• Published 7th Jan 2016
  • 690 Views, 21 Comments

The Winding Northward Road - Rambling Writer



Struck with wanderlust, a mare travels to the Crystal Empire and back.

  • ...
2
 21
 690

Day 27

Thought I’d come across a town or two after leaving Foal Mountain, but nope. Not yet, anyway. Just more trees and some grasslands.

Getting into a surprisingly dense forest. Trees closing in tightly, the canopy blocks out a lot of the sky, and I can hear a lot more animals. It’s pretty dark, even during the day. Kind of ominous.

Haven’t made any more mistakes like I did on Foal Mountain, but I’m left wondering: what would’ve happened if I hadn’t made it off that shelf? Nopony back in Lareindo knows when I’ll be back (mainly because I don’t know when I’ll be back), so if I’d died, they wouldn’t think much of it for… how long? Months, maybe? And when/if they sent out somepony to look for me, they probably wouldn’t find anything, since I was on a random cliff in a random part of Foal Mountain. Didn’t tell anypony where I was going, just said, “Hey, Imma go to the Crystal Empire, be back sometime whenever, see ya!”

I think I need to be more careful about this. I can’t just go blundering off to wherever I feel like. I need to be aware of where I’m going, probably let others know. Of course, I don’t know anyone out here to tell where I’m going, so that’s no help now, but maybe in the future, I should say, “okay, I’m going to go here, here, here, and here” and tell that to somepony before I go anywhere.

Of course, I’ve done well enough so far, and there was no way for me to know that the cliff was ungetoffable at the time, so… No, I still need to be careful.

Wondering if there are dangerous animals here. Hope not, since I’ve already set up camp, but at the very least, it’s not the Everfree. (Which forest IS this?)

Encroaching brambles

Try to snag you, make you trip

In this dense forest.

But not by malice;

There are just so many of them here

That they can’t help it.

Huh. That was easy.