• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 1,140 Views, 3 Comments

A Special Hearth's Warming Eve - Diamond_Emblem



Twilight and Spike travel to Canterlot for Hearth's Warming Eve with Twilight's family and sister-in-law. But will the weather and problems prevent them from going?

  • ...
0
 3
 1,140

Chapter 4: Prince Blueblood Comes to the Rescue...Sort of?

Velvet teleported off the street into the nearest building, Donut Joe's Donut Shop. Ponies stared in wonder and confusion at the hailing weather. Donut Joe was trying to keep up with orders in the meanwhile.

"Does any pony know what's going on?" Velvet asked. "Any pegasus know?"

"I'm off weather duty today," said Spitfire, captain of the Wonderbolts. "Though to be honest, I don't think Canterlot has seen hail for years."

Velvet stared outside. She couldn't remember when it had last hailed in Canterlot, either.

"Maybe Princess Celestia or Princess Luna know what's going on," suggested Twinkleshine, an old friend of Velvet's daughter. Lemon Hearts, next to her, nodded in agreement.

Just then, a familiar looking stallion rushed into the donut shop: Prince Blueblood. "Auntie Tia suggested I make sure every pony is alright," he said. He scrunched his muzzle at the sight of the donuts. "But she didn't tell me I'd have to be near revolting fattening junk."

"Hey! I make a good living on selling these donuts!" Donut Joe argued.

"Prince Blueblood?" Velvet asked. "How did you get through all that sleet?"

Blueblood rolled his eyes. "Celestia teleported me outside. But for her sake, she should've given me a proper warning." He glanced at Velvet. "I daresay, I think I remember you."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Velvet hastily denied. "But how do you suggest we get home safely?"

Prince Blueblood trotted up to the window. "Princess Celestia's castle can be some sort of haven until the hail clears. But it's a good two minutes away by hoof. Which means there needs to be a barrier for every pony to be safe as we gallop to the castle."

Twilight Velvet glanced at Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts, and Blueblood. "I think we can manage that," she said.

In minutes, all the ponies were in a close crowd. Velvet, Twinkleshine, and Lemon Hearts readied their magic. Velvet saw Blueblood at the back of the crowd.

"Prince Blueblood, aren't you supposed to help us with the barrier?" Velvet asked.

He faced the other way. "My delicate horn is not capable of that kind of magic," he said. "Besides, I've never tried to do such shenanigans."

"Look, Blueblood, these ponies have no idea what's going on," Velvet snarled. "They need to get to safety, and we need your help to ensure that. Just concentrate on protecting these ponies. Imagine a barrier protecting them. Forge that into your horn. Concentrate."

"I will not be commanded by a commoner!" Blueblood said.

"My daughter is a princess of Equestria, so you will listen because you are a prince and you have to help the people of your realm!" Velvet yelled. "Now do it!"

Blueblood winced back and a spark flew from his horn. His horn started to glow with a light blue aura. A barrier started to form.

Velvet went back to the front of the pack and said, "Now! We leave now!"

She galloped out of the shop and immediately activated a barrier. Twinkleshine and Lemon Hearts followed her lead as the crowd of ponies rushed out of the donut shop. Hail bounced off the barrier. Velvet made sure the ponies were close behind. She looked back and saw Prince Blueblood staggering behind. Luckily, the castle wasn't far off.

They barely managed to reach the front gates when Blueblood collapsed from exhaustion. Velvet hurriedly said to the guards, "These ponies need to take refuge! Prince Blueblood is with us and he needs help!"

The guards immediately swung open the doors. The barriers fell as the ponies rushed in. Velvet teleported Blueblood into the castle and let the guards help him.

"I don't think we could have gotten these ponies to safety without Prince Blueblood," Lemon Hearts admitted.

Velvet sighed. Her horn hurt very much. "I don't think so either," she confessed. "Now let's go see Princess Celestia."

She guided the ponies to the throne room, through twists and turns and staircases. Velvet swung open the door. Princess Celestia was nowhere to be seen, but Princess Luna was napping on a throne next to Princess Celestia's.

"Princess Luna?" Twilight Velvet called out.

The princess of the night blinked. She stretched her wings and yawned. "Twilight Velvet, it has been some time," Princess Luna said. "How is Twilight Sparkle?"

Velvet beamed. "Coming home for Hearth's Warming," she said. "But that's not why we're here. You see, the weather is not at all what anypony expected it to be."

"How unusual," Luna said. "I shall have one of the Royal Guards investigate this immediately."

"So you don't know what's going on either, Princess Luna?" Twinkleshine asked.

Luna shook her head. "Unfortunately not," she explained. "Though hopefully, we shall receive word of the situation soon."

"What do we do with everypony?" asked Lemon Hearts.

Luna thought for a moment. "They should be given proper warmth and care. Guide them to the Banquet Hall."

Everypony kneeled and left. Velvet led the way while making sure they stuck together. She saw Royal Guards a few times, reminding her of Shining Armor. Her heart sank a little.

Your children will get here in time for Hearth's Warming, Velvet reassured herself.

"Ahem."

Velvet stopped. Prince Blueblood was in a royal blue robe and his ears were sagging.

"Thank you for saving us Prince Blueblood!" thanked one mare.

"Yeah! You did awesomely!" said a stallion.

Prince Blueblood blinked. "They're thanking me," he whispered to Velvet.

She smiled. "You deserve the thanks," she said.

Blueblood chuckled. "Now I know who you are. Princess Twilight and Prince Shining Armor's mother, Twilight Velvet. You know, you look a lot like your daughter. She reminds me of a...a mare I met." He trotted away and Velvet once again led the way to the Banquet Hall.