• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 1,140 Views, 3 Comments

A Special Hearth's Warming Eve - Diamond_Emblem



Twilight and Spike travel to Canterlot for Hearth's Warming Eve with Twilight's family and sister-in-law. But will the weather and problems prevent them from going?

  • ...
0
 3
 1,140

Chapter 6: Of the Royal Crystal Family and of Magic

Twilight Velvet woke up the next day to find her husband already out of bed. She smelt pancakes cooking with a scent of cinnamon. Velvet suspected her husband was attempting to cook again.

She groggily left her bed and headed downstairs to the front door. She saw a few envelopes, which meant the mail pony was still dropping by.

As usual, there were a few business bills and a newspaper that had an interesting title. Velvet saw a shining purple envelope with a stamp of the crystal empire.

She excitedly opened the envelope. The letter inside read:

Dear Twilight Velvet,

Hi! This is Cadence. Shining Armor is busy with training for the Crystal Guards. So I'm writing to you instead! We've heard news about the weather. Are you alright? Is Twilight OK? Please make sure she is. But due to this weather, I'm afriad we're going to arrive to Canterlot on the 15th of December. We would be arriving sooner but we're going to see how the weather winds up here just in case. I need to leave the Crystal Empire in its best condition while we're away and a state of emergency might be needed. Another letter will be sent when we're about to leave.

From the Crystal Empire,

Princess Cadence

Twilight Velvet unhappily lowered the letter. She was hoping for some good news after the day before, but it looked like things were just getting worse.

She trotted to the Hearth's Warminbg tree. It was still bare and boring, but there were four presents underneath the tree. One was rectangular-shaped with blue wrapping paper and a pink bow. Twilight's gift was her old Hearth's Warming Eve book. Night Light managed to wrap it last night. Meanwhile, a small cube was decorated with cradles and strollers. Cadence's baby was going to be spoiled with new clothing. Another was a necklace for Cadence, and the last one was a gemstone wrist cuff, made out of several gems. Hopefully Spike wouldn't eat it once he got it.

If he's going to get it. Velvet sighed. She trotted into the kitchen and found her husband laughing with Princess Luna.

"Celestia wouldn't dare care outside because she knew I would assault her with snowballs!" Luna giggled.

Night Light laughed. "That's one advantage of being younger!" he said.

"Princess Luna," Twilight Velvet said, kneeling.

Night Light coughed. Princess Luna sat up straight. "Velvet, I came to visit your abode to make sure you were OK," she explained. "After yesterday it must have beem a strange day."

"It'll get stranger, I'm sure," Twilight Velvet said.

"Do you know if Twilight Sparkle is guranteed to arrive to Canterlot before Hearth's Warming Eve?" Luna asked.

"No, unfortunately not," Velvet replied. "The weather and the Friendship Express are some challenges she has to get over in order to get here."

"I see." Luna stared into the outside sunny sky. "Princess Celestia and I need Twilight to find a way to control the weather again or at least make sure no pony is in danger of getting hurt in the wacky weather."

"I'm sure Twilight's already working to find a solution," Twilight Velvet said.

"Excellent." Princess Luna rose. "I must get going. At night, the weather is much more colder, and I must prepare Canterlotians for the chill. Update me as soon as you hear word from Twilight Sparkle." In a midnight blue flash, Princess Luna teleported out of the kitchen.

"So, dear, want some pancakes?" Night Light asked.

"If I were in the mood," Velvet replied. "Shining Armor and Cadence might not arrive because of the weather. I'm already tired of this weather nonsense."

"So am I," Night Light said in agreement. "But we're just going to have to bear with it."

Twilight Velvet sighed. "If only there were someway for this all to be fixed in one way," she said.

"Maybe the princesses could all work together," Night Light said.

"And Shining could help, too." Velvet levitated a plate. "But if Cadence helped,l something might happen to her baby. I don't want anything to happen to my first granddaughter!"

"What if it's a colt?" Night Light asked.

"I have high hopes," Twilight Velvet said. "Perhaps Discord could help with all this chaos."

Night Light chuckled. "Now I think we're starting to sound like Shiny and Twilly when they were just fillies," he said.

Velvet smiled, putting pancakes on her plate. "I think all we have to do is hope and believe our children will come home for Hearth's Warming Eve, no matter what obstacle stands in our way."

Her husband smiled. "Now I see where Shiny gets his daily motivation," he said.

"Not all the time am I like this," Velvet reminded him, sitting down.

"Which is why I must enjoy these moments while I can," Night Light explained.

Twilight Velvet ate her pancakes. She needed to buy more food when Cadence and Shining came-----

It was hard to remember there was a chance they wouldn't arrive. Twilight Velvet sighed. She finished her pancakes and looked for a stationary to write on. After finding one in a guest bedroom, Twilight Velvet began to write a letter to Cadence. Afterwards, she quickly wrote an idea to Twilight on how to fix everything. It was going to be a long shot, but Twilly had to try.

Velvet was about to mail her letters via magic, but suddenly she couldn't seem to use her magic. She tried harder, but her horn wouldn't budge. Something was blocking her magic.

She rushed downstair, grabbing a scarf and some boots, and entered the kitchen.

"My magic!" she gasped to Night Light. "I-I can't use it anymore!"

"Grab the keys," Night Light said, putting on his hat.

The couple galloped towards Canterlot Castle. "Do you think Princess Luna would've told us if something was happening?" Velvet asked Night Light.

"If Luna didn't tell us, she must have had no clue," Night Light reasoned.

They arrived to a huge crowd of Canterlotians waiting outside Canterlot Castle.

Velvet could hear whispers: "My magic won't work." "Something's blocking my magic." "What's happening?"

Suddenly trumpets were sounding and Princess Celestia appeared at the balcony. Everypony kneeled in her prescence.

"Ponies of Canterlot," Celestia said in her Royal voice. "You might have noticed that your magic isn't working. It's been realized that magic is affecting the weather. Magic is confusing the weather patterns because so far, it seems to have a mind of its own. So until further notice, magic in Canterlot shall be forbidden."

"So, do you think the situation's bad enough?" Night Light asked.

"It's beyond bad," Velvet said.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy with school!