• Published 12th Dec 2015
  • 1,689 Views, 74 Comments

Possession in the Crystal Empire - Askre



Cadance and Shining Armor find a pony outside the Crystal Empire, possessed by an old enemy

  • ...
3
 74
 1,689

Chapter 20. I have no doubt there are all kinds of stories about me.

Chapter 20

The tunnel eventually led to a large cavern. The walls were lined with crystal torches emitting the same blue glow and higher up was another level lit up the same way, but there was no visible way to reach the ledge up there save flying.

Private Iceland stopped when he was fully inside and raised his head a little to look around. He was a bit confused, aside from the torches, there was nothing else that indicated anyone had ever come here. Though the pony had to admit, it sort of looked like an old dragon’s cave, minus the dragon.

“What in tarnation?” Sombra growled as he appeared behind Private, scowling hard as he looked around. Private eyed back at him wondering what was wrong. The spirit floated past him and looked both confused and angry.

“This can’t be, the wards were still up, the spell still locked the entrance. Where is everything!?” the Dark King snarled as he went back and forth in the cave, even sprouting into his smoke form to rise up to the second level, answering how one got up there if one didn’t have wings.

“Well, thousand years, that’s enough time for somepony to come and take whatever was supposed to be here,” Private pointed out and jumped back when King Sombra was immediately right in front of him, glowering down at him, his eyes now glowing brightly red and green.

“Then perhaps you can explain to me how somepony got past my wards, unlocked the locking spell, took everything out and was so kind as to relock the only entrance!” Sombra snapped at the covering Unicorn.

“Thousand years,” Private whispered in a barely audible voice, shaking where he stood. The Dark King looked extremely menacing in the dim, sickly light. “Are you sure that this is still the only entrance? Plenty of creatures can dig.”

Sombra leaned his head forward, still looking as if he was ready to rip Private to shreds, causing the other Unicorn to sink all the way down to the floor. The king kept looking at his host like this for a good minute before his scowl eased and the green glow in his eyes subsided.

“I concede that is a good theory, the torches are only lit because of my presence and if someone were to dig themselves here from another direction, they would not necessarily set off the wards,” the Dark Unicorn grunted and turned around. His horn glowed and suddenly the torches began emitting brighter light, illuminating the whole cavern more properly.

“And there it is.” King Sombra narrowed his eyes when seeing what looked like a small tunnel entrance at the back of the cave, it had been practically invisible in the previously dimmer light. The king floated closer and peered inside, then sent a blast of magic into it to see how far it went.

“Seems the tunnel collapsed long ago, so this entrance is useless unless someone digs through solid rock,” he snorted and turned around. The king was scowling again. “But the damage is done.”

“D-dare I ask what you were hoping to find here?” Private asked. With the brighter light he could now see some signs that this cave had been used, there were the remains of old tables in one corner and some smashed wood that could have been crates once.

“Equipment I stashed here for safekeeping before heading into the Crystal Empire when I first arrived there,” Sombra grumbled and floated over to him. “I had heard about the Crystal Heart and though I felt I could conceal my own magic from its protective field, I was uncertain if I could conceal some of the things I had accumulated on my travels.”

“Even back when I was ruling the Crystal Empire I didn’t go and fetch it, because I confirmed that at least some of it would have been affected by the Crystal Heart’s magic. I needed to corrupt it before it was safe to bring it to the empire,” the Dark Pony explained as he sat down next to his host.

“This is frustrating. Some of this equipment could have sped up the reconstruction of my body. Worst of all I’ve, lost the amulet. I should have just risked taking it with me!” He rubbed his forehead tiredly in frustration. “Blasted Crystal Heart! I would have smashed it if it hadn’t been so pivotal in keeping the weather at bay as well. Even my magic could only do so much.”

Private said nothing, deep down secretly glad that whatever stuff had been here had been taken away. Sounded like it would grant the spirit too much power. He froze when feeling a hoof caressing his mane. He eyed Sombra who now had a thoughtful expression on his face.

Seriously, nothing may happen, but I still seriously wish you would stop touching me, the unicorn thought and just tried to think of something else, but all the warning bells in his head were screaming at him that his personal space was being violated.

The hoof was removed and he could hear Sombra growl in frustration. Private glanced back at the king who was staring his hoof, his eyes twitching a little.

“Get a grip, he’s not Timido!” he could hear the Dark Pony mutter angrily and rose up and floated away.

Now Private was really confused. Sombra had so far not had any qualms touching him and making him uncomfortable and even heavily imply what awaited him in the future. The Unicorn wondered if this was what the king meant about some of his old self returning.

“W-who or what is Timido?” Private risked asking. It wasn’t like he had anything better to do and the Dark Pony had so far been willing to answer. Sombra had started to go towards the dug up tunnel.

“He was my last comfort colt before I left my mother’s court,” the king said and looked back at him. He looked grim. “He wasn’t unlike you - quiet, reserved, didn’t really want to be in my service.”

“He was forced to be your…” Private couldn’t really even say the word anymore, the fact that he now knew what Sombra wanted with him made it really uncomfortable to think about.

“My mother manipulated his parents into giving him over. She tended to shower me with gifts and servants to keep me placated and in place. This habit of her increased after my sister was born,” the king growled and started to float back. He regarded his host critically, then seemed to realize. “Ah you are confused as to why I pulled my hoof back.”

Okay it’s starting to get creepy how well he reads me, even if he’s been inside my head. Private cringed and just watched the spirit approach.

“There is nothing ‘creepy’ at all about it, Private,” King Sombra chuckled and partly circled his host, then lowered his head so it was on level with him. “I’m still connected to you; I can hear your thoughts.”

Private paled up and stopped breathing for a second in shock. He could really only stare at the now laughing Dark King, who was greatly amused by his reaction.

“Honestly, you thought I still couldn’t hear you? I’m still possessing you, I may appear outside your body, but I did warn you a while ago not to give yourself some false sense of security,” the Dark Unicorn smirked. Suddenly Private stood up without any prompts and was dragged in a quick circle before Sombra released his hold and the pony dropped back to the ground.

“The sooner you get it into your head, the easier it will be for you, Private,” King Sombra said and floated over to him. Private didn’t look up, just continued to stare at the ground. He closed his eyes when the king started to pat his head. “I own you, I have owned you since you were a little colt, crying yourself to sleep in the corner of the cage in my laboratory.”

“As for my comment earlier, I wouldn’t read too much into it, I was distracted in thought,” he then said and turned around. “Enough chatter, since my equipment isn’t here, I’m going to have to improvise how we welcome our ‘guests’.”

“Guests?” Private now dared to look up, Sombra had changed into his smoke and shadow form and began rising to the second level of the cavern.

“I made a rather spectacular sound when we arrived at the mountain, even amplified it to ensure it was heard. The Princesses know where I am, they will be here within hours in a vain attempt to stop me,” the king explained as he began sweeping his smoke like tendrils at the rocky walls, as he did glowing runes appeared that then seemed to dissolve into the walls.

Private didn’t know enough about magic to know what those runes were, but could still easily guess that they were bad news. He sighed and wished he had some way to warn those that were probably coming. The pony was also getting hungry again, the Unicorn looked around and saw to his dismay that they had left the backpacks outside.

I wonder if… no wait he can hear me, he quickly suppressed his urge to drop into his regular thinking mode. It was difficult since it was just something he slipped into so easily when left alone to his own devices.

“Still trying to be defiant,” a familiar voice sounded right behind him. Private froze when feeling a leg go around him.

“You’re no hero, Private. You are simply a pony who works in a museum, who has occasionally stopped your brother from succeeding in engaging in illegal activities, mostly on pure luck alone,” the voice whispered, a muzzle was right next to his ear. “At least now you are serving some purpose, before this the most excitement you could be waiting for was your niece’s birthday.”

The Unicorn tried to pull away but was held firmly in the grip of the one-legged hug. Then from the corner of his eyes, he noticed something. Sombra was still up on the second level of the cave, setting up his traps. Private stared confused at the king for a moment before slowly glancing to his right.

There was nothing there. Private blinked and looked down, no leg was around him. The pony rose up and started to look around, bewildered. His gaze went back to King Sombra who was paying no heed to him and didn’t seem to have heard anything.

Is that what he meant with I’m cracking? Because this feels like I’m cracking, the Unicorn thought.

“Am I really this far gone?” Private muttered. He did lose it earlier and was definitely still feeling uncomfortable being alone here with Sombra, spirit or not. He was still trying to mull this over when the Dark King landed in front of him and reassumed his pony form.

“This will have to do, too much and I won’t have much energy left if it comes to battle,” the Dark Pony said and glanced down at his host.

“Did you and this Timido… uh do it?” Private asked and hoofed his face. Here he was facing possible lifelong enslavement and end of Equestria if the spirit possessing him won and he was asking the king a personal question about him and his former servant.

“Do it? Do what exactly? He was a comfort colt; his duties were to engage in various activities with me.” Sombra arched his brow. “That is certainly not the line of questioning I was expecting; most ponies would be trying to fish out what traps I just laid.”

“My mind sometimes goes to the gutter and likes to stay there whether I like it or not,” Private grunted only to earn an even more confused look from the Dark King.

“What does the sewage system have to do with your state of mind?” Sombra asked and sat down. “If you are interested in learning about the duties of comfort colts, then by all means ask. That is your future job with me anyway.”

For a brief moment Private was actually mildly amused that the Dark Pony had not known what the Unicorn was talking about. However, it wasn’t so much that he wanted to know, it was more that he felt he would be better prepared if he really knew what was going to be expected of him. Private didn’t like this possible new career change, but griping and worrying about it weren’t getting him anywhere. On the plus side, if he kept Sombra’s focus on him, he could maybe delay and distract the king while the rescue party was on its way.

“I will ask it differently. There is a lot of stigma around the word ‘comfort colt’ and ‘comfort filly’ in Equestria today. History does not paint a pretty picture of this ancient occupation that today is considered deplorable. Is it true that this occupation was very intimate?” Private sat down and actually modified his speech a little to use words Sombra might be more familiar with.

“Is sexual intercourse a deplorable word as well? Because if that’s what you are asking, if I mounted Timido, then yes, yes I did. That was one of his duties,” King Sombra answered with devious smirk. “Seriously Private, I would have thought you figured that out back when I confirmed what I wanted with you.”

“I figured that out, I just wasn’t sure if you were just toying with me or if you actually… you were doing both weren’t you?” the smaller Unicorn put both front hooves over his face and sighed in frustration.

“Why are you so hung up on this, Private? Granted it’s been amusing to see your mind flailing around at the prospect, but at the same time it’s beginning to become a little repetitive,” the king said and his smirk dropped a bit.

Because I’m afraid I might like it, Private thought only to remember too late that the spirit could hear his thoughts.

“Does this have anything to do with this dual nature of yours that you so desperately hide?” Sombra asked. He rose up and floated closer to his host who felt like sinking into the ground right now.

“Alright fine, I don’t care if you don’t want to hear this, but here goes. I have never had sex, I’m a virgin, I’ve never touched a mare or a stallion in a sexual way. In fact, sexual talk makes me uncomfortable. You already know I don’t like to be touched, so you probably already have a pretty good idea how I might feel about being touched in suggestive manner,” Private snorted and folded his arms as he glared down at the floor. “So I can’t really help it to be a little hung up on the prospect that you want me as your fricking sex slave!”

“If I wanted you as a slave, I wouldn’t be bothering with seducing you. I would just treat you as any other concubine,” King Sombra said with such a deadpan tone that Private’s scowl dropped and he looked up at him even more confused.

“Wait what?” the Unicorn said in utter bafflement.

“You thought comfort colts were slaves? Their services are attained voluntarily. Granted Timido wasn’t given much of a choice by my mother, but if you think I went on him against his wishes, you are very mistaken,” Sombra told him and his smirk resumed.

“Then again I probably shouldn’t blame you. I have no doubt there are all kinds of stories about me, how I treated the Crystal Ponies and I admit I did have a harem of mares to service me. However,” the Dark Pony rose up and floated closer to his host. “I yes took any mare I wanted, but you would be surprised how many mares, who have to feed their families, are willing if all it takes is one night with their king. Then again I suppose by today’s standard it’s considered no better than if I had just dragged them kicking and screaming into my chamber.”

“So you’re telling me, that if I say no, I don’t want to, you will not do it against my will?” Private sounded very skeptical and his suspicions didn’t ease at all when the king just smirked wider.

“I don’t think I’ll give you much of an opportunity to say no,” Sombra said slyly and raised his hoof to caress his host’s cheek for a moment before dropping back down.

Private decided to try and change the subject. If there was one thing he did agree with King Sombra, this particular one was starting to get a bit repetitive. He started to glance around. Nothing seemed different, yet the spirit had been quite busy earlier.

“I suppose it’s pointless in asking you what you were doing up there and what kind of traps you set,” he remarked and looked at Sombra.

“As I've told you before, I’m not in the habit of explaining everything I do,” the king said and grinned deviously. “I’d much rather keep it a surprise.”

The smaller Unicorn couldn’t say he was surprised by this response. Yet with how close to the ceiling Sombra had been working, Private wondered if those runes were explosive in nature and were meant to cause a cave in.

“You know, I think it is time I subject you to a few inquiries. I’ve been meaning to do so but with how fast things escalated, I just haven’t really had the time,” King Sombra said and his expression turned more serious. Private was mildly surprised that the Dark Pony needed to ask anything, considering how long the king had been inside his mind by now. Then again, the king had said he hadn’t accessed all of it or at least ignored some of it.

Private steeled himself, half expecting all kinds of questions he didn’t want to answer or probably didn’t know the real answers to anyway. What he wasn’t prepared for was getting interrogated about not just the political landscape of Equestria, but the lands beyond it as well. The Unicorn was so taken off-guard that he answered most of them automatically.

Then Sombra went into technological advancements. He had already noted the train and various other things, but now he wanted further details that he hadn’t bothered fishing out of Private’s mind before. It took Private a good five minutes to realize what the king was doing. He was preparing himself for the modern world. He was making himself ready to be alive again in modern Equestria instead of a thousand years ago.

Must be because we have time to kill, the unicorn thought, not caring that the Spirit could hear him and by the looks of it Sombra ignored it and just kept asking this and that about the modern world.

The Unicorn decided not to complain too much about this. It worked for him as well. It kept Sombra distracted and focused on him and the things the king was asking about just about anyone who bothered to open a book would know.

“The world really has changed,” Sombra frowned and seemed to drop into thought.

“It has, seriously,” Private grunted and for a brief moment forgot he was talking to the spirit of the Tyrant of the Crystal Empire.

“One hundred years ago we didn’t even have the trains we have today. One thousand years is a really long time. It’s closer to the time when we ponies were not as nice and friendly to each other than today. A thousand years ago, the Princesses didn’t even live in Canterlot and manual labor was generally considered an Earth Pony job. Heck, fifty years ago I wouldn’t have been lying in such a comfy hospital bed. Society radically changes every, oh ten years or so just to give it a generous round up. We are always changing both how we think and do things. Sixty years ago Dirthoof was a socially acceptable term for an Earth Pony farmer, now it’s a racial slur. You can’t go forward in time and expect things to have stayed the same,” he ranted before remembering who he was speaking to. He half expected a snide mocking comment, but only silence came from the king.

“If one does not learn from history, one is sure to have to repeat it,” King Sombra finally spoke and frowned even heavier as he rubbed his muzzle thoughtfully.

Um, what? Private arched his brow.

“I wish I had more time mull this over, but time grows short. It is now only a question of time before the others show up,” Sombra said and rose up to his feet, he was smirking again.

Crud, Private realized that distracting the king by talking had failed. However, it was a good bet that Sombra had figured that was going on already. Then again the king suddenly had a look of surprise on him and turned his head to the sealed tunnel entrance just as it exploded.

End chapter 20

Author's Note:

Proofread by Hail King Sombra

You know it's probably a a bad sign when even the villain is getting tired of the sexual innuendo. :rainbowlaugh: