• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,525 Views, 510 Comments

Age of Kings - A bag of plums



When King Sombra took over the Crystal Empire, one pony went into another world to seek help. Featuring the ancestors of the cast of Equestria Girls, this is the account of her quest in the human world.

  • ...
9
 510
 1,525

PreviousChapters Next
23 - Lady Emerald

It was early in the morning when Emerald Edge was gently awoken by Posey, the archer shaking the spymaster.

“Five more minutes…” Emerald groaned into her pillow.

“I’ve been trying to wake you since six bells,” Posey insisted, shaking Emerald harder. “If we don’t hurry, we’ll miss the award ceremony.”

“Wossat?” Emerald said, opening one eye to look at Posey.

“We’ll be late for the award ceremony for the tournament,” Posey stressed again, but she had a really quiet and soothing voice, making Emerald close her eyes again.

Then finally, her brain registered the words and she shot up. She had forgotten all about it. The winner, Sir Lionheart, was to be awarded the shield for winning and anyone still around was to be there to witness it as well.

“Why didn’t you say so?” Emerald grabbed her shoulder armor. “Let’s go!”

“I did say so,” Posey said under her breath. “Now let’s hurry up and get you dressed. We can pick up breakfast on the way.”

In very little time, Emerald slipped back into her armor and was buckling her sword at her side. A quick comb in front of the mirror took care of her bed head, and at Posey’s insistence, the pair set off to the market district to pick up some food before heading up to the castle.

Getting a jam tart each, Emerald and Posey walked over the castle bridge and under the archway, entering the castle courtyard, arriving at a checkpoint where a group of guards were stationed.

“They must be here because of the druid breach yesterday,” Emerald told her archer friend.

“Must be.”

“Good morning, sirs,” Emerald said, walking up to the checkpoint. “We’re on our way to the award ceremony for the King’s Tournament.”

The closest guard lifted his head, only for Emerald to realize it was a woman.

Oops.

It was the same brown-skinned guard with grey eyes she had met before.

“Oh, tis you, um, Emerald Edge.” The guard seemed to say Emerald’s name like it was wrong. “Yes. You are expected for the tournament ceremony.”

They stepped aside, but instead of walking on into the castle itself, Emerald stopped a step later and turned back to the guard. She remembered a few of them looked familiar and this guard was one of them. She just couldn’t place it.

“Sorry,” she asked the same guard. “But may I know your name?”

The guard wore a surprised face, but put on a smile right after. “Spirit Flicker, ma’am, of the Canterlot Guard.”

“S-Spirit Flicker?” Emerald said, taking a step back. Spirit Flicker was one of her friends back in the Crystal Empire. She gave her life to get Emerald here. “But… but… how? How did you get here?”

“Get here?” She tilted her head. “You know of my village? Well, I walked here many years ago, ma’am, to find work. That is what you are asking, right?”

“But-but Sombra killed you! You’re dead! How are you here?”

“Sombra? Who is Sombra?” Spirit asked. “Nevermind. Now, if you don’t mind, I’ve got a few questions for you…”

Posey quickly pulled Emerald along, then leaned close enough to whisper. “Now, Emerald, remember, you and the others have mentioned that there are some of us here that are mirrors of others from your world, so I’m guessing this guard, this Spirit Flicker, is one of them. She’s your friend in image, but she knows you not.”

“So this isn’t her, huh?” Emerald sounded disappointed. For a second, she had thought that maybe her friends had made it, that they hadn’t given their lives for her.

Then she remembered talking to Honeygold and Spectrum Song about this world’s Emerald Edge. She’d been mistaken many times for whoever the other Emerald was, but as of now, she had still yet to find out who this Emerald was. Perhaps she was working in the castle too, like the others.

“Posey, if we were to find my… my other self, do you think you would be able to do it?” she asked her archer friend.

“I’m certain I could… She would look just like you, right? Or at least similar?” Posey said as they headed up the castle’s stone steps to get to the main arena. “I have some experience in tracking, after all…”

“Maybe we should look into this and sort out this confusion,” Emerald suggested as they entered the arena’s stands.

“We can get on it after your audience with the king. Isn’t that right after the award ceremony?”

“I think so…” Emerald watched the crowd as they sat all across the stands. She could see the larger humans from the Frozen North, the exotic humans from the East, and all kinds of other folk here. “There are a lot of people here.”

“They’re all the competitors and visitors from all over,” Spectrum Song said as she sat down beside Posey. “Hey, Em. Hey, Posey.”

“Why if it isn’t Spectrum Song,” Posey smiled and rubbed the squire’s head. “How is Honeygold? Is she better?”

“She’s still recovering back at my place,” Spectrum explained. “My parents let them stay the night. Sure, it was a bit crammed, but after what happened yesterday, they deserve a comfortable place to sleep.”

“That’s good to hear,” Emerald nodded. “Apple Bean and Golden Nugget must’ve been so worried about her. I’m glad it’s all sorted out now, with Honeygold back with us and those druids in the dungeons.”

“Mhmm.” Spectrum dusted her hands. “Well, with the druids out of the way, I guess it’s time to see Sir Lionheart get the shield, huh? I’m sorry you didn’t manage to get it, Emerald. I know you really needed it.”

“It’s okay, Spectrum.” Emerald put an arm around the young squire. “There’s nothing more we can do about, so I suggest we just look to the future and see what we can do.”

“That’s the spirit, Emerald,” Posey smiled. “We’re all here for you, so if you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“What Posey said.” Spectrum gave the spymaster a firm nod. “I may still be young, but I’ll do what I can, Em. You’re a great friend!”

Emerald nodded and smiled. She really had made some good friends here. “I believe you, Spectrum.”

“Oh look, I think it’s about to begin.” Spectrum pointed to a short stubby man with curly blue hair and a beard, walk to a raised platform in front of the stands.

Emerald had never noticed, but the announcer was quite the short human.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!” he yelled at the top of his voice, somehow being so powerful that it could echo around the entire arena without a problem. Emerald thought he had something to help with amplifying his voice, but apparently it was all on his own strength, which was truly powerful. “YESTERDAY, WE CONCLUDED OUR KING’S TOURNAMENT ONCE AGAIN! MAY I HEAR A CHEER FOR ALL OUR CONTENDERS WHO FOUGHT VALIANTLY AND HONORABLY?”

The crowds burst into applause around Emerald, who had to resist pressing her hands to her ears. It had been so loud and sudden. From below the man, a group of guards pushed out a stand and on the stand, the shield, the artifact Emerald had hoped to return home with.

“AND NOW, FOR THE CHAMPION OF THE TOURNAMENT, WE APPLAUD SIR LIONHEART FOR BESTING ALL HIS COMPETITORS AND CLAIMING VICTORY!”

Emerald winced again as the voices were raised around her. “Do they need to shout so loud?”

Posey looked at her and shrugged. “I don’t know.”

From below the stands, Sir Lionheart emerged from the dens, a hand in the air to wave to the cheering crowds.

“AND MAY I PRESENT THE KING AND QUEEN OF CANTERLOT, KING DAWN SABER AND QUEEN SUNLIGHT RADIANCE!”

From the opposite end, King Dawn Saber and Queen Sunlight Radiance emerged from the other den entrance, waving to the crowd, a group of six guards on their left and right.

They met Sir Lionheart in the middle, stopping beside the shield. Lionheart bowed before kneeling himself before the king, on one knee.

“Congratulations on your victory, Sir Lionheart,” King Dawn Saber said, loud enough for Emerald and the others to hear. “You have fought bravely and valiantly for your kingdom. And now as a prize for emerging victorious, the shield is to be yours until the next tournament. Do you so swear to keep it with you and to use it for the good of this kingdom and its people?”

“I swear, your majesty.” Sir Lionheart bowed his head lower. “I shall defend this kingdom with my life until the day I breathe my last.”

Queen Sunlight opened the glass box containing the shield and held it out before the knight.

“Then I hereby declare you victor of this year’s tournament. The shield is yours, Sir Lionheart. Go forth and make a greater name for yourself.”

Sir Lionheart gladly accepted the shield from the queen after standing, then slapped a fist to his chest, resounding a clank across the arena.

Emerald watched on, wishing it had been her standing there, but there was nothing more she could do now. All she could hope for was for another artifact to reveal herself in her time here.

Sir Lionheart turned around after putting his arm into the shield’s straps, holding it high for the people at the stands. The crowds burst into applause and cheer as Sir Lionheart pumped his arm up a few times.

“Lionheart! Lionheart! Lionheart!” the crowds began to chant.

When the knight seemed satisfied enough, he gave the crowd a bow before retreating back to the den he had come from. King Dawn Saber and Queen Sunlight Radiance waved and exited the arena as well.

“Well, I guess that’s the end of the ceremony…” Posey pulled at her bandana as other humans began getting up to leave. “What now?”

“I don’t know, Posey,” Emerald shrugged. “The king said he wanted to see me, but I can’t just walk into the castle, can I?”

“Oh, sure you can, Em!” Spectrum, who was listening on the side, added in. “The king requested you. You can just explain that to the guards and they’ll escort you right in.”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that, Em.”

“Well… okay, no harm trying then,” Emerald decided. They were near the castle anyway. She figured she would give the king some time to get to the throne room before she would start heading over. “Would you like to come, Posey?”

“Can-can I?” she asked. “I don’t know if they’ll let me in.”

“We’ll just say you’re with us, no trouble, Posey!” Spectrum said, hopping off her seat. “Besides, you helped out in the battle. I’m sure you can at least walk into the castle because of that.”

“It is as you say then,” Posey smiled. “Shall we?”


Passing through the main castle entrance had been easy enough. As soon as the guards had seen Emerald Edge and her friends, they simply stood aside and let them enter. The spymaster figured they must’ve known who she was by now. She didn’t know if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but at least it meant easy entry into the castle.

Posey, who had never been in the place before, was looking up and around at all the banners and balconies above, marveling at how the entire thing could be built out of just stone.

About halfway in, two of the guards stopped Emerald, one of them holding up his hand.

When Emerald stopped before them, he cleared his throat and said, “Good morning to you, ma’am. We’re to guide you to the king’s throne room. If you would follow us…”

Emerald looked at him for a few seconds, rubbing her chin. This guard also looked familiar to her. He had white skin, red hair and orange eyes and Emerald only knew one of her friends that looked like that.

“Flare? Crystal Flare?” she said, watching the guard’s face turn into one that matched her surprised face.

“Yes, that is my name,” he answered with a nod. “So truly, Flicker was not lying when she said you knew us…”

“You’re all here?” Emerald almost couldn’t contain her excitement. “All of you… In this world.”

“This world?” He looked at her puzzledly.

“I have a question for you, ma’am,” the other guard beside Crystal Flare interrupted. This one was female, with light orange skin and light green hair. Emerald recognized her as Spring Amber. “Are you really Emerald Edge?”

“Yes, that’s me,” the spymaster nodded. “You seem to doubt me. Then there really is another me here? The me of this world?”

“There’s the world again…” Flare scratched his visible hair from his helmet line. “You say you are from a different world?”

“I am! I passed through the portal. It leads to the middle of the lake just outside the town.”

“That old rock?” The one that looked like Spring Amber rubbed her cheek. “That’s a portal?”

“Yes, that’s how I came here!” Emerald tried to make them see reason, seeing as they were her old friends from Equestria. “So where’s this world’s Emerald? Can I meet her?”

“Hold on, this is really a lot to take in…” Amber put a hand to her forehead.

“It would explain why you look almost similar,” Flare said. “No matter how outlandish your claim is, we cannot deny that. Unfortunately, Emerald is watching the parapets today.”

“So there really is another me…” Emerald reeled back from the fact.

“Cool, Em!” Spectrum squished her cheeks together in excitement. “What happens when you meet your other self? That would be so weird, but so great at the same time!”

“Yes, but I think we should head to the king first,” Posey told them. “These kind guards have already offered to take you there. Let’s not keep them waiting.”

“Yes, sorry. Let us go,” Emerald beckoned for the guards to lead. It seems meeting herself would have to wait for some other time.
“At once, ma’am.” Amber and Flare stomped their spear tips on the ground and turned to walk to the throne room, with Emerald, Posey and Spectrum following behind.

This world was indeed very surprising. When she had more time, Emerald wanted to come back here to reacquaint herself with her friends from the Crystal Empire. They weren’t the same ponies, but they must at least be similar. Then there was also the question of meeting herself. What was that going to be like, Emerald had to wonder, but for now, she didn’t have time for that. It would all have to wait.

“I really wonder what he wants you here for…” Spectrum rubbed her chin. “Could be an award? For helping defeat the druids?”

“Maybe he’ll give you some bits for helping?” Posey said her piece.

“Or maybe he wants to throw you in the dungeon for taking Excalibur?”

Emerald widened her eyes and swallowed. “I hope it’s not that last one.”

Entering the vast throne room through a set of massive wooden doors, Emerald Edge spotted King Dawn Saber and Queen Sunlight Radiance at the far end, sitting atop their thrones; the muses were also beside the queen at their usual spot.

“Your majesty.” Spectrum Song was the first to bow. Emerald quickly followed suit, pulling Posey down to do the same. The archer did her best to copy her.

“You have arrived, Emerald Edge,” King Dawn Saber said, sitting forward a little. “I have been expecting you.” He turned to the guards at Emerald’s sides. “That is all, guards. You may return to your posts.”

“Yes, your majesty.” With a quick turn, they were already walking away from the throne before Emerald regained her posture.

“What do you wish of me, your majesty?” Emerald asked him, wanting to know which of her options was the right one.

“Lady Emerald Edge, as the king of Canterlot and its surrounding provinces, I would like to applaud you for your formidable performance in the tournament and your actions in the Shetland Forest against the druids.”

King Dawn Saber and Queen Sunlight Radiance rose to their feet, offering a round of applause. The muses watched them and did the same. Once they sat back down again, the king continued, “I have heard of your quest for these artifacts. And while I cannot give you Excalibur or the shield, I would like to offer you something in recompense.

“As my right as king of the land, I would like to extend to you an invitation. An offer that most knights in my kingdom would gladly give their sword-arm for. I am asking you if you would like to join my Knights of the Round Table.”

“M-Me, your majesty?” Emerald pointed a finger at herself. “A Knight of the Round Table?”

“Certainly. You have shown knightly valor by helping others, and none can deny your skill with a sword after yesterday. This is a tremendous offer, and while some would question my choice in choosing you, a foreigner, I am sure that you would make a fine addition to the ranks. What say you, Lady Emerald?”

“I-I...” Emerald looked to her friends. Posey gave one nod, while Spectrum vigorously nodded her head up and down like there was something wrong with her neck.

“I am certain that whatever your quest is, having some comrades by your side will make it an easier burden to bear,” Queen Sunlight added.

“I… I…” Emerald looked to all her friends, then back to King Dawn Saber, who was leaning back on his throne with an expectant smile on his face. “B-But I swore to serve my Princess Amore… she needs me. I cannot just abandon my previous oath.”

“And I am not asking you to,” King Dawn Saber said evenly. “I know how important it is to your quest that you acquire an artifact and free your empire from evil. I would simply ask you to count yourself among us for as long as it takes. The Knights of the Round Table go on quests all the time, and having brothers in arms might help with your search for the artifacts. Think of yourself as an honorary member, if it helps. But you will have all the privileges and expectations that come with being one of my knights. So, what say you?”

Emerald knew she needed all the help she could get and if she was going to be here for a while, maybe it was a good idea to accept the king’s offer. She silently wished to her princess that doing this wasn’t to betray her, but to one day see the Crystal Empire shine again.

“I accept, your majesty.” Emerald bowed again.

“Then kneel before me, Lady Emerald.”

Emerald did as she was told. King Dawn Saber dismounted his throne and drew Excalibur, its blade glinting metallic gold in the light. The king tapped the blade of his sword on Emerald’s shoulders, one left and one right.

Then he announced, “By the power vested in me, King Dawn Saber of Canterlot, I hereby dub thee Lady Emerald, a valiant Knight of the Round Table. You may rise.”

Emerald stood up and looked to her friends, who burst into a round of applause and cheers.

“Congratulations, Em!” Spectrum hopped up and down. “You’re a knight now! Just like Sir Morn and the others!”

“And not just any knight,” Posey added. “A Knight of the Round Table.”

“I-I am, aren’t I?” Emerald shook her head to clear it. “I’m a Knight of the Round Table!” she exclaimed with a grin.

“Yes, yes you are, Lady Emerald!” Sir Morn strode into the room from a side passage that none of them had noticed, followed by a few other members of the Knights of the Round Table. “May I be the first to offer you my congratulations?” The knight placed a gauntleted hand on Emerald’s shoulder. “Yes, Well done, my lady. I look forward to our quests together.”

“You knew?” Then she looked to the other knights. “You all did?”

“Of course, Lady Emerald.” The spymaster recognized Sir Prancelot by his helmet, which he now had under an arm. He had dark grey hair covering his ears and a little stubble under his chin. “As Knights of the Round Table, the king had consulted us about this. I must say, his majesty has great taste in us knights.”

“As king, I must.” Dawn Saber looked proud.

“Hmm, the day I saw you with my squire, I doubted you would ever come close to being one of us,” Sir Hors told the spymaster next. “I am honored to see you are now one of us. Congratulations, my lady. You have indeed proved your skills in combat with us.”

Emerald nodded and smiled. She looked around, recognizing each of the knights, except for one. She remembered Sir Hors, Sir Ganeighn, Sir Trotivere, Sir Prancelot, Sir Lionheart, and Sir Morn, but the one knight, a little shorter than the others and dressed in steel armor with a horn in the middle of his helmet, was a mystery to her. She had never met him or talked to him before.

Sir Morn sniffed and patted Emerald on the shoulder. “That is Sir Boercival, my lady. Yes, you do not know him. I’m afraid he does not say much, but rest assured, he is capable of defending the kingdom as is with every one of us.”

“Oh,” Emerald nodded. “Nice to meet you, Sir Boercival.”

The knight nodded and slapped a fist to his armored chest.

“And tis nice to see Posey is with you, Lady Emerald,” Sir Ganeighn smiled at the archer, who quickly looked to the side. “She is skilled with the bow, your majesty. She aided us in the battle with the druids.”

“Yes, I recall,” King Dawn Saber said. “A skilled warrior with the weapon of a peasant. You are indeed a force to be reckoned with, archer Posey. Permit me to give you a reward as well for your secret service to us all.”

Beckoning for one of his servants, a man with a plump face walked out from the side and handed Posey a leather bag.

“Oh, I couldn’t accept, your majesty…” She blushed and shook the bag. It jingled with the sound of bits inside. “I just did what was necessary for the safety of others…”

“Receiving the knights’ praise is no simple feat, Posey,” Spectrum said. “You deserve that reward.”

“I… I… I cannot accept, your majesty,” Posey replied softly. “I have no use for bits in the forest. I-It’s better off if you g-give it to people who could use it. Like Trottingham.”

“Well, the reward is for you to use as you see fit,” King Dawn Saber smiled. “You may do with it as you wish, archer.”

“Well, alright then, your m-majesty…” Posey took the bag of bits from the servant. “Thank you for your generous gift.”

Emerald Edge, Posey and Spectrum Song bowed one more time before the king and queen before making their way out.

About halfway, a voice called out behind them, “Lady Emerald, if you have some more time.”

The spymaster turned around to see Queen Sunlight walking down the steps of their throne, stopping at the bottom. “If you may, please come to my chambers tomorrow night for dinner. Sonata, please give it to her.”

“Of course, your majesty!” The muse hopped down the steps, almost tripping on the last one before stopping in front of Emerald, holding out a silver oval object.

Emerald took it and held it in her hand.

“It is a locket, Lady Emerald,” Queen Sunlight spoke again. “Present it to the guards of my chambers tomorrow and it shall gain you entry. Now, good day. I shall see you tomorrow.”

“Your majesty.” Emerald closed her fingers over the locket and bowed again before leaving.

Exiting the castle, Spectrum hopped along beside the two women, happily singing a tune to herself, strumming on her lute at the same time. “Wow, Em! You and Posey are heroes now! And you’re a knight! How great is that!”

“That sure is something, Spectrum,” Emerald nodded. She’d gone through so much since coming to this world. She still had so much to accomplish, but she could be sure she would have help to do so.

“Well, I’m going to go home to check on Honeygold, so I’ll see you two later, maybe.” Spectrum waved and ran off towards the castle bridge.

“What do we do now, Posey?” Emerald asked. “I haven’t planned this far.”

“Then I suggest we follow young Spectrum Song and visit Honeygold,” Posey suggested as they walked on. “Then maybe after that, we should go to the bar to celebrate your knighthood.”

“Sounds like a plan, Posey. Let’s see who gets there faster.” And Emerald was off, kicking up dust as she ran ahead.


PreviousChapters Next