• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 1,140 Views, 3 Comments

A Special Hearth's Warming Eve - Diamond_Emblem



Twilight and Spike travel to Canterlot for Hearth's Warming Eve with Twilight's family and sister-in-law. But will the weather and problems prevent them from going?

  • ...
0
 3
 1,140

Chapter 8: Believe

Twilight Velvet waited impatiently for news of her letter. She had requested to be told when Twilight Sparkle had gotten her letter. Yet, late at night on December 7th, it seemed like the weather and holidays were taking a toll on the delivery.

Velver sighed. She paced her bedroom floor as she waited for news. She had passed the time by setting up twilight's bookshelf, Spike's bed, and repainting. Velvet replaced Twilight's sheets and covers and planted a new tree. Without magic, it had taken roughly two hours of sweat and hoof grease.

Night Light entered the room. "Still waiting?" he asked, heading to bed.

"I don't believe I've ever been this impatient for something," Velvet confessed.

"Except that time when we were waiting to hear from the Royal Guard to see if Shiny had been accepted," Night Light corrected. "You couldn't hold still for five seconds."

Velvet chuckled nervously. "I suppose," she said.

Night Light rested on the bed. "Are you going to stay up all night just to wait for news to arrive?" he asked.

"At this point, I think I've given up hope," Velvet sighed.

"I don't think the Canterlot Mail Service closes until 10," Night Light said aloud.

"I'm not talking about the letter," Velvet explained, "I'm talking about Hearth's Warming with our family all together."

Night Light stared at her. "Honey, you can't say that," he said in disbelief. "We just have to hold out a little longer and hope Twily gets the letter in time."

"Night, it's slim that the entire family will be home for Hearth's Warming Eve," Velvet said. "The Friendship Express is closing in less than 72 hours. The weather has not gotten any more predictable or better." She finally stopped trotting. She sat down on the floor and her ears flopped down.

Velvet sighed. "I was looking forward to seeing my entire family together," she whispered. "Twilight's so wise and she's become older. Shining is living miles away with his new family. He has a wonderful princess for a wife, and now he's expecting my first grandchild. Spike, the little thing, has grown up, too." Velvet closed her eyes. Tears fell down her face. "I just wanted to see my family all happy and together. Is that so hard to ask from a mother?"

Night Light got off the bed and nuzzled Velvet's mane. "You know what I think?" he asked. "I think we should visit Princess Luna."

***

The guards let them in. They traveled to the tallest tower of Canterlot Castle. Princess Luna was viewing the sky. She wore a cerulean blue scarf and dark blue boots.

She turned as she heard hoofsteps approaching. "Ah, Night Light, Twilight Velvet. It's a lovely evening, don't you think?"

"It's cold," was all Velvet said.

Princess Luna raised an eyebrow. "The mother of a princess of Equestria has never acted this depressed," she said. "Tell me, child, what has happened?"

"My wife doesn't think our family will be able to spend Hearth's Warming Eve together," Night Light explained. "She's given up hope that it will all turn out alright."

Luna gave Velvet a sincere expression. "Velvet, my dear, you have no idea what the future has in store," she said. "No pony knows what will happen tomorrow. Equestria could be at war. There could be a new princess. Equestria could be renamed. We just don't know. But not knowing shouldn't cloud your judgement of belief. Believing is one of the few things that can still be held onto even in the darkest times. You remember when Tirek invaded Equestria? Tia, Cadence, and I thought we wouldn't make it. But we still had our hope in one princess:" Luna placed a hoof on Velvet's heart. "Your daughter, Twilight Sparkle. We transferred our magic to her because we believed she could be able to save Equestria. Even when we were thrown into Tartarus, the three of us still believed in Twilight Sparkle. And in the end, the Elements of Harmony prevailed once again. A shutdown train company and bad weather don't seem like much to the average pony. But you, Twilight Velvet, wish for your family together on Hearth's Warming Eve. This is worse than any evil Twilight Sparkle has ever faced in your eyes. Family is a strong and powerful thing. I understand. Celestia and I are even closer than we were before. But you have to believe that family will prevail through this crisis. All you have to do is hold onto that light in the darkness, and maybe, just maybe, your family will be together. Just believe, Twilight Velvet."

With Luna's words, the stars in the sky seemed to twinkle a little brighter. Twilight Velvet looked up. A star shined brighter than the others. It looked like Twilight's cutie mark.

"Do you see that, Velvet?" Luna asked. "That is your family's star now. It forever will be. And until that star goes out, your family will always find each other and be together."

Twilight Velvet smiled. "I hear you, Princess Luna," she said. "My beliefs have strengthed with your wisdom."

Luna smiled. "I'm glad my words have helped you back on your path," she said. "Now I suggest going back home. It's getting a bit chillier. And I suspect you're both exhausted."

Night Light yawned in agreement. Velvet and Luna laughed.

"Thank you, Princess Luna," Velvet said. Night Light and she kneeled and trotted on their way back home.

"See, now look who's got all their enthusiasm back?" Night Light joked.

Velvet rolled her eyes. "I don't have the strength to deal with your jokes," she said.

"It's been a long night, huh?" Night said.

"I suspect we'll have even longer ones," Velvet said, staring at her family's star.