• Published 18th Mar 2016
  • 6,023 Views, 184 Comments

By Her Side - Lady Froey



After losing her powers at the Battle of the Bands, Adagio separates herself from the Sirens and spent the last several years adjusting to living as a regular individual in the human world. Attending the local college, she runs into Sunset Shimmer.

  • ...
15
 184
 6,023

Chapter 6 - Forgiveness

“Sparing you was a mistake.”

What?

Adagio was trapped, surrounded by darkness, alone. She tried to find the source of the voice, but it was as if it surrounded her.

Six colorful ponies circled around Adagio, with a purple pony with a horn and wings standing in front of her.

“Twilight?” Adagio was able to recognize her from her hair, nor could she forget that voice of hers.

“Adagio Dazzle! Sunset was a better pony until you showed up. Your influence will only take her down her old evil path.”

“But I have changed! For the better!” Adagio said, looking down at Twilight. “Please, just give me a chance.”

“What makes you think you deserve a chance?” Applejack stepped forward. “What’s to stop you from turning against us?”

“I would never do something like that; just ask Sunset! She trusts me! Why can’t all of you?” Adagio asked.

“You tell us now you are trustworthy, but your past does not,” Twilight replied.

“I don’t even know my past; you took that from me!” Adagio yelled

“I’m sorry, Adagio, but we can’t allow you to be around Sunset.” Twilight’s horn emitted a glow. “For the safety of Equestria, we must be rid of you, entirely.”

The floor below Adagio opened into a void of light. Blinded, she fell into the void. The light surrounding her was similar to the wave of magic that originally took her power years back, only this time it didn’t stop and every part of her body began to burn like it was on fire.

She opened her eyes and looked down; whatever garments she had were immediately burned away, her skin was next to go. She felt nothing but intense pain and could only scream. Looking up above, she saw Sunset stepping out from the darkness, standing next to Twilight.

“Sunny!” She reached her hand out. “Help me! Please!”

“I’m sorry.” Sunset looked away from Adagio. “But, this is the only way.”

Adagio screamed and opened her eyes. She sat up looking at her surroundings. It was pitch black again, the pain was gone and her body instead was covered in sweat.

“Adagio?” Sunset mumbled beside her in bed, turning over to her. “Is everything all right?”

Adagio was visibly shaking. Just a nightmare, a dream. Get yourself together.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She looked at Sunset. “Can I just… hold you?”

“Of course.”

Adagio wrapped her arms around Sunset. She sighed and rested her head against her chest, listening to the slow, soothing rhythm of her heartbeat. When Adagio fell asleep again, her dreams were free of nightmares.


After a rough night, the two woke up later than planned. They rushed throughout the morning and got ready to meet Twilight by noon. Leaving the apartment, they made it to Canterlot High School just in time.

The school grounds remained largely empty on Sundays since the school was closed. Sunset and Adagio waited on the sprawling front lawn of the school grounds next to the statue of a horse, the base of which formed the portal to Equestria.

“I never thought I would be back here,” Adagio said. Sunset stood next to her.

“It’s been quite some time, huh?” she said.

“It has,” Adagio replied. “Is Twilight the kind of person—”

“Pony,” Sunset interjected.

“Whatever,” Adagio grumbled. “The kind of pony that shows up exactly on the dot?”

“Yeah, what time is it?”

Adagio checked her phone.

“It’s almost twelve.”

“Right,” Sunset took a deep breath and exhaled. “No pressure.”

“You sure about that?” Adagio asked.

“Not really,” Sunset sighed. “Can you do me a favor?”

“What is it?”

“Can you stand on other side of the statue, out of sight?”

Adagio raised an eyebrow.

“I’m just worried if she sees you first, she’ll freak out like Applejack did,” Sunset said. “Let me just say hi to her and I will tell you when to come out. I promise it won’t be long.”

“Tch.” Adagio placed her hands in her pockets. “Fine, don’t keep me waiting too long, dear.” She disappeared behind the statue.

Soon enough, there was a flash of light as a woman materialized from the statue, right on time. She wore a formal outfit with a light blue button up long-sleeve shirt and a dark purple mid-length skirt with black low top slip-ons. Her midnight blue hair had a single pink-and-purple stripe down the length, which reached her mid-back.

The woman patted down her clothes and hair, then saw Sunset and smiled, giving her a tight hug.

“Sunset!” She said.

“Hey, Twilight!” Sunset returned a smile and hugged her as well.

“It’s so good to see you! I’ve been busy with so many princess duties, I hardly have any time to hang out with my friends nowadays.”

“I’ve been busy as well with school, and um…” Sunset stopped, knowing soon she would have to bring up Adagio.

“Your new girlfriend, right? Where is she?” Twilight asked, looking around.

“Before that…” Sunset grabbed a hold of Twilight’s hands. “Twilight, do you trust me?”

“Uhh… Of course. We’re friends.” She tilted her head, puzzled. “Should I be concerned?”

“Maybe just a tiny bit, but I assure you it’s nothing bad.”

“Can I come out now!?” Adagio yelled at the other side of the statue.

“Yes, dear, you can.” Sunset sighed.

“That voice, it sounds familiar, almost reminds me of—” Twilight stopped, seeing Adagio come into view and walk past her. She gave Twilight a wink and stood next to Sunset, holding her hand and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“Twilight, meet my girlfriend—”

“Adagio Dazzle!?” Twilight yelled, beginning to shake. “Sunset, surely you remember years before that we fought against her and the sirens, and that this world almost fell to them!? Oh goddesses, Sunset please don’t tell me you are—”

“Twilight, please.” Sunset raised her hands innocently. “You said you could trust me, right?”

“Sorry, I’m just not sure what to think.” Twilight sighed, taking a few deep breaths to calm down. “I know some time has passed since I first met you, Adagio, but…” Twilight bit her lip. “Sunset, are you aware that you are dating one of Equestria’s longest standing enemies?”

Sunset looked at Adagio.

“I honestly didn’t think of it that way.” She held onto Adagio’s arm. “But Adagio’s changed, for the better, I promise!”

“Only a little.” Adagio shrugged.

Sunset lightly jabbed Adagio in the shoulder.

“Adagio, please,” she whispered.

“Well…” Twilight fiddled with her hands. “I’ve seen bad ponies in Equestria turn their lives around. I guess the same could go for people in this world as well.” Twilight extended her hand to Adagio.

“It’s nice to meet you again, Adagio,” Twilight said.

Adagio left Twilight hanging for a few seconds, before extending her hand and giving her a formal handshake.

“Sure, same for you as well.” Adagio withdrew her hand and held onto Sunset’s.

“So…” Twilight rubbed the back of her neck. “I can see why Applejack may be a bit upset about you and Adagio. What happened?”

“Why don’t we talk about it over lunch,” Sunset said. “I know a place nearby. I texted Applejack last night and she said she would not be available until later in the afternoon. We can catch up before heading to the farm then.”

“Sounds good, Sunset.” Twilight smiled. “Lead the way.”

Sunset wrapped her arm around Adagio’s. They walked off the school grounds together as a couple, with Twilight following.


After some catching up and lunch, they were ready to head to Applejack’s farm.

Adagio called a taxi through her phone, and soon a car came around to pick them up. They all sat in the back with Sunset in the center and Adagio and Twilight sitting up against the window seats.

They rode out of town and through the back roads, being ferried through the countryside of Canterlot. Along the way they passed several farms containing fields of crops and livestock out in the open fields.

After passing a few more farms, Adagio saw a large orchard filled with apple trees and they stopped at the entrance.

“We’re here,” Sunset said.

They stepped out of the vehicle and stood in the gravel lot for guests and visitors. Inside the farm was a long gravel road that went through the apple orchard, up to the main residence on the farm.

“Do we seriously have to walk all the way up there?” Adagio said, pointing to the house up on the hill that sat at the end of the road.

“Unfortunately. I’ve gotten used to walking up that road each morning when I worked here.” Sunset walked up to an intercom system that was inside a small wooden booth

“Let me ring up Applejack before we go in.” She pressed a button and waited for a response.

Adagio and Twilight stood next each other while Sunset tapped her foot as she waited for a reply.

“So, Princess,” Adagio said.

“Yes?” Twilight replied, switching her attention to Adagio.

“You are a pony princess, from a magical pony land… Do you have a castle?”

“I do, actually,” Twilight replied. “Before that, I lived in a tree!”

“…You’ve gotta be kidding me.” Adagio placed her palm over her face.

“The tree was also a library!” Twilight chirped, beaming.

“Okay, princess. I get it.”

“You can just call me Twilight by the way.”

“Yeah, yeah, sure.” Adagio waved her off.

Sunset was still waiting for a response. Applejack finally picked up on the other end.

“Canterlot Apple Farm, who is it?” she said.

“Hey Applejack, it’s Sunset. I’m here with Adagio and someone else.” She said.

“Oh, hey,” Applejack said. “Y’all were coming to apologize or somethin’, was it? Who is the someone else? You didn’t bring one of her Dazzling friends did you?”

“I was wanting to surprise you, but no. It’s Twilight.”

“Wait, Pony Twilight or Ex Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“Do you really think I would call my ex and drag her out here?”

“Hmm, good point. Come on in, I guess. I’ll be sure not to shoot y’all, heh.” She laughed before hanging up.

Sunset walked out of the booth.

“She wasn’t serious about the shooting part, was she?” Adagio asked.

“She always says that to anyone visiting,” Sunset said.

“Well, I like her sense of humor at least.” Adagio shrugged.

“I hope this goes well.” Sunset sighed.

“Sunny.” Adagio placed her hands on Sunset’s shoulders. “Look at me.”

Sunset looked up at Adagio.

“Like we said earlier: whatever happens we’ll get through it.”

“Thanks, Adagio.” Sunset wrapped her arms around her.

Twilight saw the display and smiled at seeing the two so close.

“Though, if this does go bad, I’m blaming it all on you, Twilight.” Adagio grinned.

“H-hey!” Twilight stomped her foot.

“Well, let’s go and get this settled.” Sunset pulled back from Adagio, but held onto her hand. The two began walking down the gravel road, with Twilight walking beside them.

They passed many rows of apple trees. Adagio had never really had an interest in farming, but was impressed with the display, wondering what it took to maintain an orchard of this size.

“So, you worked here?” she asked.

“Yup. A few other workers and I spent our entire day's picking apples off the trees. Once the harvest season was over, Applejack kept me around for when she needed to maintain equipment and buildings around here.”

“Was there anything else you did?”

Sunset nodded.

“She kept two horses around. One was named Lonestar. I took care of him and he came to liking me. One day, Applejack asked me if I’d like to ride him. I’ve been learning how since, and I’m actually pretty decent now.”

“Wait,” Twilight butted into the conversation. “Humans take care of horses and… Ride them?”

“Yeah,” Sunset laughed. “Was a bit of a shocker, but from what I saw on their faces and the way they acted, they seem to like it here.”

After several more minutes of walking, they finally made it up to the house that stood in the center of the farm. The house looked quite old, with two stories and a front deck, where Applejack stood.

“Applejack!” Twilight ran up to Applejack and gave her a hug.

“Hey, sugarcube.” Applejack wrapped her arm around Twilight. “Princess duties keeping you busy?”

“Yeah, but nothing I can’t keep up with.”

“Good to hear,” Applejack said, focusing her attention on both Sunset and Adagio. “So…”

“So?” Adagio said, staring at Applejack.

“I guess we are all here to… talk.” Applejack grumbled, making air quotes with her fingers.

“I just want us to settle our differences, Applejack,” Sunset said.

“It’s not you, Sunset. I’m sorry about yesterday and I’ll admit I was kinda out of line.” Applejack pointed to Adagio. “You, however, were also out of line.”

“Uh-huh,” Adagio said. Crossing her arms.

Sunset rolled her eyes and stepped forward.

“I think we just got off on the wrong foot yesterday. If we just start over again, I’m sure things will go better. I hope afterwards you can accept Adagio for who she is now, rather than who she was.”

“I’m open to listening what y’all have to say.” Applejack stepped off the front porch and pointed over to a picnic table below a tree standing over the house. “Let’s sit over at the tree there; it’s too nice to be inside today.”

Sunset nodded, and went back to Adagio, grabbing her hand. They walked behind Applejack and Twilight.

Twilight and Applejack sat on the far end of the table, with Sunset and Adagio sitting opposite them. It was silent for a moment before Adagio broke the silence between all four of them.

“So, who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?” Adagio said to Applejack.

“Well, I think you obviously know what to say after all that you did yesterday,” Applejack said, placing her arms on the table and crossing them.

“Yeah, I’m sorry you had to see my ti—”

Sunset raised her foot and brought it down on Adagio’s. She winced from Sunset’s strike and kept her mouth closed to prevent herself from yelling several obscenities.

“I mean, yes.” Adagio sighed. “I’m sorry for what happened. You were being a bit of a jerk toward us, but me being a complete bitch didn’t make it any better.”

“You’re… sorry?” Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“Uh, yeah.” Adagio titled her head. “Isn’t that what people are supposed to say?”

“So are you saying it because you mean it, or because you’re supposed to?”

“Applejack,” Twilight interjected. “I know you don’t trust Adagio. And that’s fair. You don’t really have a reason to. But friendship is about being willing to trust someone, even in spite of reason sometimes. I haven’t been able to talk with her very much, but from what I’ve seen, I can already tell that she’s not the same.”

“She’s certainly not like Sunset when she turned around,” Applejack said.

“Not exactly. She still has some of her past attitude, but Sunset has stuck with her for a reason, just like how we stuck with her.” She smiled.

“Okay, maybe she has changed for the better, great,” Applejack said. “But what about the past? She nearly ruined our friendships several years ago. Who could forgive her for that?”

“I can,” Sunset said. “Applejack, you need to let go of the past. Do you remember what I did all throughout high school?”

“Yeah, you were evil, Sunset, but you’re much different than she was,” Applejack said.

“I am. While Adagio only terrorized the school for a few days, I managed to put fear into every student and control the entire school from my freshman to early senior year.”

“We were only teenagers, Sunset. Adagio, on the other hand, has been around forever. How many individuals’ lives has she ruined over her lifetime, huh?”

“Thousands, probably,” Adagio said.

“See? Even she admits it!” Applejack yelled, interrupting Adagio.

“…and I regret it.” Adagio finished her sentence.

“What?”

“I have lived for a long time, and I have spent that time ruining people’s lives, and I regret it. I don’t remember much from when I first arrived here, but I wish my friends and I would have made lives for ourselves rather than ruining others.”

“Adagio, are you serious? You regret all of it?” Twilight asked.

“Well I suppose that makes everything better, doesn’t it?” Applejack said, arms folded.

“No. I never said it makes what I’ve done go away.” Adagio shook her head. “The little I know that I’ve done is terrible. I enjoyed controlling people, but I’ve been doing that throughout all of my life. There was a time where it became repetitive, and the girls and I only regained an interest when we saw that burst of Equestrian Magic from the school.”

“But, after you lost all that power?” Twilight said.

“I wish I could have used it for something better, whether it be building a life for myself, or heck… even now I wonder what else I could have done for the girls.”

“Who do you mean by ‘the girls?’” Applejack asked.

“Aria and Sonata. When we lost our power, I had a fight with Aria. She blamed me for everything that happened, and my smart mouth lead to her punching me until I was on the ground.”

Tears began to form in Adagio’s eyes as she continued.

“Sonata tried to break it up, but by the time she did, I was pretty banged up. Aria ran off and Sonata went looking after her. At that moment I knew things were over.”

Her tears ran down her cheeks. Sunset caressed Adagio’s shoulders to console her.

“I haven’t seen them since, and I didn’t make any other friends until I met Sunny.”

Applejack and Twilight were silent. They thought the Battle of the Bands was where they’d seen Adagio at her weakest point, but seeing her cry in front of them showed she really had changed since then.

“I’m sorry you had to go through that,” Applejack said. “You must have been lonely.”

“Yeah.” Adagio cleared her tears. “Sunny was the first person to ever show interest in me, and… I guess you can see why we are dating now.”

“Adagio, I’m so sorry,” Twilight said. “I wish we could have done more after we took away your power.”

Adagio raised her hand.

“Look, I don’t want your sympathy. I’ve said as much to Sunny multiple times now. I just want to get away from my past and put my life back together, and Sunset is a big part of that.”

Adagio returned her attention to Applejack.

“All that I can ask, Applejack, not just you, but to all of Sunny’s friends… Can I have your forgiveness? I’m not seeking friendship, but she can’t lose her friends, not like I have.”

Adagio held her hand out in the middle of the table. Waiting for a response from Applejack.

“I’m still not sure about trusting you, Adagio.” Applejack’s hand joined Adagio’s and she shook it. “I can give you a chance, though, but only one.”

“Fair enough,” Adagio said.

“You’re welcome,” Applejack replied.

Sunset and Twilight smiled at seeing the two finally make amends.

“So,”—Adagio retracted her hand—“now that is out of the way, what is there to do around here?” she asked.

“If y’all want… Want to stay for dinner? I know you, Sunset and Twi, are the veggie types, but I can convince Granny Smith to have apple pecan salad tonight if y’all can help.”

“That sounds wonderful!” Twilight clapped her hands.

“What do you think, Sunny?” Adagio asked Sunset.

“Yeah.” She smiled. “Sounds great.”


After having dinner at Applejack’s and an extended visit, it was well into the evening and everyone had to part ways.

Walking out onto the porch, Applejack followed behind Adagio, Sunset and Twilight.

“Hey, Sunset, before you go…” Applejack said.

“Yeah?” she replied.

“If you want, you can bring Adagio along for our annual spring camping trip. I can bring a small spare tent for the both of y’all.” She scratched the back of her head. “You know, for privacy.”

“Oh good. I don’t like it when people watch,” Adagio said, butting into the conversation.

“Seriously, Adagio?” Sunset’s face turned red.

“It’s a joke.” Adagio chuckled. “I have changed, but not that much.”

Twilight giggled, and gave Applejack a hug.

“I’m happy we got all of this sorted out, and it was good seeing you, Applejack,” she said.

“Mmm, thanks for visiting, Twilight. Hope things go well for you in Equestria.” Applejack smiled.

“You too.” Twilight walked away from Applejack, and waved to her. “I’ll be sure to visit for the spring trip!”

Applejack nodded, then Sunset hugged her as well.

“Thanks for listening to us, Applejack,” Sunset said.

“No prob. Anything for a friend.” Applejack winked.

Adagio was next, but held out her hand for Applejack.

“Not the hugging type?” she asked.

“I only like hugs from Sunny.” Adagio shrugged.

“Heh, right.” Applejack’s hand joined Adagio’s and she gave it a firm shake. “I’m happy we got past our differences, and I’m sorry for earlier.”

“Uh-huh. I’m looking forward to that trip, though. Better not disappoint.” Adagio smirked.

“I’ll be sure not to. Looking forward to seeing y’all there later.”

Adagio and Sunset nodded, following Twilight, who began walking away from the house.

“See ya, Applejack,” Sunset said, walking next to Adagio.

“Bye, y’all!” Applejack waved to all of them as they left. “Have a good one!”

Twilight and Sunset waved in unison, walking down the gravel road back to the entrance to the farm. Adagio pulled out her phone and called for a ride along the walk. By the time they got back to the parking lot, their taxi was waiting.

The roads through the countryside were pitch black, with only the headlamps of the car providing any light along their path.

It was late in the evening by the time they arrived at the school, but the street lamps around the school grounds kept it well lit.

They made it back to the portal and Twilight stood in front of it.

“Well, I guess this is it,” she said.

“Before you go, Twilight,” Adagio said. “Can I ask for a favor?”

“Well of course you can ask,” Twilight said with a smile. “As for granting it, however, that unfortunately depends. What is it?”

“I told you at lunch how I had forgotten most of my past, but…” Adagio bit her lip. “I was wondering if you can gather some information on what exactly I did, so I can know the truth.”

“Adagio…” Sunset placed her hand on Adagio’s shoulder. “Are you sure you want to?”

“I do.” Adagio replied. “I know I’ve done bad things, enough to get me banished from another world. A part of me doesn’t want to know what evil things I’ve done, but at the same time I can’t be hiding from the truth.”

“I understand you want to know all about your past self, Adagio, but…” Twilight sighed. “From my current knowledge, you and the other two sirens are the only few ever banished from Equestria.

“So, whatever I did, it must have been really bad?”

“Yes, unfortunately,” Twilight said. “It’s just that you’re doing so well right now with Sunset. I don’t want to see what happiness you’ve gotten for yourself ruined by guilt.”

“I understand.” Adagio wrapped her arm around Sunset. “Like Sunny said earlier, I am past a majority of my evil ways, and I am who I am now, but I can’t just ignore whatever I’ve done in the past.”

Twilight nodded.

“Okay, it’s going to take some time since I will need to be going through some archives that are more than a millennium old, but I’ll be sure to find everything regarding your past crimes.” Twilight shuffled her hands. “Are you sure about this?”

“Yes, I said so the first time,.” Adagio grumbled. “Thanks, though, Twilight. I mean it.”

“Twilight,” Sunset said. “Whatever you find, you won’t see Adagio any differently, right?”

“Of course,” Twilight replied.

“Do you promise?”

“I promise, Sunset.”

Twilight walked up to both Sunset and Adagio and wrapped her arms around them.

“H-hey—” Adagio muttered before getting cut off.

“You two seem like a great couple, and I hope whatever I find puts you at peace, Adagio.”

“Yeah, great, thanks.” Adagio lightly pushed Twilight back. “No hugging, though.”

“Oh, sorry!” Twilight quickly released herself from the two. “It’s a habit, hugging my friends.”

“Uh-huh.” Adagio said, rolling her eyes.

“It was great having you here, Twilight.” Sunset hugged her. “We couldn’t have fixed our problem today without you.”

Twilight smiled.

“I’m glad to have helped.” Twilight pushed herself back from Sunset and walked up to the portal. “I’ll see you two on the spring trip.”

“See ya,” Sunset said.

Adagio only waved. Twilight, in return, waved to the both of them and walked through the portal.

They both stood there in silence, seeing Twilight suddenly disappear. Adagio walked up to the portal and placed her hand on it. To her, though, it was just a regular hard stone surface.

Even with the portal in front of her, Adagio truly had no way of visiting her original home. She looked back at Sunset.

“Have you ever considered returning?” she asked.

“I have.” Sunset walked up to Adagio and grabbed her hand, bringing it to hers. “I’d rather be here with you, though.”

Adagio smiled, pressing her lips to Sunset’s.

“Let’s get some rest.”

Author's Note:

Special thanks to editors Madeline L-Equine and Gardrek for helping with this chapter.