• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 1,383 Views, 46 Comments

Death and Dying - Regidar



Applejack, Octavia, and Nirvana finds out what happens after a pony dies.

  • ...
23
 46
 1,383

Where do Ponies go When They Die?

That’s a bright light.

This was the only thing that Applejack thought as the pain coursed through her body. She felt the cold hooves of a stranger pressing on her chest, pumped her heart as it attempted to bring her back from the brink of death.

It wasn’t working.

Applejack’s lungs shuddered with every breath she took, and the pain was slowly creeping through her entire body. Strangely, a warm numbing feeling was spreading through her lower body, having fully consumed her legs already. The bright light in front of her eyes felt warm, like a bright ray of light on a winter morning.

It felt nice.

Suddenly, from the light, descended an all-too familiar pony.

“Princess Celestia?”

The Alicorn stood over the dying earth pony, and smiled. This smile filled Applejack with hope. Nothing could go wrong now.

“You did well, my little pony. Now take a long deserved rest.”

Princess Celestia leaned forward, and her horn touched Applejacks forehead. Applejack felt herself being filled with a sense of euphoria.


And then she died.

***

Big Macintosh kept massaged her chest, but the heartbeat had long since faded from the cold body now in front of him. He had been trained in lifesaving techniques, hoping to never have to use them. But when his sister suddenly collapsed and fell to the ground gasping in pain, he had no choice. He had sent out Applebloom to get help, but it was too late now.

Big Macintosh looked at the lifeless body of his sister, and then broke down. He sobbed loudly, collapsing on his sister’s body, hugging her. She was gone from him forever.

“Ah got the paramedics, they’re on their way righ’ now-” Applebloom began as she showed up again, but Big Macintosh stopped her.

“Don’t bother, she’s gone.”


***


Applejack’s friends took the news hard. Twilight locked herself in her library for a few days, Fluttershy cried for days on end, Pinkie’s hair lost its luster, and she hid herself away. Rarity sobbed and locked herself up in the Carousel Boutique for a number of days, and Rainbow Dash disappeared all together. But at the end of the week, they all showed up again for their friend’s funeral.

Twilight was the first to speak about her dear friend during the eulogies.

“Applejack was a good, hard working pony. She was my first friend here in Ponyville, and-” Twilight stopped and ran down from the coffin, tears spilling from her eyes.

The others couldn't even get up. Finally, Big Macintosh stood up and decided to take it up.

“I know I may not be the most talkative pony out there, but I have a lot to say about my sister. She was a good hard working pony, just like Twilight said. She was honest, and great at many things. And we aren't yet sure what exactly caused her death, but if Celestia felt it was her time to go, then she had every right to take her. We’ll all miss her, and we can only hope she is in a better place.”

Big Macintosh sat down, fighting back tears. Fluttershy and Rarity hugged him, and patted him on the back to comfort him.
And somewhere, far beyond the funeral, far beyond Ponyville, far beyond Equestria, far beyond the clouds, far beyond Celestia’s sun, far beyond Luna’s moon, far beyond the stars, far beyond the farthest galaxy, and far beyond the universe's boundaries, there was a green field. The green field was surrounded by green hills. Nearby these green hills and fields there was a green forest. And laying in the green field was a speck of orange.

“Where in Sweet Celestia’s holy land am ah?” Applejack said, standing up and rubbing her head.