• Published 6th Sep 2015
  • 1,796 Views, 20 Comments

Existential Secrets - Black Hailstorm



Hailstorm has spent his entire life living like any normal human, until 6+ months after his 18th birthday where he begins having dreams. Every time he raises the issue he is ignored or given vague answers, but the truth could lie beyond that mirror.

  • ...
5
 20
 1,796

Chapter 3: Explanations & Royalty

Hailstorm trotted through the hospital halls still having a dazed look on his face. I can’t believe it! he thought as his hooves clicked on the tiled floors. This isn’t a dream is it? This is all real?!

So lost in thought and the shock of the fact that he wasn’t really dreaming again he bumped into Doctor Horse, who was pretty happy to see him. “Oh why hello there!” he said with a cheerful smile. “I’m glad to see your up and moving, you were in a horrid state when Princess Twilight and Applejack brought you in. Sprained hoof, slight concussion and a couple bruises, but after two days rest you seem fine” he said grinning.

Two days? I’ve been asleep for two whole days!? the news was more surprising than terrifying, Hailstorm however was just happy to be alive at this point than anything else. “Um... thank you Doctor I appreciate all your help” he stated as he slowly began to walk around the doctor. “Please tell the others in my room I appreciate what they’ve done for me and-”

“Wait!” Twilight yelled emerging from the other side of the hospital hall with Spike barely keeping hold of her mane. “We have a couple questions for you” she stated as she began galloping over with Applejack soon in tow.

Hailstorm cringed. “Great, well doc I must be off!” he stated giving a salute and un-bandaging his head he took off down the hall making a right.

“Wait you can’t leave” he called. “You need still need a day’s rest!” he stated now proceeding to gallop after his patient.

Nurse Tenderheart and Redheart heard the doctor’s shout and automatically assumed ninja poses, meeting Hailstorm down the second floor as he skidded to a stop. “Dammit!” he yelled stamping his hoof on the ground.

Redheart and Tenderheart didn’t look like they were going to give him any room. So he did the next best thing he could think of “I’ve always wanted to jump out a window” he said out loud to the nurses.

Clearly they showed signs of panic as he began rushing towards the window, in their attempts to stop him they left their posts which initially blocked him from the stairs.

Perfect he thought with a sly grin just before he made it to the window Hailstorm used his front hoof to propel himself to the right with the help of a nearby wall, allowing him to shoot past the two mares and stop in front of the stairs. With a wink he said “Lovely meeting you ladies” and sauntered down the stairs.

As soon as he got down to the first floor he saw Twilight there waiting for him with Applejack and Spike.

“How did you-?”

“Teleportation magic” she replied with a smug look.

Of course he thought hearing the hooves of the nurses and doctor clicking on the stairs next to him, knowing he had to admit defeat.

“Alright alright” he said as the heated moment simmered down, “I’ll go and rest just uh-- give me a second to process all of this” he said looking up the stairs at the doctor who with a confused look nodded, turning back up the stairs. He muttered something about “making sure he doesn’t leave”.

Hailstorm sighed, heading to one of the benches near the hospital entrance and sat down staring at the ground with a sad smile on his face.

Feeling slightly disturbed, by the sudden change of events Spike got off of Twilight’s back and walked over to him. “What’s wrong uh-”

“Hailstorm, Black Hailstorm” he replied absentmindedly still staring at the floor.

“Right Hailstorm... so what’s got you looking so down and why did you leave and run away like that? How did you even know our names?” Spike asked voicing the other two mare’s thoughts.

“Hm?” he asked not really paying attention as he continued to stare at the floor.

You know those moments where you tend to start daydreaming or you get so lost in thought that you hear things and they register but you’re so lost in your thoughts that you just respond without thinking. This was how Hailstorm felt right now.


Realization never sunk in so deep.

It had just hit him now, what his situation was. He was in a alternate world, stuck in this form, had no idea why he was still having these dreams and now he was talking to the very beings he had seen in them. He wasn’t sure what to do right now. All this time he’d spent trying to figure out what was beyond that mirror and now that he had, he’d never thought about what he’d do after he found the truth, so he just sat there staring at his hazy reflection in the tiled floors, till he was hit in the shoulder by somepony.

“OW! What the-” he shouted turning in the direction of his attacker only to hesitate when he saw it was Applejack. “Why did you-”

“Now look here Hailstorm” she cut him off, speaking firmly like a mother would to her child. “Ever since ya woke up ya’ve been actin' mighty strange. Now I reckon’ we can’t understand the problems yer facin’ but we’re here askin ya questions” she said sincerely taking her hat off. “We just wanna help ya out” she stated as she placed a hoof on his back placing her hat back on her head.

“ If we just talk I’m sure we could find a solution with the-”

“Magic of friendship right?” he scoffed.

“Hey cmon” Spike said. “We’re only trying to help why are you-”

“Why am I being so unpredictable?” he asked, slowly getting frustrated. “Alright fine. I’ll tell you how I know who you are and everything else” he stated brushing Applejack’s hoof aside he got up and moved across to another seat so all three were in his view.

“I’m not from here” he sighed.

“Well yeah we kinda figured that out” Twilight said with a ‘duh’ like expression.

“No, no you don’t understand” he said sounding slightly rude at the end, only to sigh at Twilight’s offended reaction and say “Look

“I’m not. From. Here!” he yelled. “I’m not from your world, I come from a completely different world altogether, there we walk on two feet- hooves- whatever! We don’t have the 'magic of friendship' like you guys” he said raising both hooves to indicate air signs.

Twilight was about to speak again, but Applejack put a hoof on her chest saying. “Hold on...let him finish”. Although reluctant Twilight nodded and Hailstorm continued.

“Alright here’s the breakdown of things. I’m from Earth which seems to be on a completely different universe altogether in comparison to here. What earth is I won't be going into detail but, in my world we don’t have magic, we aren’t multiple species like dragons” he pointed to Spike. “Earth ponies” he stated pointing to Applejack. “Or formal unicorns that can ascended to a ‘princess status’. We have one species and one species only and those are humans. We have animals like you but they aren’t as sentient as yours are. In fact all of this” he said waving both arms at the hospital. “Never ceases to amaze me when I wake up.”

“What do ya mean when ya woke up?” Applejack asked although the fear in his answer could be detected in her voice.

“I mean every time I go to sleep or even try to I see this world, and a majority of the time I see you guys, your adventures, the stuff you do continuously. It’s been like that ever since my 18th birthday, and they haven’t stopped since. I don’t know how or why it happens it, just does.” he finished.

Silence fell for a long time. No one knew what to say but that changed as soon as a cyan colored pegasus flew in and landed expertly with a grin.

“So!” she said. “Where’s the new guy-” she paused noticing the silence and said “Uh did I miss something here?”

“You have no idea” Spike said running his claw through his face.

“Okay?” she said confused. Seeing Twilight and Applejack around Hailstorm she trotted up to them and asked “So can you fill me in on why this guy is so worked up” she stated pointing a hoof at Hailstorm.

“Seriously?” Can't she read the tension in here? he asked himself looking at the rainbow maned pegasus with a raised eyebrow. Oh right it’s her he thought with a roll of his eyes. “Well why wouldn’t I be Rainbow Dash?” he said with a forced smile.

Oh a fan she thought grinning and shoving the still exasperated Applejack and Twilight aside she trotted up to Hailstorm and said “So you’ve heard of me huh?” she asked leaning her head in from the side with the most excited smile.

“Didn’t think a fan would come all this way for an autograph” she said completely ignoring the fact that every time she said ‘fan’ Hailstorm’s smile twitched.

“So where do I sign?” she said looking at him with a professional smile. Finally taking note of the slight twitch in Hailstorm’s smile she frowned and said “What’s got you so uptight?”

Hailstorm’s smile instantly faded into a frown. “You really want to know what’s go me SO uptight?” he asked.

“Oh no” Spike said from the background.

“I’ll tell ya what’s got me so uptight!” he said standing up from his seat his voice slowly raising.

“I have been having nightmares or dreams- whatever way you want to phrase it for not 1, not 2, not 3, but 8 long torturing months!” he yelled. “And then it turns out these aren’t really nightmares, but they’re some kind of premonition or telepathic connection to your world that enables me to see everything that goes on here. Do you know how annoying it is?!” he asked shaking her.

“Um n-n-no not really but-”

“No buts !” he exclaimed releasing the surprised mare. “Because I keep having these dreams incessantly,every time I close my eyes to sleep I see you and your friends going on these insane adventures” he stated trying to control the volume of his voice as he recalled they were in a hospital.

“And you know what’s worse! I have these dreams that are completely unrelated to you guys. I don’t know why but every time I do I feel like the guys in those dreams are connected to me somehow.”

“Hey it could be worse” Pinkie Pie stated suddenly popping her head in from the window.

“Worse? WORSE?! ‘It could be worse?!!!” he shouted but then stopped. “Wait how did you-” then he realized. This is Pinkie Pie we’re talking about here. He was about to open his mouth and say something to her with narrow eyes though he refrained.

Clearing his throat he continued.

“What’s worse than this? Please tell me” asking the mares who now had their ears drooping on the sides of their heads. “How would you feel if you were in a completely different world hm? Got chased around by a pack of rabid beasts that nearly killed you not to mention! Having things happen to you that you don’t understand and no one is willing to explain it to you or even understands what you’re going through? Do you know how annoying it is to have th-these dreams occur every single day when I am trying to get SOME DAMN SLEEP?!” he asked them.

No one said anything. Pinkie’s initial smile had faded into a sad frown, realizing she walked in on the wrong time.

Fluttershy and Rarity had just walked in after that little outburst.

“Oh and if it isn’t cute Fluttershy and the oh so beautiful Rarity” he said smiling at them, with a sudden change of mood.

The two flushed walking in looking a little embarrassed by the sudden compliment, although became quite confused when they saw their friends looking at the pony who complimented them with such grim faces.

“Um w-w-what’s going on?” Fluttershy asked meekly.

Spike was about to say “Don’t say that” but it was too late. The rant was on again.

“Oh I’ll tell ya what’s going on” he said. “Your friends here think they can solve my problems with a dab of friendship” he replied sourly.

“Well darling that might be what you need judging from how disheveled your mane is starting to look” Rarity said with a sweet smile.

“Oh please!” Hailstorm retorted. “Don’t get me wrong I have friends back on my home world but friends can’t help me with this mess! Not this one they only alleviates the confusion I have, not solve the problem” he stated.

“But-” Twilight started only to be cut off yet again.

“No don’t” he said raising a hoof. “I know your adventures I’ve seen them. You guys have done a lot with your friendship and I like what you’ve done but you can’t tell me you’ll solve my mess with that at this point and let me explain why

“Do you know how I feel now? At this moment? When I think about all those adventures I’d seen in my dreams. All the risks you six took, including you Spike. All the things you endured, now that I know it’s real and not a figment of my imagination I’m terrified. You all are more or less my age. I can’t tell you how worried I’d get waking up in the middle of night about these dreams, only to feel somewhere in a part of me that this was all actually happening. I may not know you face-to-face but I know what you’ve been through since I’ve seen it. And it...” his voice was starting to get a little shaky.


“It pisses me off!” he stated in a yell making everyone and even the nurses jump as they came down to see what the commotion was.


Twilight, Applejack and Spike had been listening to this long rant from the beginning, and in all honesty they were surprised. Twilight herself knew what it was like to have fears and worries in all those adventures she was sure her friends had felt the same, heck she still feared what would happen if she ever... failed.

Shuddering, she noticed Spike now looked at her with a look of worry. “Just what has this guy been through” he mumbled as Hailstorm was confronted by Rainbow Dash.

“I mean can anypony really go through that much in 8 months?” he asked, but then again they’d practically faced off against Discord within a few months of their arrival in Ponyville. “I guess they can” he muttered remembering that encounter.

Applejack had been watching Hailstorm trying, rather hoping that everything he was saying was some sort of lie, but... it isn't she thought. The fact that somepony could actually care for beings he’d never met in a completely alternate universe baffled her. She didn’t think somepony could think that much about all this stuff...well except Twilight.

Hearing Spike’s groan for the second time Applejack trotted over to Twilight as Hailstorm continued to relay his situation to them.

“Twilight” she whispered upon seeing Fluttershy and Rarity get complimented by the stallion. “I think you should try sayin somethin’ ” she said with a weak yet encouraging smile.

Nodding Twilight approached Hailstorm only to hear his snide remark about friendships role in fixing problems. That’s not true at all she thought indignant by the statement saying “But-” only to be cut off yet again and hear his reasoning. Hearing his explanation on why friendship can’t solve everything and only alleviate things made her think. He’s right. “At least in some cases” she said to herself looking to the side, only to have her and her friends jump at his final outburst.


With a sigh of relief Hailstorm sat back down. He had finally released all the pent up frustration. After everything got silent, no one really moved towards or away from him and he honestly didn’t care, he was just glad he got all this pent up anger and frustration off his chest. Although now he would have to apologize for directing it towards the wrong group.

Slowly lifting his eyes he looked at the surprised mares in front of him and said “Look...I’m sorry, I guess I just-”

Twilight and Applejack trotted right up to him. Expecting a scolding for his rudeness toward them, the two mares hugged the stallion.

“It’s ok” Applejack said with a smile, tears forming in her eyes. “You’ve been through a lot these past eight months”.

“Just don’t shoulder it all on your own alright?” Twilight whispered into his ear smiling sweetly.

“R-right” he said as they released him from the hug he smiled. “Well once again I’d like to apologize for my little outburst back there” he said rubbing the back of his head.

“No worries you’re fine” Rainbow Dash said dismissively. “We were kinda in the wrong for being so insensitive earlier” Seeing the flat stare from Spike she immediately opted to change the subject.

“So Twilight this the stallion you mentioned earlier right?” she said trotting over to the purple alicorn who nodded in reply.

“I honestly well didn’t expect him to be well forward” she said. “I like it” a grin creasing her lips.

“Oh! Oh! Oh! I almost forgot we’ll be late for your party!” Pinkie said remembering one of the reasons she had came over.

A small chuckle escaped his lips at Pinkie’s excitement, good old Pinkie Pie he thought knowing how weird it was for him to feel that way since he’d just met her, at least physically for the first time.

“So where’s this party?” he asked as the mares and Spike gathered around him.

“It’s down at Sugarcube Corner” Pinkie said still carrying that charismatic smile. “Let’s go we can still make it!”

A loud cough from the stairs by Nurse Sweetheart stopped them from going any further to the entrance. “Ahem” she said pointing to Hailstorm “You remember what you said right?” she asked politely yet with a sign of firmness.

“Oh yeah” he smiled sheepishly. “Sorry guys but looks like I won’t be able to attend this party, maybe another time” he said looking at Pinkie.

The pink earth pony did look a bit disappointed but brightened up immediately. “Yeah sure that’s fine another time and this time I’ll be sure to make it so you’re there” she said grinning.

After that everypony went on their way back home since visiting hours were coming to a close. Hailstorm trotted up the stairs and down the hall to his room, smiling and feeling content. Who’d of thought that rant back there would make me feel a little better he thought smiling at what Pinkie might have planned tomorrow on his release.


Laying on his bed Hailstorm had decided instead of ruining the night with another of those horrid dreams he’d stay up. “Only four more hours till the sun raises” he said running a hoof through his black hair then the white zigzags that were across his forelock. Yawning he stretched.

Then suddenly a popping sound appeared with a scroll in front of him. “This must be one of those things Spike does” he mumbled as he fiddled trying to open the scroll. Eventually he rolled it off of him on the ground and had it unfold there.

Dear Hailstorm,

Earlier today I wanted to inform you about something when you awoke, but well after the whole issue and the explanation I decided that I’d just tell you through this letter. Oh and don’t worry we won’t be telling anyone about what you told us, granted I still find it hard to believe since there’s no proof

Rolling his eyes he skipped the cancellations Spike had made in the letter.

Anyway I just wanted to inform you that when you mentioned Celestia I asked her if she knew you in one of my letters. She said she didn’t know a Hailstorm and has personally requested we bring you to her as soon as possible. See you tomorrow.
Your Friend,

Twilight Sparkle.

Hailstorm simply stared at the message. Celestia wants to meet me? Why? he wondered. Shrugging and with a “Oh well” he said “Guess I’ll find out when the sun goes up” and with that the stallion preoccupied himself with anything...anything else but sleep.

~*********~

It was now morning and Hailstorm walked groggily over to the bathroom washing his face and seeing his eyes slightly red he decided to just shut them for a few seconds since he was appearing in the face of royalty he might as well get some sleep.

Pinkie Pie bursting into the room however made him jump and fall. Looking at her he smiled weakly and said “We going now?”

His appearance made Pinkie want to ask if he was alright but she already knew the answer, simply nodding she waited for the stallion to get up and slowly follow her out of the hospital and down to Twilight’s castle.

Once Pinkie had escorted Hailstorm into Twilight’s castle he looked around. Damn this is a big as-

“Hey Hailstorm” Rainbow Dash waved a hoof over to where Pinkie,her and the others sat.

Trotting over he whistled. “This is one real huge place you got here” he said with a smile. Twilight’s cheeks flushed a bit from the compliment. “Thanks, but it came with a great cost” she said sad smile slowly forming. With a cough she cleared her voice and she said “Princess Celestia said that once we got you we should head over to Canterlot by train”.

“So why are we here then?” he asked still taking glances at the castle.

“Ask her that” Applejack said pointing at Rainbow Dash who smiled sheepishly. “We-” but paused at the flat glances her friends gave her.

“Ok I thought it’d be cool to show you the castle before we left” she replied with a smile.

Classic Dash “Well you were right” he replied with a smile.

“Well now that we’re all here shall we get going?” Rarity asked the group. With a nod they all left their seats and began the travel to the train station.


“So what’s Canterlot like” Hailstorm asked as they trotted through the train, picking seats. Since this was his first time sitting on a actual couch in this form he just sat on it like he would as a human, bringing the laughter of some of the others much to his annoyance.

“Well it’s full of all sorts of wonderful things, only the highest of the aristocrats stay there” Rarity said. “And don’t even get me started on their appearance oh!” she gasped with delight placing a hoof on her head.

“I see” he said now sitting like the others.

“Oh and don’t forget the events there” Fluttershy commented.

“Always so FUN!” Pinkie said spraying confetti everywhere.

“And the princesses?”

“Oh Princess Celestia is absolutely amazing!” Twilight jumped in. “She’s been the greatest teacher ever and I am extremely grateful for everything she’s done for everypony” she finished with a smile.

“Ya wouldn’t find a better ruler, especially one that enjoys a bit of havoc here and there” Applejack chimed in with a chuckle.

“I see...” Hailstorm said with a slight smile. “And what about Luna?”

“She’s quiet, but also pretty fun. Especially after the whole Nightmare Night thing” Rainbow Dash stated recalling the prank she had pulled.

The train had stopped and everypony slowly made their way out. Within a couple of minutes the group had made it to Canterlot castle and past the guards, now waiting in the throne room for both the princess’s to appear.

After a couple a minutes of waiting the two alicorns, gracefully trotted into the room and stood in front of Hailstorm and friends.

Celestia and Luna both smiled at him.

Hailstorm simply stared back at them in amazement. Daamn was his first thought then an idea came to him.

Seeing a chance to poke some fun he intentionally said “More beautiful than in my dreams”, which to his amusement in turn earned the embarrassed smile of the older sister and a slight blush from Luna.

However it also earned him an elbow in the gut from Applejack who glared at him.

Clearing her throat Celestia said “Well then let’s begin our discussion shall we?” her horn glowed and the doors slowly shut behind them.

“So Princess Twilight tells me that you know me, although this is the first time we’ve met, please enlighten me” she said still smiling sweetly.

All eyes were on Hailstorm making him feel a little uncomfortable, a gentle touch on the shoulder from the others though gave him some comfort and he began his tale. How the dreams suddenly started, although he left out the parts about Silver Caliber he did recall the events of Nightmare Moon to her much to Luna and Celestia’s surprise. Then he explained how he’d seen the missions and everything from Twilight coming to Ponyville to their battles, her ascension and the fight with Tirek, As he explained these events to her Celestia’s smile slowly faded into a solemn stare, Luna while no longer smiling, looked just as grave as her sister.

Twilight and her friends, including Spike all had looks of utter shock, which switched every now and then to amazement and vice versa.

After what felt like an hour of explaining he exhaled with a finish. “And that’s it” he said.

No one said anything the entire time they all just stared at Hailstorm which was seriously starting to make him feel uncomfortable. “Can one of you say something” he said feeling like he should just leave the room.

Rainbow Dash was the first to break out of the stupor. “Wait wait wait” she said and paused to collect her thoughts. “You’re saying that everything you were talking about yesterday... those dreams and stuff are...real” she said her voice practically dripping with doubt.

Hailstorm nodded annoyed by the fact that some of them doubted him but it was expected. No sane person would instantly believe what I just said like that after all, he sighed.

“S-so um you’re really not from this world?” Fluttershy asked in amazement.

Another nod was all Hailstorm did in response.

“Wow” she said staring at him in both amazement and shock, which kinda made Hailstorm cringe having those aqua eyes stare at him like that.

“So you’re saying you’ve seen me after my...my imprisonment and everything else that’s transpired since then?” Luna asked trotting over to the stallion. “What else have you seen” she asked her face becoming quizzical and slowly inching towards him.

“L-look I haven’t seen anything inappropriate if that’s what you’re asking me here” he said his ears falling to his head.

That one sentence made everyone’s reaction change from serious and surprised, to slightly nervous and embarrassed. Even Celestia who had been watching him with the utmost interest suddenly had dot sized pupils and almost refused to look him in the eye.

It took a second for him to register that they hadn't been thinking that at all. Until now. “Wait wait! I’m not suggesting I did, I mean even if I did I-” Spike quickly covered his mouth with a claw looking at the other mares with a nervous smile. “Be quiet you are screwing yourself here” he whispered through gritted teeth.

With a nod Hailstorm slowly backed out of the room with Spike still standing on his back and covering his mouth, he quickly opened the door and slid outside the throne room.

Nopony wanted to say anything after that little embarrassing moment. Rarity was the one to break the silence. “So uh Princess”, she said in an attempt to change the topic. “What do you think of his story I mean granted it is quite something to behold” she said tapping a hoof against her chin.

“Yes it is but I have decided what I will do” she said now brightening up at the change of topic.

“You have?” the mane 6 said in unison.

“Sister that was quite fast” Luna said in confusion.

“Don’t worry my little ponies” she said with a slight chuckle “I’ve decided to have Hailstorm stay under all of your care”

Author's Note:

Finally did it Chapter 3. I believe this chapter should clear up some of the confusion from the previous one's. Let me know what you guys think of this one also, enjoy.

Edit: Corrected errors.