• Published 23rd Oct 2015
  • 1,206 Views, 64 Comments

Marjoram - Nekiyha



What if Twilight had another teacher in Canterlot besides Celestia?

  • ...
5
 64
 1,206

Life on the Murder Scene

Marjoram had donated his research.

It was about time, Marjoram had to admit to himself. He hadn’t worked on his research in months, and it didn’t do anypony any good if he just sat on it. It was still hard to do, though. It was a tough pill to swallow, but the move was a good step in the right direction.

If Marjoram wanted to live, really live, he needed to know his limits. He wasn’t twenty anymore, and better able to juggle the research with his job, and his obligations to Twilight and Spike. His body simply wouldn’t put up with that level of overwork anymore. Donating the research was a weight off his chest, though. As reluctant as he’d been, he wished he’d given it up sooner. Talking with Carnation had been the final push he’d needed.

It was a quiet, cool spring morning. Marjoram hadn’t slept much but felt restless, so he decided to take a walk. The cool morning air helped ease the ever-present ache in his chest, and made him feel what he imagined ‘normal’ felt like.

Sitting on a bench beside the Town Square fountain, Marjoram was happily pony-watching. Seeing ponies interact and shopkeepers ply their wares was always somewhat soothing. As much as he’d detested interacting with others, he’d always enjoyed playing a little game in his own mind. He always wanted to make an excuse for why ponies were going where they were going. Carnation had told him about the game, and they’d played it when Carnation could drag him away from his books.

Watching a pony walk by, then enter the pharmacy, Marjoram couldn’t help but smile to himself.

Yes kind pharmacist. I need my medication. I’m almost out and-oh! I’m your millionth customer!? The stallion was clearly joking, a wide smirk on his muzzle.

Oh yes, my millionth customer! I can’t believe I’ve been in business for so long! I’ll cover your meds for a full year.

Through the glass window, Marjoram could see the stallion jumping up in the air, dramatically bringing a hoof to his chest. Oh goodness me, free prescriptions for a full year!? How fantastic, the insurance company will be so happy to hear how much money they’ll be losing!

The pharmacist gestured erratically, a wide smile on her face. Quit it you! You’re not up for any prescriptions, what are you-

Marjoram’s thoughts stopped when the stallion pulled out a ring box from a saddlebag. The mare stopped stock still behind the counter. For a moment, the world was still.

Then she jumped over the counter and tackled him to the ground, delight written over her features. Marjoram sighed, looking away. It was their moment.

In the cool morning, Ponyville was mostly quiet. There was some noise, but it was muffled and regular. Doors opening, shops being swept out, and general murmuring of employees talking with bosses, or ponies ordering breakfast. All accompanied with the gentle sounds of the fountain, the water reminding him of the waterfall in Canterlot.

It was peaceful, and Marjoram could almost ignore the bright pastels everything was painted with. Marjoram sighed. It was quiet and almost perfect, and the only thing Marjoram was missing was either some company or a hot pastry. Sugarcube Corner wasn’t open and everypony Marjoram wanted to talk to was either asleep, dead, or in Canterlot.

Marjoram took a deep breath, allowing the awful sounds of his lungs fill his ears. His lungs rattled on the inhale, and wheezed on the exhale. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but sometimes it was nice to just breathe and not have to worry about the sounds of him breathing be distracting to conversations. Maker, Marjoram missed silence sometimes.

Casting a glance to the clock inlaid into Town Hall, Marjoram realized he’d been out of the library for a while. Longer than he’d been for a while. Turning back to stare at the cobbles under his feet, Marjoram felt contentment. Sometimes it was nice to just feel alone in the world, even if it was just for a little while.

Resigning himself to a quiet day spent reading with Spike, Marjoram began to make his way back to the library.

An earth-shattering scream pierced the early morning peace, and prompted Marjoram to follow the echoes into the poorer part of town. Crying allowed him to find the alley that a mare was sitting in front of, crying hard.

“Miss?” Marjoram said quietly, “Are you alright?”

A terrified jolt ran down the woman’s body, and she stared wide-eyed at him before shaking her head. Shaking, she pointed a hoof down the alleyway. Looking down the alleyway, Marjoram was shocked to see blood staining the cobblestones. Peering through the shadows, Marjoram lit up his horn.

There was a pony crumpled in the corner. A bloodstained knife laid beside her, and her eyes were wide and glassy, horror etched in her features. Tying his hair back, he stretched out with his magic, trying to see if the mare was alive. She wasn’t.

Marjoram sighed, and backtracked. The mare was still crying, trying to hug herself and gain some sort of comfort from it. Marjoram reluctantly slipped his cloak off, wrapping it around her withers, “Here. I’m going to get help. I can help move you so you don’t have to...see anything else. But you’re going to have to stay here.”

Using his magic, Marjoram lifted her and rested her against the wooden wall of a nearby house, “Here we go. What’s your name?”

“Peachy-Peachy Dream,” the mare mumbled, sniffing, drawing the cloak tighter around her body.

“I’m Marjoram. I’m going to the police now, alright? Stay here, and stay safe.”

Peachy nodded, shutting her eyes and muttering to herself under her breath.

Gotta work on my teleportation. Marjoram thought to himself, appearing in front of Ponyville’s station. Flinging the door open, he didn’t want to leave Peachy unattended, he garnered the attention of several tired looking cops.

“Something’s happened. A corpse is in an alley, and a mare discovered her.”

That brought life to the momentary tableau of tranquility in the station. Orders were shouted, and Captain Emerald Aura pushed Marjoram out of the building, “While they get prepared, you need to show me.”

“Down here,” Marjoram lead the captain to the scene, “I was walking home when I heard Peachy scream. I followed the noise, and found Peachy at the opening of the alley crying and in shock. I moved her over so she can’t see the deceased.”

“You did good. You’re the mortician right?”

“Yeah, which is probably why I’m not panicking myself right now.”

“Good work so far-oh dear.”

They’d rounded the corner into the alley, and the Captain got the full view of the corpse.

“Could be suicide, if the mare was very flexible. If not we’re looking at a murder,” Marjoram said quietly.

“Get your equipment. We’re gonna need you. I’ll talk to Peachy and hold everything down here until the boys get here. Quick now, we’re gonna need to get this done with quickly.”

Marjoram nodded, teleporting again. I never thought this could happen here.

Author's Note:

The title of this chapter is totally an MCR reference and I have no shame.

Sorry for the wait: I rewrote this chapter like three times before getting to somewhere I like it. I'm excited for what's next!