• Published 19th Oct 2015
  • 387 Views, 5 Comments

Waning and Waxing - Calliope Pony



What happened a thousand years ago when Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon? And what happened in the present when she tried to seize power again? What was going through her head the whole time?

  • ...
 5
 387

Chapter 23

At first the heat of the light is like pain. It darts into me, almost ripping me apart. It tears away at the dark energy that consumed me all those centuries ago, separating That-Which-Is-Amphilogia from That-Which-Is-Luna. Amphilogia’s power and influence are torn away and discarded.

Then the pain subsides. The heat shifts to a comfortable warmness. I’ve been cold for so long that I can’t remember the last time I felt warm. Before it felt like I was being tightly bound, but now it feels like I’m being cradled. It feels so comfortable as I start to remember things from long ago.

I remember when Celestia and I were little fillies and we used to hide ourselves away together trading secrets. I remember how my big sister would make me feel better when I was hurt or upset. I remember telling jokes to each other. I remember sharing gifts at birthdays and Hearth’s Warmings. I remember how we stood side by side at our coronation as we pledged to watch over the land and all the ponies who dwelt there. Most of all, I remember how much I truly love my sister... and how much she loves me.

For the first time in a very, very, very long time I feel truly happy. Then the rush of power and emotion overwhelms me, and I feel myself pass out.

I think it’s only a few minutes later as I start to come to. I feel so... drained. The Elements must have stripped me of much of my magic and power for I feel diminished, and my mane hangs limply about my head instead of flowing. I feel a little disoriented as I open my eyes and see the sunlit stone of the tower.

“Princess Luna.”

I gasp to see Celestia stepping toward me. All at once, everything that has happened comes crashing down on me. How could I have done that? How could I have let myself be overcome by dark magic? I hurt my sister, hurt all those ponies! I broke our vows to guard the land. I almost killed her! I became a monster. Everything I did was unforgivable! Celestia must hate me now!

I brace myself for her anger, but she lies down gently beside me.

“It has been a thousand years since I have seen you like this. Time to put our differences behind us. We were meant to rule together, little sister.”

She stands and takes a step backward, giving me the opportunity to approach her.

“Will you accept my friendship?”

I can’t believe that she could possibly be willing to forgive everything I’ve done. She ought to turn her back on me, exile me from Equestria for good this time.

But I feel a desperate need for closeness welling up inside me. Crying, I throw myself against her.

“I’m so sorry! I missed you so much, big sister!”

“I’ve missed you too.”