• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 3,656 Views, 95 Comments

Angel of War - Commander Ry



May day, may day, this is Scarlet Falcon 7 broadcasting on emergency frequency one-tree-six...

  • ...
12
 95
 3,656

From the Heavens

The Angel of War

A MLP:FiM Fanfic by Commander Ry

Chapter 1

From the Heavens

“Just a simple recon,” they said. “Fly over the DMZ, get the information we need, and fly right back. Quick and simple!” HA, it was anything but. Those damn northerners were waiting for me; the bastards at JASOC miscalculated or something, got shit Intel! Instead of piercing the radar cover and observing ground movement, I flew straight into a fuck storm of telephone-sized poles of death. Figures seeing as all our drones kept getting shot down. I was just the unlucky fucker to be assigned this mission so command could get a proper reading of what we were going up against.

I shouldn’t even be in this god damn war. Three days out of Flight School, and North Korea wakes up and decides to invade our allies in the south. So, being the lucky new Lieutenant I am, I get thrown in some obsolete F-16C and shipped out to “go fight the reds!” And I get myself shot down! Fuck me, I’m so fired.’

All this ran through Second Lieutenant Jonathan M. Casey’s mind as he let muscle memory and months of training glide his parachute earthward.

“First goddamn combat mission, and I get shot down,” the pilot mumbled to himself as he scouted for a safe place to land.

‘That’s odd,’ Casey mused to himself as he pinpointed his LZ; a small strip of clearing between a rather dense forest and a meadow. ‘I remember Korea looking… different.’

As he sailed closer, he noticed a large village about a mile out. More importantly, he saw what looked to be a small hut carved into a tree not two hundred feet from his landing zone.

Shit,’ he thought. ‘The moment I land I’m going to have to book it for the cover of the forest. I should technically be in South Korea, but I’m not taking any chances with the locals; best hide and wait for extraction

Casey glanced up, making sure his chute was good before his final approach. As he came in for his landing, he caught a glimpse of a blue shadow streak by him through his visor. Suddenly, a sharp gust of wind picked up and pulled him towards the forest, sending him towards a rather painful looking mass of branched and leaves. He attempted to correct his flight path, but it was too late. The fighter jock’s body stiffened as he looked up and saw a tree coming directly at him.

“Oh fuc-“

*SLAM*

(X*X*X*X*X*X)

“Oh dear. Dash, did you see that?”

“Did I see it!?! I almost hit it! What the hay is it?”

“Oh, I-I don’t know, I have never seen anything like it.”

“Let’s go find Twilight and the others to figure out what’s going on.”


(X*X*X*X*X*X)

“Son of a bitch,” mumbled Casey to himself as he spun around, trying to figure out where he was.

The young Lieutenant was hanging out of a tree from his shroud lines; his orange chute was tangled in the branches above.

“Just freakin’ perfect.”

He began to fiddle with the release mechanism in his harness. He was rewarded with a click and a snap while gravity reasserted itself on his body.

Unprepared for the sudden drop, Casey hit the ground, accompanied by a bone grinding crack emitting from his ankle. A muffled scream tore through the air as he tried to fight the pain.

“AHHH!, F-FUCK!, AHHH!” He slowly dragged himself over to the tree and propped his body against the trunk. He rummaged through his first aid kit, letting out a joyful cry as he found what he was looking for. Through gritted teeth, he jammed the needle into his leg; the morphine quickly erased most of the burning pain.

Pulling out his topographical map, the pilot tried to assess his location.

‘This is freaking weird,’ he thought to himself. ‘I was briefed that the Korean landscape was mountainous? And isn’t it winter? It’s like eighty-five degrees out here?!?’

He pulled out his compass as he spun his map. ‘So, I’m pretty sure I ejected somewhere over grid five. But I should be in the mountains then, along this ridge.’ He pointed to the map as if he was trying to explain his situation to someone else. ‘And what’s with this town?’

He glanced up and looked at the outline of the village on the horizon. ‘I should be tens of miles from any building, unless... Shit, I must have flown farther off course then I thought.’

“Fuck it, I’m lost.” He tossed his compass to the ground.

With those words of defeat, Casey stared at his numb, throbbing ankle. Well, it was fractured, he knew that. He was pretty sure it was a closed fracture. At least he couldn’t see any blood pooling in his combat boot, which hopefully meant that he wasn’t going to bleed out in the near future. He racked his brain, trying to recall his basic first aid classes; the little Airmen in his head began to sound off, reciting words and terms that he had been drilled on throughout flight school.

‘Remove yourself from the danger,’ check. ‘If in immense pain, apply morphine,’ check. ‘In the case of fractures, splint above and below the injury.’

Casey quickly looked around and found two dead tree branches that were straight enough for his needs. He quickly fashioned a splint using medical tape from his gear, and checked it off his mental list. With his foot now immobilized, the Air Force officer pulled out his emergency radio and began fiddling with the settings.

“Time to get outta here,” he exclaimed as he keyed up the mic.

[May day, may day, this is Scarlet Falcon seven, broadcasting on emergency frequency one-tree-six, I have been shot down over grid 5, emergency transmitter is active, over]

Casey’s only response was a jumble of static.

[May day, may day, this is Scarlet Falcon 7 broadcasting on emergency frequency one-tree-six, is anyone receiving, please respond, over]

The radio continued its cackling.

“Nothing can ever be easy, can it?” he sighed as the radio tumbled from his hand.

‘Ok, he thought. ‘So I just need to get to higher ground. A mountain or tree, then the signal should get through, right? Yeah, I just need to get to higher ground.He looked at his now splinted foot.

“Fuck my life.”

Casey gathered up his gear. Using the tree trunk as balance, he unsteadily got up, standing on his one good foot.

“And now for the hard part.”

He let go of the tree, knowing he was on his own for now. He struggled to keep his balance as he attempted to hop to the next tree over, all the while contemplating how best to proceed uphill. His foot caught on a root, and the first thing to cross the lieutenant’s mind was to protect his face from a sudden impact with the ground. Without thinking, he put his injured foot down to save his fall. A searing pain shot through him as he screamed and blacked out.

(X*X*X*X*X*X)

Jonathan Casey woke up five feet from the large oak tree sporting his neon orange parachute.

‘Well,’ he thought, checking his surroundings. ‘That sure as hell didn’t go as planned.’

He glanced at his watch to get a bearing on how long he’d been out, only to find a shattered LCD screen staring back at him. He angrily ripped the watch off, throwing it into the forest; he gave it the finger as it sailed away.

Staring at the sun’s position, Casey figured he had only been out a few minutes. He propped himself back against his tree and tried to think of a solution to his problem. A rustling came from a set of bushes about fifty yards away. Instinctively, he un-holstered his M9, sighting in on the possible threat, only to find a small herd of horses come out of the brush. He lowered his gun, relaxing a little bit, only to do a double take.

“What the hell is this?” he mumbled.

Staring back at him were six brightly colored horse creatures, which was odd since Casey was fairly certain that pink and purple horses didn't exist. What surprised him even more was the fact that there were unicorns and pegasi in this herd. Even the one that looked the most normal was wearing a hat.

“What. The. FUCK. Is this?” His mind raced for answers.

“The morphine! M-morphine has hallucinogenic properties, right?” Even as he said it, he wasn’t convinced.

“Umm, excuse me?” said the purple unicorn, taking a few tentative steps closer.

Casey’s mind ground to a halt. ‘Did that purple unicorn just... talk to me?’

“Hello? My name is Twilight Sparkle, and these are my friends.” The purple mare motioned towards the other five. “And, well, we were wondering who you are?”

“Or what you are?” said the cyan pegasus, receiving a rather dark look from the purple pony.

The pilot didn’t respond. His mind couldn’t process his surroundings or the situation. He just stared wide-eyed at the brightly colored group thinking, ‘I was not trained for this.’

“Are y’all ok?” asked the orange pony sporting a Stetson.

“Oh, umm oh dear,” said the yellow winged mare, pointing to Casey’s splinted ankle. “It looks hurt.” She made a move to go help the injured man.

At this time, the little Airman in Casey’s head sounded off once again.

‘You’re a downed pilot,’ it said. ‘Possibly behind enemy lines. You are too valuable to be captured; you must defend yourself at all cost.’

With this small piece of logic, the officer’s mind woke up. He expertly raised his M9, sighting in on the pegasus’ head while flipping off the safety.

“STAY BACK!” commanded Lieutenant Casey. “STAND DOWN OR I WILL OPEN FIRE!”

The yellow pony quickly complied, cowering from the sheer tone in his voice.

“Fire?” articulated the white unicorn, attempting to comfort the now shaking yellow mare. “Darling, there is no fire, and there is no need to use such a horrible tone with Fluttershy. She is only trying to help after all.”

“ALL OF YOU STAY BACK!” he commanded, ignoring the unicorn’s comment.

“Now dear,” said the white mare, a slightly annoyed tone in her voice. “Just because you have an injured leg does not give you the right to act like a brute.” She began to take a few confident steps towards Casey.

“I WILL OPEN FIRE.” Casey’s mind was broken. He didn’t know what was happening, who was causing this to happen, and more importantly, who to blame. It also didn’t help that the little Airman in his head was screaming at him to shoot everything that moved. Needless to say, Casey was not happy.

“If you would be so kind as to calm down and let us help yo-”

*BANG*

A puff of dirt shot up in front of the white unicorn, whose eyes were wide with terror as the world seem to freeze around the smoking gun held in the young man hands.

“STAY BACK AND STAND DOWN!” the Lieutenant ordered, breaking the still air around him.

His training was screaming at him, saying he should have put a bullet in that horse-unicorn thing. But despite everything, despite his total mental lock, he couldn’t bring himself to shoot something that wasn’t armed and trying to kill him (at the moment). Instead he opted for a warning shot. Casey raised the M9’s sights to the unicorn’s head. There would not be two warnings.

Suddenly, his sidearm was wrapped in purple light as it was yanked from his hands. He sat there in confusion for a second before his brain finally gave full control over to his training. The human warrior quickly rolled onto his feet, pulling out a combat knife. The massive adrenaline spike he was receiving prevented him from feeling his ankle, which was surely screaming at him. He crouched defensively, eyeing his pistol floating near the purple unicorn called Twilight.

“What’s the big idea!?!” yelled the cyan pegasus, flying straight towards him.

Casey expertly dodged the attempted tackle, redirecting his momentum and lunging at the pony with his knife. Before the blade could make contact with flesh, the human felt a sharp pain coarse through his abdomen as he flew through the air, slamming into another tree.

With the world spinning around him, he mumbled, “What t-the *cough* fuck?” as he cough up his own blood.

The last thing Casey saw was a blurry orange mare look at him with disapproving eyes before he blacked out for the second time that day.

(X*X*X*X*X*X)

Warning alarms blared inside the cockpit of a F-16B as surface to air missiles streaked to meet it.

“Shit, shit, shit.”

[Golden Eagle, this is Scarlet Falcon 7 I have been engaged, I say again, I have been engaged over grid 6, how copy, over]

Casey rolled to the left as countermeasures belched out the side of his fighter. The jamming pod strapped to the underbelly of the plane was scrambling to save itself, blaring frequency after frequency in a mad dash to break the lock the missiles had.

{Copy, Scarlet Falcon 7 pull back to grid 5}

The nimble jet made a sharp left turn as the afterburners launched it towards the safety of the DMZ and grid 5; three missiles streaked closely behind it. Casey shot over into South Korea.

“Shit, they’re not breaking pursuit!”

With a sharp yank on the controls, the lieutenant launched into a steep climb while deploying the last of his flares and chaff. He was flying into what looked to be a large storm cloud, something he would have normally avoided if he wasn’t about to die. A quick look to his radar told him that his attempts to save his life weren’t working as a third proximity alarm sounded.

[May day, May day, Scarlet Falcon 7 is going down over grid 5-]

Lightning suddenly struck his aircraft, causing the lights in his cockpit to turn purple. Outside his canopy there was only a rainbow swirl of colors.

With that, Casey panicked and pulled the yellow handle located on his chair. He was greeted with the sudden rush of air and the immense pressure of his body defying gravity.


~(Commander Ry: this is my first foray into the realm of fanfic so any and all comments and opinions are greatly appreciated. I would like to thank shadowdemon137 and the awesome people at "ABQ Bronies" for editing this into something readable and getting me to pull this story out of hiding in my Word Documents)~