• Published 6th Sep 2015
  • 1,796 Views, 20 Comments

Existential Secrets - Black Hailstorm



Hailstorm has spent his entire life living like any normal human, until 6+ months after his 18th birthday where he begins having dreams. Every time he raises the issue he is ignored or given vague answers, but the truth could lie beyond that mirror.

  • ...
5
 20
 1,796

Prologue

Year: 1000+
Location:Earth

Why? Why did things turn out like this? was all a man could think as he stood at the edge of a cliff where a murky river lay right ahead of him and the group of people slowly made their way up a steep cliff.

All I wanted was a peaceful place for us to go home to but now we’ve got no where to go he sighed running a hand through his white hair. To top it all off my hair's turned white due to years of stress, and to think I'm only thirty-five...

“Sir!” one of the children called looking up at the older fellow once most of the group had reached the cliff’s edge to take a quick breather. “Where do we go from here Chief?” the young boy asked.

Kaliver couldn’t do much but simply stare at the boy with a very weak but optimistic smile. “I honestly don’t know” he said in a-matter-of-fact tone. “But there’s always hope in the smallest glimmer of light” he said kneeling down and patting the young boy’s head the weak smile growing stronger.

However that small heart-warming moment died just as quickly as it came.

“HE’S HERE! THEIR COMING!” a shrill scream echoed from the farther side of the cliff. “Vindictive is here!” a boy he seemed to be in his late twenties came running up the cliff yelling in a purely petrified voice.

“Chief! CHIEF! What do we do?! What do we-” the screaming was interrupted by a slap that echoed around the cliff.

“Calm yourself Script”, Kaliver stated. Closing his eyes the chief thought about his next move. He could hear the steps of Vindictive and his group echoing around the cliff as they climbed their way up.

“We’re going towards that river, down this cliff” he said casually.

Everyone held their breath. Although after a few seconds of contemplating their choices, they all agreed and in a single file line they began their descent down the edge towards, the murky river.

If we get down there. Maybe, just maybe we’ll have a chance at freedom he thought. And for a couple of minutes everything seemed fine. Kaliver was the last one to begin heading down the cliff’s edge when he stopped feeling a presence behind him.

“Hello there old friend” a calm rich bass said. “Leaving so soon?

“I thought we’d at least get to talk a bit you know before you left again”, Vindictive said venom practically dripping from his last words.

And like that he couldn’t move. It wasn’t as if he’d been held back or anything it was just the look in his old friend’s eyes that made him keel over and freeze not with fear, but hesitation. Run, his conscience told him. Go into the river he won’t catch you there, you’ll be safe. You’ll have a chance!

And like that Kaliver did moving with catlike reflexes. He ran as fast as his legs could carry him and began climbing down the cliff. As he climbed his way down, he noticed that his friends and family had...disappeared?!

“Where are they?!” he exclaimed in surprise. He had made sure they all got into the river below them before Vindictive had made his appearance where could they have gone so quickly? Maybe they are on the other side waiting for you hurry! Don’t think just move! his conscience assured him

And he was about to do just that, to take another step down the cliff until something hit him in the head. Making his vision blur and his grip loosen on the rocks supporting him, his hands slipped and he fell in the river with a large splash.

As the cold murky waters encompassed and dragged him in, his vision went dark and the last thing he saw was a ticked off friend of his staring down at him from the cliff’s peak, “Silver Caliber!!!!!” Vindictive’s voice echoed from above.

Caliber smirked. "Hehe..." He hasn’t called me that in a long...long...time...


"GAHHHH!” Caliber gasped for air his head shooting out of the river. Slowly and steadily he made his way to land and almost collapsed several times on the way. His body felt heavier. The old hat on his head felt weird as if something was sticking out of his forehead, and strangely enough he seemed to have what looked like wings now on his back.

But he didn’t care all he wanted was to find his companions and just keep moving.

“There he is!” he heard a familiar voice and two figures grab him by their teeth pulling him away from the river.

When he came to, Silver Caliber looked up to see two figures staring at him. They looked different. They look like...like unicorns? Caliber thought

Sitting up straight like a recliner that resumed it’s natural position he stared at the two unicorns in front of him. The one that called him earlier had those turquoise eyes that he knew so well.

“Script? Script is that you?” Caliber asked in a almost exasperated tone.

“Yes yes it is! Oh thank goodness you’re alright!” he said with a smile tears forming in his eyes, as he used a hoof to wipe them away.

“Script your hands- I mean hooves what happened to you?” Caliber’s wife Twinkle exclaimed jumping on her hind legs only to wobble and fall back on to the ground on all fours once again.

Twinkle wasn’t the only one confused Caliber and all the others were all confused with their new pony forms. Just what on earth is happening? Are we even on earth anymore?! Where-

His thoughts were cut short by a sudden burst of what felt to be a powerful magical pressure that sent a strong gust through the area.

Silver Caliber looked up just in time to see a white alicorn shoot a beam of light at another alicorn clad in dark armor and magic . The beam of light completely enveloped the dark alicorn before she seemed to turn into energy and shoot off towards the moon.

“What the hell was that?” one of the younger colts said thinking out loud only to be have their muzzles covered by the older stallions.

The hell was that indeed? Caliber wondered. Obviously he hadn’t been the only one watching it,. His allies had seen the entire thing and most of them stood their all with their mouth agape.

No one said anything for awhile they simply watched as the white alicorn that seemed to have the same form as Caliber eventually flew down once the dark alicorn’s image had appeared on the moon shortly after.

An awkward silence fell once again. It was script who spoke up breaking the silence.

“Kali-” he was cut off

“Please just call me Caliber” he said to Script still sitting on the ground.

“Right, of course” Script cleared his throat before speaking again. “Caliber, what should we do”?

Caliber wasn’t really sure himself. This entire time he’d just been thinking of getting them out of danger, but now that they were he wasn’t sure what they’re next motive was. But then it hit him. He was in a place he didn’t know about, had probably just witnessed murder, and what was even stranger is that he was in this weird form. It should be obvious what our next step is

Caliber slowly got on to his front hooves easing himself up on them before getting on to his hind legs stumbling a bit before he was actually capable of standing straight.

“We’re going to talk with that thing near the castle” he said pointing a hoof over in the direction Celestia had landed.

“But dear!” Twinkle exclaimed. “We don’t even know what it is. Or how we even became these...these things?” she said hesitantly staring at her own hooves. “And whatever these symbols are on our flanks” she continued.

Script joined in also at this point. “Nor do we know where we are or what we just witnessed” he said cautiously. “That thing could have killed that dark one for all we know and what’s up with the moon? Why is it when the dark one disappeared that her figure suddenly appeared on the moon’s surface?” he asked.

Protests and discussions began to begin and questions were being tossed left and right. It was starting to get on Caliber’s nerves.

For crying out loud “BE QUIET!” he stomped a hoof on the ground that it cracked and caused a hole underneath it.

That little act automatically silenced everypony. They stared at Caliber more surprised than scared. The guy rarely got angry, so it was new to see him react to their usual bickering.

“W-we’re sorry Caliber” one of the stallions said within the group before another awkward silence washed over them. “W-we’re all just a little anxious is all” the same stallion spoke again.

Caliber let out a theatrical sigh. “It’s alright” he said. “Let’s just go” he said and with that he trotted past everypony else once again taking the leading position. “Let’s go meet this new pers- pony of ours”


“I can’t believe he fell into the water” Vindictive yelled stomping his foot on the edge of the cliff.

“Well what did you expect you threw a rock at the guy’s head while he was climbing down, it’s not like he’s got wings or something” Sebastian said flipping his bangs out of his left eye.

Vindictive looked at SF or Sebastian with a wicked glare that made the young man cringe and quickly blow his green bangs out of his line of vision again.

“”So what do we do now?” Iron Clad asked. “Do we go in after him?”

“But of course!” Vindictive exclaimed. “I didn’t chase that idiot all the way across the country just to let him go scott free oh no I’m going to make sure he suffers. Now! Everyone into the river!” he exclaimed.

Everyone began going down the edge in a careful line towards the river. Those that were half way down began jumping in and disappearing underneath. By the time half the crew was down the cliff it was just left with Straight Forward and their leader Vindictive at the top.

“Well?” Vindictive asked annoyed. “What are you waiting for? It’s not going to bite you start descending and go in after the others!” he yelled.

“But I don’t want my clothes to get wet!” Sebastian exclaimed blowing his bangs out of his eyesight again.

I’ve had enough of your sass "Don't forget we are doing things my way, Straight Forward" he stated a slight smirk creasing his lips as he said Sebastian's nickname. And with a little struggling and shouting Straight Forward was tossed over the edge and landed right in the center of the river.

Coughing and wheezing Straight Forward’s mane now completely covered his eyes and he once again blew them out of his line of sight, after he emerged from the river. Damn jerk he thought, sneering as he slowly trotted out of the water and shook his fur clean of it. All the other members of Vindictive’s crew were there and so was Vindictive after he emerged from the river as well.

The jet black maned alicorn stood on his dark blue, hooves and his goldish-brown coat slightly glistened thanks to the river’s water and the moonlight. The cutie mark on his flank appeared to be a red phoenix with it’s wings spread out in a hostile manner.

“Pt! pt! pt! pt” he spat some of the water from his mouth unintentionally spreading his wings. After his appearance the other members of his crew began to form around him.

“Alright!” he said straightening up once everyone had gathered. “We are going to find Caliber and end him” he said raising a hoof, shaking it in anger. Some cheered but Straight Forward’s words cut the ceremony short.

“Yeah but where is he?” he asked now completely dry and staring at his reflection in the river to get a better look at his new form. “And what are we?” he asked seeing himself different from all the others being the only one without wings or a horn. “And how come I don’t have wings or a horn” he asked slightly annoyed.

Vindictive face hoofed. “I don’t know! But I do know if you keep interrupting me-”

“Hey what’s that!” Iron Clad exclaimed pointing at the white alicorn who had started descending on the other side of the forest.

“I don’t know” Vindictive said a small smile slowly creasing his lips. “But let’s go find out. If I know Caliber he’s most likely on the other side of this river, and if he saw that thing” he said the last bit in a harsher tone more than necessary. “Then he’s bound to be there”


It had taken a few minutes to reach what now appeared to be the ruins of a castle but Silver Caliber and co had finally made it across the bridge and towards the castle’s entrance. There a alicorn with a flowing pink mane sat, her head pointed towards the moon, motionless.

Caliber and the others were hesitant at first. This was all new to them. All of it, and they weren’t sure if this new being was friend or foe. So Caliber did the only smart thing he thought was the best approach.

Without reading the mood he picked up a pebble in his teeth and tossed it at the mare as she sat staring at the moon. The pebble tapped her flank, causing her to shiver and her ears to shoot upward, yet she did not move or turn to see who had hit her.

“She’s not moving” Script whispered “Go talk to her you’re a gentleman after all” he nudged the alicorn in the ribs.

“I am not-” but it was too late everyone had shoved him towards the silent female alicorn.

Curses! Slowly yet awkwardly he trotted over to her, it wasn’t until he was directly behind her that he stopped. “U-um excuse me!” he said sheepishly.

No response.

“E-excuse me” he tried again speaking a bit louder.

Still nothing.

“Excuse-”

“WHAT?!” Celestia yelled slowly rising. “What do you want?!” she yelled at him biting her lip.

“I-I’m sorry I simply” he paused although he was right behind her he could see tears falling to the ground. Well this is awkward, he thought and remembered the image of that dark being appearing on the moon. Then it hit him.

“I- I am so sorry” he said just now reading the mood.Smooth move Caliber I believe I’ve practically made a bad impression by being so rude. Clearing his throat, before speaking he said “I apologize for interrupting you, perhaps I should come again later” he said as he began to return to his group.

“Wait!” he heard the alicorn exclaim and feeling a tug on his tail bringing him down to a sitting position, and turning on his haunches he stared at the alicorn whose face was stained with tears.

Celestia wiped away the tears with her hoof and with a sniff said in a much calmer voice. “I..I apologize for my reaction. I had not expected there to be anypony in the vicinity during the battle” she said staring at the scattered pieces of debris around the fallen castle.

“Please what is it you”-her eyes shrunk to the size of dots- “Y-you’re.... you are like me?” she said in the quietest tone Caliber had ever heard.

“B-But how?” she said exasperated getting closer to Caliber, her face now uncomfortably close to his.

“U-um” was all he could say. Caliber hadn’t really expected these turn of events. The beautiful creature before had went from sad to curious at his form all of a sudden, but then again even he didn’t know what exactly he was.

Clearing his throat he arched back a bit “Miss would you mind telling me and my friends where we are?” he said motioning a hoof where a bunch of ponies had started to emerge appeared.

“Hm? Oh yes well you are in Equestria” she said absentmindedly. “You should know since you are one of us” she paused. “Well one of our own” she said her voice tone dropping as she glanced back at the sky.

“And where is this Equestria exactly?” Script spoke up next.

Celestia tore her gaze from the moon to look at the green pony with a confused look. And just as she was about to answer a voice interrupted.

“Well, Well well” it said. “Silver Caliber what a coincidence to have met you here” the goldish-brown alicorn appeared from the opposite side of the castle.

“Actually-” Straight Forward was about to speak but was hit in the side by Iron Clad’s elbow.

Stomping both hooves on the ground with enough force to cause cracks around him and slightly toppling over one of the already distorted statues near by, Vindictive said with a snort “Let’s get this little reunion over with shall we?”