• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,525 Views, 510 Comments

Age of Kings - A bag of plums



When King Sombra took over the Crystal Empire, one pony went into another world to seek help. Featuring the ancestors of the cast of Equestria Girls, this is the account of her quest in the human world.

  • ...
9
 510
 1,525

PreviousChapters Next
47 - Armed and Ready

“Now are you sure this is so important, Nightfall?” Emerald Edge was dragged along by the excited mage out through the castle drawbridge.

“It is incredibly important, Emerald!” Nightfall Gleam hopped along. “Secret Fire and I made most of them. Let me tell you, they all work better than we could ever hope for!”

“What are you talking about?”

“You shall see, Emerald.”

Emerald mumbled something to herself. She had decided to spend the day with Sir Morn in the garden today, but Nightfall had intercepted her on the way and began dragging her out here. Nightfall was a good friend, yes, but Morn was her lover, after all.

“Are we leaving Canterlot?” Emerald asked once they hit the Shades district. She had done what she could to persuade the king to rebuild the Shades to match the Loft district, but King Dawn Saber was adamant in not doing so.

“Just outside in the field. You will see.” Nightfall grinned.

Emerald sighed, but followed along.

Past the town walls, Emerald spotted a group of towering wooden structures, some almost the height of the walls. Many of Canterlot’s knights stood among them, along with a few familiar faces.

“Why, if it isn’t Emerald Edge, Assassin of False Kings!” Sir Agramane greeted as she and Nightfall walked over.

“False kings?” Nightfall asked.

“So you have heard.” Emerald smiled.

She had only just returned from a quest the previous day, where she had quelled an uprising in Gleandale. A man called Lexicon Ender had claimed to be a descendant of some ancient king and that all of the lands were his to conquer.

Emerald had sneaked into their cultist camp easily enough after they had a night of drinking and sank her hidden blade deep into Lexicon’s neck. After that, it was only a matter of getting the rest of his men to surrender, which Trotivere and Ganeighn had accomplished with ease.

“Your shadow skills still fail to bore me.” Agramane shook her hand. “Now come. We may jest more after, but the mages have a show to demonstrate.”

“Yes, what kind of show, Nightfall?” Emerald turned back to the blue robed mage.

“Why, a show of our inventions, of course.” Nightfall pointed to the tall towering structures. They looked like giant catapults. “What do you think? From out here?”

“You made all those?” Emerald tried to count the amount of structures, but she gave up after twelve.

“Secret Fire and I. Mostly I, but yes, that pyromaniac did help.” Nightfall hummed to herself as she walked along the grassy fields.

“So things have been better with him now, huh?” Emerald walked beside her. “You two have been friendlier in the last year or so.”

“I cannot lower my guard around him, no matter how nice he’s trying to be.” Nightfall mimicked fire with a hand and imitated the burning of something on her other hand. “I try to keep all my notes away whenever he’s near. I don’t doubt his ability to set the place ablaze. But… yes, I suppose it has been easier around him as of late.”

“Good to hear, Nightfall.”

Closer to the large structures, Emerald now really marveled at just how large they were. The catapults were at least the height of a standard tower over at the castle, and their buckets were twice as large as the regular one. Then there were the other inventions. There were ones that looked like crossbows, only much larger. One, instead of extending horizontally, extended upwards, housing three extremely large spears in them, which would likely tear a human in half if it was indeed used against them.

“What are all these even for…?” Emerald put her hand on one that was a tall frame, holding a reinforced log inside.

“Why, for war, Lady Emerald, should it ever reach us.” Sir Morn stepped in from behind the spymaster, wrapping an arm around her. “We should always be prepared and these mages have done such marvelous work, have they not?”

“Even that?” Emerald pointed to the one with large spears. “What ever could this one be used for?”

“Walls and armor, Emerald.” Nightfall rubbed her hands together. “You will see shortly. We first need to wait for King Dawn Saber and Queen Sunlight Radiance. Beatrix should announce their arrival with-”

There was a burst of fire and sparks in the air above them, followed by a series of trumpet blares.

“There,” Nightfall said happily. “Please gather with the other knights, Emerald. I shall be here, ready.”

“If you say so.”

Emerald followed Sir Morn Dread and the others over to where King Dawn Saber and the queen were seated. A tarp had been erected over them to protect them from the heat of the sun.

“Your majesty.” Sir Morn was the first to bow. Emerald and the other knights soon followed suit.

“Please, to the side.” Sir Dawn Saber motioned with a hand. “Let us see what the mages have fabricated for us.”

“It is a pleasure to host you here today, your majesty!” Beatrix spun over to the center of the field and bowed. “And now, let us begin with the demonstration! Nightfall Gleam shall first start with the largest of her creations!”

“This is going to be good.” Sir Trotivere smiled and clapped his hands together.

“Your majesty, we would like to start with the siege catapult.” Nightfall pointed to their largest creations. “Built much taller and to carry a much larger and volatile payload, these catapults will be able to breach any wall they are pitted against. Please observe, your majesty! Secret Fire!”

Nightfall waved over to the pyromancer, who nodded and lit a giant blackened boulder that rested in the catapult’s head. Only after the entire boulder went ablaze did Emerald recognize the black substance as oil.

“Ingenious,” she mumbled.

A small wall had been placed on the far side of the field, close to the dirt path that led out of Canterlot.

With a cut of the rope, the catapult released its deadly payload, sending the flaming boulder soaring up into the sky, smoke trailing behind it. Emerald could almost feel the ground tremble as it shot back down, impacting into the wall with a spray of dirt and stone, a deafening smash ringing across the entire field.

When the smoke had cleared, the wall was completely gone. All that remained was a large hole in the ground, where Emerald could just make out fire and smoke rising from it.

“That small wall could not be demonstration enough, could it?” Emerald tapped Sir Morn on the arm. Sure, it was a sight to behold such a weapon, but that tiny wall could not show the full power of this new siege catapult.

“It demonstrates enough what it can do,” Sir Morn explained. “If war ever comes, we will know how to use these.”

“Um, right, Sir Morn.”

“Fantastic show,” the king said from his seat. “Truly a powerful weapon of war. Let us hope we maintain peace long that war may never show its face here.”

Emerald looked back at the smoldering crater in the ground. Perhaps if it could actually do that, kingdom walls wouldn’t stand much more of a chance.

“Now on to our next invention.” Nightfall waved for Secret Fire to move to the one that had spears loaded into it.

“Yes, this is the spear launcher, your majesty.” Secret Fire glided a finger down the weapon’s wooden frame. “Designed to pierce and puncture even the strongest of armor. Imagine the phalanxes of old, marching their way to our walls and arrows cannot pierce them. Observe, if you will.”

Secret Fire went around it and held on to what looked like handles at the end. Turning it, he pointed it straight for a group of large shields, set up by the far end of the field, all clustered together like a shell. The pyromancer pulled back a mechanism and one of the spears shot out at incredible speed. Emerald almost couldn’t even see it, but then it hit the group of shields and went right through six of them, scattering the rest.

“No armor can withstand the speed and power of these spear launchers. It is a pity Nightfall did not want to set these on fire.”

“Imagine that going through a platoon of guards…” Emerald folded her arms across her chest. “Such destructive power.”

“Then our enemies will know not to underestimate our might,” Agramane grunted.

Emerald watched the mages introduce siege weapon after siege weapon. They were shown giant ballistae, which could pierce tower walls. Not much different from the spear launchers, Emerald had thought, but they apparently fired faster and in more quantity, while their piercing ability was reduced. Also good for taking down infantry and cavalry.

Then there was the battering ram. It was a log reinforced with steel, housed within a strong wooden frame. With the push of a lever behind it, the log would swing down and thrust forward very hard and fast. This one looked like it could take down castle gates with ease.

After those came the smaller weapons, like the firebombs. These things were vials of concoctions, able to ignite on impact, able to keep troops from entering its area unless they wanted to burn.

Useful weapons, for sure, Emerald knew that, but she hoped that the day they had to use them would never come.

“You seem troubled, my lady.” Sir Morn tapped her under her chin to get her attention. “Are you feeling fine?”

“It is just the thought of having to use these, Sir Morn.” Emerald shook her head, but held on to his hand. “These are not weapons I would wish on anyone.”

“Aye, that is true, Lady Emerald. But if we have to, we will have to use them. If the situations call for them.”

“Why, we could even use these as deterrence, Lady Emerald.” Prancelot flipped his helmet’s visor up. “Perhaps if our future enemies see our weapons, they will think again before attacking us.”

“Aye, I agree with Prancelot.” Lionheart clapped his fellow knight on the shoulder. “A display of might is a good plan to keep invaders at bay.”

Emerald had a good think about it. Yes, perhaps there was some sense in their words. She had seen the devastation of such weapons firsthand today. As an attacker, she didn’t want to have to come face to face with something like that spear launcher.

In no time, King Dawn Saber raised a hand and dismissed everyone, ordering the guards and mages to move the siege weapons back inside.

Emerald cringed as she watched one of the siege catapults pass under the town gates. She thought it was going to smash a new hole through the top of the wall, but thankfully, it was just nice. Nightfall probably accounted for the gate height, so she didn’t know what she had been worried about. Nightfall had always been a smart tinkerer.

“So, Emerald,” the blue mage in question waltzed over to her, a big smile on her face. “What did you think of our inventions? Creative, yes?”

“Creative, yes. Definitely.” Emerald patted the mage on the back. “And such power. I truly hope using them never comes to pass.”

“Well…” Nightfall put a finger to her chin. “I would not mind using them a little bit.”

“I second that.” Secret Fire joined them, holding one of the firebombs in his hands. Nightfall seemed a little wary, and Emerald didn’t blame her. “Our inventions are of truly magnificent firepower. Imagine all they could accomplish!”

“I have imagination enough, pyromancer.” Sir Morn shot his hands a warning look. “Only if our neighbors fail to respect Canterlot’s borders will we have to use such weapons. I do hope war will never come, mages.”

“Spoken like a true Knight of the Round Table, Sir Morn Dread.” Sir Lionheart pulled at his moustache. “Now, with the demonstration, why don’t we find ourselves amongst a few mugs of cider?”

“I cannot say no to that.” Morn held his hand out to Emerald. “My lady?”

Before she could take it, Emerald Edge spotted one guard running over to them, looking absolutely breathless. It wasn’t a far walk from the gates.

When he got closer, Emerald noticed it was her old friend, Dash Spiral. “Sir and lady knights! Trouble! Druids have seized one of our siege weapons! They remain outside Canterlot’s walls!”

“Which one?” Secret Fire stuffed the firebomb into his robes.

“One of the catapults, mage.” Dash Spiral was wheezing and coughing.

“No time to lose.” Sir Lionheart unsheathed his Durendal. “Let us make haste. They shan’t have the chance to use our own weapons against us!”

Emerald followed behind him and Sir Morn, while Nightfall and Secret Fire ran along after her. The spymaster had known something like that could happen, but she didn’t think it would be so soon that she would have to face off against one of Nightfall’s inventions.

Back out in the field, Emerald spotted at least four of the Canterlot guard, lying on their backs, their armor charred or melting. Then she looked to the distance, where a group of druids and their barbarian mercenaries were gathered around a siege catapult. There was already a boulder loaded into the weapon, yet to be covered in oil.

“We still have time. We need to stop them!” Emerald pulled her hood over her head and unsheathed Amore.

She was the first of the knights to run to the druids, willing her legs to move faster.

A bottle of magic sailed high in the sky, aimed right for her, but there was so much telltale sign for Emerald to get out of the way, which she did.

The next few casts of magic were to three of their barbarians, making them go berserk as they each pulled out two axes each, charging Emerald and the knights.

“Kill them all! Do not let them get to us before we are done!” a bearded druid commanded.

“Not if I can help it!” Emerald barreled into the first barbarian, lashing out with Amore before he could hit her with his axes.

She cut a deep groove along his abdomen, which didn’t slow him, then dodged to the side and cut his thigh while dodging his attacks.

The second barbarian swing his axe at her, but the spymaster leaned back, just narrowly dodging it and righting herself just to parry the next blow. Unfortunately, she hadn’t remembered how strong they become when affected with the berserker magic. The blow sent her falling back, hitting her head on a small rock hidden on the ground, dazing her.

The barbarian roared at her, sending spit flying everywhere and raised both axes high. Just then, a vial smashed into his face from over Emerald’s head, splashing green goo all over him. It seemed to harden cling to his skin, covering all of his face. The barbarian dropped both axes and clawed at the substance, but then his fingers got stuck in it too.

Emerald turned to see Nightfall Gleam and Secret Fire running over, hauling her back up to her feet as Sir Morn and Sir Lionheart engaged the other two barbarians.

“I knew packing some magic would come in handy!” Nightfall said, taking another vial from her pouch. “Are you alright, Emerald?”

“Just stunned…” Emerald rubbed the back of her head, where blood had begun to flow. “I will manage. They must not be allowed to use your catapult.”

“Yes.” Nightfall nodded. “I did not test the catapult against our own walls. I do not know how much damage they could do.”

“Better we don’t find out.” Secret Fire pulled out two firebombs from his sleeves.

Emerald picked up her sword and spun it before gripping it in two hands. Sir Morn had just cut off the head of one of the barbarians, whose body was now flailing about, his head lying on the floor by the knight’s feet. Sir Lionheart was still dealing with the third barbarian, but he was able to hold his ground with the shield’s power.

Emerald passed the barbarian who still had the goo over his face, jumping at the one Sir Lionheart was fighting and kicking him in the back. The barbarian staggered forward, then turned around to snarl, only for Emerald to thrust her sword through his midsection.

The man’s axes came towards Emerald, but then both his hands and weapons were up in the air, with Sir Morn by her side, Clarent vertical. Now disarmed, the barbarian could do nothing as Sir Lionheart bashed him over the head with the shield and then stabbed his sword down into his back, finishing him.

“Warriors dealt with.” Sir Morn looked over to the remaining druids. “Now for them.”

“Forget the preparation!” The bearded druid pointed at Emerald at the knights frantically. “Launch the payload! Do it now!”

“No!” Emerald kicked out a patch of dirt behind her as she ran to no avail.

One druid cut the rope and the catapult swung up, releasing a boulder over their heads, sending it sailing towards the Canterlot walls.

The spymaster could only watch in horror as the guards atop the walls ran for their lives. The boulder smashed into the wall just below the ramparts, smashing right through the front of the wall, sending two guards falling off. Thankfully, the walls seemed to hold beyond that strike.

“Thankfully they did not light the oil.” Nightfall wiped the back of a hand across her forehead. “Fire mixed with that special oil creates a small explosion on impact. That would surely have done more damage to the wall.”

“And now these druids shall pay.” Sir Lionheart thudded Durendal against the shield as he approached them. “Are you ready, druids?”

Suddenly, to Emerald’s surprise, all three druids got down on their knees and stuck their hands up.

“We surrender! Please don’t kill us!” the lead one squealed.

“Well, that was surprisingly easy.” Secret Fire stroked at his beard and stowed his firebombs. “I was sure they would have put up a fight.”

“They would not have stood a chance.” Sir Morn sheathed Clarent and approached them. “Mages, run back and get the guards. I want to see them in chains before I am assured they will not cause anymore chaos.”

“Right away, sir knight. Come, Nightfall. Let us go.”

Then Secret Fire tripped over a rock on the ground and fell flat on his face. A small explosion ensued.


“The catapult is safely stored away, yes?” Emerald sat down on a crate and leaned back against the castle’s stone border. She looked up at the sky, which was slowly turning orange.

“Safely stored,” Sir Prancelot repeated, looking in the direction of the castle’s stores. “I trust these druids will no longer be troubling us either. They are being escorted to prison as we speak.”

“Aye, that they are.” Sir Lionheart adjusted his wavy blonde hair and smirked. “Smart of them to surrender. They would have just wasted their lives for nothing if they attempted to fight us. We have the shield. They cannot defeat it.”

“Especially not if Lady Emerald wields it.” Sir Trotivere folded his arms and pointed to the former pegasus.

“Aye, that be true.” The quiet Sir Boercival nodded. “Still, it is fortunate the… mishap went on for such a short duration. It would be inconvenient if they had more time with the catapult.”

“And where were you lot when we fought?” Sir Morn Dread asked his fellow knights with a chuckle. “Only Sir Lionheart and Lady Emerald were there with me.”

“The guard did not alert us to any trouble.” Sir Agramane shrugged. “We simply spent our time back at the castle hall after returning from the demonstration.”

“Drinking, eh?” Sir Morn folded his arms.

“Only five mugs of ale. Nothing more.” Sir Ganeighn leaned back and adjusted his sword belt.

“Each.” Prancelot reminded.

“Oh, you knights…” Emerald closed her eyes and laughed. They were surely an interesting bunch of humans. No. Not just any humans. They were an interesting bunch of friends.


“Keep moving.” Guard Emerald Edge shoved the druid all the way at the back of the group.

“I’m moving…” she grumbled, jingling her arm chains, which linked down to chains around her legs too. “I can only move so fast with these.”

“Just move…” Guard Emerald shoved her again.

The druid pretended to slip to the side, just slightly, finding the best of spots to fulfill her role. Just by the corner was a grate likely leading down to the sewer system below. Light shone down from the window, right down through the grate.

Tilting her sleeve just slightly, the druid felt the contents of her small concealed pouch tip out, sliding out and down through the grate, with the guards none the wiser.

Righting herself, the druid pretended to regain her footing before following behind her comrades.

Eventually, they were placed into a prison cell, their chains removed as the guards locked the door behind them.

“Such poor conditions…” the bearded druid kicked at a bundle of hay. “Dagger Drip, is it done?”

The female druid looked about, making sure the guards were indeed gone. “Did it easily enough. The seeds have been planted. With sunlight and water, our plan shall come to fruition eventually.”

“Eventually…” their third companion said. “Looks like we will be here a while.”

“Yes, but when it is time…” The bearded druid smirked. “Canterlot will fall.”


PreviousChapters Next