• Published 30th May 2012
  • 708 Views, 24 Comments

The Exegesis of Frozen Waters - HolyJunkie



A first-hand account of Equestrian history can be scary to those who maintain the utopia.

  • ...
 24
 708

Chapter 4

[PAGE 0482 - CHAPTER 4]

The Rhinos kept me in pain when I was one day captured by them.

Oh what's that? I was already home? Oh yeah, that's right... there was something there. Let me see if I can remember how I got in Elasmotheria.

I think it had to do with something about Galaxia requesting I join a team of scouts to spy on the Rhinos, seeing as I was one of the only ponies who ever got up close to a Rhino and lived. She didn't appear to want to hear my side of the story. Let's face it: Winged pegaswinged unicornwinged unicorni are desperate when the safety of their underlings are on the line.

Wait, underlings isn't that good of a word... Eh, I'll think of something more dignified.

This was all done after the war, mind you. Galaxia wanted to make sure the Rhinos weren't planning anything.

The team I was a part of was myself and two others. We spent a few days training, mostly our running and stamina, anyway. No way three of us could take Elasmotherian guards, even if the odds were three to one. I got the logic. Just run like hell, as Captain Tonfa said.

Tonfa was a good stallion. He and Zany were my comrades in this assignment.

Tonfa specialised in mass telekinesis. He was a real magician, using every blade at his disposal to simultaneously stab the rhino that could have killed him. Zany was a pegasus who was downed behind enemy lines, but managed to escape. He never told me the specifics.

Or maybe I just don't remember.

My name is Frozen Waters. My name is Frozen Waters. I am an earth pony who cannot die.

We arrived in Elasmotheria a week later. More specifically, we managed to infiltrate their capital city of Lefaya Massif.

Even today, I have no idea why it's called that. I like to think it's named after a prominent matriarch. Our capital city is named after King Canterlot, anyway. Rather egotistical, I would think... I should try to remember some details on the King... Damn, nothing right now.

Anyway, we were spotted. I helped Tonfa and Zany escape, at the cost of my freedom.

They killed me- Wait, no... They tried to kill me. They couldn't. They had me tied up and bleeding in this dark room. Some bright torch light was focused onto my face, blinding my eyes. Even when my eyes were closed, I saw nothing but light.

The torment they inflicted upon me would make the entirety of the Gryphon conflict look like child's play... because it bloody was child's play! Ponies today don't know a single thing about agony.

The light finally moved away, and there stood Kurgan Indrik.

He asked me who I was... I responded. My name is Frozen Waters. I didn't care that this was the first time Kurgan spoke. In battle, he had this boastful roar that shook the planet. His voice was calming, soothing, and actually kind of sexy. This is a male pony saying this, by the way. It's the kind of voice one narrates for a Daring Do serial.

Don't be fooled by his calm demeanor. He is the epitome of evil. Anyone remember Discord? I can vouch that he too had a calming, soothing, and actually kind of sexy voice... but he was also really damn evil.

That's a story for a later chapter. Kurgan Indrik was curious as to why I wouldn't die.

"You are immortal," he finally said.

"I wouldn't know about that," I replied.

"You are Frozen Waters, and you cannot die."

I asked "What's it to you?"

"We are the same. We cannot die."

I disagreed that the very thinking, living creatures that were Kurgan Indrik and Frozen Waters were remotely the same, in any way, on this planet. I wanted to see my sister and brother again. Kurgan just wanted to kill and maim and terrorize.

"We are brothers."

I spat blood into Kurgan's face. I felt the pain of the accelerated healing starting to fade as I recovered fully.

"That was a joke," Kurgan added as he rose a massive hoof to wipe the miniscule blood spatter..

"Why keep me if I can't die?"

"Perhaps if I find out how to kill you, I can protect myself from a similar fate."

My heart skipped a beat, and Kurgan felt it. I could feel his monstrous heart do the same. Both of us were nervous... although I was not sure what Kurgan felt nervous about.

If he found such a unique method to kill an immortal, then he can create a defense against it... but then, such an addition of protection would be noticed by clever ponies, and they would find a way around said protection.

If he didn't find one, then he should be grateful. After all, if he's truly invincible, he can outlast Galaxia.

I don't quite remember how I escaped. Something about Galaxia bearing down the full force of the sun, and charring the roof of the building into nothingness. I, like the rhinos, was blinded by the intense light, and I sweat up a monsoon. Just as soon as the light erupted, I felt a tug around my abdomen, and I felt I was flying.

Oh wait, I do remember.

Zany had come with a fellow Pegasus to save me, with assistance from Galaxia herself. They carried me out as quickly as they arrived. I never saw Kurgan Indrik again. Was I worth such a risky assault? Even now, I'm not sure. Maybe Kurgan could've found a way to kill me. Maybe that would be a step toward his ultimate defeat.

I think too much.

Kurgan shouted after us. "You claim our land will burn if we attack you again! What of your actions? Your precious spies? What of what doesn't belong to you?" That was pretty excellent, that cheesy "Life is Unfair" whining from Kurgan Indrik of all things. "Another time, Waters!" he finished... and I felt a chill down my spine.

I returned home a hero... I guess... I didn't really do much. My sister had gotten married. My brother as well. Their respective special someponies were both very handsome.

I started wearing casual suits. Even with my unnatural regeneration, most scars remained. I don't think my parents wanted to see them, nor my siblings... or even their children.

Mum suggested it was time for me to find a nice filly and settle down. I replied I wanted to continue my education in Canterlot. However, I first needed to scrounge funds to pay for it.

That took me four years. I moved to the outpost of Manehattan and contributed to the construction of wooden shacks that would eventually be replaced by the skyscrapers you have today. I put together so much money by the end of it all.

Finally, a real education. Something more useful than learning how to get stabbed repeatedly.

---

Silver watched the train vanish over the horizon. Deep down, he hoped his coworkers would at least notice the trunks of books belonged to the scriptwriter, and would keep them safe at the studio, or something. He also hoped they would report he's missing.

Mitts patted a massive hoof onto the scriptwriter's shoulder. "Now then, how far have you gotten in that book?"

"Page a hundred and forty-three," Silver replied.

"Is there any mention of a rhino named Kurgan Indrik?"

"Frozen Waters was a deserter in that war. There's a lot of mention of that rhino."

"Anything about what Kurgan was like?" Mitts probed.

"Why? What's he to you?"

"I need to know what he knew," the burgundy one replied.

"Well I haven't read much farther even if I could," Silver moved away from Mitts. "This thing's over eight thousand pages long."

"Anything about magic?" Trixie's voice reached the other two.

Both turned to see the unicorn mare with her full garb equipped. Mitts was the first to ask, "Who in the world are you?"

Trixie almost gave the imposing powerhorse a death glare. Silver spotted it, and assumed Mitts didn't care. "Okay then," Mitts continued, "Why are you following us?"

"Boredom, mostly," Trixie replied.

"What about your luggage?" Silver asked.

The mare's response was a gesture to her cloak and hat.

Mitts sighed with the resonance of a lion. "Well, in the meantime, there will be more coming for the book," Mitts said, "Here's the deal: You read the book, and I'll make sure it won't get taken from you. Sound good?"

Silver gave Mitts an almost offended expression, "Seriously? You kind of kidnapped me."

"No I didn't," Mitts said, "I didn't force you to come with me. I didn't physically pull you off the train. That was your own doing."

Silver blinked, then planted a hoof onto his face. "Okay, what's passed is passed. What are we supposed to do now? We're on the edge of buffalo territory."

Mitts shrugged, the scriptwriter frowned. "You're kidding," Trixie flatly stated.

"Come on, we'll follow the tracks the other way," Mitts said.

Silver shrugged. He and the street magician followed the burgundy one on the tracks. As they trotted, Silver pulled the book out and hovered it in front of his face. He continued reading, and ignored everything around him.

Mitts began to gallop, followed by the scriptwriter and the street magician. Silver immediately noticed the athleticism and dexterity of the giant. Sure Mitts looked about the same size as the average guard, but that stallion was fast.

"Oi! Wait up!" Silver shouted.

Mitts immediately slowed down to a simple walk. "Sorry," he said, "I'm used to traveling alone.

The horizon was as flat as a crepe. This was fitting; the area is buffalo territory, the land between Manehattan and the distant Trottingham.

---

"You know what I'd love to have right now?" Silver said rather loudly as he read, "A typewriter."

"Why did you keep the book, anyway?" Mitts asked.

"What's with the book, anyway?" Trixie asked.

"It's a good read," Silver replied, "This Frozen Waters guy's got a bit of an annoying first-person style to his writing, but I never fault a story on that alone. How about you?"

"Huh?" The burgundy earth pony and the cyan unicorn asked.

"Why are you after it?" The indigo unicorn asked, "Why were those other ponies after it? I know Kurgan isn't the only thing you're looking for."

Trixie slowly nodded after realising the question was not directed to her.

"Those strangers were after it because it contains secrets Celestia would prefer burned. I'm after it because I need those secrets."

Silver pondered if why Celestia would allow it to stay intact within a safe instead of burned.

"Being an imposing brute as yourself, I find it hard to believe your intentions could be any different," Trixie quipped.

"I'll pretend you didn't say that," Mitts retorted.

"You're an immortal, aren't you?" Silver asked in a rather teasing tone.

Trixie made a verbal grunt of confusion. Mitts didn't reply; instead, he sighed.

"An immortal?" Trixie asked, "As in you can't die?"

Silver continued with a chuckle. "When'd you find out?" the playwright asked.

"A few weeks ago," Mitts replied.

"Excuse me. Trixie demands an explanation!" Trixie spat.

Mitts halted. His head turned rather slowly toward the cyan unicorn. "Did I demand your presence?" he growled, "I'm certain I didn't. Maybe you can enlighten me: why did you even come along?"

"The same reason we're all here, right?" Trixie passed the burgundy giant.

"You're also after the book?" Mitts replied as he continued trotting.

"I think she's talking about a different reason, the reason that came before the specific objective," Silver said, "We ended up here because we're bored."

Mitts huffed amusedly, juxtaposing against his annoyed expression, "Can't argue with that. I like her."

They continued trotting down the railway track until Mitts began to pick up the pace. Silver and Trixie followed suit.

"What's happening?" Trixie asked.

"This sounds like the time for an encounter with buffalo," Silver said.

"Where on Equestria do you come up with these ideas?" Mitts asked.

Silver didn't answer. He continued reading during his light gallop.

"I guess that's what scriptwriters do, even the lowly ones," Trixie said.

The trio stopped, as Silver's guess turned out to be right. Mitts muttered an expletive, while Trixie turned to face them. A herd of buffalo had arrived from the left side. They appeared to have approached out of curiosity. Before Mitts could say anything mean, or Trixie say anything egotistical, Silver took the initiative to spark conversation.

"Howdy," Silver called.

"Howdy," a buffalo returned the greeting, "What brings you ponies here?"

"We jumped the train because we were bored," Silver replied faster than a twitchy squirrel.

Trixie inched toward Mitts and whispered in his ear. Silver didn't hear it, but he figured it was something akin to an insult, or a compliment toward his immediate honesty.

"You jumped the train because you were bored," the same buffalo repeated in a fashion that implied he wasn't expecting such a swift answer in the first place.

In hindsight, Silver wondered if anypony was prepared for such an answer. He simply replied "That's correct."

The buffalo all glanced at one another. "Aren't you lost?"

"We've got the train tracks to follow," Silver replied, "We'll be fine, thank you."

As the buffalo nodded a farewell and left, Trixie and Mitts stared at the scriptwriter. Mitts had an unusual disappointed look on his face. Trixie looked confused beyond measure.

"What on Equestria was that?" Trixie asked.

Silver shrugged and returned his attention to the book. The trio resumed their trek. As the scriptwriter read, Trixie sped up the pace to trot by the burgundy giant's side. "What exactly do you do?" The street magician asked.

"I live," Mitts replied.

"What about before?"

"I was a guard."

Trixie blinked. Mitts didn't see it, but he could almost feel the unicorn's aura emitting waves of curiosity. The big earth pony sighed and added, "Honestly, I don't want to talk about it."

"The Great and Powerful Trixie demands!" she jokingly snapped. Even Silver couldn't help but barely stifle a chuckle.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie can't even defeat a manticore," Mitts barked back. That shut the cyan unicorn up instantly. In silence, Trixie slowed her pace to reach Silver's right-hand side.

"Bit of a grouch, isn't he?" the street magician asked.

"He's in his early twenties," Silver said.

Trixie flinched, "Seriously? Look how huge he is."

"Well, he did say he was a guard."

"But even for a guard."

Silver shrugged. He just wanted to read. Trixie eventually kept silent due to being distracted by all of the words.

"Who is Frozen Waters?" Trixie asked.

"From what I can tell," Silver replied, "A pony who's been around since the birth of Equestria."