• Published 19th Oct 2015
  • 387 Views, 5 Comments

Waning and Waxing - Calliope Pony



What happened a thousand years ago when Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon? And what happened in the present when she tried to seize power again? What was going through her head the whole time?

  • ...
 5
 387

Chapter 14

I burst forth from the moon’s grip and teleport down to hover high in the Equestrian sky. Where is she? I cast about with my magic until I can sense the sun’s power and head towards it.

It is night now, but it looks like it is almost the time for dawn. I soar down to a small town, near the edge of the Everfree Forest, where I sense Celestia’s power. It’s not a town I know, but it looks like any place where ponies might live. Why is Celestia here instead of the castle or some major city?

The town is dark except for a large building that looks like the main hall. It is clearly lit up, and the noise of many bustling ponies comes from within. As I fly toward it I notice that the town is decked with ribbons and banners. I pause to read the largest one: “Welcome Princess Celestia! 1000th Summer Sun Celebration!”

The Summer Sun Celebration!? That arrogant fool of a sister has continued that abominable festival for the past thousand years? My rage boils even higher than before.

Clearly the hall is where the celebration is being held. And the crowd of ponies within has gathered to cheer the sunrise and banish the night, just as that other crowd did a thousand years ago.

If Celestia still has the same taste in entrances I expect she will be in some small room in the back from which she can approach her public. I change my body into smoke so that I can sneak in unseen.

The hall is small. It takes only a few minutes to find the room where she is waiting to make her entrance. She is standing there all alone. With my magic, I dim the lights and appear before her.

“Celestia! I have returned to finish what I started a thousand years ago. Now you will suffer!”

She looks at me so calmly, so sadly, that I don’t know what to make of it. It looks like she was expecting me. Is she planning something?

“Luna, I have missed you so much.”

“Enough sentimentality! Prepare to defend yourself!”

“Luna, oh Luna, my sister, I will not fight you.”

“You said that once before,” I sneer.

“This time I truly mean it. I cannot restore you to your true self now any more than I could a thousand years ago. I hope that another can take up that task and succeed where I failed. There is nothing I can do now but wait and hope.”

“There is nopony powerful enough to overthrow me!”

“That is true. You and I are the most powerful ponies in all of Equestria, and I am powerless except to tell you that I love you.”

The annoying little twinge in the back of my mind tries to respond to her words, but I have no time for that.

“If you will not fight me, then bow to your defeat!”

Celestia bows her head and stands still as I blast her with the banishing spell and condemn her to a millennium in the sun.