• Published 8th Jul 2016
  • 1,352 Views, 36 Comments

End of the Beginning: Darkness Falls - NerdyByrd



So far Equestria's is moving along just find. So why is Rainbow Dash constantly looking over her shoulder? Why is she suddenly afraid the shadows are going to come and get her? That's crazy! Right?

  • ...
2
 36
 1,352

Within Your Heart

Rainbow Dash's eyes fluttered open to find a sky of bright stars above. She slowly sat herself up to find that the burning sensation in her chest was gone. There wasn't any trace of it being there at all, but her head hurt. Rainbow Dash rubbed it, and looked around her surroundings. She was laying next to a fire in the woods. She shivered.

"Well, its about time you woken up", Spark said behind her.

Rainbow Dash just stared at him. She couldn't find it in her to talk.

"Okay then", Spark said, breaking the silence. "That was pretty impressive. What you did before you fell to the ground, screaming. Never thought I would ever see somepony with that kind of magic."

Rainbow Dash frowned.

"I don't have magic", Rainbow Dash said.

"Yeah you do", Spark argued," A few hours ago you-"

"Rainbow Dash", another voice called.

She turned around to find her Dad coming out of the woods. Her Dad held her in his embrace, and just sat there for a minute.

"I'll be keeping an eye out for Shadow Wolves", Spark said uncomfortably. He pointed to the woods behind them. "Waaaaaaay over there."

As soon as Spark was out of earshot, her Dad let out a huge sigh.

"I'm so sorry Rainbow-"

"Dad, what happened to me", Rainbow Dash interrupted.

Her Dad held her gaze. Then he held her hoof.

"When you were a foal, your mother and I knew you and your brothers were special. And I mean really special. Your brother Wisp... he's a seer. I know you and siblings thought Wisp's eyes were strange, but that was because he is seer. He's able to see through disguises and illusions. And Hope. You know how he can tell when somepony is lying. He also has magical abilities. But you Dash..." Rainbow Dash watched as her Dad shook his head. "Your abilities are much different. You threw that Shadow Wolf back without even touching it. You... you have magic."

Rainbow Dash pulled her hoof away from her Dad. What was he talking about? He's crazy! But Rainbow Dash knew it wasn't true. Just like Twister said about her, her Dad wasn't crazy. He definitely would never lie to her about something lie this. The only explanation was...

He was telling the truth.

Rainbow Dash held her hoover to her chest and squeezed her eye shut. It was all she could do from panicking. Her Dad went to brush her mane out of her face, but Rainbow Dash jerked away.

"I know what it feels like to be you", her Dad whispered.

"How", Rainbow Dash said, trying to keep her voice even. But it just came out as a squeak.

"Cause I have abilities too."

Rainbow Dash turned to look at her Dad to find him glowing. He was brighter than the fire next to them. His piercing yellow eyes shined like the sun, and his wings flickered like a candle with every movement. A white light seemed to come off of him. Rainbow Dash watched in awe. Then all the light faded from him, leaving him normal again.

"You see", her Dad whispered," We're special."

Rainbow Dash rested her head on her Dad's shoulder.

"What are we", Rainbow Dash asked.

"We are Power Surges, and if we tried we could be more powerful than Alicorns."

"Then why didn't you tell us", Rainbow Dash asked," Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because Princess Celestia didn't want you to know."

"And why's that?"

Rainbow Dash stared into her Dad's eyes. He looked back her. His eyes, for the first time she could ever remember, held great concern and worry. He wrapped a wing around Rainbow Dash, and pulled her closer to him.

"Because she is afraid us."

***

Echo watched as the two held each other in their embrace. It made him long for his family. But his parents were dead. He only had his little brother left, and couldn't bare the thought of losing him too. Echo quickly shook the thoughts out of his head. He couldn't think these kind of things. He had to focus. His mission was to retrieve Rainbow Dash and bring her to Princess Moon, and nothing was going to stop him. He crouched in the trees, and watched them very carefully before sinking back into the darkness.

He will please his princess.

It was the only way to find peace.

***

"Rainbow Dash is what now", Twilight asked completely in confusion.

"A Power Surge", Raindrop said rolling her eyes.

Twilight was still confused. What was a Power Surge, and what did it have to do with Rainbow Dash? But Twilight kept silent, and waited for Raindrop to continue.

"A Power Surge is a pony who has an extreme amount of power, as in magic. They can do extraordinary things. But what makes them so dangerous is that their magic is linked to their emotion. Fear and anger are the most dangerous emotions they can have. Having those emotions can really hurt somepony."

"So... Rainbow Dash is a pony who can use magic, but isn't a Unicorn", Twilight said thoughtfully.

"Actually", Spark said, worming his way into their conversation, making Twilight wonder where he came from," Pegasus and Earth Ponies can, in fact, use magic. It just in little ways, such as if an Earth Pony seemingly is stronger than a Unicorn. Or the fact that a Pegasus can walk on clouds. Just like Mister Stupid-Looking over there", Spark said very loudly, gesturing to Soarin.

"What have I done to deserve this", Soarin shouted at him.

"Everything", Spark shouted back.

"Anyway", Raindrop said, shaking her head," Spark's right. All ponies have magic."

"I knew that", Twilight said, frowning. "I meant, real magic. Like Unicorn magic."

"Well they do have real magic", Raindrop replied with a shrug. "The only reason why we don't see it other then the everyday things, is because ponies don't know their able to, or don't feel like putting the effort or determination in it. It is hard to strengthen your magic. Mostly, because there aren't any wizards to show you how."

"Wizards", Shining Armor said with a chuckle.

"I'm serious", Raindrop snapped," And if you don't believe me, so be it! But if you come face to face with an Earth Pony who can blast you with magic, don't come crying to me!"

"I thought you said there aren't anymore wizards", Twilight asked.

"There aren't", Raindrop growled, obviously becoming frustrated. "Wizards can use advance spells, such as teleportation, or even more advance; age regression. But we only know a fraction of the spells and training exercises they used to preform. Today, ponies that would learn that fraction of spells, can only blast you with concentrated magic. It's not as powerful, but it still hurts," Raindrop looked back at Twilight," Rainbow Dash's magic is much different from that kind of magic. As I said, that kind of magic is can be controlled by her emotions."

"So does Rainbow Dash now about that", Pinkie asked worriedly.

"No", Raindrop answered, lowering her head," Celestia didn't want her to."

"Why not", Twilight asked.

"I don't know! 'Cause she scared", Raindrop shouted. She then lowered her voice," If you want to know, asked Celestia. She casted the containment spell."

"Containment spell", Twilight repeated.

"It's a spell that limits a pony's magic. Rainbow Dash had one casted on her to keep her from using her magic. She was limited to the average magic of a Pegasus." Raindrop's expression suddenly darken. "Little did Celestia know, or didn't cared, a Power Surge must learn how to control their magic. If they don't, they can accidently hurt a lot of ponies."

"If Rainbow Dash has a containment spell cast on her, how can she use magic", Flash chirped.

Raindrop scowled. "It wore of off! On ponies like you and me, the caster can keep you under the spell as long as they want, but it doesn't work that way on Power Surges. A Power Surge's magic is too powerful to be contained, depending on the magic and how powerful they are."

"Question", Spitfire said, raising her hoof.

"Yes", Raindrop said, pointing to her.

"Is being a Power Surge inheritable?"

"It has a higher chance of happening, but is mostly random."

"Oh... okay."

"Alright everypony", Raindrop said," Let's get our sticks back to camp. The fire's gonna need it."

Twilight watched as Raindrop picked up her bundle. She couldn't believe what happened. Watching Rainbow Dash knock back that Shadow Wolf was amazing. The only thing that she couldn't figure out is Princess Celestia's reasons for keeping all of this from Rainbow Dash. That is...

if Princess Celestia had any good reasons.

***

Rainbow Dash leaned against a tree staring up at the starry sky. She had magic, and she didn't even know it. She closed her eyes. She opened them back up.

"Dad?"

"Yes Rainbow Dash", her Dad answered.

"How do I control it", she asked. Rainbow Dash now knew she had magic. At least she could learn how to use it properly.

"First lesson. Close your eyes", her Dad simply said. Rainbow Dash did just that. "Now concentrate. Look for an energy that is hidden deep inside of you."

At first, she didn't feel anything. In fact, she didn't know what she was looking for. But slowly, she began to feel an 'energy'. It made her feel just like when she blasted that Shadow Wolf, but this time it didn't hurt. She felt like she was on fire, but it didn't burn. It was more like a gut feeling than an actual feeling. Like she her gut told her she was on fire, but she didn't know for sure. It was... relaxing.

"The more focus on that energy", her Dad continued," The more you will be aware of it."

"So when do we get to lesson two", Rainbow Dash asked.

She felt her Dad lay his hoof on her shoulder.

"When you can feel that energy without closing your eyes."

"Hey everybody", Spark shouted, not caring he was interrupting a moment between Rainbow Dash and her Dad. He marched out of the woods straight to the campsite, followed by everypony else. "Everypony now knows your a Power Surge Rainbow Dash! But right now, at this very moment, nopony cares because they're too busy trying to find some vault or something!"

Rainbow Dash watched him very closely as he threw a bundle of wood into the fire.

"You can't just do that", Rainbow Dash whispered.

"Hmmm", Spark said, looking back at her.

"You can't do that", Rainbow Dash said again, speaking much louder," You might put the fire out. You need to give it room to breathe, or you'll smother it."

"Oh", Spark said, looking back the fire. He took another stick and began to move the logs around in the fire.

Rainbow Dash sighed. She looked over at Twister, who was sound asleep next to her. Dad said he hasn't woken up since the Shadow Wolf attack. She watched Twister as his right ear twitched in his sleep. Suddenly, he breathed in sharply and a look of horror spread across his face, but just as quickly as it appeared, it vanished. Rainbow Dash, worriedly, brushed her hoof across his mane. Twister let out a soft groan, and curled up into a ball.

"Dad? Is Twister going to be okay", Rainbow Dash asked.

"He should be", her Dad replied calmly," Being scratched by a Shadow Wolf is painful, but it won't kill you. Well... depending on the wounds. But his wounds are not life threatening."

Rainbow Dash looked down at Twister again," He just seems to be in some pain. Can't we do anything?"

"Well we could go to the Lunar Capital", her Dad said slowly," But... it's to dangerous. The Lunar Capital doesn't like outsiders all that much, and they may take him, and... experiment on him."

"What", Rainbow Dash asked. She looked around and noticed all eyes were trained on her Dad.

"Well", her Dad began, looking very uncomfortable," The Lunar Capital doesn't like outsiders. And by outsiders, I mean anypony outside their walls. The Lunar Capital is completely surrounded by walls of their own, and they don't like lending outsiders anything. If they do happen to give you something, such as food or medical attention, they believe you owe them your life. They would take you and... well... experiment on you. Magic, medicine, altering your DNA. It doesn't matter. They'll find use of you."

"That wrong", Twilight said angrily.

"It is", her Dad agreed with a nod," but they care. The horrible thing is that the citizens don't even know about it. It's all their leaders doing. He keeps all this a secret from them."

"Haven't anypony told them this", Twilight said, raising her voice.

"Well, to them, their leader, Golden Wing, is like Celestia. If somepony came up to you and said Princess Celestia was experimenting on ponies, you wouldn't believe them."

Twilight let out a 'hmmpf' and turned away. Rainbow Dash did see where she was coming from. It was very wrong for somepony to do such a thing. Rainbow Dash sighed. She hoped that Twister wouldn't get any worse. If he did, they'll would have to find another way. Rainbow Dash laid her head on the ground next to Twister, hoping to get some sleep.

Luckily, sleep came.

***

"Rainbow Dash! Get up!", a voice hissed.

Rainbow Dash slowly lifted her head, and let out a yawn.

"Morning already", Rainbow Dash asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Hush", the voice hissed again.

As Rainbow Dash's eyes adjusted, she found herself looking at Fractured Light.

"Fractured Light", Rainbow Dash nearly shouted.

"Hush! What did I say?! Hush", Fractured Light yelled-whispered.

Rainbow Dash watched everypony around her very carefully. Some of them moved, but nopony woke up. She quietly walked over to Fractured Light, watching her steps carefully. She followed him into the woods until she couldn't she the campsite anymore. Finally, Fractured Light came to a stop.

"What's going on, and why did you make me come all the way out here", Rainbow Dash demanded.

"One", Fracture, Rainbow Dash decided to nickname him, growled," I don't know how you feel, but personally I don't enjoy being awoken from my nap. Two, I think your friends here would think you went mad if you were talking to nopony."

"What do mean", Rainbow Dash asked in confusion," Isn't this a dream?"

"No", Fracture said shaking his head," I'm really here. Sort of."

"What do you 'sort of' ", she asked, growing impatient.

"I'm under a spell. Right now, if any of your friends come out here, they won't see me. I can try to make my presence known, but they probably won't notice me. The shadows cling to me too much. You can see me because I cast a spell, one of the only spells I can cast, on you so you can see me." He paused and gave Rainbow Dash a smile. "I look quite handsome, don't I", he said, running his hoof through his messy hair.

"Was there something else you wanted to tell me. Maybe something actually important", Rainbow Dash said, crossing her forelegs.

Fracture scowled at her. "Well you're no fun. Okay, the thing is Twister is hurt."

"What a shocker", Rainbow Dash said, mocking a surprised tone.

"That is not what I meant!"

"Really?"

"Yes, really", Fracture hissed," He has Nightmare Sickness."

Rainbow Dash felt her stomach drop.

"What's Nightmare Sickness", Rainbow Dash asked as her stomach started doing flips.

"It an illness that traps a pony in a deep sleep. Creates nightmares that can kill you."

"Is there a cure?"

Fractured Light nodded," Yes... but it's only known by few."

"What is it?"

Fracture moved backwards. He gave Rainbow Dash a depressing look. "I don't know, but I'm working on it."

Rainbow Dash sat down on the ground, and hugged herself.

"H-how could he get this", Rainbow Dash asked in a shaky voice.

Fractured Light just stared at her. "By simply being pricked by the thorns of the a flower known as Waking Nightmare. He was... pricked while they were dragging him. A simple thing."

Rainbow Dash closed her eyes tightly and focused on her breathing for a moment. When she finally open her eyes, Fractured Light was sitting inches from her. He rested his hoof on her shoulder. His lightless hoof.

"I'll fix this Rainbow Dash. I promise."

Then stood up and walked off into the woods. When he was a few yards in, he disappeared in a puff of smoke. His words echoed in her head. I'll fix this Rainbow Dash. I promise.

She held her hooves close to her chest.

I promise.

Author's Note:

Well... Rainbow Dash has magic, Twilight's questioning her teacher and fellow princess, Twister's sick and possibly going to die, and the Lunar Capitol is a very evil place.

This chapter was very fun to write!:pinkiehappy: