• Published 19th Oct 2015
  • 387 Views, 5 Comments

Waning and Waxing - Calliope Pony



What happened a thousand years ago when Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon? And what happened in the present when she tried to seize power again? What was going through her head the whole time?

  • ...
 5
 387

Chapter 24

Celestia and I are silent as we walk back through the forest. Celestia leads the way, and I stay close behind. The other ponies trail a little way behind us. I can hear them talking in low voices, but I can’t make out what they’re saying. I don’t want to make out what they’re saying.

We’re met at the edge of the forest by royal guards with a gold chariot. They are clearly relieved to see her after her disappearance. They throw questioning glances at me, but they’re too well-disciplined to ask any questions as Celestia gestures for me to follow her into the chariot.

Once we’re settled she asks for the Elements. They’ve transformed from stones back into jewels, but they look different than they used to. Each one, except the Element of Magic, has changed shape to resemble the cutie mark of the pony wearing it. What’s very strange is that the Element of Magic looks just as it always has, but seeing it close to her I realize that Twilight’s cutie mark looks just like the jewel.

Celestia tucks the Elements safely away in the chariot’s storage compartment, and the guards draw us back into the town. I can hear the jubilant sounds of celebration long before we arrive in the town center. All around me ponies are laughing and dancing and partying. I just stand there feeling so guilty. These ponies are the same ones I threatened and menaced just a few hours ago.

Without warning, two little pegasus fillies fly up and offer me some flowers. They drape the roses around my neck and swiftly fly back to continue playing. It’s such a small gesture, but it means so much that I get teary-eyed.

We don’t stay in the town long. Celestia speaks with the ponies who used the Elements for a few minutes, and then we get back into the chariot. The pegasus guards beat their wings, and we take off, leaving the merriment behind us.

For the first time since we left the castle I speak quietly.

“Where are we going, Celestia?”

“To Canterlot. That’s where I live now, and a capital city has grown up around the new castle. I couldn’t bear to stay in the old castle after... well, we’ll talk in private after we get there.”

I duck my head, shame burning at my cheeks.

I soon see Canterlot Mountain drawing close, and at the side an unfamiliar city juts out like a cliff. It looks very beautiful from a distance. I should have guessed that Celestia would have returned to our old home after I found the castle abandoned-“

I choke back tears at the thought of what I did to our wonderful castle.

The chariot lands at the entrance to the palace, and a crowd of ponies spills out to meet it. They are all excited, all talking very fast. I can hear bits and pieces about how scared they were when the sun didn’t come up, how glad they are to see Celestia safe... how curious they are about who I am.

Celestia stands tall and addresses them.

“Quiet, quiet please, everypony. I know you were frightened by this morning’s events, but I assure you all is well now. I want to introduce you all to my sister, Princess Luna.”

The ponies break into a fresh round of murmurs, and the curious stares grow more intense.

“Please settle down. My sister has been gone from this land for a very long time, and her return is a cause for great joy. However, it has been a long day for both of us. Formal introductions and greetings will wait. For now, we shall retire to my chambers. I would like dinner for two sent up, but otherwise we are not to be disturbed.”

All the ponies bow low as Celestia steps down from the chariot, and I follow so close I’m almost sticking to her flank. I keep my eyes on the ground in front of me, not wanting to make eye contact with any of them.

I follow Celestia through the palace, up flights of stairs, until we come to an ornate golden door. Celestia opens it, and we step into her rooms. As soon as the door is securely closed Celestia throws herself at me and begins sobbing.

“Oh, Luna, I missed you!”

Next thing I know we’re on the floor, hugging each other as tight as we can. Neither one of us can get any words out through the tears. It’s been so long. It’s been so very, very long.

After a while we grow quiet, and we both need to get our breath back. Celestia looks at me and laughs a little. Then she uses her magic to summon two wet towels from a doorway that must lead to a wash room. I laugh a little at her face too as we use the towels to mop away our tears.

We continue to hug until a light tap at the door announces the arrival of dinner. Celestia makes sure her face is presentable and lets in the serving pony. Once the meal is laid out she tells him not to bother about the dishes until the morning and sends him away.

The food is good, but I don’t have much appetite. We pick at it and toy with it. I want to talk, but I don’t know what to say. I get the feeling that Celestia feels the same way. When we do try to speak we interrupt each other.

“Celestia I-“

“Luna-“

We pause.

“You go ahead-“

“You-“

We pause again, and then we laugh softly, sadly. It’s been so long.

Celestia takes a deep breath and smiles. “It’s almost time to set the sun. All this time I’ve been moving the sun and moon on my own, managing the best I could without you. Princess Luna, will you resume your royal duty?”

“Yes.”

We walk to the window and look at the sky. Celestia’s horn glows as she sets the sun. Then she steps aside and looks at me.

It’s been a thousand years. A thousand years since I failed in my duty. I take a deep breath and reach out to the moon with my magic. There it is, feeling as natural and meaningful as the morning I earned my cutie mark. The moon gently rises up, bathing the city in silver light.