• Published 8th Jul 2016
  • 1,352 Views, 36 Comments

End of the Beginning: Darkness Falls - NerdyByrd



So far Equestria's is moving along just find. So why is Rainbow Dash constantly looking over her shoulder? Why is she suddenly afraid the shadows are going to come and get her? That's crazy! Right?

  • ...
2
 36
 1,352

Walls

Author's Note:

This is my first story, and constructive criticism would be helpful! Just please don't be haters. I would like to be told what I did wrong, not that I suck at writing MLP stories. By the way I would like to give a special thanks to my editor and assistant who shall be known as Shade Av-Dragen. Also don't go looking for her on this website cause she does not have an account. I thought I should tell you now before you go looking for her and then feeling like idiots.

Thank You :twilightsmile:

"Finally", the smoke spoke in a raspy voice," The time has come. Soon my power will return, and Equestria will see what true power is."

The smoke heard a distant voice. She whipped around in the darkness, trying to hear the voice better. Why yes, it was Rainbow Dash. Such a sweet child. The smoke used what little bit of magic she had, and opened up a small view. Rainbow Dash was talking to her turtle Tank; laughing. The smoke use to be fond of laughter as well. When she too has happy and carefree. But thousands of years ago, and those days are gone now. The smoke heard another voice far out in the distance. This voice was different. It was full of wisdom and sound quite mature. It made her coil.

"Celestia", she hissed.

She open another view that reveal Celestia, using her small free time to take a nap. After all, she has been up all night. She talking to Luna. Something about the Galloping Gala arriving soon. Celestia talked about a year of peace finally upon them. The smoke gave a look that, if possible, would indeed kill. She couldn't let Celestia feel safe. It is easier to attack ponies when they're scared. The mind would be clouded with too much fear to think straight. She use what little magic she had left to whisper something to Celestia. She made connection with Celestia's mind.

"Hi Celestia", the smoke whispered," remember me."

Celestia donned a look of horror.

"I am tearing down that wall work so hard to keep up", the smoke said mockingly," And when I return, I'm taking what is rightfully mine."

Before Celestia say anything back the connection broke. Even if the smoke wasn't done speaking the connection would still break. She only hold the link for so long. But it was okay. She done her job. Now she had to hope her children and followers kept their end of the bargain. Her children were very important to her. Everypony called them monsters. She couldn't bare to see them out there all alone in the cold. So she called them to her. Told them of a plan that will give them a place to live. A place where they would not to feel like monsters. The smoke followers were ponies who weren't scared of her magic or scared of her. The would do anything for her. Even die. Although she not ask them to do that. They are too loyal for that.

She shut the view of Celestia and went back to looking at Rainbow Dash. The smoke didn't know exactly what will be the first thing she would do when she claimed the throne. Guess she'll haunt all the ones she hated for so long with nightmares. She gave a sly smile. After all, she is Nightmare Moon.
***

It was probably around 10:00 A.M., when Rainbow Dash picked up the latest Daring Do book. Today had been planned out very carefully. She was going to read her book, drink her chocolate milkshake, and do absolutely nothing. Nothing could interfere with this day.

Knock, knock, knock

Of course. Rainbow Dash let out a sigh. She jumped out of her bed and walked towards the door. As soon as she opened it, a freaked-out Twilight Sparkle immediately began to talk all at once.

"RainbowDashPrincessCelestiasentmeanimportantlettersayingthatsheneedsourhelprightnowsoweneedtogotoCanterlotnoquestionsasked."

Rainbow Dash only had enough time to blink before she was teleported from her home to Canterlot Castle. She gazed around the room and saw that her friends were also dragged here by Twilight. Fluttershy was rubbing sleep from her eyes, Pinkie Pie was holding a spoon probably because she was having breakfast at the time, Applejack's hat was nowhere to be seen, and Rarity was still wearing her robe. Rainbow Dash frowned. At least Rarity's mane was brushed.

"Good, you came as quickly as possible"

Rainbow Dash turned around and saw Princess Celestia. Celestia's mane seem matted and she looked as if she hadn't slept for days. She watched the windows carefully as if somepony might be spying on them. She turned back to them.

"I fear that something is just around the corner. That an unwanted presence is closing in."

Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrow. What was she talking about?

Celestia twisted around took off down the hall. She stopped and motioned for them to follow. Rainbow stood there, wondering what Celestia was so worried about. It took her a moment to realize that her friends were leaving her behind. She ran after them, sliding across the floor, just barely missing each twist and turn they took. She finally came to a room that seem sorta old. It was covered in dust and a faded tapestry of two alicorns was hung on the wall before them. One of the alicorns was white with a golden mane and a set of golden eyes. She was wielding six stones, quite similar to the elements of harmony. The other was black with a dark blue mane and was wearing dark blue armor. She had sea-green eyes. Rainbow Dash looked over at Twilight, who seemed to show a great deal of interest in the artwork.

Rainbow Dash jumped at the sound of a thud. She turned around and saw that Princess Celestia had dropped an assortment of different scrolls onto the table. Some seemed that they were recently made and other seemed as if they were practically ancient.

"Here are some scrolls I would like for you to read", Celestia said," But before that, I would like to explained something first. I been keeping a secret from you."

What secret?

"In fact been keeping it a secret from everypony. Nopony knows except a select few who promised to keep it a secret. There are a set of walls. And beyond this set of walls are many, many dangers. I tried to keep them out, but now the walls are crumbling. They are falling. And I am afraid...", She took a deep breath. "I am afraid that Nightmare Moon is returning."

Everypony gasped. Rarity fainted. Rainbow Dash immediately rejected this craziness.

"What", Rainbow Dash yelled," That is impossible! We defeated her!"

"Yeah", Applejack said in agreement.

"Actually", Twilight began," we freed Princess Luna from Nightmare Moon's grasp, but we never defeated Nightmare Moon herself."

Celestia nodded," I just need an explanation. I also been having strange nightmares lately."

Rainbow Dash wanted to go home, but Twilight was eating this stuff up." I'm guessing we're here to research."

Nope! "Peace guys", Rainbow Dash quickly said," As you should know I suck at research, and I get very... ummm... distracted. Yeah. Distracted."

Twilight gave her a look, but before she could say anything, Rainbow Dash was out in a flash! Rainbow made back to her cloud home in no time. Now time for a nap! Rainbow Dash snuggle deep into the covers and welcomed the darkness.

***

Cold. She felt cold. Why was she cold? She opened her eyes and there she was. Rainbow Dash was in complete darkness. Well, crap!
What kind of dream is this! She sighed.

"Wait", Rainbow Dash said out load," How do I wake up?"

"Rainbow Dash."

"Who's there!"

"Walls."

Rainbow Dash cocked her head. "What?"

"Walls falling. Darkness returning. Power rising."

"Ummmm-"

"Castle of Two Sisters. Dungeon. Secret."

"Again, who's there."

"Loss family. Loss heir. Heir of Darkness."

Rainbow Dash was mad, irritated, and annoyed!

"WHO THE HECK IS THIS AND WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!"

"Secret."

***

Rainbow Dash woke up in her bed. She looked the clock. 6:30. Outside her window the sun was rising. She slept for an entire day! But how? That dream seemed pretty short. Oh well, better get ready for practice while I am up. She slipped her Wonderbolts uniform on flew out the door. Her flight was pretty long and boring. She yawned. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a dark figure. She stopped and turned around for a better look. The pony was gone, or at least she thought it was a pony. She looked around in the clouds for a moment or two before she confirmed that the pony was gone. She shook her head. Stop being ridiculous. Your brain is playing tricks on you.

She landed onto the runway and trotted over to Spitfire. Spitfire gave her a friendly wave and a worried smile. That's not good. She called three other Wonderbolts she didn't know.

" Celestia assigned us with a mission. We must go to the wall," Spitfire said.

"There's a wall", Soarin asked?

Spitfire shrugged," Apparently so."

Spitfire gave the signal, and everypony took flight. Rainbow Dash followed Spitfire down to the train station. Rainbow Dash landed on the smooth, wooden surface. The train appeared to be almost completely empty except for the engineer, couple of passengers, and the conductor. Rainbow Dash try not to question Spitfire, but her curiosity got the best of her.

"Spitfire",she finally ask," Why are we heading to the train station?"

"The Wall is too faraway to fly there. So were taking the train", Spitfire answer.

Rainbow Dash hopped on the train and took a seat which just happened to be next to Soarin, and behind Spitfire and Fleetfoot. Not really. Totally on purpose! The train pulled out and Rainbow Dash didn't know what for happened the first part of the train ride beside everypony passing around snacks every now and then. She actually hadn't been paying attention until Soarin started to elbow her.

"Hey, Dash", he called.

"Huh"

"What's your family like", Fleetfoot asked. Her and Spitfire turned around in her chair facing Rainbow Dash. She could felt the stares of the other three Wonderbolts behind her.

"Oh", Rainbow Dash quickly said," Well my dad is a stay-at-home dad, and my mom works as a waitress. I two brothers, Wisp and Hope, and we're triplets. I also have three younger siblings, Colby, Shadow, and Lighting Bolt, who are also triplets."

"Wow", Spitfire said," That a lot of ponies."

Rainbow Dash nodded.

Spitfire let out a sigh," My dad was all about the Wonderbolts."

"My dad told stories", Rainbow Dash said with a widening grin," About ponies who rode on dragons, and princesses who were also knights.

"That's interesting", Fleetfoot said.

"We're here", Spitfire said.

Everypony jumped off the train. Immediately Rainbow Dash notice that the sun was setting. It just peaked out behind the mountains.

"We better hurry", Soarin said.

Rainbow Dash twisted her head around and looked at him.

"Sun setting", Soarin said pointing at the horizon.

"Well let's get going", one of Wonderbolts said running towards the woods ahead of them. His black mane with blue highlights stood out against his pale yellow colt.

"Be careful Dark Meadow.", Spitfire called out, following him," You don't know what's in there."

"I know what's in there. Nature. And I hate nature.", said a mint green mare with a yellow mane.

"Oh come one Painted Wind. You paint pictures of woods and wild life all the time", the third one said. Her silver and pink braid laid gently against her black body.

"But Silverlining, you don't have to be in the forest to paint the forest", Painted Wind whine.

"Come on", Fleetfoot said ushering them into the woods," Don't got all day."

15 minutes later, Rainbow Dash was hungry, tired and miserable. Too tired to watch her hooves that is. She tripped over a root and began tumble down hill.

"Rainbow Dash", Soarin cried.

Rainbow Dash kept tumbling through underbrush until she hit something. Hard. She yelped in pain. Now with a huge headache, Rainbow Dash identified the thing she hit as the Wall.

"Found it!",Rainbow Dash yelled as the Wonderbolts came running out of the woods.

"Actually we found it first", a voice said.

Rainbow Dash looked up to find something she only saw once. Something she never thought she would see again. Something she hope to never see again. What stood before her was group of ponies she knew as the Shadowbolts. The mare in the front gave her wicked smile.

"And now we found you."