• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 1,148 Views, 45 Comments

Once there was morning... - EbonyDanger



Twilight got captured in her attempt to flee Nightmare Moon. Can she and Spike get back to the map? Will Nightmare Moon notice? And can Captain Rainbow Dash and Mademoiselle Rarity help them?

  • ...
6
 45
 1,148

One mistake

Just one mistake. Twilight sat in the darkness and banged her head against the wall. It was wet and the sound of dripping water filled her ears. The stone was cool and the cold dampness ate into her fur. Her cell was laying deep in the ground in the earth's womb. She could hear faint whispers, the rustling of chains, sobs and a few cries for food, that died out as soon as they broke through the silence.

Just one mistake. She had underestimated Nightmare Moon. Sometimes a brief difference could be fatal for the future. Twilight should know that by now. Starlight Glimmer had proven it enough for her. Starlight Glimmer. Already the name made her furrow her brow in anger. This was all her fault.

Starlight had altered Starswirl's spell and used it to travel through time and change the past. Twilight of course had followed her with Spike. Only to get stopped by her own stubbornness and narrow-mindedness. Again and again she felt her failure, which pulled her back into a present, that was not her own.

An equestrian war against King Sombra. The takeover of the changelings. And now this! Eternal night and Equestria was ruled by Nightmare Moon. This Nightmare Moon had shown a great interest in Twilight's time spell. And I fool tried to use that interest for myself.

She had thought, she could trick the dark mare. Use her powers to get passed the Timberwolves and back to the map. Well until her plan had worked smoothly and perfectly. But then Twilight had underestimated Nightmare's speed.

She remembered standing on the map of Equestria, her horn already flaring, about to cast the spell, that would pull her and Spike back into the past, back into safety, when another spell had hit her. A cyan beam, which had burned like ice on her coat. It had caused a small explosion, which had flung her and Spike from the table in separate directions.

The guards had taken the chance and captured them. And the parchment role was gone. Probably stuck somewhere in the bushes. Just one mistake. Twilight could curse her own foolishness. She angrily hammered her head against the wall. Spike had been brought into another place. Twilight still heard Rainbow Dash's order as she bellowed: “No, not that one! The dragon comes with me!” In her ears her own cry of despair rang and when she closed her eyes, she saw Spike struggling as he was pulled away from her.

Sure there had been times where they had been apart, but Twilight had always known, where Spike was. Not now. Not in this world. He could be anywhere and the servants of Nightmare Moon could do anything with him. Twilight was not scared for herself. She had handled many different situations in her time as Princess and even before. She could defend herself. Spike could not.

He was a child! A little baby dragon. He had not had the power and strength of a fully grown dragon yet. It was even unsure if he could ever have that. But now Spike was as defenseless as a puppy. The thought made Twilight's heart ache with worry. She had to save him. She had to get out of here! She had to get back to the map and find the parchment role. Starlight Glimmer could not win.

Whom are you even kidding, Twilight?! Groaning, the purple Alicorn placed her head between her hooves as she laid down. You are in a dungeon! In Nightmare Moon's castle. You do not know anything about this world. It had bothered her in every single time line she had been by now. This nagging question as soon as she had realized the change: What had happen here? Sure, she could tell why. It was because of the stopped Rainboom, thus resulting in her and her friend's never coming together, but what way the butterfly effect had taken was a mystery to her.

In front of her cell door stood a guard. The violet dark armor did not hide the flashes of cyan fur on the legs, neck and ears. The helmet had a crescent moon stamped into it and its shape reminded Twilight of an eagle. The pony had a purple tail, stylized to fit with the armor. She wore small, rugged looking horseshoes.

“He, pssst”, hissed Twilight, “How did you got into the service of the Princess?” She needed more information. And this was an opportunity to get them. Rainbow Dash turned her head. Her rubycoloured eyes glared at her with content and a harshness that felt unfamiliar to the Rainbow Twilight knew.

“The Princess has given us strict orders not to talk with the prisoners”, she snarled, “Besides why is this even your business? Why do you care? Where have you been? Under a rock? Your naivety is surprising.”

Twilight sighted and shook her head. “Listen, Rainbow”, she responded and lifted a hoof, “I have not been under a rock.” This sharp, cynical treatment screamed for bits of sarcasm in her answer. “I told you already. I am from another time line.” Her eyes glowed and she smiled. “In my world there is no eternal night. Instead we have day and night. You do remember how sunlight looks like, right? We do not even have a sole ruler. Instead Princess Celestia rules with her sister Princess Luna, who arose from Nightmare Moon's ashes. They are kind and benevolent rulers. And we are best friends. Together with Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy we found the Elements of Harmony and defeated Nightmare Moon.”

Twilight smiled, but Rainbow remained suspicious. The purple Alicorn got nervous. Maybe I went a bit too far. She had to admit: Her word choice sounded cheesy. But still couldn't Rainbow Dash imagine such a world? Would she not wish to live in such a place?

“This is a child's fantasy.” Rainbow Dash pulled of her helmet and clamped it under her arm. She had a shorter mane then Twilight's Rainbow Dash. Only a thine line of multicoloured hair, running down her neck. “Our kingdom is a nocturnal one and it will always remain this way. What you are saying, is dangerous, pony. Princess Celestia deserved, what she got. And the Elements of Harmony...they are old folklore, nothing more.”

“But wouldn't it be nice to see the light of day again?” Twilight closed her eyes and concentrated herself. She was not that good with creating light on her horn like Celestia. But still the Alicorn managed to create a minor sun on the tip of her horn. It casted its bright and warm light in the dungeons and made the particles in the air shimmer.

“Isn't that much friendlier and nicer?”, asked Twilight and smiled.

However, Rainbow Dash reacted more negatively. Pressing a hoof over her eyes she shouted: “Snap it out! It hurts my eyes!” Shocked at the harsh reaction, Twilight followed the example. The small ball of light vanished as fast as it had appeared.

Squinting her eyes, Twilight gazed at Rainbow and realized something interesting. Her pupils were narrow and started to wide as it became darker. Her face spoke of anger as she jabbed her hoof at Twilight. “What do you think you were doing there?”, she shouted, “It is against the law to speak about the day or even wishing its light back. Anypony who does that gets executed! Don't you know that?”

Panting, Rainbow Dash glared at Twilight, who fell silent and lowered her glance. Rubbing her hooves against one another, she responded hesitant: “I did not know that. I am sorry.” She had gone too fast with that one. How was she suppose to gain Rainbow's trust with such a behavior?

The Pegasus' ears twitched as they heard steps, coming down the hall. Rainbow glared at Twilight, before she placed her helmet back on her head. The remaining guards sprang to attitude. Rainbow Dash stretched her shoulders and lifted her chin and Twilight did not need to ask who the mare was, which was coming down the hallway.