• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,525 Views, 510 Comments

Age of Kings - A bag of plums



When King Sombra took over the Crystal Empire, one pony went into another world to seek help. Featuring the ancestors of the cast of Equestria Girls, this is the account of her quest in the human world.

  • ...
9
 510
 1,525

PreviousChapters Next
22 - The Hero's Return

After the journey back to Canterlot, the first thing Emerald Edge did was head over to the bathhouse and run herself a nice, cool bath. She had invited Posey to join her, but the archer had politely declined, instead offering to get them a bite to eat. Apple Bean and Golden Nugget had been extremely overjoyed when they saw Honeygold among the group, swooping in to do what all loving parents do. After that, they had followed after Spectrum, likely heading to the squire’s place. Moon Tide had opted to head to the Mages’ Tower to conduct some research, so she disappeared quickly. King Dawn Saber had retreated to his quarters, worn out from using the artifact, so he said he would talk to Emerald tomorrow.

The knights and guards had went on, escorting the druids over to the dungeons, leaving Emerald by herself, so here she was. She gently peeled off the bandages to inspect her wound, which was still red over her green skin, but there was nothing more she could do now, but rest.

“Hi!” Emerald recognized Sonata’s voice. The muse had waltzed into the bathhouse, quickly shedding her clothes and hopping into the bath next to Emerald. “I heard you did something heroic today!”

“Oh, hello Sonata.” The spymaster waved. “You already heard what happened? Word sure travels fast. We only just got back from the forest.”

“Us muses are always the first to know things,” Sonata said, ducking her head under the water. “Comes with the territory.”

“Really?” Emerald picked up the soap and began rubbing it along an arm. “I didn’t think a muse would get to know so much about the happenings outside. How?”

There were a series of bubbles from under the water’s surface. Moments later, Sonata surfaced with a huge gasp. She pinched the bridge of her nose.

“Nope. Still can’t breathe under water.”

Emerald wore an amused face. “You used to be able to? Or did you find a way to do so?”

“We used to- I mean, uh, no. I was just trying it out. See if anything changed.”

“Hmm…” Emerald decided to go back to bathing. She didn’t quite understand what Sonata was saying, but she didn’t want to offend her.

“So, how was it?” Sonata asked, grabbing a bar of soap and working up a lather. “By all accounts you saved the day, but I wanna hear the details from you.”

“Well, really, I simply acted on instinct…” Emerald washed her shiny turquoise hair. “I saw what the king’s sword could do and when the mercenaries were looking to give us trouble, I did what I thought was helpful and used his sword to defeat them. A truly magnificent weapon. Now I know what the artifacts are capable of…”

“Sorry, what?” Sonata smiled and dug a finger into her ear, which had been covered with soap. “I heard instinct.”

“Yes,” Emerald chuckled. “I acted on instinct and used the king’s sword to save the day.”

“So it really is one of those artifacts from-from your world, yes?”

“I believe so,” Emerald nodded as she began rinsing her hair. “The way it felt in my hands… It felt like I was home. I don’t know how to describe it other than that.”

“So have you found a way home yet?” Sonata asked, blowing bubbles from soap around her mouth. “I mean, you have to, right?”

“Yes, I do, but I haven’t found one, Sonata. It opens once every thirty moons and I’ve lost count how long I’ve already been here. I’m afraid unless I sit at the rock in the lake everyday, I won’t know when it’ll open again. That is if it’ll open again. The portal I used on the other side, it broke. I’m not sure if I can return home the same way.”

“Oh.” Sonata looked a little put out. “I, uh, was hoping we’d be able to visit your world. You seem nice enough.”

“You would like it, I think,” Emerald smiled. “Ponies sing everywhere anytime.”

“I know,” Sonata said morosely. “Let’s just say we both know what it is to be homesick, Emerald.”

The conversation petered out and Sonata was soon drying and dressing herself.

“Well, I’ve got to get back to the castle. You have a good time in the bath, Emerald!”

After putting her cloak on, the muse waved and disappeared outside.

Emerald continued to take her time, but when she remembered Posey was waiting for her, she quickly washed up and got out to dry herself. She checked her wounds again before putting her smallclothes on. The smaller ones had healed up nicely, but the big one on her side was still red and looked like it could tear open any minute.

Emerald shook that thought out of her head and replaced the bandages, hoping it would get better in the coming days. When she was done getting dressed, she left the bathhouse and proceeded back towards her home. It had been a long day with the tournament matches and Honeygold’s rescue and it felt like ages since she had gotten some rest time.

When she threw open the door, she sniffed at the air, noticing something that smelt really good.

Posey sat at the table, stirring something in a cauldron. “Oh, welcome home, Emerald. I got some ingredients from the market and ended up making some stew instead. I know you don’t eat meat, so do not worry, it’s all vegetables.”

“You’re very kind, Posey.” Emerald settled down into a chair. The smell of the stew wafted through the air and up Emerald’s nose, making her stomach growl with hunger. It reminded her that she hadn’t eaten all day.

The archer ladled out two steaming bowls, and sat down across from Emerald at the table. Without preamble, both women began to eat, with Emerald murmuring over how good it was.

“You’re a really good cook, Posey. Did you learn from someone?”

Posey blew on her bowl of stew to cool it down. “My mother. She raised me alone, after my father died when I was two.”


“I’m sorry,” Emerald said, wincing inside.

“It’s okay. I don’t remember him anyway. My mother taught me everything, how to cook, how to shoot, how to live in harmony with the animals.”

“Live in harmony, you said?” Emerald looked at her. “So you also learnt to talk to animals from her?”

“Well, no. That’s just something I learned how to do living in the forest for so long.”

“That’s interesting…” Emerald took another spoonful of vegetable stew. It was delightful. “So where’s your mother now? How come you’re by yourself?”

Posey pulled at her bandana and looked into her bowl. “When I was nine, there was a raid on our village, just north at the edge of the Shetlands. My mother told me to run to the forest, to get as far as I could. When I got back… Everyone was gone. From that day on, the forest became my home, Emerald.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that, Posey, I can’t imagine what it’s like to lose your family like that…” Emerald reached over and put a hand on the archer’s shoulder.

Posey nodded and pulled off her bandana, holding it in her hands. “This bandana is all I have left of her. She gave it to me when I hit my first bullseye. This is all I have to remember her by…”

“Well, she must’ve been a great person if she raised you to care for animals, Posey.”

“Yeah, she was…” Then Posey looked up and smiled before picking up her bowl. “But don’t worry, Emerald. I’m fine. It’s been a long time since I started living in the forest. I can manage.”

“Oh, I’m sure I don’t need to worry about you, Posey. You’re certainly more skilled than I. And you’ve been living by yourself for so long. You’re the last person I have to worry about,” Emerald finished with a smile before gulping down more of the stew. It really was an excellent stew; Posey certainly knew her stuff.

Soon, both of them had finished their meal and sat back, feeling pleasantly full. Emerald found her mind drifting back to the battle earlier that day.

“I wonder what King Dawn Saber wants to see me for,” Emerald pondered.

“Right, he did say that, hmm?” Posey stacked the empty bowls together. “Maybe he wants to make you a knight, Emerald.”

“M-Me? A knight? That would be something… that is, if he’s not just calling me to reprimand me for stealing his sword.”

“I’m sure he’s not going to toss you into the dungeon or anything,” Posey said. “I mean, you did save the day with that light and flying…”

“Yeah, I did, didn’t ?” Emerald thought back to when she had held Excalibur in her hands, and how natural it had felt. She wanted to hold it again, to wield the blade against King Sombra.

“Well, think about it, Emerald. After such a heroic act, I’m sure the king will want to have you around to defend the kingdom. All my years alive, I’ve never seen anything like what you did. You truly are from another world.”

“What, you didn’t believe me until I did that?” Emerald replied jokingly.

“Uh, I-I mean… No, that’s not it…” Posey blushed. She usually seemed to do that when she made mistakes or when she was around Sir Ganeighn. “An-anyway, what are you going to do now? You still need to get home to save your empire.”

“I know, but I can’t go back empty-handed,” Emerald frowned at the table. “Now that I’ve seen what I can do with an artifact, that just drives me to try and find another one. I hope there are others, or I could be in for a very long wait.”

“Umm…” Posey pulled at her bandana. “If it’s not too… too ridiculous for you, umm, I could always help you steal the king’s sword. I mean, if the needs arises for it!” The archer waved her hands innocently.

“No, I could never do that, Posey.” Emerald shook her head and looked up. “I couldn’t ruin the king’s rule here. Besides, we would become outlaws. I mean, real outlaws. And what would the knights think of you then? You don’t want Sir Ganeighn to think badly of you, do you?”

Posey became interested in a groove on the wooden table. “It-it doesn’t matter if he thinks badly of me, r-right? I mean, they all did until you showed up, Emerald. Because of you, I’m able to sit here in Canterlot with you today. Because of you, I have new friends.”

Emerald rubbed the back of her head. “Yeah, well... You’re not the only one who’s made friends since arriving here.”

“That’s right, you’re fairly new here, aren’t you? To this world,” Posey chuckled lightly. “And yet, you’ve already accomplished so much. What’s going to happen when you return home? Will you come back here from time to time?”

“If there is a way back home, sure I’ll come back to visit. I’ve grown strangely attached to the people and humans here,” Emerald smiled. “Maybe you can come to my world too.”

“I would love to, Emerald.”

“Then it’s settled,” Emerald nodded. “Once I find a way home and defeat Sombra, you can come over and see my world! Of course, you’ll be a pony. I wonder what kind you will be…”

“What kind?” Posey asked.

“Oh, you know, earth ponies, unicorns, pegasi. I was a pegasus myself.”

“I remember you saying something about having wings… So a pegasus has wings. What are the other two?”

“Hmm? You don’t know?” Then Emerald remembered, they seemed to only have earth ponies here. “Well, unicorns have horns and can use magic. Earth ponies are like all your horses here. Strong and sturdy.”

“This is some world you’re from, Emerald.” Posey stared at her wide-eyed. “Now I really want to go over there and see what it all looks like. It’s like a world out of a child’s story book.”

“Eh, the novelty kind of wears off when you’re born and raised there. Besides, this world looks like the child’s book to me, remember? But, well… You humans all look the same. I mean, there are no really big differences between you all. No one here has horns or wings or tails. They’re all just… humans. Right?”

“You’re right about that, Emerald,” Posey answered. “Besides having some of us larger than others or smaller or thinner or wider, we’re all just the same.”

“I guess that’s what makes your world seem like a child’s book,” Posey shrugged. “You have differences between your ponies.”

“Mhmm. Well, thanks for spending some time with me after the long day, Posey. I’m glad I got to know you more today. You’re a great human. Much better than myself now...” Then Emerald looked away with a slightly disappointed look.

“What’s wrong?” Posey sensed the change in the air.

The spymaster sighed. “I’ve… I’ve been having conflicting thoughts, Posey. “I know my duty is to return home and serve the Crystal Empire, but… but then I met all of you. And Sir Morn too…”

“What about Sir Morn?” Posey asked. “Did something happen?”

“I… I admitted my feelings to him, Posey.” Emerald’s cheeks turned red. “And he admitted his feelings for me too.”

“Oh, wow, that’s great, Emerald!” Posey raised her quiet voice a little, unable to hide her excitement. “But what’s wrong with that? You don’t seem as excited as I am for you.”

“I am, I’m happy that he feels the same way, but now, I can’t decide, Posey. I know I have to return home, but a part of me doesn’t want to. It wants me to stay here with all of you. It wants me here in my new home. I just… I don’t know what to do.”

“Well, I don’t know if I have the right to tell you, Emerald, but if you feel your home is now here, then why don’t you stay here? With us? You’re good company, you know?” Posey finished with a sheepish smile. “I know saving your kingdom is important too, but after all that, why don’t you come back? Umm, you know, to be here.”

“I’d like that,” Emerald said softly. “I’ve come to like this world, even without my wings or its unusual kind of magic.”

“Well, then there you have it,” Posey grinned. “Once you find a way home and grab an artifact, and after you beat that dreadful usurper, then come on back. We’ll be happy to have you back.”

“Thank you, Posey.” Emerald got up and gave the archer a hug. “I think I know what I want to do now. Thank you so much.”

“Hey, you’ve helped me out tremendously as well, Emerald, and I won’t forget it. You’ve done so much for all of us in your time here.”

“I guess…” Emerald scratched her head. “It’s good to have you around, Posey.” She yawned and stretched her arms up. “I think we better call it a night. The tournament and the rescue have really taken everything I have today. Why don’t you stay the night? You can have my bed like last time.”

“Oh no, I couldn’t take your bed again.” Posey raised her hands. “I’m used to the forest, I’ll just be up on one of your supports. See?” The pink haired archer pointed up to the ceiling supports, beams just under the roof.

“You sure?”


“It’s not a problem. This will already be more comfortable than the forest branches. I’ll do fine.”

As she changed out of her armor, Emerald watched as Posey scaled up the wall, kicking off the wooden surface and grabbing a beam with both hands, hauling herself up into a sitting position. Adjusting herself, Posey leaned back against the support and rested her head on her hands. Emerald really respected her for being able to do things she couldn’t, like climbing things. Perhaps one day she was going to ask the archer to teach her.

When she was done, Emerald fell on her bed, her eyelids already heavy, and pulled up the sheets around herself. “Goodnight, Posey. Sleep well.”

“Goodnight, Emerald.” the archer said and pulled her bandana down over her eyes.


“Come, you must sit, dear.” Queen Sunlight Radiance took over from the knights and held the king up with her strength alone. It was no new news that the queen wasn’t your average high classed woman. “You may go. I shall care for him here.”

“Of course, your majesty.” Sir Morn Dread put a hand to his chest and bowed. “Have a pleasant night.”

Then he and Sir Ganeighn were off, closing the doors behind them.

When they were gone, the queen walked Dawn Saber over to their bed and set him down gently. “You must be tired. You didn’t need to go out today, dear. The knights would’ve handled it.”

“No, no…” the king said. “The druids are not to be meddled with, Sunlight. I needed to be there… If not for Excalibur, we might have lost.”

“Yes, I did hear something about Excalibur being used in the forest. You’re not pushing yourself too hard, are you, my sweet?”

“Don’t worry about me, I can handle myself… See? I’m much better than I was this evening…” Dawn Saber smiled at his beautiful wife. “Excalibur drains my strength in exchange for its great power. Sacrifice is needed to win certain battles, my dear.”

“That’s not all I heard,” Queen Sunlight reached up and took off her tiny crown. “That young lady Emerald Edge. She did something today, didn’t she? That’s why you asked her to see you tomorrow, isn’t it?”

“She took Excalibur from my hands…” Dawn Saber looked down at his hands. “Normally, I would have her thrown in the dungeons for doing that, but after what she did… She deserves an award. Because she took Excalibur from me, we won that battle in an instant. It was… mesmerizing. She had wings, dear. And she flew, like a phoenix from old. And she rained spears of light down on our enemies. It was truly a sight to behold. And after all that, she wasn’t even exhausted.”

Sunlight looked thoughtful. “So you’re telling me that this newcomer, this Emerald Edge, can wield Excalibur better than you. I wonder why that might be?” She finished, looking to the side and smirking.

“I don’t know, Sunlight, but there is something about her that must be different if she can control Excalibur to that potential. All I’ve ever been able to do is shoot lightning from it and you know what happens right after that. Don’t you think there’s something special about her? Where did she say she was from again?”

“A faraway land called the Crystal Empire, if Sonata Dusk is to be believed,” Queen Sunlight said slowly. “I’ve never heard of it.”

The king took off his crown and placed it beside the bed. “We have known lands as far as the Frozen North, but I too have never heard of a Crystal Empire…” Dawn Saber scratched his blue beard. “And on top of that, an empire of crystal? That sounds well made up. In all the lands, we all use steel or iron, with the exception of Excalibur. And they have crystal? If I had not seen her lay waste to the enemy, I would not have believed it.”

“Wasn’t she on a quest to find those, what did she call them, artifacts? Do you think Excalibur is one of them?”

“Perhaps…” Dawn Saber reached to his side to undo his armor. “The guards had told me of the way the shield had reacted to her presence, just like how Excalibur had reacted that day in court. Something about her is… different. And I know she is after these artifacts, but I cannot willingly part with Excalibur. It signifies my right as king. Though I think we should at least help her in her quest after what she did for us. Do you think we should hand the shield to her? As thanks and for her to save her kingdom?”

“It wouldn’t be right…” Queen Sunlight mused. “Sir Lionheart won the tournament, so the shield belongs rightfully to him for the next half-decade.”

“Hmm… You’re right…” Dawn Saber pulled at his armor strap, unable to get it out. “What do you think we should do, my dear?”

“Here, let me help you, dear.” Sunlight reached over and began undoing his armor for him. “As for what I think we ought to do, she certainly deserves something, yes? An award? Bits?”

“Oh, I already have a plan for that, Sunlight.” Dawn Saber lifted his arms as his wife slipped the armor off his chest. “What I was thinking was helping her on her quest too. Does it not sound just?”

“It is, dear.” Sunlight next helped him with his gauntlets. “It’s very noble of you.”

“It is,” Dawn Saber smiled. “But how can we help? Perhaps you could talk to her sometime? Ask her about herself? You’re good at talking to others, after all. Much better than I.”

“Maybe I will,” Sunlight said mysteriously. “Maybe I will. I’m sure she has much to tell us.”

“I can always count on you, Sunlight.” Dawn Saber patted her on her shoulder when she finished removing his gauntlets.

“Yes, you can, my dear. Now come. The night is young, and we have unfinished business…”

“Unfinished?” Dawn Saber looked at her. “What more do we have tonight? Not another meeting, I hope? I was already getting ready for bed.”

“Not another meeting.” Queen Sunlight batted her eyelashes at the king, shedding her nightdress in one smooth motion, leaving her in her smallclothes.

“Oh. That’s what you meant…” Dawn Saber kept his eyes on her slender body. “We still need an heir, don’t we?” he smiled and reached his arms out.

“We’ve been trying for years, dearest,” Sunlight said. “Are you sure you’re not just eager to consummate our marriage for the thousandth time?”

“I won’t lie, my precious queen. I am eager.” Dawn Saber pulled his wife close as she leaned into him. “But our kingdom needs an heir, Sunlight. When I’m old, who will lead?”

“Those are heavy thoughts for so late at night,” Sunlight said, kissing the king on the cheek.

“You’re right, my beautiful wife…” King Dawn Saber rubbed a hand down the queen’s arm. “So enough thinking for the night.”

“As you wish, your majesty,” Sunlight crooned, taking the king’s hands and putting them on her chest. “Let’s make this night something to remember.”


PreviousChapters Next