• Published 19th Oct 2015
  • 391 Views, 5 Comments

Waning and Waxing - Calliope Pony



What happened a thousand years ago when Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon? And what happened in the present when she tried to seize power again? What was going through her head the whole time?

  • ...
 5
 391

Chapter 15

I turn my body into smoke again and float toward the main part of the hall. I can hear commotion. It sounds like Celestia should have made her entrance by now, and the ponies are worried.

“She’s gone!” I hear a mare’s voice call in astonishment.

Well then, if it’s an entrance from their ruler that they want, I will be happy to oblige. I spill my smoke form onto the spotlit balcony and reveal myself.

“Oh, my beloved subjects, it’s been so long since I’ve seen your precious little sun-loving faces.”

None of them bow or give any sign of respect. They cringe and cower away from me.

“What did you do with our princess?” A pegasus tries to fly at me, but another pony holds her back

“What? Am I not royal enough for you? Don’t you know who I am? Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?”

“I did!”

The speaker is a purple unicorn mare standing in the crowd.

“And I know who you are. You’re the mare in the moon, Nightmare Moon!”

“Well, well, well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I’m here?”

“You’re here to... to...” Her words trail off as she cowers away from me. I laugh at her fear.

“Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last! From this moment forth, the night will last forever!”

A beige mare cries out, “Seize her! Only she knows where the princess is!”

Pegasus guards fly at me, just as they did a thousand years ago. Just as before, it is easy to knock them away. “Stand back, you foals!”

And with that I turn back into smoke and fly out of the hall. Making an announcement at this tiny little town is one thing, but I must establish my rule over all of Equestria now.

I fly over the Everfree Forest toward the castle. As I see it in the distance I can tell that something’s not quite right. It’s not until I get closer that I realize it looks abandoned. I turn solid again and fly down close. It is abandoned. It looks like nopony has been in here for centuries. There are the holes I made during the fight with Celestia; they were never repaired.

Why abandon the castle? Never mind that, where is the center of Equestria now? I planned to establish myself in Celestia’s place, but I must find out where her new castle is in order to do that.

I had never seen that town near the edge of the Everfree, and the old castle has been abandoned. Clearly, Equestria’s geography has changed while I was banished. I mull it over for a few minutes and then decide to go back to the town. If Celestia was there then no doubt I can pick up some useful information.