• Published 8th Jul 2016
  • 1,353 Views, 36 Comments

End of the Beginning: Darkness Falls - NerdyByrd



So far Equestria's is moving along just find. So why is Rainbow Dash constantly looking over her shoulder? Why is she suddenly afraid the shadows are going to come and get her? That's crazy! Right?

  • ...
2
 36
 1,353

The Special Mission

Rainbow Dash felt fuzzy throughout her entire body. At first she couldn't see anything, but slowly her vision came back. The multi-color splotches before her became crystal ponies. They stared down at her in confusion. Rainbow Dash reached up, and rubbed her aching head. A crackling noise sounded behind her. Rainbow Dash backed up slowly as ponies started spilling out of the white portal. Finally, Princess Celestia stepped out of the portal. The empire was now filled with curious ponies, looking down upon them from their crystallized homes. Princess Celestia nodded her head for Rainbow Dash to follow her. Rainbow Dash couldn't help the growing knot in her stomach. Everything was falling apart before her. They came to the crystal castle that stood in the daylight. Rainbow Dash watched as Princess Cadence and Shining Armor came running from the castle entrance.

"Twily", Shining Armor cried running past Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash watched as Shining Armor wrapped her hooves around Twilight. He finally pulled back from her," What doing here?"

"Canterlot has fallen", Princess Celestia answered," And Nightmare Moon has returned."

A cries of horror and panic spread through the crowd like wildfire. Princess Cadence shook her head," That can't be true."

"But it is", Princess Luna stated calmly.

Princess Cadence stared at Princess Luna," Shouldn't you be-"

"Nightmare Moon has gain her physical form back", Princess Celestia said. After a moment she added," I will explain once my subjects have been taken care off."

"Of course", Shining Armor calmly, but his eyes were full of fear.

***

"... and now that Nightmare Moon free, we must come up with a plan", Princess Celestia said with a depressing sigh.

Princess Celestia looked at everypony who sat at the table. That included Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Princess Cadence, Princess Luna, Shining Armor, and Rainbow Dash's parents. She wasn't entirely sure why they were there, but if Princess Celestia wanted to include them in the meeting then Rainbow Dash guess it was okay. After getting everypony to calm down and telling everypony what had happen, they must figure out what to do. Rainbow Dash wasn't all that interested in the conversation. Princess Celestia was just repeating what Rainbow Dash already knew. Instead, Rainbow Dash pretended to be way more interested in the shiny crystal table.

"Can't we organize a sneak attack", Shining Armor asked.

"No. Too many guards", Princess Luna said bluntly.

"Aren't the bat-guard-thingies your guards", Pinkie asked.

"No. My Lunar Guards are ordinary Pegasus. They were just in costume", Princess Luna explain.

Everypony just stared at Princess Luna for a good momment.

"WHAT?! Did you expect us to show up at a Nightmare Night festival and NOT be in costume?"

"You didn't wear a costume", Twilight pointed out.

"Excuse me for being banished to the moon for a thousand years and NOT knowing that Nightmare Night was coming up so fast!"

"MOVING ON", Princess Celestia said loudly," I have a plan that might work."

"Might work", Shining Armor repeated.

"In this situation, 'might work' is a miracle", Princess Celestia declared," Anyway, there is an ancient vault that contains priceless items that have great power. With them we can possibly defeat Nightmare Moon."

Shining Armor waited for a moment, probably going over what he just heard," Where is this vault?"

"That is the tricky part", Princess Celestia said cringing," It is... over the Wall."

"Over the wall", Shining Armor asked, giving a look.

"Don't worry. We have two of our greatest experts right here", Princess Celestia said cheerfully. Rainbow Dash watched as her parents quickly shaking their heads, their eyes wide with horror. "Raindrop here was the captain of my very special team of royal guards, and Thunder Dash is from over the Wall."

Rainbow Dash eyes widen. What was Princess Celestia talking about? She turned to her parents. Her Dad was slowly sinking in his seat, and her Mom was banging her head on the table repeatedly. Rainbow Dash suddenly didn't know what to say. She was lost. Rainbow Dash got up and slowly walked towards the door.

"I-I... need to... g-go", Rainbow Dash stammered.

"Rainbow Dash, wait", her Mom cried, but Rainbow Dash took off running. She ran down the hall, ran into her room, and slammed the door shut. The secret was out. The thing they hid for so long was now found out.

And for some reason, Rainbow Dash felt nothing.

***

So... how you feel about the whole 'your Mom is a secret agent and your Dad is a immigrant and they lied to you all about it' thing?

That's one way to put it you moron!

She didn't know why, but listening to Smoke and Fracture Light argue made her feel worst. She threw some more supplies in her bag, along with Tank's necessities. Spike apparently was taking care of the pets when they were having the meeting, and decided to give Tank back. Rainbow Dash thought about leaving Tank here where it was safe, but she didn't what to leave him with a bunch of strangers. Was it selfish to decide not to leave your pet somewhere safe because you want to keep him by your side? At this point, she really didn't care anymore.

Do really you think it's a good idea to bring your turtle with you?

Tortoise.

Whatever.

Suddenly the door creaked open. Rainbow Dash looked up to see her Dad. She didn't say anything to him. There was nothing to say to him. She looked back down, packing away another cover. The thumping of hooves and the groan of the creaky bed that Rainbow Dash had her suitcase propped up on signified that her Dad sat down on her bed beside her.

"Rainbow Dash, I... you see...", her Dad stumbled over his words. Rainbow Dash looked back up to her Dad as he rubbed the temple of his head," I never wanted to keep this a secret."

"You're from over the Wall", Rainbow Dash snapped.

"Yes."

"Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Princess Celestia said not too."

"Really", Rainbow Dash said, giving her Dad a disbelieving look," Princess Celestia didn't look like she cared too much."

"Weeeell she once did."

There was an awkward silence between them.

Ask about the Wall.

Go on.

"So what's it like. Over the Wall", Rainbow Dash asked. She asked because she didn't want to fight with her Dad. Seeing him sad made her upset. She also asked because she was genuinely curious.

"Oh it's a beautiful place", her Dad said as his eyes gleamed with distant memory," There are ponies of every type, the weather was always a surprise, flowers of every sort appeared, and there wasn't two places that were exactly alike. There were stories and festivals and ponies that were so unique. Oh, you would of loved it Dashie." Then his eyes dulled as a sudden sadness washed over him," Princess Celestia didn't want your Mom to stay. She said Raindrop must return to Equestria."

"Wait. Isn't the other side of the Wall still in Equestria."

"No sweetie. On the other side of the Wall is an entirely different country. I'm from The Shadowlands."

Rainbow Dash stared down at her hooves. Another country? Did it work the same way as Equestria? There was so many questions and enough enough time.

"Does the rest of our family knows", Rainbow Dash asked.

Her Dad open his mouth to answer, but shouting started echoing through the halls.

"HA! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT", Hope shouted joyfully.

"Sounds like Hope found out", her Dad said with a smile. " You should continued packing. This 'special mission' isn't gonna be the same without you."

Rainbow Dash began to zip up her suitcase when a thought hit her.

"Dad?"

"Yes Rainbow Dash?"

"I don't know how to feel since I never heard about the Wall. Is it a bad place?"

Her Dad stared at her for a minute," It's about as bad as Equestria. It just has trouble hidding it."

With that, he left, only leaving Rainbow Dash with more questions.

***

"Now, Princess, why did you say that you didn't want our children or anypony to find out, and then, sixteen years later, you tell everypony like it was no big deal."

Her Mom seemed very upset at Princess Celestia, but her Dad, on the other hoof, couldn't be happier. Apparently, finally getting a terrible secret out into the open can make one feel better.

"Well... in my defense, I thought you would have told them by now", Princess Celestia said innocently.

"Well", Rainbow Dash's Mom hissed," you could've warn somepony."

"What? I am sorry, okay?"

Rainbow Dash picked up her suitcase and began carrying it to the train station.

"Now the ponies I assigned to this mission are Shinning Armor, Flash Sentry, Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Spitfire, Fleetfoot, Soarin, Thunder Dash, Rainbow Dash, and of course, you, Raindrop."

"We will complete the mission, Princess", Rainbow Dash's Mom replied with confidence.

"I do hope so", Princess Celestia whispered.

They all piled in the train, saying their goodbyes. Rainbow Dash was kind of disappointed. Her brothers, Hope and Wisp, and Twister didn't come to say bye. Where were they? Sadly, without saying goodbye, Rainbow Dash hopped aboard the train. She sat down and looked out of the window as the pulled out of the train station. There was a flash of blue, and then the train was transported into a world of white. Rainbow Dash sighed. Why was she constantly moving? Why couldn't she have a normal life, worrying about petty thing like no milk with cereal or not enough ice cream? She rested her head against the side of the train. Her whole life has been flipped upside down. Ever since those stupid elements. But, then again, without them she wouldn't have met her friends. Rainbow Dash let out another sigh. Why was life complicated?

She tried comforting herself by petting Tank on the head. Tank looked up at her with his caring eyes. They seemed to ask, why are you so sad, Rainbow Dash? You wouldn't want to know buddy, Rainbow Dash thought. Suddenly, the was a loud thud. Rainbow Dash jumped up out of her seat, sitting Tank down. She turned around to where the sound had come from. It was from the cart that the luggage was usually kept.

"What was that", Rainbow Dash asked aloud.

"I think there's sompony on the train", Twilight answered.

"Oh my", Fluttershy whispered.

Rainbow Dash slowly began to walk up to the door. Shining Armor and Flash Sentry had their hooves ready to grab their weapons. Rarity's eyes were wide with horror, and the Wonderbolts looked as if the were ready to pounce. Watching them prepare for the worse sent chills done Rainbow Dash's spine. Terrible thought of what was behind the door began to fog her mind. Rainbow Dash hesitantly reached for the handle.

"Careful Rainbow", her Mom called out.

Rainbow Dash tried to swallow her fear. She quickly grabbed handle and swung the door open.

And what she found was a complete surprise.