• Published 10th Oct 2015
  • 659 Views, 22 Comments

Ultimate Selfishness - Arcanum -Phantasy



though it is the strongest stone of all, a diamond can be as brittle as glass.........

  • ...
9
 22
 659

Obsidian

Obsidian


Diamond looked around herself, but all she could see was darkness. The air was still and foreboding with a strong sense of death. The ground was cold stone that filled the shadows with hollow echoes as she took a few cautious steps into her surroundings.

"H-Hello?" she called, a chill shooting down her back. "Is anypony there? Apple Bloom? Scootaloo? Sweetie Bell? Anypony?"

As if on cue, the sound of hoofsteps sounded from behind her. A relieved sigh escaped her muzzle as she turned to face whoever was approaching her.

"There you guys are! Honestly, I thought-"

Her words died on her lips. Staggering into her line of sight were the bloody carcases of ponies. There were hundreds, all of them covered in bloody lacerations with bones jutting unnaturally out of random parts of their bodies. The few of them that were wearing clothes were covered now with tattered rags covered with blood and mud. Some were missing limbs or the back halves of their bodies, leaving trails of blood as they dragged themselves towards her. The once silent darkness was now filled with the moans of the damned as Diamond Tiara stared at the army of monstrosities that closed in on her.

She had to move. She had to escape! If she didn't she was going to die!

Screaming, she forced herself to turn to run but again saw something that froze her in her tracks. Standing about six feet away from her was her father and only friend, both in the same level of trauma as the monstrosities creeping in on Diamond. The two cadavers slowly approached her, moving in degrees of grace that should've been impossible for such thoroughly destroyed ponies. As they closed in on her, they continually whispered, "Why did we have to die? Why do you get to live? It should've been you."

Diamond fell to her knees, tears poring from her eyes. She closed her eyes and covered her ears in a desperate attempt to block out the macabre mob as well as the demonic mantra coming from her loved ones. Suddenly, a pair of hooves lifted her into the air, the hooves of the monster wearing her father's face.

"D-Daddy! P-Please don't!" she begged, tears of fear streaming down her face.

The corps looked up at her, his glazed eyes locking with hers. The dead silence from before returned all of the corpses seeming to turn into hellish statues. Diamond stayed just as still, to scared to move, her sobbing pants being the only sign of life in the grisly void. Then, in a voice as chilling as an arctic wind, her father growled, "Why wasn't it you!?" before throwing her into the mob of undead terrors. She screamed as the monsters grabbed her, several of them grabbing ahold of her limbs with their mouths. The terrified filly struggled against them, but their grip was to strong. All she could do was scream as she felt them pulling on her legs, slowly tearing her apart.

Her eyes flew open as she screamed bloody murder. Panting, she forced herself into a sitting position, desperate to get her bearings. She was sitting in a humble bed set in the middle of an equally modest square bedroom. In the dim light she could see faded wallpaper decorating the walls with pictures of apples. In one corner of the room was a large dresser accompanied with a toy-box filled with all kinds of stuffed animals. To her left was a small nightstand with a lamp on it that a few moments ago had been left on to help her sleep. Her blanket, sheets, and pillow were drenched with sweat and tears, souvenirs from the same nightmare that had haunted her since the accident. She put her face into her hooves and cried, terror and frustration pushing down on her like a bolder.

It was then that she heard the door to the room creak open. With a startled yelp, she dove under her blanket.

"D-Diamond?" said a groggy yet still concerned voice.

Recognizing the southern drawl, Diamond poked her head out from under her blanket. Stepping through the doorway was a very nervous Applebloom.

"A-Applebloom?" Diamond stuttered, not sure if she was really awake or if her nightmare had decided to attack her in other forms of sadistic pleasure. "Is that r-really you?"

"Yeah? Are you okay Diamond Tiara? Ah heard scream'n."

Diamond nodded.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just had a nightmare, that's all."

"Ah see," said Applebloom looking both relieved and worried. "Ya wanna talk 'bout it?"

Again Diamond nodded.

With a kind smile, Applebloom walked over to Diamond's bed and took a seat at the foot. For what felt like an hour, Diamond told Applebloom everything about her recurring nightmare, not leaving out a single detail. As she got to the part where she was about to be dismembered, her body started to shake and tears started to form at the corners of her eyes. It was at that point that Applebloom threw her forelegs around her in a tight embrace.

"It's okay sugar cube. None o' those nasty monsters 'er gonna getcha'."

Still trembling, Diamond pulled herself out of her new friend's embrace just enough to look her in the eyes.

"Thanks," she sniffled a sad smile gracing her muzzle. "But they're right, you know. It really should've been me."

In response to that, Applebloom gripped Diamond by her shoulders and gave her a firm shake.

"None of that now. Talkin' like that will only make yer Pa and Silver Spoon worry on the other side. They'd want ya to be happy and live a nice long time for them. And, when ya do see them again, ya'll have all kinds o' stories ta tell 'em."

"Are you sure?" Diamond asked trembling.

"I'd like ta think so. It helps me get by."

As she said this, her gaze became distant and for a brief moment, the little yellow filly looked no younger than Applejack in Diamond's eyes.

"Thank you," Diamond said, wiping some stray tears out of her eyes.

Applebloom still felt a little nervous leaving Diamond alone in her room. In the state she was it, the poor filly was likely to have a heart attack if somepony didn't do something.

"What ya say ah sleep with ya tonight," Applebloom said. "Ya know, just incase ya have another episode."

Trembling, she nodded. The two fillies curled up under the covers, holding each other tightly. As Applebloom's warmth washed over her, Diamond's trembling started to slow. Her fear started to melt away as the sound of her friend's heartbeat lulled her into a state of calmed bliss. Feeling the fatigue of countless sleepless nights catching up with her, Diamond let out a yawn, before nuzzling up to Applebloom and letting her heavy lids slowly slide shut.

Before sleep could take her, she whispered something she never thought she would say with such sincerity to the CMC member.

"Thank you, Applebloom."

With that, Diamond fell asleep. All the while, a content smile graced both their muzzles.

"Anytime Diamond."