• Published 18th Nov 2011
  • 10,083 Views, 287 Comments

Major Problems - asmariamoon



Can Trixie make what was previously a lie into a truth? And can she do it alone?

  • ...
10
 287
 10,083

Chapter 6: Sweet Dreams

Major Problems

By Asmaria Moon

Chapter 6

Sweet Dreams

Trixie was lying on Twilight's floor, the copy of her mother's autobiography that Twilight had talked about floating open in front of her as she listened to the sound of Twilight's flourishes. Suddenly, she heard the sound she was listening for, a long, straight flourishing noise. "Ooh, that was a good one. Try it again, just like that." she said, turning towards her new student so she could see. Twilight picked the cards up with her magic again, and applied pressure at the corners, then released it, but the cards once again came out in short spurts.

Twilight slumped to the floor of her library, dejected. "I'm never going to be able to do it right!" she complained. Trixie walked over to Twilight, floating the book behind her, and put a hoof on her back.

"Do you want to know what Trixie does when she starts to lose faith, Twilight?" Trixie asked. Twilight nodded sadly. "She thinks of her mother." Trixie said, floating the autobiography towards Twilight. "The Great Lapis Lazuli could overcome any challenge set before her. When Trixie is lacking in inspiration, she thinks of her mother, and suddenly, Trixie has the power to accomplish anything." Trixie said, smiling down at Twilight. Twilight smiled back, and got to her hooves. She took the cards in her magic once again, a determined look in her eyes, and applied pressure, then released it. The cards shot out in front of her in one long flourish.

"I did it! I did it! Oh, thank you so much, Trixie!" Twilight said, wrapping her forehooves around Trixie once again in a hug.

"T... Trixie did nothing. Thank the Great Lapis." Trixie said, blushing again.

"Nothing, my flank! You had faith in me, even when I didn't have any in myself! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Twilight said, hugging Trixie tighter.

"W... what kind of teacher... would Trixie be if s... she lost faith in her... only student?" Trixie asked while trying to catch her breath, but unable to really do so because Twilight was squeezing her too hard.

Twilight finally realized that she was hugging Trixie too hard, and immediately let go. "Heheh... sorry, Trixie... guess I got a little bit overexcited."

"A little bit? Trixie almost saw her Great and Powerful life flashing before her eyes!" Trixie said, taking a few deep breaths now that she was able to breathe again.

Twilight giggled nervously. "Sorry..." she said, frowning a bit.

Trixie smiled back at Twilight. "It's okay, Trixie forgives you." she said, and Twilight slowly smiled as well. "Now then, it's getting late, and Trixie needs her sleep. She would ask if she could borrow this..." Trixie said, floating the autobiography of the Great Lapis towards Twilight, "...but Trixie knows how much it means to you." Trixie finished.

"Don't be silly, Trixie, of course you can borrow it! She's your mother, after all, and this is a library. Lending ponies books is sort of my job." Twilight said.

"Thank you, Twilight. Trixie shall return it to you tomorrow." Trixie said, smiling as she floated the book back to herself.

"Please, keep it as long as it takes you to finish it." Twilight said.

"As she said before, Trixie shall return it tomorrow." Trixie repeated, confident that she could finish the book in just a day. "Keep practicing your flourishes, student." she added as she walked toward the library door, the book floating behind her.


"And now, the Great Trixie's beautiful assistant, the Powerful Twilight, shall step into the Chamber Of Doom! Watch in awe as the Great Trixie pierces the Chamber Of Doom time and time again with razor-sharp scimitars! Do not worry, fillies and gentlecolts, for the Great Trixie shall now remove the scimitars and open the Chamber Of Doom! As you can see, the Powerful Twilight is completely unharmed! The Great Trixie thanks you, and hopes you have a nice night!"


Trixie awoke from her strange dream with a start. Twilight? As her assistant? Just where had she gotten that from? Sure, when her parents had been younger, her father had served as her mother's assistant in many of her magic shows, but there was a great deal of trust involved between a showmare and her assistant, not to mention synchronization and memorizing the intricacies of every trick. Trixie realized she was over-thinking this. It was just a strange dream, nothing more. She slowly began to fall asleep again.


Trixie was just a filly, barely four years old. She could hear her mother singing to her softly.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are grey.

You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away."

Trixie felt herself snuggling deeper into the blankets that surrounded her.

"The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping,

I dreamed I held you in my arms.

But when I woke, dear, I was mistaken,

And I hung my head and cried.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are grey.

You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away."

Trixie was barely conscious of her surroundings, she could feel herself on the verge of sleep, but as her mother finished singing, she bent her head over Trixie and kissed her on the forehead. Trixie frowned a bit as she felt her mother's loving presence leave her bedside. She wished her mother could stay there forever, never leaving her. She heard her father's voice at the doorway to her room. "Beautiful." he said, so softly that Trixie could barely hear him, though Trixie couldn't really tell if he meant her, her mother, or her mother's singing, or all three at once. She didn't really care, though, she was caught in the bliss between consciousness and deep, fulfilling sleep.

"I know, isn't she?" Trixie's mother said just as softly, looking back over her shoulder at Trixie.

"Mark Pyrite's words, one day, she's going to grow up to be an amazing showmare, just like her mother." Trixie's father said.

"You flatter me, Pyrite." Trixie's mother said.

"The Powerful Pyrite always aims to please, especially when it comes to pleasing the Great Lapis Lazuli." Pyrite said, smirking at Lapis. Any response she might have made was lost to Trixie as she finally passed the borderline into a deep sleep.


Trixie awoke again, this time from a memory about her parents. She smiled as she remembered the warm feeling of her mother standing by her bedside, singing her to sleep. Her eyes suddenly filled with tears as she realized that she'd never feel that particular warmth again. Through her blurry vision caused by her tears, Trixie's eyes fell upon the book that Twilight had loaned her, her mother's autobiography. Trixie wrapped her magic gently around the book, and flipped it open as she tried to dry her tears with a hoof. She found the bookmark she had placed on the page at which she left off, and began to read.

"In my lifetime, I have performed many feats of magic. Some more noteworthy than others, a few happened to turn out to be downright failures. But I believe that the greatest feat of magic I have performed in my entire life was not accomplished on a stage in front of thousands of ponies. Nor was it completely my doing, for my husband had a hoof in it as well. The absolute greatest magical feat I have performed was creating my daughter.

Some may say that this isn't magic. I say that magic is the only worthy explanation for it. My daughter is absolutely everything that I could ask for. Some days, she is the only thing that gives me strength, but on those days, she is more than enough. There is only one thing more that I wish from her that she hasn't already given me. I hope that one day, she will grow up to be a beautiful and talented mare who will put even me to shame."

Trixie's eyes were filled with tears once again, but these were not tears of sadness over the loss of her mother. Instead, they were tears of joy after finding out that her mother had written such beautiful words about her. Trixie put the bookmark in place and floated the book back to her nightstand, rolling over in her bed and trying to go back to sleep.


In the morning, Trixie was walking towards Twilight's library. The rest of her night had been thankfully peaceful. As she walked through the center of Ponyville, she saw a familiar-looking pink and purple mane with a tiara topping it. "Miss Tiara!" Trixie exclaimed, trying to get the young filly's attention. Diamond Tiara turned around, a smile on her face, but as she spotted the pony who had called her name, her face fell into a frown, and Trixie didn't blame her.

"Oh, it's you. What do you want? Here to turn my tiara into a jester's hat again? Or perhaps a dunce cap? Or maybe a propeller beanie?" Diamond Tiara asked, and Trixie had to fight to keep a straight face.

"No, the Great and Powerful Trixie is here to apologize. The things Trixie said yesterday were horrible, and what she did to your tiara was even more so. Trixie understands if you do not wish to forgive her." Trixie said.

Diamond Tiara couldn't contain her laughter. "You even talk like that off-stage? I thought it was all an act! What, did someone buck you upside the head when you were a foal?" she asked.

Trixie gritted her teeth, and tried to keep in mind what she was here for. If she didn't apologize, if instead, she lashed out at Diamond Tiara, Fluttershy would no doubt be horribly disappointed in her. "Miss Tiara, as she said before, Trixie is here to apologize for the horrible things she said yesterday, and for turning your tiara into a jester's hat. If you do not wish to accept Trixie's apology, just say so, and Trixie will leave." Trixie said.

"No, wait. I'm sorry, Trixie, I don't know why I said that, it just slipped out before I could stop it. Of course I'll forgive you, and I'd like to make an apology of my own. I'm sorry about what I said about your show. It was actually pretty good, I shouldn't have called it lame, or called you a no-talent hack. I guess I was just a little jealous of all the attention you were getting. I hope you can forgive me." Diamond Tiara said.

"Trixie forgives you, Miss Tiara. Now, if you'll excuse her, Trixie must meet with Twilight to see how her practicing is coming along." Trixie said, pointing towards the tree which housed Twilight's library.

"Good luck with that, Trixie." Diamond Tiara said.

"Have a nice day, Miss Tiara." Trixie replied, continuing towards the library.

When Trixie reached the library, she knocked on the door three times. After a loud crash and what sounded like a lot of grumbling, the door in front of her opened, but Trixie didn't see anypony there in front of her. All she saw was a large pile of books and a ladder that had fallen over from one of the bookshelves. That is, until she looked down at her hooves.

"You!" the little purple-and-green-scaled dragon shouted as he realized who Trixie was. "What the hay are you doing here, Trixie?" he asked.

"Now, Spike, that's no way to greet my new teacher. Maybe if you wouldn't have slept in until noon yesterday and the day before, you would have seen Trixie's apology to the town and yesterday's magic show." Twilight said, coming down the stairs from her personal quarters to the main library.

"Wait... Trixie? Apologize? New teacher? You're pulling my leg, right, Twilight?" Spike asked.

"I'm not pulling your leg. Trixie's changed since she was last here, Spike." Twilight said.

"Yeah, right. Did Pinkie and Dash put you up to this? Is this some kind of prank?" Spike asked.

"Trixie has changed, Spike. She has learned that boasting too much can get you into trouble, and also to stay far away from those two fancolts." Trixie said.

"You're serious? Well, whatever. If you need me, Twilight, I'll be back in bed." Spike said.

"Spike, what about your mess?" Twilight asked, looking at the pile of books that had fallen off the bookshelf.

"Too tired. You've got magic, don't you? You clean it up." Spike said, yawning. "It's Trixie's fault anyway, she's the one that scared me when she knocked." he added.

Twilight muttered something under her breath that Trixie could barely catch the tail end of, something about a "Lazy-flanked dragon." She went over to the pile of books and started to sort them with her telekinesis.

"Perhaps Trixie can help?" Trixie asked, taking some of the books in her telekinesis. "It was, after all, Trixie's knock that caused Spike to fall." she said.

"Thank you, Trixie, that would be much appreciated." Twilight said as they both began floating books up to the shelf from which they'd fallen. After Twilight floated the last book up to its place, Trixie took hold of the ladder with her magic and floated it to lean against the bookshelf.

"Now then, it is time for Trixie to check up on the progress of her most faithful student." Trixie said, causing Twilight to blush deeply.

"Ummm... Trixie, I'm your only student." Twilight said as she turned away, trying to hide her blush.

"Details, details. One day, Trixie might have hundreds of students wanting to learn how to be Great and Powerful from her, but you shall still be considered her most faithful as long as you keep making progress at the pace you have been. Now, did you practice any more?" Trixie asked, floating her cards out of their box and shuffling them idly as she looked at Twilight.

"Of course. Would you like to see?" Twilight asked.

"Please, show Trixie how far you've come." Trixie replied. Twilight took her own deck of cards in her magic, and flourished the cards in front of her in one long flourish. She then flourished the cards back to the side of her that they'd started from, again in one straight line. "That is wonderful, Twilight. Trixie is proud to call herself your teacher." Trixie said, causing Twilight to blush once again. Trixie really didn't know why Twilight was blushing at her words, but she did know that she kind of liked the way Twilight looked when she blushed. Not that she'd admit it to anypony. "Anyway, you seem to have gotten quite skilled at the spring flourish, so if you are willing, it is time to move on." Trixie said.

"What did you have in mind, my Great and Powerful teacher?" Twilight asked, and Trixie blushed a bit as the purple mare used her title.

Trixie took her cards in her magic and began to dribble through the deck. "Trixie was thinking she could teach you how to cut a deck with style." Trixie said, swiveling the top half of the deck around by a corner of it, and flipping it twice to land face-down under the bottom half of the deck. She then turned it so that it was flush with the rest of the deck. "This is all in the telekinesis. It's impossible to do this with your hooves, unlike a spring flourish, which technically you could do with your hooves, you'd just need magic or something else to catch the cards." Trixie said, performing the cut again.

"While you're holding onto the bottom of the deck with your magic, push on the top half of the deck to separate it from the bottom, then swivel it around the back right corner. Grab hold of it when it's perpendicular to the bottom half, then flip it over twice quickly so that it lands on the bottom of the deck. Now swivel it around the same corner until it's straight with the other half of the deck again." Trixie said, performing the actions as she described them. Twilight tried the trick, pushing the top half out with her magic, then swiveling it around the back right corner. While she was trying to flip the cards, she lost control of them and almost dropped them, barely catching them in her telekinesis before they hit the floor. "Do not be discouraged, Twilight. It takes a lot of practice to do these flourishes correctly." Trixie said.


Author's note: I'd like to thank Fox-sama for inspiring Trixie's first dream. Sorry about the bit of sad after the second dream. Trust me, it was hard for me to write that part. I had to call my mother and tell her I love her in order to feel better.