• Published 18th Nov 2015
  • 2,479 Views, 152 Comments

The Lost Ponies: Jurassic Park - CompactDisc



On a research mission to Earth, Twilight and Fluttershy are dragged into an international conspiracy. A historic discovery gone very wrong, they fight for survival against humanity and dinosauria alike. [TLW: Jurassic Park crossover]

  • ...
8
 152
 2,479

14 - The Magic of Death

“Hmm,” Levine said with a grimace. “Looks like a weather front, for sure.” He was looking up at the evening skies, the sun long since lost behind a very grey, very aggressive-looking weather system that had worked its way onto the shores of Isla Sorna. “Perhaps it’d be prudent to head back to the RV sooner rather than later.” He huffed to himself when he failed to hear a chorus of agreement, instead settling back down on the plains, once again allowing his focus to wander back to the herd. It’s been a productive day if nothing else he mused to himself, nodding once in support of his own thoughts. He and the team had been sketching the animals, taking what photographs they could, compiling field notes on behaviour; generally they had kept very busy with the dinosaurs before them. For the most part Levine found himself contented that the dinosaurs and not the mystery surrounding Lewis Dodgson had been the focus of the day’s efforts. However, as the weather closed in he wondered if heading back to the lab and talking about Dodgson with the ponies could be a sensible move.

With a great huff and strain Levine stood, easing the weight off of his injured leg. “I think we should head back to the RV,” he said again – only this time slightly louder. This time he did not wait for any agreement; slowly he began the walk back to the trucks, hobbling awkwardly as he went. He thought he heard Malcolm call that he and Harding would stay outside, rejoining the others later...

“Would you like a hand, Richard?” A voice came from just behind and Levine jumped. He spun round and let out a sigh when he saw both Twilight and Fluttershy – he surmised they must have seen his struggle and came to offer what support they could.

“No, no, thank you,” he said with a wave of his hand as he pressed on, the ponies in tow. “I appreciate the thought, at least.” Levine allowed a moment’s silence before turning back to them once more. “So... I want to properly thank you both for being here. Even if the circumstances weren’t quite as we had planned them.” He let out a hollow chuckle, but was glad to see both the mares smiling back at him. “Your day yesterday sounded horrible, and I’m glad to see you both well and in good spirits. And safe. Fluttershy, I want to thank you especially for seeing to my injury last night. And Twilight, your profound knowledge and general observations have been most welcome. I genuinely appreciate you both being here and I want you to know that – despite holding myself personally responsible for yesterday’s events – I’m doing what I can to put that behind me, and instead focus on the good times we’ve had today, working together on our groundbreaking expedition.”

“You’re welcome, Richard. And thank you,” Twilight hummed. “Had you all not pursued Dodgson, Celestia only knows what might have come to pass—”

“We don’t hold you responsible,” Fluttershy blurted. “I’ll admit that I didn’t know we were getting involved in something quite so – um – complex! But I think that Twilight and I have seen similar situations in Equestria, and we’ve come out okay. Because we’ve worked together. And I think that’s what we’ve been doing here since reuniting with you. Wouldn’t you agree, Twilight?”

“Yeah,” she offered with a smile. “I think some of us miiight have had our disagreements... not naming names, Doctor Malcolm­” – Twilight winked – “but yes, it’s clear that we’re in good company here, Richard.”

Levine erupted into powerful laughter, ceasing his slow but determined trudge. “Oh, all too real!” he said between the mirth. “Even Equestrians find Doctor Malcolm awkward and difficult. He’d love that, you know. He loves playing the enigmatic academic, difficult to please and difficult to work with. And to know that the Equestrian Elements find him obtuse and awkward? He’d wear that accolade all too proudly.” He let out a chuckle. “But, well, yes. Despite all of that, he’s a good fellow. Anyway, again: I’m glad you two are okay. Should you need anything tonight” – he huffed as the approached the RV, swinging the door open and hauling himself awkwardly inside – “please do ask. And I’d love to talk dinosaur behaviours and characteristics with you a little later, once we’re fully settled for the night. Your take on things would fascinate me.”

“Ah, the prestigious Doctor Levine.” Thorne’s voice boomed from the rearward trailer, his imposing figure quickly appearing. “The prick we found earlier is coming to. Wanna give him that punch in the face now?”

Immediately the RV burst into activity: all souls made their way through to the trailer where Dodgson was sat up, wrists and ankles tied tightly. Twilight took in the sight of the dishevelled man before her. He looked rough and he looked traumatised, and she found a part of her feeling sorry for him. Another equally big part of her was glad to see him in this situation – now he might perhaps understand how she and Fluttershy felt when they found themselves captive under him.

She watched as his eyes rolled around lamely, blinking wildly in an effort to focus – and then suddenly his gaze found hers and his eyes widened as he visibly paled.

“Mr Dodgson,” Twilight said stiffly. She allowed a pause, weighing up whether a full-force rant would be necessary or even effective; to that end she bit her tongue. She opted instead to save her breath and see what he had to say for himself. She snorted audibly, turning away from the man in disgust.

“This island and everything to do with it is hell,” a weak voice croaked – Dodgson had come round just enough to communicate. All eyes turned to him and in his drugged haze he could just feel the beginnings of fear bubbling over.

Immediately Levine had leapt forward. One of his hands grasped firmly at Dodgson’s collar, the other was held in a tight fist, waving threateningly in front of Dodgson’s face. “I know you broke into my fucking home,” he hissed. His rage was evident, surprising the others aboard. He had been so calm just minutes earlier; this mood swing was surprising and powerful. “You conducted industrial espionage, kidnapped two incredibly important Equestrians and set sail for a restricted island? Jesus,” he huffed, loosening his grip on Dodgson’s scruff and shifting his weight from leg to leg. “When we return to the United States I am getting you locked up for ever.”

“You say a word to the authorities, and I tell them where you found me.” Dodgson hacked. “Remember. You’re on this island too, and none of us should be here. You’re just as guilty as I am.”

Levine twitched, his fist clenching ever tighter before disarming himself. “You’re an asshole,” he seethed. “Anyway, we didn’t kidnap Twilight and Fluttershy.”

“They conducted ‘industrial espionage’ on my private conversation, as you put it.” He shot Levine a dirty glare, before turning his attention to the ponies. His features were sharper now; he was waking up. “Not one person or pony here has a clean slate, and you all need to be reminded of that. Especially you two. This whole deal had nothing to do with you, and yet here you are. Some unresolved business between InGen and Biosyn was working itself out, and now thanks to dickhead over here” – Dodgson nodded towards Levine – “you alien horses from another realm have become embroiled in all this. So, like I said before. All three respective parties are on a restricted island. All three parties are involving themselves in things behind and beyond the law, and all three of us have done immoral things leading up to and since arriving here.” Dodgson paused, his eyes searching around him and his manner darkening. “So, number one: don’t lecture us on your important position at home or the ‘magic of friendship’. Don’t take the moral high ground, because you’re no better than anyone else here. Number two: don’t threaten me with legal action if we get out of this hellhole; the only reason I’m here is because you” – he gestured again to Levine – “you can’t keep your secret and illegal plans secret at all. And finally... What are you actually hoping to achieve here?”

Silence reigned, Dodgson’s remarks hanging all too loudly in the RV until finally, quietly but determinedly, Fluttershy spoke up. “You’re a vile man,” she said. “Can’t you just see the good in others?”

The now alert Dodgson guffawed loudly. “No such thing,” he said simply. “People who do good things use it as a tool to make themselves feel better about themselves. It’s a distraction from their own shitty life. Take our friend Levine here. From what I can see, he wants to go public with field notes of apparent ‘dinosaurs’ and further cement himself as Number One palaeontologist. Such a noble cause, sir. And why are you doing this? To outdo everyone else trying hard in the field? Is it because your peers find you an irritating asshole? Or is it to prove your lecturers at Harvard wrong who said you’d amount to nothing?”

The door to the RV slammed and the group jumped; Levine had stormed away. In the dying light those in the trucks could just make him out, shuffling awkwardly back towards Malcolm, Harding and Carr who remained observing the herd.

“Looks like you touched a nerve,” Thorne began calmly as he filled his flask, settling down heavily next to Dodgson. With a sigh he ran a hand through his wild beard, sharing a tired look with the ponies before turning his attention back to the BioSyn man. “You are scum,” he said simply, knowing full well that his intimidating appearance was working in his favour. “Stealing dino eggs, baby animals, and threatening to use these two as live bait – yes, they told us all about you and your team.” Thorne chuckled to himself gruffly, taking a long swig from his hipflask. “If Richard and Ian didn’t want to speak to you further, I’d have thrown you out of this trailer a long time ago.” Thorne rose to his full height, staring pitifully at Dodgson. “While I’m in charge, you’re as good as raptor food.” Finishing his drink, he headed to the bunks and lay down.

Twilight had remained silent throughout the entire exchange, opting to observe and not to intervene. She found herself agreeing with Dodgson – in a sense – with regards to a single point: the entire situation surrounding the dinosaurs and Isla Sorna was indeed a matter between InGen and BioSyn, and not really anything to do with Equestria. She and Fluttershy had found themselves implicated in a matter that began as something so distant and unconnected from ponykind, and yet, here they were, ‘behind and beyond the law’ as Dodgson had put it. She couldn’t shake that, too – her very being here was illegal. Admittedly she and Fluttershy had come here against their wishes, but Twilight had still opted to join Levine on an expedition – she’d have arrived here eventually. But then, she had chose to come here in the interest of scientific gain, something of which she knew couldn’t always be restrained by laws.

Twilight huffed loudly, trotting away from Dodgson and towards some vacant seating. She could sense Fluttershy following her but she was too wrapped up in her own head to engage with the outside world.

Rain began to fall outside, its gentle thrum going some way to soothing her unease. Dodgson is so horribly negative, Twilight thought to herself. The magic of friendship is definitely lost on him. And this thought alone made her feel low; as awful as a person as he might be, she had been convinced that she’d be able to show everypony the real strength of friendship and positivity. But Dodgson was clearly a lost cause.

She sighed loudly again, her eyes wandering to the world outside of the trailer. It was dark now; the rain had cut off any last glow of the sun and the heavy clouds hung low.

Even Levine has been abrasive and negative, Twilight mused. Right from the start. She knew that he had good in him; this whole mission was absolutely good-willed, of this Twilight was sure. Even if a part of him is doing it to prove something to the world. But his way of going about things was obtuse and backward, and she could see that he clashed so regularly with the often ill-tempered Malcolm – himself a bizarre, somewhat negative person – and Thorne, who had no patience and apparently little regard for few other people...

Twilight suddenly found herself out of her head and back to reality. Her loud thoughts had been replaced by silence from within, the only sounds to be heard being the hammering of rain and the occasional dinosaur call. She had experienced this before: a very deep, very intense line of thought suddenly crashing to a halt, only amplifying the deafening sound of silence. It was then that she felt cold. This was a symptom of her descending into anxious, over-thinking territory, something that she had fought all her life to conquer, and – with the loving support of her friends – had made huge strides in overcoming. But there was just... something... about the island, and the people that she was sharing the experience with, that didn’t put her totally at ease. Even with Fluttershy at her side.

Instinctively Twilight stood, gently and quietly stepping outside into the night, being sure to close the door behind her. She closed her eyes and felt the rain soak through her mane and coat – it had a certain relaxing nature to it. With a long, deep breath through her nostrils came the stabilising peace she was seeking. Aaaah. For a moment she couldn’t feel the strange, negative energy swirling within the RV and infecting her soul; neither could she feel the weight of the situation. No, here, standing in the rain at the jungle’s edge, Twilight found peace.

Whilst deep in the calming recesses of her mind she could just about hear the RV door squeak open, its sound hardly audible above the white-noise of the falling rain. Twilight needn’t open her eyes to know Fluttershy had joined her – she could feel her there, she knew her presence.

“You okay?” came her quiet voice.

Slowly Twilight opened her eyes. “This is getting to me again,” she said simply. “I’m alright, sorta, but there’s no... I dunno—”

“No magic here?” Fluttershy had cut in, her own eyes now wide. She flicked her wet mane from her face.

“...Yeah,” Twilight replied. “The energy in the RV is so choking. And even when everypony is being kind and genuine, well... I dunno. I feel like they’re being kind because it serves them. Like Richard earlier. Thankful we’re here, but because he’ll have been the first person to conduct research of this kind and the first to do it alongside the prestigious Elements of Harmony.” Twilight allowed a moment. “I don’t know. I don’t know if this negative energy is getting to me. I don’t know if there’s something about magical manipulation on Earth which is affecting my ability to clearly see the magic of friendship, or at least harness it...” She shook her head. “I think I’m just tired.”

Fluttershy smiled weakly, a small nod given in agreement. “I don’t know, either. But I think that another good night’s rest will do us the world of good. How about we start again tomorrow?”

“Okay.”

The pair shared a hug, allowing the sounds of the rain and the nearby herd to fill their sense before heading back into the trucks. Ignoring Dodgson completely the pair found Thorne, who was quick to support the idea of sleep. “I’ll stay up til the others return,” he said before wishing the ponies good-night, and with that, Twilight and Fluttershy found themselves some blankets and a spare few bunks.

* * * *


By the time the helicopter had arrived at the bait site, Tembo was most anxious to depart. It had been a long afternoon; since being picked up by Ludlow and his escort they had flown out to Ludlow’s yacht, upon which various medical checks of the baby Rex had taken place. In the downtime there was little for Tembo to do and he grew bored – he didn’t much fancy chatting to King, who was extremely quiet and reserved. Ludlow was busy entertaining his potential investors – of whom Tembo had not yet had the pleasure of meeting; they would arrive with Ludlow at the bait site in due course – and so he had slept the time away. However, it was a short sleep, and before Tembo knew it he was once again back on the island, working with his team to set up the high-hide for Ludlow and laying the trap for the alleged ‘super-predator’.

As he departed the helicopter into the damp, humid night he sighed. Things were still being kept a secret from him and although Ludlow had looked after him – and paid him very well – he was keen to know more, to have answers. Although he was plenty aware that he’d soon have them, Tembo found himself impatient. It would have made his job easier if he’d known what this apparent ‘super-predator’ was, but Ludlow had rebuffed him each time he pressed for answers. It was a ‘top-secret InGen project’ of which could ‘never be accidentally revealed on the mainland’, so he was told. But laying this trap, using the baby Rex as bait, seemed totally backward to him. Why a genetically enhanced monster would seek out a Tyrannosaurus – chick or otherwise – he did not know. And he also did not know who these new investors were, or why they were so interested in seeing the most aggressive of all InGen’s animals.

Nonetheless, he lay the bait, and his team erected the high-hide. Once the work was complete Tembo took shelter in the high-hide, ready to await Ludlow’s arrival but he did not have to wait long: from the gloom a helicopter emerged, fighting the worsening conditions as it heavily set down in the marshy clearing below. Tembo watched as Ludlow ducked out, raising an arm to defend himself from the elements. Then emerged King. But then, following the two men, came two large, four-legged bird-people, a sight he had not seen before: Griffons. His gazed was fixed on these bizarre, intimidating creatures as they followed Ludlow towards the high-hide and made their way up.

“Ah, Roland.” Ludlow cleaned his glasses as he spoke, settling into the raised shelter. “I’d like to introduce you to Tsar Gavrel of All Griffon Realms and his honoured entourage, Duke Grigorii Glebovich.” He turned to the Griffons. “This is Roland Tembo, experienced hunter, wildlife tracker, and trusted colleague of mine.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Hunter,” Gavrel offered coolly, extending a claw. Tembo gingerly grabbed and shook it. “The Duke and I are most excited to witness these ancient beasts.”

“Good to meet you both,” Tembo said simply, stunned by the presence these creatures carried with them. Royalty or not, he hadn’t expected a Griffon to have such gravitas and found himself actually quite cautious around them. “You certainly shan’t be disappointed by the adult Tyrannosaurs.”

“I wasn’t,” Grigorii cut in. “Upon first meeting Mr Ludlow we witnessed a great beast on the shores of this isle. I believe it was a Tyrannosaur.”

“Indeed,” Ludlow added. “And I highly suspect we shall see both the island’s Tyrannosaurs tonight... Amongst other things.” He smiled knowingly.

“I look forward to that, too.” Tembo shot Ludlow a glance. “I was wondering if you were ever going to disclose what species your new monster is.”

Grigorii looked to Tembo, a pointed claw aiming his way. “The Hunter does not know?”

Ludlow smiled. “He does not. Nobody does, except for me, and my genetic engineers. But soon, all five of us will know.”

“...Five?”

Ludlow faltered, unsure of the Duke’s comment. But he looked around, and realised that the entourage was one soul down. “My, my. Mr King has left us.”

“Where has the meek one gone?” Gavrel looked concerned.

“Who knows,” Tembo said. “But he won’t have gotten very far, I shouldn’t think.” He paused, taking another long, hard look into the gloomy jungles below. “This island becomes a death trap at night. All manner of carnivores come out to play, and they are all extremely efficient predators.”

Ludlow nodded once, sagely. “Roland is right. We won’t worry about Howard King for now. No, I believe we have more – shall we say – pressing issues, at hand...” He trailed off, gesturing to the clearing below.

As the Griffons examined the clearing beneath, Tembo leaned in closely, placing a firm hand upon Ludlow’s shoulder. “I hope you know what you’re doing, making investments with these Griffons.” He whispered quietly, but with grave concern.

“Leave the business to me, Roland.” Ludlow seemed unfazed by Tembo’s warning. “I know what I am doing and how to go about this.” With a wry smile he removed Tembo’s hand. “Now, good sirs... We wait.”

* * * *


A strange and sudden sensation filled Fluttershy’s senses as she woke with a start. For the briefest of moments she was totally confused; she had no idea where she was or what was happening but then the familiar grey fittings of the RV grounded her thoughts. Save for the sounds of the others sleeping and the hammering rain it was quiet, and it was dark. To that end she was unsure quite what had woken her – exhaustion had very much taken hold last night and even with the adrenaline rush that came with the dinosaurs she felt relatively safe whilst in the company of the others and in the RV.

She sat up slowly, rubbing her eyes and as she looked around at her gloomy surroundings her head began to whirr and spin. Deep within her there was a longing desperation; a feeling so small and so distant that she could barely register it but for some reason it was growing in presence and intensity. Fluttershy surmised it was this that had dragged her from her slumber. Controlling her breathing she remained still, doing what she could to fend off any potential anxiety attack. But this felt different from anxiety and worry. This felt primitive.

To accompany her growing instinct was a dull headache and a powerful nausea, coming in waves. She clamped her eyes shut – even the dull light from the RV’s computer systems was too much as her sickening migraine made itself present – and breathed. But with her eyes closed, her senses seemed to heighten and the instinctive desperation she felt was amplified even more. It seemed to her that whatever she was experiencing was here to stay, and there was no way out other than through.

No, she thought to herself. I am in control. With a determined, long breath she found her center and felt in some relative ease. Gently hopping from the bunk to fix a water, Fluttershy wondered whether her own conscious monologue was simply a placebo, and the strange feeling she was experiencing – still present, but somewhat subdued – was in fact taking hold of her mind. She paused again as her glass filled, having to fight off a particularly powerful wave of sickness, her vision blurring this time. With gritted teeth she held herself against the counter and closed her eyes.

She missed the water ripple in her glass.

Fluttershy was no fool. As she slumped into a vacant seat near the rear of the RV, she had already thought of a number of causes for her current situation. But she found a strange correlation in the way she felt when compared to Twilight’s recounting of her teleportation spell. Twilight had said that using magic on Earth had been incredibly hard. She had pushed herself to her mental limit to conjure the required power; she had given herself an intense headache and was very sick. Fluttershy couldn’t help but feel that her volatile state was thanks to a similar situation. But as to the exact cause she was unsure. She couldn’t actively manipulate magic and even if she could she was nowhere near the spellcaster that Twilight was; she’d likely never be able to locate Earth’s magical field, let alone exploit it. But she was a Pegasus with an innate ability to empathise, to be kind. So she thought that somepony close to her must be feeling lonely and desperate...

Another wave of nausea hit her, and Fluttershy grimaced. A few steadying breaths later she once again opened her eyes, focussing on the relaxing pitter-patter of the rain. Gingerly she took a small drink, vacantly staring out into the murky blackness outside.

It must be Twilight, she thought. I’m not close enough to anypony else here, and I know Twilight is feeling delicate.

She had barely enough time to think before the next sharp pain in her head struck; this time she wretched as she steadied herself. In amidst the mental chaos she thought she could feel the ground moving but she couldn’t be sure. This attack was the most intense and powerful of the night and Fluttershy felt like she wanted to bellow in a desperate rage whilst also ripping her thumping brain out of her own head. The thudding of her skull was powerful, rhythmic, building the nausea and the emotional torment into a crescendo until suddenly and without any warning whatsoever it totally disappeared.

In the silence Fluttershy realised that the thudding was also coming from directly outside the RV, and she felt her stomach drop.

A massive black shape appeared from the rainy gloom, positioning itself alongside the trucks. As it came into view produced a thunderous guttural rumble, loudly sniffing the air nearby. Fluttershy went to move, to jump back or crawl out of sight but she found herself paralysed by fear. She could feel herself blanching as the shape took another step forward, its head finally lowering into view through the windows. She felt her skin crawl and her chest tighten as a beady yellow eye peered inside, enormous jaws working once and a mighty moan coming from the beast. Instinct told her to scream but terror gripped her too tightly as her worst fears were confirmed: Fluttershy was all-too aware that she had entered into a staring competition with a Tyrannosaurus Rex. The skull structure, the body shape, the rows of massive, bone-crushing teeth – there was never any doubt as to what species it was. Its presence was enough to make her feel dizzy. Her heart pounded – never once did she anticipate actually seeing an adult Rex, let alone being this frighteningly close to one.

“Do not move,” came Malcolm’s voice, giving away more than a hint of panic. Fluttershy could sense he and the others had also now woken up, the loud shuffling and moaning from the beast outside removing any sense of peace.

The massive head of the Rex cocked slightly before turning a full ninety degrees on the trailer; it was now staring inside with binocular vision. Again the animal moaned, pressing its snout against the window and sniffing heavily. Fluttershy could only simply watch. Moving now would be the end of her, for sure.

When another thunderous rumble came from behind her she jolted and then, ever so slowly, glanced over her shoulder. She was presented with a sight worse than an adult Rex: another adult Rex, equally as massive and terrifying, its own horrid gaze staring right back at her through the trailer’s rear window.

Dragons,” Fluttershy uttered, glassy eyes unable to tear away from the enormous monster that had appeared so quietly around the rear of the RV trailer. She wanted to crouch or hide or run so very badly but she couldn’t, as with a horrible dawning realisation she knew that she was stood between both adult Tyrannosaurs. If for any reason one didn’t spot her movement, then surely the other one would. And so she remained stock-still, watching the first massive creature and sensing the movement of the other. She was petrified and woefully tense. The memories of seeing the dragon-like skeletons in the countless museums she had visited all those years ago came rushing back; so too did the acute fear. And as she stared wide-eyed at the first Rex, itself grunting and sniffling loudly at the RV’s doorway, she felt that painful, sickly desperation from before. The feeling amplified to an almost gut-wrenching level as the first Tyrannosaur drew a loud breath and expelled an almighty, prehistoric bellow, causing her and the others to flinch and wince. The call was greeted by a grunt from the other adult Rex, the sound echoing loudly from behind her. They were talking.

It was in that moment that Fluttershy realised the instinctive desperation that had awoken her was a feeling that the Tyrannosaurs were exhibiting. That brief fleeting moment in which it all came together for her felt like a lifetime but she knew it was really only a few seconds. She had somehow connected to the massive Rexes. Her innate ability with animals – itself intrinsically part of her passive magical manipulation and her affinity for kindness and empathy – had been jumpstarted by the pain these massive predators were feeling. She could suddenly feel it all too clearly. She felt their horrible loss and their hot rage directed at the territory invaders who hadn’t set foot in their lands for at least four years or so—

“They’re searching for their baby,” Fluttershy said at a whisper. “They’re smelling us for their baby.”

The stillness in the RV was palpable, the rain ever-louder before finally somebody broke the tension. “Lewis...It was a baby Rex you had.” It was Harding, posing less of a question and more of a confirmation. “You stole a baby from the Tyrannosaurus nest.”

Dodgson said nothing. His heavy, steadying breaths filled the RV. Despite the darkness he too had obviously blanched, frozen with fear himself. It was apparent to all others that he was finally realising the grave error of his actions earlier that day.

Silence befell the trailers once more; the heavy downpour creating an eerie backdrop of sound as the two adult Rexes paced slowly outside. Their breathing was heavy, drawling; their sniffing great and frantic. Nobody dared move or speak as the beasts continued their determined circling of the trailers – they had clearly picked up on a scent and it was evident to all aboard that they weren’t going to leave anytime soon.

Finally Dodgson spoke up, breaking the near-unbearable tension. “So.” He began slowly, his voice betraying more than a hint of panic. “What are we supposed to do in a situation like this?”

“Firstly, you can shut up,” Thorne hissed. “Secondly, what can we do? We’re way outgunned here. You see those jaws? No match for anything we’ve got.”

“Do not even think about trying anything smart,” Malcolm added curtly, his laboured speech betraying his panic. “You can’t win against a Tyrannosaur. Nobody wins against the greatest alpha predator. Oh, Lord no...”

“Ian...”

“Sarah, don’t. Let’s not sugar-coat this. Remember I’ve seen this before—”

“Ian!” Thorne hissed angrily. “Cut it out for just one minute—”

“You don’t understand what’s going on here, so just stay quiet—”

But it was too late: without any prior warning, the first Rex shunted the rearward trailer powerfully, causing it to slide sideways. The force was incredible and the team – themselves situated in the forward truck – quickly grabbed onto anything they could.

“Hold on!” Levine called out loudly. “This could get messy—”

Levine had barely finished speaking when an incredible impact slammed into the RV: in a great cacophony the vehicle’s side crumpled and caved in, shattering the windows and spilling countless tools and instruments. As the windows exploded the sounds of the outside world came pouring in, the hissing of the determined rainfall and distressed, impossibly loud trumpets from the two Tyrannosaurs outside masking the team’s own screams and cries. Fluttershy was thrown from her position in the trailer, cracking her back painfully on a work surface, barely hauling herself to her hooves when she was thrown again as the second Rex followed the first in crushing the vehicles. With a scream she leapt forward, out of the trailer, just in time: the massive animal had used its own head as a battering ram, smashing into the roof and causing the entire structure to decompress frighteningly quickly. As she landed unceremoniously on the floor in front of Twilight she turned to look back at the chaos, horrified to see that the Tyrannosaur had now gripped the crushed roof with its enormous jaws, angrily howling and piercing the RV. And under the workbench at the back, still bound as a captive, lay the terrified form of Lewis Dodgson.

In that moment Fluttershy glanced at Twilight; their eyes met and she was told all she needed to know. Wordlessly both the ponies sprung into action, blindly pushing fear to one side and charging into the quickly disintegrating trailer. The sound was horrid; screeching metal and the ancient roars from the massive beasts swirled all around, blocking out the cries from the humans in the main RV. Finally they reached Dodgson, himself entirely immobilised by fear and incredibly difficult to move but they succeeded, hauling him away from the immediate danger. As they dragged him through the trailer’s accordion connector Harding moved forward to help pull the terrified man in, narrowly avoiding the Rex’s enormous bite force as the Tyrannosaurs completely tore the roof of the trailer away, exposing the laboratory to the wild elements outside.

“You should have left him!” Thorne yelled, backing away quickly from Dodgson and the wrecked trailer, jumping into the cab. Only one feeling consumed him – the need to run. “Come on,” he yelled as he attempted to fire up the RV’s engine but the damage was done. The motor did not turn over; there was to be no escape.

Then came the loudest, most horrifying roar thusfar as both massive animals bellowed together. With flinches and screams in return Fluttershy, Twilight and the others instinctively tried to flee and hide despite knowing full-well that there was nowhere to hide. They had been seen, but more than that, they – and the Rex baby – had been smelt. Fluttershy cowered with Twilight, unable to really do anything except wait for the total destruction of the RV and the pair – hiding together, feeling so removed from the others – watched, simply dumbstruck, as the animals ripped the trailer apart, enormous heads swinging slowly, determinedly, towards the now exposed rear of the main truck.

Time seemed to move impossibly slowly as the furious attack briefly let up; Fluttershy watched hollowly as the giant creatures took steady paces towards the rear of the RV, beady yellow eyes searching wildly and large nostrils flaring, quickly picking up on smells and scents. It was in that timeless moment that she once again felt the desperation from before, only this time it was amplified a thousand-fold, and now it was seasoned with furious rage and bullish territorialism. She went to cry out and warn the others but she could hardly summon the strength to speak, and at that moment the Tyrannosaurs once again launched their merciless attack: the first Rex to have arrived forced its enormous snout inside the RV, slowly forcing its jaws open, the incredible muscular forces misshaping the metalwork and rollbars. With an entirely too menacing rumble and moan it lolled its tongue inside the trucks – an attempt to taste for its young, Fluttershy quickly surmised – and it slapped around terrifyingly. Before she was able to really process what had happened she could sense one of the team reaching past her and she glanced to her left: before her Carr was swinging wildly at the animal’s tongue with a large ratchet, bellowing something nondescript. His fear-driven rage seemed to have come from nowhere in the moment of madness and Fluttershy watched stunned as he struck the massive tongue once, twice. For but a moment it seemed to have worked as the Tyrannosaur faltered, flinching its head back somewhat, withdrawing its tongue.

When the second Rex unexpectedly swung its head against the side of the RV he slipped, and with a scream he fell towards the first animal’s intrusive maw. Again time seemed to slow to a crawl; Fluttershy watched as with wide eyes Carr outstretched an arm towards them and all others went to grab him. But as Carr screamed – again drowned out by the chaotic miasma of howls and thunders and screeching around them – he slid backwards and away from the team, suddenly disappearing upwards out of view. Finally his screams could be heard and the sound chilled Fluttershy to the core as she fell into a dumbfounded gaze, skin crawling horribly and head spinning maddeningly as she saw Carr fall to the ground outside with a sickening crack. Immediately she heard Thorne bellow Carr’s name, his own voice breaking but there was nothing anyone could do; it was too late for him. The Tyrannosaur had clamped its monstrous jaws around his legs and as he continued to screech and cry, he was flung into the air like a ragdoll as the beast again grabbed him and with a final, fatal crunch it bit down, reared its head, and swallowed him whole.

The frenetic, terrifying atmosphere suddenly came to a seriously abrupt halt. The team had stopped crying out and screeching; the Tyrannosaurs did not scream and trumpet; Fluttershy’s head no longer span with deafening thoughts. No, for the moment there was only the sound of the hammering rain and heavy breathing from the great Rexes as they took stock of the smells around them once more.

All stared, painfully emptily, as the two enormous heads again came into view, those horrible eyes boring into each and every one of them. Fluttershy found herself completely unable to form any cognitive thought – the adrenaline pumped far too strongly and shock had began to set in – but again she felt a primeval, ancient instinct: the Tyrannosaurs were not done. They had once again picked up on their chick’s scent and weren’t going to stop until they found its source.

Thorne had clearly deduced this himself. “We need to give them what they want,” he uttered, a cracking, hollow voice betraying his broken soul. Suddenly he spun, quickly, powerfully, summoning an overwhelming strength. Before anyone could react he had grabbed Dodgson, lifting him by one arm. “You.

Malcolm finally found his voice. “Jack – now wait –”

But it was too late. Thorne roared as he threw Dodgson towards the Tyrannosaurs. With a sickening crack he landed in a heap at the Rexes’ feet, scrabbling furiously in an effort to free his bound wrists and ankles.

Fluttershy felt the pit of her stomach drop and her head spin. Her eyes stung as she tried to look away but a genuine horror held her gaze at the awful, awful scene before her. She watched wide-eyed as the larger Rex slowly pressed its snout against Dodgson and he screamed as the massive animal picked up on a scent: it was that of its young, and Fluttershy felt it too.

The enormous head pulled away from Dodgson and he lay motionless, babbling incoherently, terrified eyes staring back up at the team, themselves frozen with abject horror. Even Twilight, usually able to summon leadership and action, was frozen with fear, feeling far beyond her depth.

The second Rex moved in to inspect Dodgson, and Fluttershy watched as it licked him hauntingly slowly. She could taste what it tasted; she picked up on its instinct: this is not the Tyrannosaur chick. Celestia did she feel it, and she braced for what she knew was coming next. Once again she tried to move, to look away, to do anything but it was to no avail. And so she watched, stock-still, as this second Rex scooped the yammering, screeching form of Dodgson into its maw, picked him up from the ground and – as with Carr – silenced his cries as it swallowed him whole.

A strange feeling overcame Fluttershy as she watched the massive Tyrannosaurs both look up, drawing great breaths, before both of them trained their heads off to the north. The instinctive desperation had returned, stronger than ever, only this time it was confused amongst the throb of adrenaline, the horror of the very Tyrannosaurs themselves, and the terrible, terrible deaths of Carr and Dodgson.

As a sharp, sickening pain exploded in her head she collapsed, and as her vision failed her she could just make out both the Tyrannosaurs moving on from the wrecked RV and deeper into the jungle.

Author's Note:

Hi all. Thanks for the patience - this chapter was a long time coming and rather difficult to put together. Half of it had been written for some time but the second half took some going, and it needed a lot of polishing, but I've reached a point where it feels ready to go. We're now approaching the later stages of the story, so thanks as ever for sticking with this and the next installment will be up in the future.

Enjoy!