• Published 30th May 2012
  • 708 Views, 24 Comments

The Exegesis of Frozen Waters - HolyJunkie



A first-hand account of Equestrian history can be scary to those who maintain the utopia.

  • ...
 24
 708

Chapter 1

[PAGE 0003 - [CHAPTER 1]

I am Frozen Waters of the family Waters. I was born to Muddy and Fresh Waters, farmer educators of the Earth Pony tribe. My siblings are my older sister Ocean and my younger brother Salt.

You must realise that times were far different from before Celestia and her sister came along to manage harmony across the land, even after we had all united. You, dear reader, would already know of the annual productions across Equestria. That play called "Birth of Equestria."

I was born in a log cabin... no really, I was. I remember one of the council ponies of the Unicorn division helped with the delivery. That's what my mother said when I was nine.

My parents were among the ponies depicted in that play you all love to watch. Mum was bearing me as the second child when the three leaders argued over the horrendous weather. Ocean and Dad worked hard to keep Mum well enough so I could develop.

A few months after the blizzards were pushed away by that flaming heart that today hangs above Canterlot, I arrived to begin my life.

Everypony in my community called me the most adorable little thing. That's pretty excellent, you would think. Unfortunately, the magic of that compliment vanishes when you realise that they all say the same thing regarding any newborn that isn't an ugly hell-spawn.

I knew two of those over my lifetime. One made up for it with an excellent personality, the other was a major flankhole who resented the ugliness and did nothing to make up for it. There's a lesson to be learned there somewhere, I guess. I didn't turn out that shabby myself, I'll admit. Today, I've got battle scars everywhere, but nothing terribly deteriorating.

Yes, battle scars. Equestria wasn't all peaceful after the end of the public's most favoured screenplay.

---

Silver's apartment was that of a minimalist's. The bare basics sat within, rarely disturbed. The kitchen resembled a show room in a hardware store. The only furniture in the living room was a small screen set, a film reel projector, a typewriter, and a few cabinets.

The writer gently pulled one cabinet drawer open and sifted through an assortment of circular cases. From one labeled "THE LAST EARTH PONY", Silver produced a thick reel of three quarter-inch film tape.

After fastening the projector system together for a proper presentation, Silver sat on his low sofa and watched his proudest film displayed on a featureless white wall. Rather, it was his boss' proudest film; The screenplay was trite, yet ponies praised its originality. Silver was regardless thankful that the film's immense success in the theatres and in the Broncos landed even him with the bits and prestige that got him the rather excellent apartment and all the equipment within.

He had bought the projector out of the theatre he went to as a colt, whether it was to watch a film or to work on the devices within. Aside from screenplay writing, Silver fancied himself a good pony to call when a projector needs to be fixed. Unfortunately, chances like that faded when the new digital projectors came out. He didn't miss it; he was a born writer.

The theatre still ran, along the north-west corner of Trottingham's main street. Silver still frequented it for the sake of friendships made there.

The door knocked in a fashion lacking urgency. Silver called for the guest to enter as he turned his head. Nothing happened, influencing Silver to call once more. Still, there was no response. The pony mumbled something random and rose from his sofa once more.

As the projector played The Last Earth Pony, Silver pulled his apartment door open and glanced down both ends of the third floor hallway. There was no pony in either direction aside from the janitor bringing a window to a flawless crystal clarity.

On the ground, where the playwright's door would stand over when closed, was an envelope. "Ah, of course," he muttered, wondering why the unknown mailpony who delivered it didn't simply drop it into his apartment's official mail box.

The unicorn playwright peeled the envelope open through his magic, and found it was from a pony he had not heard from in years: his mum's butler.

Silver's mum passed away.

---

The suburbs of Manehattan were among the most luxurious next to Canterlot's average spire. Rich businessponies, not artists, lived there.

"Cripes," Silver felt a sudden sharp pain of an untwisted knot as he stretched. He descended from the upper bunk of a passenger car; the same train he first entered over twenty-four hours ago. Trottingham was a rather long ways away from Manehattan. The playwright envied those speedy pegasi on occasion.

"Manehattan Central Station, next stop!" A usher pony announced. A few minutes later, Silver stepped out of the station with a seemingly empty set of saddlebags. He only packed necessary bits and the most basic of writing gear. He never left home without a quill, ink, and paper. Who knew when inspiration appeared?

"Hey Silv," came a voice the playwright hadn't heard in over a year. A gold-maned unicorn approached Silver. Both ponies smiled.

"Hey Gold," Silver responded to his brother- who also wore an indigo hide. Aside from Silver's wide-brimmed hat and silver mane, both could be considered twins to the truly colour-blind. Both exchanged a brotherly hug.

"How's work?" Gold asked.

"Like usual," Silver replied.

"Sydney rejected another one of your scripts, eh?" Gold teased.

Sydney... that fat, pompous pony. Silver didn't blame the guy for playing it safe. By all means, a film studio is still a business. "Well, he did accept one of my trite stories." The younger brother replied.

"Hopefully it's better than The Last Earth Pony," Gold commented. It was no secret to Equestria that Silver's brother didn't like The Last Earth Pony. The reviews the older brother wrote are the more well-known in the entire industry.

Silver didn't respond to that rather harsh, yet expected quip. Still, the playwright didn't want to colour his older brother's opinion on something that hadn't even been through pre-production yet.

"At least The Last Earth Pony did land me with enough bits to last me a while." Silver retorted. "How's work yourself?"

Gold laughed at the retort, then answered, "Excellent as always. There are a few ponies I need to meet with this week to elaborate on one of my recent reviews."

Silver smiled, "The Paradise?"

Gold cringed at the mention of the film. "Luna's Socks almighty was that schlock boring."

Silver nodded, knowing exactly what his brother meant. The brothers finally decided- thanks to the vocal concerns of an annoyed citizen- to move their flanks out of the station. Gold called for a carriage, and the two unicorns hopped on. Instructions and bits were given, and the ponies were on their way to the suburbs of Manehattan.

"So yeah, mum's gone." Gold said after the carriage started moving.

"That was sudden," Silver replied with a turn.

"What?" Gold asked, "My mentioning it, or that it happened at all?"

Silver blanked out for a split second before replying, "Both."

Gold nodded and flattened his lips. "Yeah. Last time, she was fit as a fiddle."

"Did you seriously say that?" Silver asked. It was his turn to cringe.

Gold shrugged, "Well, sometimes a trite phrase is what's needed."

Silence filled the carriage for a few seconds. Then the elder brother asked, "What was your other script about? The one Sydney rejected?"

"Well, I've seen Syd in worse moods," Silver elaborated, "It was about a single family stallion with two kids who got caught up in a smuggling operation for Gryphons. It all took place in this large castle full of wicked beasts. Along the way, he meets with a nicer Gryphon, who was a monster hunter. It would be centered around the theme of "The now, or the future" kind of decisions."

"The Gryphon a love interest?" Gold asked.

Silver nodded, then paused as if he just reached an epiphany. "Oh jeez."

"Yeah, that's probably why Syd hated it," Gold chuckled.

"Yeah, Gryphon enemies in Earth Pony, Gryphon enemies in The Wonderbolt," Silver muttered, "Countless others where Gryphons aren't shown in that keen a light. I should've seen that coming!"

The brothers laughed; It was the only thing they could do. Today wasn't that promising a day to begin with.

"How's everyone else aside from Syd?"

"The crew's working on pre-production for the latest project," Silver replied, "Drawing up plans for sets, costumes, the works. You know the process. How about the other critics?"

"They're thinking of moving the location for the next Broncos," Gold said, "Well, I can't really disclose any more. It's not even confirmed, and the paparazzi are everywhere these days."

"Any reason why?" Silver asked, "Canterlot's Amphitheatre is the best in Equestria. Why would they move from there?"

"That's also not to be disclosed, sorry bro."

Silver waved off the apology. Location of the Broncos didn't matter to him; he only cared to one day be nominated for one through his efforts. A Best Screenplay under his mane would make him a desirable scriptwriter in the industry. As he was, he was merely that pony who was Gold's brother.

"I had this idea for a street magician, though," Silver commented, "Not that interesting, really. It's a street magician who's trying to deliver a perfect illusion."

"A perfect illusion?"

"Yeah, as in magically imbed fake memories, or something beyond smoke and mirrors. Not the physical magic we all can use- I mean the kind that fools your mind."

"Sounds like something that would need a lot of exposition," Gold quipped.

"Yeah, I need to figure out something."

The carriage slowed to a halt. Gold and Silver looked out of their respective windows.

The massive barn-shaped manor was among the most expensive-looking pieces of real estate in the entire Manehattan suburbs. The indigo brothers hopped out of their carriage, paid the gentlecolts who transported them, and approached the manor gate.

"Welcome home, Gold and Silver," announced a well-groomed tuxedo-clad pony who was well past his prime, "It's good to see you both again."

"Likewise, Chamberlain," Gold replied for the both of them. "I'd have preferred it under pleasant circumstances."

"Indeed," the butler replied, "Your sisters are inside already. This way."

Chamberlain led Gold and Silver beyond the gate and into the manor. Within was a massive lobby with a central staircase and multiple gold-trimmed doors on nearly every side that led to many of the rooms within the building. The butler led the brothers into a side room on the second floor, where two mares sat, making small talk with a lawyer holding what Silver figured to be the will.

The siblings all greeted each other with hugs all around. Silver got reacquainted with his sisters Platinum and Ruby. Both worked for the Baltimare Fashion Press, the playwright knew. He just wasn't sure what exactly the sisters did.

"So the will reading is being done already?" Silver asked, "Isn't the funeral supposed to come first?"

"You missed it," Ruby replied, "It was yesterday."

"Oh," Silver uttered. He felt a wash of shame over his hide. Verily, it was the pleasant kind of shame, and not at all the kind that makes a pony feel bad for even mentioning what warranted the response at all.

"We took a flight," Platinum said. "You should have as well. The train does take a while from Trottingham."

"What about you?" Silver asked Gold.

"I was waiting for you at the station," The elder brother replied.

Well that's peachy, Silver thought, way to be a black sheep... did I seriously just use the black sheep metaphor? Gah!

"Whenever you're ready, fillies and gentlecolts," the lawyer said.

"As you will, Chaser," Platinum said in that posh voice of her's. Silver pondered if his elder sister forced that voice to be similar to the typical performance of Princess Platinum. Would that also pose an identity issue?

And Ruby, sweet Ruby. Named after her grandmother simply because her hide was a bold burgundy instead of indigo like the others.

Silver wondered why he was thinking of these sorts of things. These rather unfair, yet tragically accurate descriptions of his own sisters. His rich cat of a mother's will was being read at the moment. That's pretty much the most important thing happening in the entire neighborhood right now.

He listened, as did his siblings. It sounded rather simple. The manor itself was being donated to the Architect's Society of Equestria, which will keep Chamberlain employed as the keeper of the building when architects aren't around.

The money was donated to a charity, on request from the father. Silver couldn't un-remember the multiple times his father repeated how he earned every last bit that went into that house, and he'll be damned if his children didn't get the opportunity to do the same.

Such a mindset worked out for all of them, fortunately. All of them are well off, all things considered. Gold was a rather notorious, yet intelligent critic for the Equestrian Journal, Platinum and Ruby worked for the Baltimare Fashion Press... as something...

Silver wrote scripts. It's what he loves to do, and it's what got him his cutie mark, but he had the niggling feeling in the back of his mind that his pa wanted him to be something better.

"To my eldest son, Golden Pen, I leave every content of your father's workshop. Bronze and I remembered that the only time you shut your trap about how something sucks is whenever you're tinkering with Celestia-knows-what," The lawyer paused as he let Gold chuckle, "That's what it says,"

"I know," Gold giggled through the suddenly present tears. Silver assumed that this rush of a last message from mum became very saddening.

The lawyer continued. Ruby and Platinum basically got everything else, especially the wardrobe- which was technically donated to the Baltimare Fashion Press. The sisters were fortunate enough to maintain a reliable contact with their mother, unlike the brothers. It came as no surprise to the males that they'd get the proverbial short end. Although Gold really loved being in that workshop.

"And lastly, to my talented son, Silver Screen. I leave to you, the entirety of our library. I honestly have no idea where you'd be able to store the sheer number of books. Last I heard, you were living in a crap apartment still working for that fat one. Tell him that he'd better give you a raise for all the work you do, giving his ultimately trite movies a foundation. Just once, I'd like to see a nice Gryphon... Oh Luna, it appears Gold rubbed off on me a second."

Silver smiled as he twiddled his hooves awkwardly, even though his siblings knew he loved books more than ponies. It was hard to take a compliment like that. The siblings, however, laughed.

"Anything that hadn't been mentioned will have their fates decided by mine and Bronze's ever-loyal employee and friend, Chamberlain," The lawyer Chaser paused for dramatic effect, "Jade."

Silver sighed. The pacing was off in that pause. The playwright wasn't the only one, he heard his brother sigh in exactly the same way. This wasn't the kind of mood to have during a will reading, but that's what multiple years of establishing a personal style does.

(Sorry, Author's note: I'm getting the feeling this is starting to sound like a self-insert fic.)

Chaser packed up and shook the hooves of the four siblings before taking his leave. Chamberlain stepped forward and said, "If you need help moving your inheritance to wherever you need it, Jade asked me to help."

They all thanked the butler, and split off in their respective directions throughout the manor.