• Published 23rd Oct 2015
  • 1,205 Views, 64 Comments

Marjoram - Nekiyha



What if Twilight had another teacher in Canterlot besides Celestia?

  • ...
5
 64
 1,205

Moving to Ponyville and Tickets for the Gala

It took Twilight only two days to pack up her things, say goodbye to her parents and to the palace staff. It took Marjoram almost a week to get his things packed and transported. Almost an entire day was spent wandering the streets of Canterlot, saying goodbye to the various buildings, shop-owners, and other places Marjoram had grown attached to during his life in Canterlot.

That evening, Marjoram bought flowers, and went to the cemetery that was in the palace grounds. On autopilot, he found Carnation's grave, and lay the flowers near the base. The stone was marble, enchanted by Celestia's magic. It was of average size, but Carnation wouldn't have wanted anything big or flashy. The stone suited her, as Celestia had taken Carnations wishes to heart. The stone read:

Carnation. Beloved sister.

Those three words would never do her justice, but Celestia had had to choose, as Marjoram had practically gone catatonic after watching Carnation take her last. When Celestia had finally gotten him out of himself, months had passed. Marjoram didn't want to change what Celestia had so kindly given. Besides, it wasn't as if the engraving was wrong.

Marjoram sat down in front of the gravestone, gathering his thoughts, “So...I'm leaving Canterlot for a while. Twilight, Spike, and I are going to live in Ponyville,” Marjoram let out a bitter chuckle, “She found friends, She doesn't even know these mares, and she's changing everything in order to live near them. She's known some of them for less than a week. I'm worried, Carnation. What if something happens?”

The graveyard was silent of course, but Marjoram felt better just by voicing his concerns out loud.

“I know I'm being petty. I know I am, but this is all so sudden. Twilight wouldn't have come back to Canterlot at all if it weren't for me suggesting she she should pack. What if she hurts herself because she can't live up to the unreal expectations she has for herself? Because she's only read about friendship in books?” Marjoram's lip curled, “I think she thinks of me as family, not a friend. How sad is that, Carnation? I got another sister,” Marjoram's voice cracked.

“I think you'd like her, Twilight, I mean. At the very least, you'd have liked Shining Armour. He's Captain of the Royal Guard now, did I tell you that? Engaged too, to Celestia's cousin or something. Name's Cadence, I think. I think she used to foalsit Twilight when she was younger. I hope it works out.”

“Anyway...Celestia got her sister back...Princess Luna. She's nice enough, I suppose. Awkward, but she's been by herself on the moon for a thousand years. You can't blame her for that. If there was a way for me to get you back, I'd keep it quiet until it was a success, too. And no, I'm not going to try that again. I almost lost myself trying to bring you back, and I've learned my lesson since then...so yeah. Celestia's been happy, and the night has never been so beautiful. I wish you could see it, it's much nicer than Celestia's.”

Wind rustled through the trees that surrounded the graveyard. Marjoram sighed, bringing his head closer to the gravestone, “On the bright side, I've got my own separate building for the lab and morgue. It's right near the library too, beside a quill shop. A little odd, but I'm right near the hospital and police station too. A lot easier, if you get my meaning. I've already had a few calls, so I'm going to have some work for me when I head back.”

Marjoram was silent for a few minutes, before he heaved a sigh, “I'm scared, Carnation. I'm scared about whatever Nightmare Moon did to me. I feel...as well as I get, but when I woke up this morning, everything hurt for a few moments. It wasn't horrible, maybe it's just me overreacting to the normal stuff. I-I just hope that we can figure it out before it gets too bad. Maybe she just wanted me to taste freedom from my condition because she knew she wouldn't survive much longer.”

Marjoram stood, brushing himself off with his magic, “Anyway, I should be going. I'll be back for our birthday, alright? And Hearth's Warming. Probably a few times in between, too. I don't want Celestia thinking we've abandoned her.”

Looking around, and finding he was still alone, Marjoram caressed the top of the gravestone with a hoof, “I'll be back, I promise. Love you, sis. Sleep well,” Marjoram's voice cracked again, and he turned and left as quickly as his body allowed.

(LINE BREAK)

Setting up his lab and morgue was more painstaking than Marjoram could have guessed. It was hard enough to deal with the stares and whispers of the ponies, and even harder to deal with the small acts of vandalism that occurred as he was still unpacking, but none of it was surprising.

Being a mortician in a society that was largely peaceful, where most ponies couldn't dream of touching a corpse much less handling one for a living, where ponies didn't see the usefulness of the profession, was interesting to say the least. Working with the bodies of the dead was seen as disgusting, taboo. Being an outsider who was clearly not interested in anypony's company just compounded the problem.

However, the moment Marjoram let the populace know his doors were open, he began to work on the backlog that had built up during the time he hadn't been working. Even as he worked, he got calls from outlaying villages and towns. All of them inquiring about how quickly he could work, his rate, and how far away the clients would have to be before he turned them down.

Soon enough, he made a name for himself. He was reputable in many professional circles: doctors, police, and funeral homes all praised him for the work he did. Everypony else was soon terrified of him for various reasons. Some said he was evil, killing ponies then earning money by giving out false causes of death. Some said he was from somewhere exotic, despite his lack of accent, and that false fact somehow made it okay to fear and hate him.

Canterlot was a big enough city where the ponies didn't often care for prejudice. Ponies were brought up multicultural communities. But in Ponyville, that was rarely put into practice, as most ponies were from Ponyville or the surrounding area. The vast majority of the populace were Earth Ponies, then Unicorns, and there was a smattering of Pegasi. Less than 300 ponies were from farther away than Canterlot, or from outside Equestria itself. It was annoying, but Marjoram remembered what it felt like to be one of two unicorns in an entire village. It would be a lie to say it didn't bother him, but it was a situation he was used to.

One morning, almost two weeks after Princess Luna's return, Marjoram got the automatic letter that he received every year. He knew it was automatic, because unlike the invitation he received every year, the 'sorry you didn't attend' letter wasn't written by Celestia herself.

We here at the Canterlot Palace extend our best wishes to Marjoram, as he failed to attend the Grand Galloping Gala last night. Marjoram snorted, tossing the letter in the trash. The yearly event occurred a few weeks after the Summer Sun Celebration, and after attending his first one at age 17, Marjoram had declined every year since. The Gala was full of pretentious ponies, where you couldn't hear yourself think, much less have a meaningful conversation with anypony. Heaven forbid you speak above a whisper on the dance floor, and everywhere else was busy and/or loud. When talking above a whisper was a strain on the lungs, it was sheer stupidity to go to the Gala, where no one could hear you at all.

However, that didn't mean Celestia wasn't going to invite him anyway. Marjoram blew a strand of hair away his eye. The invitation will come in the next day or so, then. Why she sends invitations so early, I'll never guess.

Marjoram shuffled through some paperwork, absentmindedly filling some of them out. I've just got that pie-related death left, then. Probably drowned in that vat of pie filling. I've got to check for defensive wounds, and clean the pie filling off of him...ugh. Let's hope Applejack doesn't want me to eat any more pie for a while.

The office door opened, allowing Twilight entry. She held a basket in her teeth, and a smile on her face. She set the basket on the desk, “How's everything going? Finish the backlog yet?”

“Almost. Just the pie filling accident one left.”

Twilight nodded, “Do you want to join the girls and I for a picnic near Fluttershy's?”

Marjoram cast a glance at the file of the dead pony, then nodded, “Yes please. This one isn't going to be fun to do. I can use a break.”

Twilight smiled wider, “Good. I've got enough sandwiches for everyone, so you should be good.”

Marjoram nodded, “Yeah. Let me grab my cloak, and we'll go.”

(LINE BREAK)

When Marjoram and Twilight got to the picnic spot, everypony was already there waiting. Rainbow looked annoyed at Marjoram's attendance, but the others didn't seem to openly mind.

“Spike beg off?” Marjoram asked softly.

“Yeah,” Twilight smiled, “When I left he was looking at some cake recipes. He found a book about recipes that use gems.”

“That'll be nice,” Marjoram replied. He gave a nod in greeting to Twilight's friends before making himself comfortable. Rarity sat to his left, and Twilight to his right.

“How's business?” Applejack asked cautiously, unsure of what to expect.

Marjoram shrugged, “About as good as it gets. I'm almost done with the backlog, and I haven't gotten any calls from anywhere else.”

“Pardon me for asking,” Rarity said daintily, pouring seven cups of tea, and using her magic to give a delicate teacup to everpony, “but does this often happen? Backlogs, then nothing, I mean?”

“Sometimes,” Marjoram replied evenly, “Usually with group accidents, murders, and the like. It's rare I have a large number of single casualties like I did this week.”

Applejack nodded, sipping at her tea, “The farm's been good,” she offered. Marjoram sipped at his own tea, unsure of what to say.

Rainbow let out a dramatic sigh, “Are we going to eat or what? I'm starving.”

A flurry of activity and magic as everypony served themselves some lunch. Marjoram watched in both fascination and disgust at Pinkie Pie smothered her daisy sandwich in hot sauce, then swallowing it whole.

Twilight sure knows how to pick them. Marjoram noted idly, eating the sandwich absentmindedly. Silence fell as the seven ponies ate for a few minutes.

“Do you ever actually meet somepony who's alive in your line of work?” Rainbow asked brazenly.

Rarity choked on her tea, and Marjoram offered Rainbow a sardonic smile, “Of course I do. Sometimes I meet family and friends. I speak with the police, and sometimes the hospital staff. It all depends on who wants the autopsy done.”

“How gross is it?”

“Not very,” Marjoram replied blandly, finishing off the sandwich. He took a muffin, clearly made by Applejack or one of her family members, “with the right training. I've trained for this since I was eight.”

“Your parents let you train to become a mortician?” Rarity asked, her eyes wide.

“Oh no. They were long gone by then, and Kafir was off on one of his paying stints of work. Celestia didn't see the harm in it, so I learned.”

“You cut a body up when you were eight?!” Rainbow exclaimed.

Marjoram sighed, counting to ten in his head, “No. I didn't. I didn't even see a dead body until I was ten. I didn't handle anything until I was thirteen. And that was only parts, to make sure I had the right magical touch for the job. I didn't handle a body by myself until I was...sixteen, seventeen?”

The look on Rainbow's face was a mixture of curiosity and disgust. Twilight cleared her throat pointedly, and Rarity closed her mouth. Applejack began to eat again, and Pinkie nodded vigorously.

“Is it your special talent?” Pinkie asked.

“No. I just happen to be good at it through years of study and work.”

“So, what's your special talent? If you don't mind me asking, of course,” Fluttershy muttered into her teacup.

“Magic,” Marjoram replied, “I found out that magic was what I was supposed to do when I was very young.”

“What happened?” Pinkie asked, slurping down another cup of tea, and picking up her third muffin from the basket.

“I almost burnt down my house, with myself and my family inside,” Marjoram admitted slowly, “By accident, of course.”

“You told me about this!” Twilight said brightly, “When you first became my teacher. When I killed that plant.”

Marjoram nodded, “Yes. It was the first time I performed magic on purpose. It was exhilarating, and not scary until after I realized what I'd done.”

“Your family was alright, right?” Applejack asked.

“Yes. They died later,” Marjoram replied flatly.

An uneasy silence fell upon the group. Marjoram sighed through his nose.

“If you must know, my father died in an accident a few weeks later. My mother starved to death shortly after.”

“How?” Rainbow asked, face twisted in horror, “Didn't you have any food?”

Marjoram shrugged, pushing the remains of the muffin away, his mouth tasting of ashes, “We couldn't get her to eat after father died. She just wouldn't, no matter what I tried.”

“How old were you?” Applejack breathed.

“Just turned six,” Marjoram replied quietly, downing the last of his tea, “I don't suppose we can change the subject?”

There was a beat of silence, before Pinkie Pie jumped up from her spot, a huge smile on her face, “I think these muffins are the best Granny Smith have ever made!”

Rarity nodded in agreement, “Yes. They're exquisite.”

Marjoram nodded, pouring himself another cup of tea. He downed it in almost one go, looked up at the sun, and got to his feet, “I hate to cut this short, ladies, but I have one more autopsy to go before I'm done. I can probably get it done before dinner, Twilight. Do you want me to pick up some more gems for Spike? I can probably bake with him tomorrow if you're busy.”

Twilight smiled, “I think he'd like that! Go on, go get the job done.”

Marjoram nodded, “Thank you for having me. I hope the rest of your picnic goes well.”

Pinkie shoved a muffin at Marjoram, “Here! Take this with you!”

Marjoram used his magic to float the muffin close to him, “Why are you Ponyville ponies so invested in getting me to eat so much?”

“Because you're so darned skinny!” Applejack teased.

Marjoram had to remind himself that they didn't really know anything about his condition yet. That they didn't know how hard it was to eat one meal a day much less anything else. Marjoram sighed, and left, walking back down the packed dirt road back to Ponyville.

They have to know what's wrong with you by now. They had days alone with Twilight. Who knows what she could have told them. The niggling voice that plagued Marjoram constantly taunted. Marjoram had major trust issues, and most of the time Marjoram could beat back the criticism he often doled out upon himself and others with relative ease. However, with the move to Ponyville, and all the stress of Nightmare Moon, the move to Ponyville, and setting up the morgue, had made it more difficult to keep his insecurities at bay.

Marjoram shook his head vigorously to clear it, picking up the pace a little. If I can get away for a bit, maybe my head will be clearer for tomorrow. It's been a while since I've spent some time alone with Spike. Maybe we'll make a day of it. I can teach him Carnation's recipe for chocolate/peanut butter cookies!

Marjoram felt lighter at the thought already. I'll pick up the ingredients on the way home from the morgue. Then Spike and I can figure out what we want to make, and we can grab whatever is missing in the morning.

Marjoram made it back to the morgue, and finished the autopsy in record timing. The sun was barely beginning to set, and though Marjoram didn't even want to go near pie in the near future, made his way to the market. There, he picked up gems, and ingredients for the chocolate/peanut butter cookies. After that, he headed to the library.

Spike was watching as Twilight cooked dinner, asking questions as he did so. Spike wanted to learn how to use the stove, but Twilight was still unsure. Marjoram figured that Spike would be very good at it; Spike had had an interest in food and its preparation since just before his eighth birthday. He was quickly approaching his tenth birthday, and Marjoram couldn't see the harm in letting him use the oven when there were adults nearby.

Twilight brightened up when she saw Marjoram, “Hey! How'd the last autopsy go?”

Marjoram shrugged, setting the bags of ingredients on the counter, “About as good as it can go. It was just an accident. Looks like he just slipped on that walkway, fell into that vat of pie filling and couldn't get out. Poor bastard.”

“Language!” Twilight chastised, pointing at Marjoram with the wooden spoon she was using.

Spike giggled, and Marjoram rolled his eyes. He sat on the stool beside Spike, “What are you making?”

“Pasta!” Spike exclaimed excitedly, “She's going to show me how to strain the noodles.”

Marjoram nodded, “What are you doing tomorrow, Spike?”

Spike tapped a claw against his chin, “Hmm… I dunno. What are we doing tomorrow, Twilight?”

Twilight giggled, stirring the sauce with her wooden spoon, “Not much, Spike.”

Spike looked to Marjoram, with curiosity shining in his eyes.

“Do you want to bake with me tomorrow?” Marjoram asked, “I thought we could try one of the gem recipes you found-”

“Really?!” Spike clasped his paws together, eyes wide, and a huge smile tugging on his face, “Of course I would!”

Marjoram nodded, “Alright then. We'll make a day of it. Figure out which recipe you want to do, and we can get anything we're missing tomorrow morning.”

Twilight shook her head, but the slight smile playing at the corners of her mouth betrayed her amusement, “Are you eating?” She asked Marjoram, setting the colander in the sink.

Marjoram shook his head, “No. If I'm baking tomorrow, I'm just going to drink my tea and go to bed.”

Twilight nodded, “Alright. Spike this is how you strain the pasta, see?”

“Oh. That's really simple.”

“Told you it was,” Twilight giggled, “Give me a minute, Marjoram, and I can get out of your way so you can make tea.”

A few minutes later, Marjoram had his tea, and was sitting in bed reading. He didn't fall asleep for a very long time.

(LINE BREAK)

Marjoram had been having a good morning. Yes, he'd woken up to a full body ache, but that wasn't unheard of. Spike had left him a letter saying that Applejack needed help, and that he'd be back by lunchtime. As Marjoram had made his morning tea, a package came from Sea Shores.

The package contained a few of her cheese croissants, and a long letter detailing how she had been, how the new staff was working out, and how much she missed his midnight visits. Marjoram couldn't help but smile softly.

Sea Shores had been just starting out as a cook when Marjoram and Carnation had moved into the palace. She had been in her late teens, and couldn't stand by and watch the twins go without some type of mother figure. She'd gotten close to Carnation first, then Marjoram through patience and sweets. When Carnation had died, Sea Shores had been the last pony Marjoram had viewed as family beyond Celestia.

After catching up on Sea Shores' news, Marjoram sat down to write a reply, and had gotten almost half-way through when he heard the commotion in the library. He abandoned his letter in favour of going downstairs, and finding Fluttershy and Twilight deep in conversation.

“Yes. We are just doing this for the ticket,” Fluttershy stated simply, smiling a little.

Twilight let out an exasperated groan, “No, no! I'm not accepting any favours until after I've made my decision!” Twilight opened the library door, “So I'm going to ask you to leave.”

A rain of confetti came from outside, and Marjoram heard Pinkie, and a bunch of strangers, yell, “Surprise!”

Hooves reached into the library, pulling Twilight into the street. A circle of ponies were holding Twilight aloft, occasionally throwing her into the air.

Twilight is my bestest friend, whoopee whoopee-”Marjoram watched in horror as Pinkie began to sing.

“Pinkie,” Twilight stated blandly.

She's te cutest, smartest, all-around best pony, pony-”

“Pinkie,” Twilight repeated, a little more emphatically.

I bet if I throw a super-duper fun party, party-

“Pinkie,” Twilight looked ready to give up on all of ponykind.

She'll give her extra ticket to the Gala to me!”

“PINKIE!” Twilight shouted. The ponies that had been tossing her into the air moved away, sending Twilight to the ground.

Marjoram turned away from the scene to face Fluttershy, “What in the hell?-”

“Marjoram!” Spike ran into the room, panting for breath, “There...you...are..”

“Where else would I be?” Marjoram asked, “I told you I was staying here!”

Spike heaved for breath, reaching into one of two little pouches that were in his scales (Twilight thought that they were there for adolescent dragons to carry their stash of jewels), and pulled out a scroll. Clearly it was from Celestia.

“Ah. The invitation for the Gala, I presume?” Marjoram stopped, turning to Fluttershy, an idea ingiting in his head, “You've got to be kidding me.”

“What?”

“That's what this is about? Twilight got invited to her first Gala, didn't she?”

“She did, and they've been fighting over her spare ticket since then-”

“Why didn't you just write a letter to Celestia?” Marjoram let out a groan, “You've got to be kidding me-”

A series of screams sounded from outside, and Marjoram made it to the door just in time to see Twilight run away from a mob of Ponyville citizens, “Holy shit.”

“Language!” Fluttershy scolded. When met with his deadpan glare, she shuffled her wings nervously, “uhm..please?”

“Is she going to be okay?” Spike asked nervously, looking outside, “How long do you think its going to take her to lose them?”

“I don't know, Spike.”

Suddenly, the other four Element bearers appeared, pushing passed Marjoram in their rush.

“Is Twilight here?!” Pinkie asked excitedly, looking around, “Has she made a decision yet?”

“She's being chased by a mob of ponies, and you're going to just sit here and wait?” Marjoram asked, mystified.

“Did you see it out there?” Rainbow demanded, “it's crazy!”

“Twilight is out in that! She's the focus of that mob!” Marjoram pressed, “Aren't you supposed to be her friends?!”

“We are her friends!”

“Then why are you acting like a bunch of spoiled fillies? This is ridiculous! I don't know what you think the Gala is, but I can tell you it's not what everypony expects-”

“You've been there!?” Rarity looked scandalized, “How?”

“I was the first student Celestia had taken on in almost two-hundred years!” Marjoram spat, “Twilight was the second, and was less than fifty years after me. Do you not realize how rare that is? Now, if you'd stopped bickering-”

“and offering favours,” Spike interjected.

“I would have written Celestia the second Spike got back here. Celestia is not as unapproachable as everypony believes,” Marjoram stared at the assembled ponies and shook his head, “Maker...”

“How do you know the Princess would do anything about it?”

“Because she continues to invite me year after year, even when I've told her repeatedly that I'm not going to go,” Marjoram opened the scroll, and took the two tickets that had been placed in it. He threw them to the library ground, shoved through the stunned ponies to reach the door, and stopped for a second, “There. More useless things you can bicker over. C'mon Spike, we've got to see if we can help Twilight!”

Spike followed Marjoram out the door, sniffing, he pointed to Sugarcube Corner, “That way!” the pair were off, leaving the library door open, with five stunned ponies inside.

(LINE BREAK)

Spike knew Marjoram wouldn't last for much longer. The sun had just set, and the damp, summer air was beginning to set off Marjoram's cough. Spike sighed, tugging carefully on Marjoram's cloak.

Marjoram stumbled to a stop, muffling a cough with a hoof, “What?”

“I can't smell her anymore,” Spike admitted quietly, “I don't think we're going to find her out here,” besides, Spike's legs burned with exertion.

Marjoram sighed, nodding reluctantly, “I suppose so… Back to the library?”

Spike nodded, following beside Marjoram's steady, slow tread for a minute, “Um...can I hop onto your back?”

Marjoram blinked, stopping again. He looked down at Spike, his gold eyes showing little of his feelings, “I'm sorry, Spike. Didn't think...hop on.”

Spike, carefully, got onto Marjoram's cloth covered back, feeling Marjoram's bones through his scales. As uncomfortable as the ride was going to be, Spike's legs thanked him for the break. It was unsettling, too, to feel the vibrations that shook Marjoram's body every time he breathed, and to feel how the coughing involved most of his body.

Spike couldn't have been happier when he spotted the library. Most of the lights were off, and it looked like most of the shutters were closed too.

“I swear if she's in there,” Marjoram rasped.

“I'll overcook her breakfast every other Tuesday when she finally lets me cook on her own.”

“If I...fast track the...process, I expect you to...uphold that,” Marjoram breathed.

Within a few steps of the library door, Spike hopped off of Marjoram's back, and scampered to the door, opening it for Marjoram. Marjoram entered the library, and was faced with six ponies. Marjoram felt irritation build.

“See?” Marjoram looked down at Spike, then gestured to the ponies, “Now they're friends again...get ready to send that letter.”

Spike nodded, hurrying off to find a quill, some parchment, and a pot of ink.

“Are you alright?!” Twilight asked, stepping forward cautiously. Her fur and mane were mussed, like she'd done a lot of work and hadn't been able to fix them yet, “I was so worried.”

“Spike's heavier...than you let on,” Marjoram avoided the question.

“You carried him?!” Twilight asked, dumbfounded.

Marjoram rolled his eyes, “We were out...all afternoon.”

“You seriously expect us to believe that? Twilight just said she didn't see you guys all afternoon!” Rainbow spat.

Clearly still angry that the misanthrope was able to teach them something anypony with a sibling should know. Marjoram mused. Fighting over each others' things is stupid, and that sometimes you can't go to events you want to go to because you weren't invited.

“Ask Spike if you don't...believe me,” Marjoram wheezed, clearing his throat and triggering a coughing fit. No blood. That's a win.

Rainbow rolled her eyes, but said nothing. Marjoram narrowed his eyes at her, “What is your problem with me?”

“What's your problem with everypony else?” Rainbow demanded.

Marjoram sighed, “None of your business.”

Rainbow let out an exasperated yell, “You've got to be kidding me! Seriously? You're not going to say-”

Marjoram shook his head, coughing some more, “Twi-”

“I'll get your tea,” Twilight trotted off to the kitchen, leaving Marjoram and the others alone.

Marjoram sat down, focusing on the shallow breaths he could take without irritating his lungs. The sounds of his breathing were ragged and wet, vibrating through his lungs

“What's the matter?” Rarity asked after a moment of tense silence, “You mentioned you were sick before.”

Marjoram shook his head again, “Long story...”

“Can we, uh, do anything to help?” Applejack asked hesitantly.

Marjoram shook his head, wincing as the whole body ache he'd woken up with escalated. Twilight came back, a steaming mug held in the grasp of her magic. She set it down in front of him, and with shaking hooves, Marjoram began to sip at the hot liquid, breathing in the steam. The cobwebs loosened, and Marjoram began to drink in earnest, able to breathe.

“Are you sure you're alright?” Twilight asked hesitantly.

“I will be,” Marjoram replied quietly, “Just tired.”

“How are you tired?” Rainbow asked, “You were only out for a few hours-”

“And didn't you work in the morgue all day a few days ago?” Applejack interjected, “What makes this so different?”

Marjoram sighed, “Magic versus physical work. I'm underoxygenated most of the time, so doing things physically is a lot harder than magically.”

“Huh?”

“I don't get enough air,” Marjoram stated flatly, downing the last of the tea, “I'm going to bed.”

“Why? It's so early.”

“Because I'm sick,” Marjoram replied tersely, “and sick people need rest.”

“That's bullshit!” Rainbow's use of a swear word froze Marjoram in place; he had yet to hear anypony in Ponyville swear once.

“How would you know?!” Marjoram spat, his horn sparking, “Do you-” his breath caught in his throat, and he began to cough harshly. His lungs burned and his throat felt like it was on fire, and soon enough, the metallic taste of blood was on his tongue.

Twilight clenched her eyes shut, focusing hard. Magic built up around her horn, soon brightening with power. She channeled the spell into Marjoram, who felt the cobwebs ease in his lungs. Twilight smiled brightly, “Did it work?”

Marjoram nodded, breathing steadily. After a moment, he relaxed marginally. Using his magic, he took off his cloak, hanging it up, and stood on shaking legs. He began to walk to the basement, but heard Spike let out an all consuming burp from the other room.

Spike ran in, holding a scroll, “I wrote Princess Celestia! She wrote back.”

Marjoram sat down again, curious as to what Celestia had said.

Spike unrolled the scroll, eyes scanning quickly, “'Why didn't you just ask for the extra tickets in the first place?'”

“Told you,” Marjoram said quietly.

Spike held out six tickets to the others, and Twilight took them and distributed them amongst her friends. There was a pause, and Spike burped forcefully, another scroll appearing, “'One for Spike, and one for Marjoram.'”

Marjoram sighed, taking his ticket with magic, “Figures. I suppose I've got to go now,” Marjoram shook his head, standing once more, “Good night.”

As Marjoram reached the bottom of the stairs, on shaking, weak legs, he heard the girls (and Spike) leave to get dinner. He shut the door behind him, stuffing the ticket into a drawer of his night table. He collapsed onto his bed, and was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

Author's Note:

I'm still not sure how I feel about this chapter. I might come back later and break it into two chapters, depending on how the rest of this story goes. I don't know.

Anyway, please let me know what you think!