry, but she quickly realized that she'd been knocked off her pedestal "Well, you've got me there," she said to Scootaloo "Beaten by a blank flank, never thought I'd see the day. Guess that's what happens when I get too cocky though."

"Oh, so now you understand the concept of humility!" Apple Bloom thought to herself, but she knew it was best not to say such a thing outloud.

Meanwhile, Diamond Tiara was anything but silent. "I only got seventy five out of one hundred," she remarked "You've got to show me how it is that you became so smart in such a short amount of time! I'll do anything!"

"'Anything' huh?" Scootaloo pondered, a bit of a sadistic smirk appearing on her face "Well then, you know what I want to hear. An apology."

"For what?" Diamond Tiara asked, before she quickly realized what Scootaloo was talking about "Oh no, you can't be serious! I said I was sorry!"

"Well, how's about another one for the record?" Scootaloo asked.

Diamond Tiara sighed, and put on the most sincere apology face she could muster "I'm sorry I teased you about your wings, and made you feel like you had to fly even when you couldn't do it."

"And?" Scootaloo encouraged.

"And I'm sorry about the 'Twilight Time' fiasco." Diamond Tiara added.

"AND?" Scootaloo encouraged again.

Diamond Tiara growled, before she added "And, I'm sorry I exploited Sweetie Belle's stage fright because I got jealous. There, are you happy?!"

"Almost," Scootaloo smirked "There's one more thing I'd like to see from you."

Diamond Tiara hissed furiously "You actually want to see me BEG?!" she remarked "I don't think so! You're pushing your luck, Scootaloo!"

"I know," Scootaloo giggled "I was just teasing you, the apology is enough. Now, why don't we stay after class, and we can figure out what study method works best for you."

Author's Note:

And so, just days before Season 6 debuts, I present you to the second bonus chapter and the last of the pre Season 5 rewrites.

I understand why this episode exisits as it does, the intended moral will resonate better with the target audience if someone like Rainbow Dash learns it, because kids will look up to the mane six as role models. And if they see their role models going through the same struggles they're going through, they'll feel better. Whereas, if a kid character like Scootaloo was learning this lesson, they'd just assume said kid character is lucky.

However, taking a suggestion from Mr.Enter, I decided to make Scootaloo the character of focus here, and make it somewhat similar to "Cutie Mark Chronicles". There is the problem of the moral being too optimistic for the American Education System, but the message will hopefully spark meaningful debate about how to messure student success and academic progress, without forcing students to learn a certain way and penalizing those who don't learn that way.

I've talked a lot about the headcanon of Dizzy Twister being Scootaloo's mother in other stories, so I won't repeat myself here.

I also decided to throw in a bit of foreshadowing to Spoiled Rich and Diamond Tiara's heel face turn in "Crusaders of The Lost Mark", for those who complain that there was never anything to suggest it and thus it felt forced and out of nowhere.

With the end of my first semester at EMU fast approaching, it's possible that this rewrite series might have to be put on hold, but for now I'm going to try and stick to my schedule of one rewrite a week. And remember, no Season 6 episodes will appear in this collection, regardless of how they turn out.

Episodes to be rewritten:
A Bird In The Hoof
A Friend in Deed
Apple Family Reunion (Bonus Chapter)
Power Ponies
Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 (Bonus Chapter)
Castle, Sweet Castle
Appleloosa's Most Wanted
Princess Spike
Canterlot Boutique
Scare Master
Hearthbreakers (Bonus Chapter)
What About Discord?

Previously rewritten episodes:
Boast Busters
Look Before You Sleep
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Green Isn't Your Color
Over A Barrel
Luna Eclipsed
The Cutie Pox
Hearth's Warming Eve
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
It's About Time
One Bad Apple
The Show Stoppers
Owl's Well That Ends Well
Dragon Quest
Spike at Your Service
Just For Sidekicks
Games Ponies Play
Bats!
Rainbow Falls
Three's A Crowd
Filli Vanilli
Somepony to Watch Over Me
A Bird In The Hoof
A Friend in Deed
Apple Family Reunion (Bonus Chapter)
Power Ponies