• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 3,984 Views, 171 Comments

Carolean - Symphony



A carolean soldier in Equestria

  • ...
13
 171
 3,984

Small Fat Horses

In my own world when I was in the field, we were always told not to fear anything because in God’s grace, there was no fear. We were trained to not fear anything. Fear just gave us weaknesses and ways for the enemies to get to us more easily. I never feared anything back where I came from. But when I see this beast running towards me?


I’m terrified.


The demon roared again as it came closer towards me. I ran to the treeline, drawing it away from the yellow winged horse. My heart feels like its about to burst through my chest at any moment and the fear is almost paralyzing. The hellspawn is big, but it is not very fast, so I managed to get a small advantage in the distance between myself and it. I raised my musket, unsure where to aim at the blasted monstrosity. I decided to make it blind. I raised my aim towards the beast’s eyes. It was not far away from me. Drool was flowing in an unstoppable stream from the beast’s wicked mouth. I took a deep breath and fired, the smoke of the blackpowder shielding my sight. I could hear the blood-curdling howl of agony coming from the beast.


I dart away after firing, moving away from the position where the beast had last seen me. A dark, menacing growl comes from the beast, making me shiver in fear. I curse silently as I see the beast shake its head clear from the haze my bullet caused it. If it was angry before, it had to be more than furious right now.


The horse-creature stares at me in wonder, mixed with what I presume to be fear. The poor thing must be scared out of its mind. The demon’s right eye is shut, blood is pouring down its face. The demon is breathing heavily. It’s not growling anymore, just looking at me with pure hatred. It starts grinding its left paw while snorting a puff of cloud through its nostrils.


I know that I don’t have the time to reload the musket, so I reluctantly swing it over my shoulders and draw my hirschfängare out of its sheath. The once dirty and matted blade is now reflecting every single ray of light shining down onto it. The bright shine of the blade and the polished golden details of the sword make it look brand new. I stop inspecting the pristine blade and slash it through the air once, accepting the hellspawn’s challenge. The beast roars once and dashes towards me once again. This time, my fear doesn’t get the best out of me and make me look like a fool. No, I charge towards it, grinning like a madman.


The beast starts drooling again and narrows its eyes at me in determination. I allow my arm holding the sword to drop, leaving a small trail in the dirt behind me. I grit my teeth and raise my arm holding the sword and lift my other arm in front of me, holding it like it could provide some protection, when it will probably snap immediately because of the beast’s strength. The monster raises its left paw and strikes it towards me. I duck down low and slide just beneath its giant hand, slashing its arm in the progress. Another pained howl escapes the half-blind monster. It starts thrashing its arms in a blind rage.


I desperately try to escape the crazed monster’s thrashing but to my dumb luck, the beast manages to strike me and sending me flying for a good six meters or so. I grunt in pain and tries to inhale just to feel a sharp, paralyzing pain from my right side where the demon struck me. Great, broken ribs... I groan in agony. This hurts like a bitch. It feels like my lungs and entire right side is on fire while slowly tearing apart at the same time.


The horse-creature gasps loudly at my loss against the beast and starts sobbing. This makes me open my eyes completely and take a deep, relaxed breath. It still hurts though. I stand up slowly, holding my left hand on the damaged ribs. I take another deep breath, but this time through my nostrils. I knew that I had to end this now, before I would get hurt more, or even killed. The beast starts grinding its left paw on the ground again. It just won’t give up, but neither will I.


The monster roars again and charges towards me. I had no idea what I could do to stop the huge beast. Out of pure instinct, I raise my arm holding the sword and throw it.


To my own amazement, the sword flies in a perfect arc right into the demon’s good eye, blinding it completely. The beast howls in agony once again, but the howl degrades into a soft whining as it realises that its completely blind now. The beast staggers around, taking a few very unstable steps while occasionally yelping. The demon gingerly raises its left paw and pull out the blade while whining. It drops the sword with a clang resounding through the entire grove. It turns around and walks toward the treeline, trusting its enhanced senses to lead it correctly without colliding with anything. I take a few cautious steps forward, ready to act if the demon decides to turn around and finish the job it started. When I was sure that it wasn’t coming back, I bent down and picked up my sword. I wiped off the blood and slid it into its sheath.


I turn towards the horse, or whatever it is, and took a step closer. It shrinks back with every step I take. It must be terrified of me when it just witnessed me fighting off a beast more than two times larger than me. I kneel down five meters in front if it, holding out my left hand as an invitation. It stares at my hand in confusion, then at its hoof and back on my hand. It squeaks in surprise as I move my hand closer.


’‘Fluttershy!’’ I hear a voice shout in some strange accent I’ve never heard before. The creature’s head turn to where the shout was heard and smiles. I stand up abruptly, momentarily forgetting my injured ribs. I involuntarily yelp in pain, making the horse stare at me with pity. I take a deep breath and jogs off back into the forest. I don’t feel like meeting the one who shouted, as I don’t know if it’s hostile or not. I run a few meters into the thick shrubbery surrounding the grove.


’‘There you are, Fluttershy!’’ The voice who shouted is now in the grove, presumably next to this... Fluttershy. I peek out through a bush to see another horse-thing but this one is a bright purple, lavender if I am not mistaking. It has rich, deep purple hair cur straight. What amazes me beyond belief is that its... talking...


’’We were so worried about you! We heard a roar coming from out here and expected the worse! Everypony was looking for you!’’ Wait... ponies? Is that what they are? Small, fat, shrunken horses? They don’t even look like ponies! This is ridiculous! The lavender ...pony swipes the yellow one into what I guess is a hug. ’‘You have to tell me what happened out here!’’


’‘Umm... i-if you s-say so...’’ The yellow pony stammered. So, I just saved a brightly-coloured winged pony who can talk, from a demon? Yes, I do think that I have gone insane and then some. ’’I was just here in t-the grove... Helping my animal f-friends, when a manticore came here.’’ Manticore? Is that what they call the demon? Oh well, doesn’t change the fact that I have probably lost my marbles.


’’It was about to eat me when this... this thing...’’ Did that pony just call me a thing? To hell with all of this. I am going to be found out and be brought to a sanitarium sooner or later, so I will go in style. I reload my musket, cock it and rest it on my shoulder while walking out from the bush into the grove again.


’’I would appreciate it if you would not refer to me as a thing, pony...’’ I said, venom dripping from my words. The ponies turn to me, wide-eyed. The lavender pony’s jaw drops completely. The yellow one just looks at me, surprised at my reappearance.


’‘Who... How.... What-.. What are you?’’ The lavender pony is flabbergasted, she has obviously never seen the likes of me before.


’’I am a human.’’ I stretch my back. The small ponies can barely reach my waist.


The two ponies glance at eachother in confusion. The yellow pony shrugs with its wings. The lavender pony, who I just noticed to have a horn rolled her eyes.


’‘Well, ...human-’’


’‘Gustafv.’’ I interrupted the lavender pony, who just glared at me.


’‘Whatever. I just want to know; What are you doing in Equestria?’’ The horned pony took a defensive stance in front of me, ready to defend her friend.


’‘Do you really think you can defeat a Carolean?’’ I ask after staring at the lavender pony for a couple of seconds. I grab my musket with both of my hands, wrapping my left hand over the barrel. The winged pony yelps and hides behind her friend.


’‘Carolean..?’’ The lavender pony asks, dumbfounded.


’‘You mean you do not know who the Caroleans are?’’ What kind of sentient race doesn’t know of the Caro- Oh wait, ponies... The ponies shake their heads in unison. I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose.


’‘Never heard of them.’’ The horned pony states.


’‘Well then. Seems like I have to teach you two about the history of war where I come from.’’ I lift my tricorne hat off my head, momentarily using it as a fan. The lavender pony grins in such a manner that I don’t know if its possible or not as soon as I mention teaching. The yellow pony winced as I mentioned war.


Great, I didn’t just go insane, I had to go insane in a world inhabited by talking ponies. Death is probably pointing at me while laughing right now. Just great.



A/N: Well, second chapter already out! Pre-read and edited by frieD195!