• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 3,995 Views, 171 Comments

Carolean - Symphony



A carolean soldier in Equestria

  • ...
13
 171
 3,995

Ponyville

Pre-read and edited by frieD195.



I tried my best to wrestle the crazy pink pony off of me. But I have to say, that pony sure knew how to avoid being caught... She just giggled as I tried to grab her by her sides and bounced just before I would be able to catch her. I snarled and rolled off my bed, making the pony roll off with me. I jumped to my feet and readied my stance. I started stalking forward as slowly as I could, only to dash toward the insane equine soon afterward.


The pony whooped and rolled to her left. I skidded to a halt and whipped around to face the pony again. I started panting from the strain of chasing her and I felt slow, agonizing thumps emanate from my ribs. I growled and charged forward once again, intending to end this now. I held my arms wide and bent forward the closer I came to her. This time I noticed that she didn't make an attempt to evade me, she just grinned even wider than before.


“Yay, hugs!” She hollered and charged against me as well. She...wait, hu-


“OOOMPH!” I felt the air being pressed out of my lungs because of the pony tackling me. An otherworldly pain rose from my ribcage. I opened my eyes and looked down at her as she... Hugged me? Her left cheek was pressed toward my chest and her forelegs were wrapped around me. I just laid still, not moving a single muscle. But after a while, I started struggling to escape from her grip. It didn't take long for me to free my left arm and I grabbed the pony by her neck and lifted her off me, I dropped her to the ground and she landed on her flank, only to bounce up to her hooves immediately... How was that even possible..? She was still smiling, though. “What do you want?” I growled and laid back down on the bed to soothe my aching ribs.


“Oh, I just came by to give you your invitation to the party I'm throwing! It's your Welcome-to-Equestria-please-don't-hurt-my-friends-party! It's gonna be a blast!” She grinned even wider than before. At least now I know why the princesses warned me of this pony... I facepalmed with both of my hands and dragged them down my face in a slow pace. I looked at the pink pony, who seemed to think that my behavior was hilarious. I cleared my throat.


“And why do you think that I would even consider attending a... party where I don't know anyone who is attending it, hm?” I crossed my arms over my chest in defiance. She pouted and walked closer to the bed and carefully slipped a small note onto it. I glanced down at it, then back at her. It looked almost like her eyes had doubled in size over the course of ten seconds.


“Because then you can make new friends at the party!” She chirped. “Just think of how fun that would be!” There was that huge smile again... Ugh, that pony will be the second death of me one day...


“I had friends, but many of them died by my side. And so far I have not made a good impression on many of the ponies, in case you haven't noticed. I am grateful that you would even consider throwing me a party, but I am not interested in attending it. Go and do something else, if you would...” I tilted the tricorne so it hid my face from the pink pony. I smirked as she was finally silent. I suddenly heard a noise with reminding me of gritting teeth. I cracked my left eye open to see something that actually frightened me.


Pinkie Pie's coat had become almost darker than it was mere seconds ago and she narrowed her eyes as she bounced up onto the bed and positioned herself to stand on top of me. She snorted a small cloud of smoke. “Alright, now you listen to me and listen good;” She growled “I am not happy about you threatening and almost killing one of my friends. And you even made Fluttershy cry. If you would even consider hurting one of my friends again, I will come for you.” She pressed her left forehoof to my chest. “And about this party...you will attend it, you will have some cake and you will enjoy yourself. Understood?”


I nodded vigorously. That pony can be frightening if she wants to... As soon as I nodded to her, she grinned and her normal color returned almost instantly. “Super! I'll ask somepony to get you around seven!” She gave me another quick hug, then bounced off the bed and through the open door, which she slammed closed.


...Well, that was probably one of the strangest things to ever happen to me. Note to self; never agitate the pony named Pinkie Pie ever again.


A few hours later, I heard the door unlock and open. I stood up and faced the door with my hands behind my back, standing at attention. Princess Celestia walked inside, followed by the same orange pony from the throne room. This time I got a better look at the pony. She was wearing a brown hat, and her blonde hair was tied back in... A ponytail... I shrugged and decided that I had encountered enough strange things during my time in this world than to point out that small detail. The pony was obviously trying to put on a strong face as to show me that she wasn't afraid of me. It wasn't very convincing... I cleared my throat.


“And why do I have the honor of speaking to the Princess today?” I said with a crooked smirk. Princess Celestia sighed and rolled her eyes in exasperation. Seems like she wasn't in the mood for any shenanigans now. Shame.


“I have a proposition for you, and that would include you getting out of the castle and even getting a job.” She said with authority. A job? Oh, I am sure that there is some kind of hitch... There always is one. “Applejack here, with some talking to, agreed that you could work at her farm as long as you obey her rules and do what it is she, or somepony from her family asks you to do. Royal Guards will come by from time to time and check up on you.” Ah, of course…there's the catch.


“So, you're saying that I'll basically become a slave and never earn my freedom?” I took a slow step forward and crossed my arms over my chest. The orange pony took a step back, but the princess held her ground.


“No, not a slave. Consider it as community service. By helping Applejack and the ponies in Ponyville, you will work off your sentence and in time become a free human once again.” Princess Celestia explained in a calm, soothing tone. “Tell us, what was your profession before you became a soldier in your king's name?”


“I was a farmer, like my father and my grandfather. It is a long time ago since I did any kind of work at a farm, though... I have been away from the farm for 9 years when I was enlisted 11 years ago. I hope that my son and wife have taken good care of it...” I sighed. Back in the field, the thought of bringing glory home, or just surviving to come home again was probably the best motivation I ever had...


“But...how old are you, then?” the princess asked with a crooked eyebrow. The other pony, Applejack was it? Well, she was looking at me with pity.


“I am 32 years of age, princess.” My mind drifted to the insane pink pony who had visited me earlier today. “What time is it?!” I asked frantically. The two ponies glanced at each other. The hatted pony spoke up at last.


“Um... It's 'round fahve... If'n yer wonderin' 'bout Pinkie's party, we managed tah talk her inta postponing it 'til eight as we're leaving fer Ponyville as soon as we're done 'ere.” She spoke with a peculiar accent. Well that's good, I suppose... The longer I manage to stay away from that pony, the better.


“We better get going to the chariots. The other Elements of Harmony are waiting by the chariots at this very moment. Come on” Princess Celestia walked out of the room, followed by Applejack. I shrugged, grabbed my hirschfängare and swung the strap onto my shoulder, following the ponies.


It was not a long walk to get to the chariots and as Princess Celestia had said, the supposed Elements of Harmony were already there. I marveled at the ornate golden chariots for a couple of seconds, until the princess nudged my back, making me snap out of the trance I was in. I didn't say a word to the ponies and climbed onto the chariot which was closer to me. Twilight Sparkle moved to the other chariot when I did that. A light-blue pegasus pony with a rainbow mane positioned her in front of my with a sneer.

The next pony to walk toward the chariot I was in was a white unicorn with a purple mane carrying an impressively big bag for such a small pony. The rainbow-maned pony rolled her eyes as the unicorn grunted from the strain. I sighed and stood up from the chariot and laid my blade on the floor of it, then walked over to the unicorn and lifted the bag off her, then walked back to the chariot carrying it. The unicorn just looked at me with wide eyes and a small smile. “Thank you, darling!” she said with a sigh as she sat down on the chariot. I just gave her a stiff nod.


I noticed the stares from the other ponies, even from the guards positioned to pull the chariot. I leaned back in my seat and tilted my tricorne over my head to block the sun's rays from my eyes. About a minute later, all of the ponies were in their seats and the chariots started rolling off, only to take to the sky. I grabbed the railing with my left hand and took off my hat with my right hand to keep it from flying away with the wind.


After a few minutes, the wind lessened in force and I perched the tricorne back onto my head with a deep sigh. I picked up my hirschfängare and drew it out from the sheath. I then continued to inspect the blade itself for any kind of damages. I noticed a small chip close to the handle and frowned. It wasn't big damage, but it could prove fatal if it would crack all the way through, splitting the blade. I wiped the blade once with a strip from my coat, then slid it back into the sheath. The ponies in the same chariot as me relaxed visibly as I placed it on the floor next to me once again.


“There's no reason to fear me. I may have proven you otherwise with my actions, but trust me, I will do what it takes for me to clear my name and make myself a free man. This... spell Princess Celestia cast on me informs her of my actions when she's not in my company.” I lifted my left hand, remembered what she had told me about focusing. My hand flashed a gold aura once and the ponies flinched.


A few minutes passed until the pegasus on board the chariot spoke up in a somewhat scratchy voice. “So... Soldier, huh?” I nodded absent minded. “Have you killed someone before?” The unicorn nudged her with a scowl and a harsh reprimand. I looked the pegasus straight in the eyes.


“More than once. War and killing was pretty much an everyday activity for me back then...” I looked away from her and ahead of the chariot to see where we were heading. I saw a small town in the distant. I concluded that the town I saw must be Ponyville. I then looked over to the other chariot where I saw Twilight Sparkle staring at me with a frown. My eyes widened as I saw my musket being next to her, along with the pouch with the ammunition.


“Cool...” The pegasus finally spoke up. I looked at her in disbelief.


“War is not something... Cool. No one, pony or not, should ever be forced to live through the horror that is war. I have seen many things during my service which would make a human or a pony who is not hardened wretch at the sight...” The pegasus gulped as I looked her straight in the eyes. “Imagine that you are running through a barren wasteland that once was a living and healthy field. The only thing you can hear is the deafening cracks of muskets firing in barrages and screams of fear and pain. Out of nowhere, an enemy soldier is charging against you and you have no other option but to face him head-on. You are lucky to be alive, but then a deafening explosion pushes you onto your back. Grenadiers.” Both of the ponies were listening intently.


“Of what once were your brothers in arms, now all you see is gore and blood-stained clothes. You feel no emotion, as you know your brethren have found peace. There is no time to grieve, because then you're an easy target. All you can do is keep on charging, hoping that you're not the next target of the grenadiers.” I clenched my fists and they started shaking. “All... All you want to do is see your loved ones one more time before succumbing... But fate has other plans for you... You feel a bullet hit you as you charge. You can't do anything else but collapse as your life is being drained away from you. Instead of seeing clear-blue skies above you, you...you see nothing but smoke from muskets, cannons and fires. There is no lullaby rocking you calmly to sleep, only an endless racket from the battle... Then there's nothing more. You're done, finished.” I felt a tear trickle down my cheek.


“But the best thing is that when you expect to finally be able to rest from the hell which was your life for years, Death has other plans for you and sends you to some strange world where talking ponies reside! He also tells you that what you were fighting and killing for years was nothing but a carefully fabricated lie!” I shouted and I was breathing heavily now. “But... But then you know that you will never be able to see your family again... Never to see your son grow up and become a man...” I sighed and ran my right hand through my hair while sighing. “War makes a man into a monster...” I said as I stepped down from the chariot, which had landed in a small town.


The ponies in the other chariot must have overheard me, as they were looking at me in pity. I growled and followed Applejack, as I was supposed to stay at her farm. “Gustafv!” I turned around to see Twilight Sparkle taking a step forward, levitating my equipment next to her. She levitated it over to me. I swung the pouch over my back and inspected the musket. I noticed that they had ground down the flint so it was pretty much useless now. Clever... I nodded to her and she nodded back. I continued following Applejack to the farm, stroking my hand along the barrel of the musket in slow movements.


A few hours had passed, and now Applejack and I were heading back into town to go to the party Pinkie Pie had...suggested that I attend. Applejack's farm had, to my exaggerated shock and awe, been an apple orchard. She had claimed that they were the best apples in Equestria. I had just chuckled at her remark, which had earned me a silent treatment which lasted until we had reached the farmhouse.


I had been introduced to her family and the first pony I met was a gigantic red stallion, who I later got to know as Applejack's brother, Big Macintosh. When we were inside the house, a young foal ran up to her and greeted her. The foal just looked at me with big, curious eyes. But before a barrage of questions could be laid down upon me; Applejack made her younger sister find her brother. The last pony in the household I met was an old, fragile mare.


I was actually glad that I didn't frighten the old lady with my presence. After that, the orange pony had showed me to their guest room where I would stay. I had placed the now useless musket, along with the pouch of ammunition and my blade in a closet. The town had a peaceful air to it, so I doubted that my equipment would come to any use.


After a quick dinner which consisted of apples, apples and a bit more apples, we were now walking back to town in silence, until Applejack decided to break the silence. “Yer awfully quiet...” A brilliant observation...


“I don't talk unless I have reason to talk. I think more than talk, so I can be prepared to evaluate a situation before it escalates into a disaster.” I answered as we passed the first building to the town. Applejack nodded at my answer and smirked.


“Then yer like mah brother. He doesn't talk very much, but that noggin' o' his is useful when we're buckin' apples in th' orchard. He knows them fancy mathematics to know how to divide the segments of th' orchard for us tah work in.” She smiled and pointed her right hoof to a strange building on the end of the street. “There's th' Sugarcube Corner.” She trotted a little faster.


The entire building looked like a giant pastry, but when I thought that Pinkie Pie lived there, the idea of living in a huge gingerbread house didn't seem very strange anymore. I followed Applejack through the open door, bracing myself for the inevitable stares and whispers I would have to endure.


The party wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. There were of course some staring and whispers, but after Pinkie Pie announced who I was and reassured them that I wouldn't do anything to them, the atmosphere inside the bakery lightened immediately. There were of course some curious ponies, but one of them dared to ask me a question, many of the other ponies joined the others and asked me a few questions each.


When they asked where I was from and how it was there, I didn't share the more gruesome details about my past to them. I just said that it wasn't very peaceful there... I wasn't lying, after all. We also decided to leave out the detail about me assaulting Twilight Sparkle, as I definitely did not feel like running away from a mob at this hour.


The party was over, and most of the ponies had went home. Only me and the Elements of Harmony remained in the building, cleaning up the mess the party had made. After that, Applejack and I excused ourselves and walked back to the farm. We talked a little on the way back but stayed mostly quiet. When we reached the farmhouse, I walked immediately to my room and collapsed onto the bed. I knew that working on this farm would be exhausting from older experiences from farming. I lifted my trustworthy tricorne of my head and hung it to one of the bedposts.


At that moment, I did something I hadn't done for quite a while; I fell asleep with a smile.