• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 1,976 Views, 13 Comments

My Little Pony: The Land Before Time - Jongoji245



With The Great Earthquake separating their families, Apple Bloom must lead her friends to their new home, all the while avoiding being prey to Tirek.

  • ...
4
 13
 1,976

Saving Dinky

The herd of small children traveled west so far into the night that they've lost track of time. Celestia rose in the opposite direction, illuminating their current whereabouts as the edge of a mangrove swamp. Noticing there is plenty of water and food to support them, they decided to rest for now. It was about noon when Apple Bloom woke up and looked around. Noticing Cosgrove at the water's edge, she walked up to him and sat down. Watching his tears create ripples in the pond, the Threehorn sighed.

"Ya feeling all right?" Asked Apple Bloom.

"Everything's so different now." - The Longneck answered as he looked up - "I just wish things could be the same..."

"But you remember what that Hollow Horn said, not all of us arrive together in the end." Apple Bloom added.

"And in ways, she is right." - Cosgrove turned his head towards her - "Night Dancer wasn't the only one. A long time ago, my herd was attacked by Grogar." - the sauropod rose onto his feet and walked away from the pond - "Chuckles never made it."

Apple Bloom walked with him, "Look, we all have a chance to get to Canterlot Crater. We look out for each other."

Cosgrove stopped and craned his neck to the Threehorn, "You sound pretty honest."

Apple Bloom chuckled, "Thank's to Granny, It's all I know."

Using his tail as an additional leg, Cosgrove wrapped his hand as well as he could around Apple Bloom's frill. The moment was ruined when a scream is heard in the distant. The herd woke up as primitive birds flew out of the bushes to the sound of screeches. The children looked around constantly.

"What is it?" Sweetie Belle chirped.

"Sharpteeth?" Snips and Snails added as they looked around, even above and below each other.

Hearing the scream again, they realized that another Leaf Eater their age was in trouble. Following the sounds, they came to a frightening sight. Dinky, now much larger and with a more developed crest, was running as fast as she could from Chrysalis' pack. The pack itself also suffered losses from the Earthquake, for now, there are now only five Velociraptors. Five against one was not a fair fight, but the fact that the Fast Biters are just about most of their size, their eyes furrowed as Pip climbed onto Featherweight's back. The raptors surrounded Dinky, Chrysalis ready to make the first bite.

"Tally ho!!!" - The raptors turned to find the other children except Silver Spoon charging towards them. Pip pointed his finger to them - "Charge!!!"

Scootaloo ran up to one of the raptors and bopped it on the snout, causing it to chase her. Just as the beast was close, Sweetie Belle charged at it, her underdeveloped literal shoulder blades toppling the carnivore down. As the raptor tried to get up, Scootaloo kicked it in the head.

Being the tallest of the group, Featherweight extended his unbroken wing finger. waving it around like a bayonet, keeping the raptor's distance from the flightless Azhdarchid. Pip, noticing another raptor running towards them, leaped off of his friend onto the beast's snout. Turning his head a little, Featherweight noticed the Fast Biter trying to buck Pip off it.

"Yeah, Pip, ride him!" Featherweight looked back to notice the raptor lunge at him. Bounding back a few feet away, the Flyer rose up and spread his massive wings to make himself bigger, risking the pain he has on one of them.

Snips and Snails charged at the second to last raptor. Unique among Centrosaurs is that as children, they have brow horns that disappear when they grow up. Seeing that their kind's nose horn is starting to become crooked, they decided to use their brow horns while they still existed to their full advantage. Time and again, they collided their heads with the raptor, knocking the wind out of the beast. With one last shove, Snails tossed the Fast Biter away. With a chuckle, the two "Screw Horns" bumps their hands together.

With Dinky safe behind them, it was now Apple Bloom and Cosgrove against Chrysalis. The young Alamosaurus shifted to the side to wave his whip-like tail back and forth. The Fast Biter Leader charged at the group of three and leaped at the larger but mostly defenseless Longneck, barely missing the tail strike. Cosgrove brayed as he tried to get Chrysalis off his back, but the beast dug her famed toe claws deeper into his skin. Rising on her back legs, Apple Bloom snatched the raptor off him, dragging her by the tail. Chrysalis quickly turned around lashed her leg, tearing into the right hole of Apple Bloom's frill. The Velociraptor lunged at the small Threehorn, holding her head down to expose her neck. Knowing this, Apple Bloom bopped her head at the raptor. Trying again, Chrysalis constantly snapped her teeth, always missing to get a piece of flesh. At one point Apple Bloom felt the Fast Biter's arm through the hole scratching at her brow. With one quick jerk, the Chasmosaurus snapped the bone in a loud crack. Chrysalis howled, calling the attention of her pack. While in pain, Apple Bloom now had the upper hand and began shoving the raptor towards the brush. With one good push, Chrysalis fell to the ground. Apple Bloom rose on her hind legs, flailed her front legs and stamped them right at her body.

Apple Bloom turned the rest of the pack as they cowered before the victor. Unaware, that the one winged Chrysalis slowly got up.

"Y'all coming home hungry and sorry tonight!" - Apple Bloom yelled - "I'm the A to the P-"

As Apple Bloom continued, Cosgrove suddenly noticed Chrysalis leap at Apple Bloom. Just before she could sink her teeth, Chrysalis was smacked dead on in the snout by his tail, shattering several of her teeth. Apple Bloom turned around to the now limp Chrysalis breathing so shallow. The other young Leaf Eaters joined Cosgrove, Apple Bloom, and Dinky as they glared at the remaining Fast Biters. Uncertain of what to do, Cosgrove gave them their answer with a snort and fast jerk of the head. Immediately the pack ran into the bushes. The victors turned to the dinosaur they saved.

"Who are you?" Asked Sweetie Belle.

"My name's Dinky." - Answered the Parasaurolophus - "I've never seen Leaf Eaters my age take down Fast Biters."

"Well, they have been following us for quite a while," - Pip answered before turning to find Chrysalis gone - "but only when their numbers were greater."

"Dinky!" - The herd turned to find four additional young dinosaurs come out of the bushes, Button (a Wuerhosaurus) being the one calling her name - "Dinky! We came as fast as we-"

They stopped at the sight of eight additional kids in view. Dinky stood up and walked over to her friends.

"This is Button Mash." - Dinky then pointed to the Microraptor on Button's back - "Zipporwhill" - She pointed to the Thescelosaurus and the Ornithomimus - "Rumble and Boysenberry."

"Well now," - Apple Bloom continued - "Ah'm Apple Bloom and this here is my herd." - She looked at her herd, noticing something off - "Hey, where's Silver Spoon?"

The herd looked around for the Domehead when Silver Spoon walked out of the bushes and joined them.

"Where were you?" Scootaloo questioned, not receiving an answer from Silver Spoon.

"So..." - Rumble asked - "same story as us?"

"Yeah..." - Cosgrove added - "although Tirek was involved with four of us."

The newcomers gasped.

"The four of you saw Tirek?" - Said Boysenberry - "The Tirek?

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Cosgrove nodded.

"We are going to Canterlot Crater," - Sweetie Belle walked over and wrapped her arm around Button - "you're welcome to come with us."

The four new children nodded at them. With a smile, the herd once again traveled deeper into the mangrove swamp. Noticing Cosgrove's sad expression, Zipporwhill leaped off one of Button's back plates and glided onto the Longneck's head.

"What's wrong with you?" The Feather Glider asked.

Cosgrove looked down for a while, then looked back up.

"It's a long story..." - Cosgrove answered - "and a sad one at that."

"You know, this could be bad luck" - Zipporwhill responded, not noticing her carrier widening his eyes - "but a good case of bad luck."

"Yeah..." - The Longneck calmed for a moment - "Good side is Tirek is also dead.


Much further away, Diamond Tiara continued her journey deep underground. She thought she was going blind until Diamond saw a faint light. After hopping a few rocks, she continued her journey. Looking up she found another split in the earth, Celestia was just above her as cumulus clouds floated below. Not paying attention, Diamond fell down a slope and into the ravaged rubble below. As the cloud moved away from Celestia, something revealed before her.

It was Tirek... For the past few days since the Earthquake, his body laid in the exact same spot.

Diamond screamed so loud that it caused the cave to vibrate, the walls letting loose a few loose rocks. Expecting the worst, Diamond hid behind a pillar. After the echo of her scream faded, the Crown Head looked out. Tirek wasn't moving an inch. But she had noticed gravity pulling down his lips and exposed his large bone crushing teeth. Diamond curled a toothy grin and began stepping towards the limp animal. Be it Crown head or Three Horn, if Diamond could bring back a tooth from a Sharptooth this famous to her family, it would bring her to such a place of honor that she could die happy. She tried to fiddle her nose horn on Tirek's gums but could do no more than cause blood to ooze out. Giving off her disgust, Diamond then resorted to ramming the beast. After doing so a second time to no avail, Diamond moved further away, turned, scraped the ground and charged at the Rex.

But just as she reached him, Tirek's damaged eye shot free from its blood crusted lock, exposing a sphere of black and red. Diamond screamed her heart out, stopping just as her nose horn reached the eye. Quickly she ran down another path as Tirek bellowed for the first time. Slowly rising onto his hind feet, the World's Largest Sharptooth stood to his full height. Catching Diamond's scent, he looked in the direction she went, Tirek roared so loud that it could be heard out of the crevice above him.

Author's Note:

I had a little bit of "Walking with Dinosaur's 3D" vibe going on as i wrote this.