• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 3,995 Views, 171 Comments

Carolean - Symphony



A carolean soldier in Equestria

  • ...
13
 171
 3,995

Cruelty

A/N: Edited by frieD195 Also, this chapter contains some cruel themes, as to demonstrate a small portion of the Carolean cruelty.



As I stared down the barrel of the musket, everything around me slowed down. The sounds of the forest were strengthened to an almost annoying level, but my concentration was too strong to be broken by some birds chirping.


A sudden rustle besides me made me glance to my side momentarily. I yelped in shock as something collided into my injured ribs. Out of pure instinct, I pulled the trigger completely. The aim was far from the lavender magician, but the crack from the gun and the sudden spout of black powder smoke made me cringe at the waste of ammunition. But a shrill shriek and the distinct smell of charred flesh made me grin.


I had collapsed from the sudden hit. I looked to where I had been impacted to see Fluttershy, her glare could best be described as a gate to hell itself. I shuddered and turned towards where the scream had come from. I grinned even wider as I saw Twilight Sparkle staring back at me, her eyes were as wide as plates and her pupils were barely visible pricks.


I smiled sadistically as I saw blood trickle down from her behind where one of the sparkle-like images were. A rip through the flesh was torn right through the middle of one of the markings. Fluttershy had noticed her injury and leapt off of me, accidentally stomping down on my injured ribs as she took off. I stood up slowly and dusted off my coat carefully and then proceeded to pick up my musket. I held out the strap and swung it over my shoulder while drawing out the hirschfängare. A Carolean never leaves something half-done.


’‘Any last words?’’ I growled menacingly as I came closer to the fear-struck pony. It’s funny really. One man, or in this case, pony, can be incredibly cocky and full of themselves when they’re not in any danger. I can even laugh at the men who believe themselves to be much better than everyone else when they, like everyone else, whimper and cry when they know that their life is ending. I can only laugh.


’‘Please... Don’t...’’ Twilight Sparkle started backing away from me, whimpering from time to time as the wound on her injured leg ripped even wider with every move. Her horn started glowing with the same wicked aura as before. I smacked her horn with the flat of my blade, making her lose her concentration and causing the aura to vanish. I grabbed her horn with my left hand and lifted her, using her horn as a handle. She screamed in agony as I lifted her. There’s probably some kind of nerve inside the horn, If I would dare to guess. Fluttershy just stared at me with pure horror.


’‘You know, you’re not very different from some humans I have encountered in my former life.’’ I pondered, the ponies stared at me dumbfounded, but Twilight pressed her eyes shut almost instantly after.


’’W...Why..?’’ Twilight Sparkle choked out through gritted teeth. Her hindlegs started thrashing in vain.


’‘Because when you’re cornered, when there’s no one there to help you, when there’s no chance for you to escape your fate, you start begging for your life.’’ I dropped the lavender pony. As soon as she hit the ground, tears formed in the corner of her purple eyes. ’‘Pathetic.’’ I raised my hand holding the sword higher, preparing to make the final slash. I smiled even wider as Twilight started to shiver from the fear coursing through her veins. If I’d guess, I would be quite the sight right now with this manic grin of mine. ’‘May God be more merciful against you in the Afterlife...’’


I slashed down with all the strength I could muster with an injured rib. The strike wouldn’t be that powerful, but it would be more than enough to do what I intended to do. I gritted my teeth as the strain on my ribs became more than I could handle, I followed through with the slash though, but something stopped it mid-air. It felt like something just grabbed hold of the blade and refused to let go. It didn’t clank against a shield or anything, so I presumed that more sorcery was involved. I opened my eyes to see a golden aura surrounding the blade and my hand. I tried to pull away from the aura, but it held me fastin it’s powerful grasp. I looked over to Fluttershy, she seemed to be surprised too about the sudden interruption, but there was also a hint of relief in her expression. I returned my gaze to Twilight Sparkle, who stared at the golden aura around my hand in awe. Her mouth formed into a great smile, who turned into a massive grin.


’‘Princess Celestia!’’ She exclaimed, overjoyed. Wait... Princess? I didn’t have time to react as my hand holding the blade suddenly twisted sickly. I heard a sickening crack from my wrist, I didn’t even have the time to scream from the pain as I was hit with a blunt object on the back of my head, making me fall unconscious. The last thing I was able to see before I was embraced in the sweet darkness surrounding me was two hooves clad in golden ornate shoes standing in front of me.


-----


The first thing I noticed when I woke up was my thumping head, it felt almost like my head was about to split in half from the constant abuse. I cracked my eyes open to see no light, except for a torch on the wall opposite from where I was. The light was enough for me to be able to take in my current situation.


The first thing I noticed was that I wasn’t wearing my coat, nor my shirt; the only one I had on my chest to cover myself was a great bandage firmly strapped onto me, they had probably seen my injuries and had done their best to heal them. Why would they help an enemy..? A similair bandage was on my left hand and wrist. It could have been wrapped better, but I presume that they didn’t have much experience with hands, as the ponies have hooves instead. At least I still had my tricorne.

I had been placed on a bunk-bed in the corner of what looked like to be a prison, as the iron bars down the foot of the bed didn’t seem to be very friendly. There, on the other side of the bars were my coat, sword and ammunition pouch. My musket was nowhere in sight. I cursed silently as I stood up and stretched my back. That bed wasn’t very comfortable, but this was a prison, after all. I would have to get used to it as I don’t think they would let me go without any punishment.


The resounding disturbance of a heavy door opening down the hall, followed by a sound of metal against stone bought my attention. I turned towards the bars and took a deep breath, calming down my nerves. A white pony came, but this pony had a much more powerful frame and was much bigger than the ponies I had already met. And instead of the nose being rounded, this pony’s nose was pointy and almost square. I presume that this pony was male then. It was wearing a luxurious golden armour, golden horseshoes and a golden helmet. It was impressive, to say the least. Another pony, and this one looked exactly like the last one walked up and placed himself next to his comrade. They had to be guards. Their posture showed it.


’‘Bow to Her Royal Majesty Princess Celestia!’’ The guard standing to the right announced, making me arch an eyebrow. More metal against stone, but this time the steps were much lighter and dainty-sounding. Great, a tiny little...huge pony Princesswho’stallerthanme... My eyes widened at the sight of the new addition to our merry little group of soldiers. The pony, Princess Celestia, was at least a head taller than me, not even adding the horn to her height. Her brilliant alabaster coat managed to shine in the light, even when the only source of light was the torch behind her. Her long, elegant swan-like neck just made her even more striking.


Her tri-color mane and tail flowed in an non-existant breeze, which I presumed to be from magic. I balled my hands into fists and clenched them shut. But perhaps the most striking feature of her presence was her eyes. The soft magenta eyes pierced through my soul and looked straight into me, almost as if she was searching for something within my own eyes. Her expression was set in stone; no emotion whatsoever was visible.


This was a true monarch in all her glory.


I couldn’t help myself, I dropped down onto a knee and bowed my head in respect. Caroleans are always told to respect all royalty, even in death.


’‘Rise.’’ Her soft, but yet commanding tone made it irresistable for me to do anything but to stand up again. I stood in attention, as I always did when spoken to by superiors. I could see the two guards glance at eachother in the back behind the Princess. ’‘You are Gustafv the Human, correct?’’


’‘Yes, your Highness.’’


’‘You and I are going to have a talk.’’ Her gaze hardened and almost made me shrink back. I gulped and nodded firmly once.


’’Of course, your Highness.’’


She stared at me for a couple of seconds, surprised at my manners. Her gaze hardened again after a while and she frowned. ’‘You stand accused of attempted murder.’’ Oh no... ’‘How do you plead?’’ Her eyes narrowed, she probably despises death or anything that attempts to take life.


’‘Guilty.’’ I stood still at attention, not moving a single muscle.