• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 1,148 Views, 45 Comments

Once there was morning... - EbonyDanger



Twilight got captured in her attempt to flee Nightmare Moon. Can she and Spike get back to the map? Will Nightmare Moon notice? And can Captain Rainbow Dash and Mademoiselle Rarity help them?

  • ...
6
 45
 1,148

Servants all alone

So, that was the last one. Pleased, Rarity released the carpet from her magical grip and let it fall elegantly down the wall. It depicted Nightmare Moon's chest, head and wings. She was embracing the moon with them. Behind her the circle of her moon could be seen. From a dead eye to a bright, white orb.

Rarity was very pleased with how everything had turned out. These new designs made the castle look as beautiful as usual. The Castle of the Two Sisters, now more commonly known as the Castle of Shadows, depicted the power and glory of Nightmare Moon and her night. It was unshakeable like the mare, who was ruling Equestria with laws so cruel that most bandits preferred being goodie two-shoes then robbing anything at all.

And yet this Waking Period had been pretty eventful. Rarity still remembered her surprise as this purple unicorn with wings appeared and called her by her name. The mistress had taken a high interest in that time travel thing. If it was true and not the ridiculous fantasy of a tourist. Prancing the Princess was something one should avoid.

“Had a long Period, eh?” The jingle of metal shoes. Rarity turned her head. She was wearing her uniform. A purple vest, which almost covered her cyan blouse. A few indigo pearls were sticked into it. Her purple mane was knotted properly just like her tail. She only wore horse slippers on her front hooves unlike the Pegasus in front of here, who wear guard shoes.

The Pegasus wore her purple helmet, which had the characteristic eagle head appearance. A blue, dragon like eye was encased in her chest plate. The armor covered her chest and flanks and even her tail was purple. Only the legs and neck showed bits of cyan fur.

“Greetings, Captain Dash”, said Rarity and signified a bow.

“Please, Rarity”, responded Rainbow Dash and pulled off her helmet, revealing her short, colorful mane and the ruby eyes. She placed the helmet on the floor and laid a hoof on it. “You know, you do not have to be so formal, when we are alone. Or would you prepare it if I called you Mademoiselle Rarity?”

Her nose wrinkled as she laughed. “No, that is unnecessary.” Rarity sighted. “Yes, my Period was eventful, but yours seemed even more”, she responded, “It had been eventful this night. I have seen the mistress' face, when she asked me to bring her her afternoon tea. She looked like she wanted to tear me apart.” Putting her ears back, Rarity demanded to know: “Rainbow, what happened there?”

Rainbow snorted angrily and knocked on her helmet, while she gave her answer: “That winged unicorn, Twilight Twinkle or however she is called, tried to trick the Princess. You see, we went deep into the forest and found this awkward, crystallized table. I guess some kind of map were on it too, however I stood in the background, guarding this dragon, so I cannot say for sure.

Well, Twilight decided to play heroine and held some sort of fancy mini-speech, in which she said, she and her friends found the Elements in her world and defeated the Princess.” Rainbow shook her head and grumbled: “Complete bullshit, if you ask me. We all know that the Elements of Harmony are nothing more then folklore.”

Rarity blinked thoughtfully. “Maybe not in her world”, she whispered and waved a hoof, “But go on.”

“Okay”, responded Rainbow Dash and gazed upwards, “Where was I? Oh, right. That Twilight caught our mistress off guard and used her confusion to first free the dragon and then teleport herself on the table. Then she tried to use some fancy spell, but before she could do it, Princess Moon hit her with a beam straight in the chest.

Both—dragon and winged unicorn—got flung from that table. I snatched Twilight at her wing before she could get up.” Rainbow Dash sounded proud and closed her eyes for a brief time, before she continued: “Well, Nightmare Moon ordered us to get back to the castle. There we locked Twilight Twinkle in one of the dungeon cells and brought the dragon in the chamber in the tower.”

Rarity's face changed from cool to partly disgusted and pitiful. “Ewww, it will probably have its fun there, don't you think? That dragon cub won't stand a chance.” Rainbow scratched her helmet and responded: “Only if Twilight does not negotiate. That has been the mistress' order.”

Rarity nodded. “And did she negotiate?”

Rainbow blew out some air. Scratching her ear, she mumbled: “Doubt that she will. That pony talked with me, before the mistress came. Can you believe it? She bragged about the sun!”

Rarity gasped. Doesn't she know the law?! Nopony ever mentioned the sun again, the last one that had done so now wore a skin of stone. Just as nopony dared to mention the lost Princess, the reason this castle used to be called Castle of the two Sisters. Now it only served one sister as her home. And that Alicorn pretends like she has no sister.

Rarity shook her head. “That is crazy”, she called, “That Twilight Twinkle does not know what she is doing.”

“My words”, growled Rainbow Dash, “Seriously I've heard that she has not really treated Nightmare Moon with respect either. If she is as cheeky as her dragon friend, she could get her tongue cut out or worse.”

Rainbow took her helmet and placed it back on her head. “That pony is living in a fairy-tale world”, she grumbled, “But this is the reality here. The sooner she wakes up the better.” Rarity nodded. She shivered. This pony really was brave. Or extremely foolish. Perhaps both.

“Did you come here because of a reason?”, asked the unicorn mare.

The Pegasus nodded. “Yes”, she responded. “The mistress told me, if Twilight does not negotiate, you should bring it into the dragon's cell.”

Rarity bite her lips. “Why do I have to do it?”, she asked whining and angrily, “Can't someone of the guards do it?”

Rainbow softly laid a hoof on her shoulder. “You know, that it follows you more. It will allow you to catch it. You are the only pony after the mistress that has accomplished this.” Rarity curled her lips. And I sometimes wish I had not done it. I am a supervisor! And not a... hunter or whatever.

Rainbow Dash smiled at her and looked at the clock. “Well”, the Captain said, “If you do not mind, I better go to the Guard's chambers. The Sleeping Period starts soon and tomorrow I have to supervise the mine. You better bring it into the dragon's cell, before you take your rest as well. Good night, Rarity.”

She touched her friend's nose as the Pegasus went past her. “Good night, Rainbow Dash.”

***

The basket was white as bone and swung in her maw as Rarity climbed up the stairs. In its slits purplish black fog twisted and twitched. It sometimes tried to slip out of them, but whenever Rarity made a soft purring sound the thing remained in the box. It was strange that it reacted to her. After all it was Nightmare Moon's pet and still it felt attached to Rarity as well.

Sometimes I wish it didn't. Sighting, Rarity climbed up the stairs to Spike's chamber. His cell was located in a small, blackish tower which was standing almost isolated on the other side of the castle. Most visitors did not really know what was happening to prisoners in the tower but many tales had been woven around it. From unspeakable torture, to wolves, that eat you alive, to experiments. Nothing could be farer from the truth.

The stair case wiggled itself around the core of the tower and ended at a large, iron door. Rarity carefully dropped the basket. Its convict hissed impatiently, sensing its prey behind the door. Well, let's get this over with. The keys jingled as Rarity took them out of her pocket. Being the supervisor of the castle she had keys to almost every room in the castle. Even this one.

Jabbing the key in the rusty lock, Rarity forced the door open. It moaned as she pushed herself against it with the basket in her maw. A little bit of light was shed in the room. There was only a small barred window on the opposite wall and a gully for the waste water to run away. The air stank from the buckets, filled with the waste. Rarity wrinkled her nose once more.

The dragon was sitting on the bench next to the door. He looked up and his face brightened. “Rarity!”, Spike called. He still seemed to be happy to see her, despite the fact that she had shown clear disgust towards him. Spike climbed from the bench and walked towards her. “Do you bring me my dinner?”, he asked hopefully.

Rarity sighted. If it had been just that. Her ears twitched as she placed the basket on the floor. Without responding to his question, the unicorn mare unlocked its tiny door. Purple mist floated out of it and began to grow. Rarity quickly stepped backwards, out of the cell. She slammed the door and yet as the loud bang trailed off the scream of terror and fear cut through the air like a dagger of sound.

I am sorry, small one. But orders are orders. Her face was dull as Rarity locked the door again. Shooing the key in her pocket, she hurried down the stairs and only stopped when she was outside of the tower. The cold night air welcomed her lounges and Rarity sighted in relief.

Clenching her hoof towards her chest, Rarity looked up into the sky. The moon swam between the clouds and on its silver surface she could see the imprints of an unicorn's head. Rarity made a small circle with six lines in front of her chest. In folklore this sign was there to rid oneself off evil.

“Please”, Rarity whispered, “Celestia, if you can hear me, please let this end soon.” She turned her glance away from the moon and hurried towards the larger part of the castle, to her chambers, to get some rest. Although she knew it would be hard to find sleep during this Period.