• Published 6th Sep 2015
  • 1,797 Views, 20 Comments

Existential Secrets - Black Hailstorm



Hailstorm has spent his entire life living like any normal human, until 6+ months after his 18th birthday where he begins having dreams. Every time he raises the issue he is ignored or given vague answers, but the truth could lie beyond that mirror.

  • ...
5
 20
 1,797

Chapter 1:The Beginning

[Notice: So this Chapter is after the Prologue. I don't know why but when I posted this it came ahead of the prologue instead of before. If you guys don't want to get confused I'd advise you read the prologue first so you fully understand what's going on prior to the events in this chapter]

1000+ Years later


It’s 7:59 a.m. and an alarm is ticking it’s way to a full minute. Tick Tick Tick the sound seemed to echo across the bedroom of a boy who has both eyes shut.

8 o’clock strikes. Beep! beep! bee- a hand smashes the off switch, turning off the alarm and remaining on the clock for a few seconds, motionless. Within a few seconds the hand moves away from the clock and a figure slowly, but gradually sits up in his bed, rubbing his eyes.

The boy continued to rub his eyes for a few seconds, then stopped and simply sat on his bed staring at the sheets. Again he thought.

It happened again. But why does it keep happening? he thought running a hand over his face.

And what was that even about? ‘Finish our little reunion’ grumbling as he made his way downstairs, where his younger brother and parents were. And not too far off he could see it through their open bedroom door, near his parent’s bed hanging on the wall was that mirror.

Hailstorm stared at it for a few seconds till a voice snapped him out of his daze

“Jack! Jack! Hey Hail!!” his brother yelled. “Get your butt over here and go get ready we’ll be late if you constantly wake up so late!” he said finishing his breakfast.

I wouldn’t be waking up so late if I didn’t keep having those strange dreams. “Well sorry for being an insomniac!” he said in a irritated tone Turning around on his heel he went back upstairs to get ready.

“If anybody should be complaining it should be me” he said going into the bathroom and shutting the door.

It only took a few minutes for Black Hailstorm to get ready and change into the clothes he’d be using for school. Once he got back downstairs his parents had turned the tv on and were watching the news, and apparently it seemed that another earthquake was going to be happening somewhere from the late afternoon to early in the evening. A list of schools were being rattled off as those that would be closing early and up there was his own. Crystal Prep Academy.

After hearing his school’s name being one of those that would be closing early Hailstorm and his brother left, making their way there wouldn’t be hard since they only lived a couple blocks away from the academy. It was literally the only reason why they attended the school because it was so close. Although the entire time they had been walking his younger brother had been staring at him.

Hailstorm just ignored it. He knew why he was looking at him. Both his eyes were kinda red, it looked like he hadn’t slept for days, weeks almost. And it was true I haven’t.

“Quit staring at me” he muttered to Speedy. “Just ignore it I’ll figure something out eventually mom and dad can’t keep hiding things from me forever” he said reassuringly with a small smile.

Speedy didn’t say anything, he simply looked forward after his brother tried to pass off that fake excuse of reassurance. He wasn’t going to lie it did bother him that his parents constantly seemed to neglect his older brother’s slowly dwindling state of mind. Hailstorm was constantly in a daze or passing out around school and it was seriously starting to worry him.

As if reading his kid brother’s mind Black Hailstorm patted his brother on the head.

“Hey...I’ll be fine alright? Don’t worry so much” he said smiling once more.

Once again there was no reply. Speedy simply nodded his head and pushed the thought out of his mind. Besides he had to get to class they were here.

Going their separate ways Hailstorm went straight to class, got there just in time also because the bell had just rang. However just a few minutes into the lesson Hailstorm’s eyelids started to become heavy.

“Just... a few seconds...” he mumbled his focus going in and out. “Just a few...to rest my eyes.”

<(((((O)))))>

Silver Caliber lay motionless on the ground. His friends and family were either unconscious or fighting their own battles but he was too injured to move at the moment.

“Celestia..Script!....Twinkle!” he called in a desperate attempt for a response.

There was no reply. The only sounds that could be heard were objects being tossed about and cries of either pain or surprise filled the air.

Right across from Silver Caliber was Vindictive slowly limping his way over to Caliber. The other alicorn seemed not as badly injured as his rival but his right front hoof looked pretty bad. The hoof was badly scarred and blood was oozing out of a huge cut down the leg. Every time Vindictive put a small amount of weight on it, he would wince gritting his teeth.

“Hehe you sure did a number on me old Caliber” he stated.

Caliber didn’t reply.

“Ignoring me huh? That’s fine also. Not like you’ll be here much longer” he stated as he started closing the distance between them.

With great effort and heavy panting Caliber managed to just barely stand on his hooves and look at Vindictive.

“W-Why are you doing this?” he asked as he attempted to take a step closer to his former friend, only to collapse in pain.

“Why?” Vindictive repeated. “Why am I doing this? Why am I tracking you, going to such great lengths to not only hurt you but make sure you suffer for what happened back home?

“You really want to go there? REALLY?” he said his voice rising to a crescendo.

“ I can’t believe you would ask me! Me! Of all people, the person you left behind when you, oh great Silver had to make a choice between choosing your best friend who is like a brother to you, and escaping our pathetic country! Our home! You betrayed your own family-” Vindictive said his eyes slowly getting misty.

“How cou- how could you do that to me? We were practically brothers, lived together our whole lives but when you had to make a tough choice you did what you do best”

“Don’t say it” Caliber breathed

“You ran! You ran and you ditched me! You left me, your so-called brother, your only friend behind!” he shouted stomping a hoof on the ground only to wince in the pain from his right.

There was a silence between them for a few seconds. The hate was clear in Vindictive’s eyes. And the sorrow was clear in Silver’s.

“I-I’m sorry Vinny but you-”

“Ahahahaha you’re SORRY?! Why is it that people” he said stomping his left hoof at the mention of their kind ignoring the pain.

“People always think saying that word. That meaningless word will always! Always fix things?!” he yelled. “Well you know what sorry isn’t getting you out of this mess old friend!” the words dripping with hate.

“Vinny please don’t-”

“Do NOT call me Vinny!” he shouted the tears still flowing down his face. He paused looking away gritting his teeth.

“You lost the chance to call me that. A long...long time ago” he said near to a whisper as he wiped a tear away. And with that he spread his wings in a hostile manner. “Prepare yourself Silver Caliber, because this is the end!” he yelled and with that his horn glowed a red color. Sparks of magic flew everywhere as he gathered more and more energy. Within a few seconds the magic surrounding his horn was twice its regular size.

“Vinny...please. Don’t make me have to do something I’ll regret!” Silver Caliber begged tears now forming in his own eyes.

“I’d assume you had already accomplished that feat when you left” Vindictive said coldly.

A large flash of magic collided and everything went white.


<(((((O)))))>

Hailstorm was sweating and the entire time he was mumbling very quietly words that were incoherent and barely audible to one of his friends who also sat with him at the back of class.

“Dude! Dude wake up!” Oliver tried nudging Hailstorm with his pen but to no avail. “Fine you asked for this”, but before Oliver could pull off the action of throwing his pen at Hailstorm’s forehead the boy shot out of his seat.

GNNAHH!” Hailstorm gasped for air as if he’d been hit in the gut with a force as he stood up from his desk, then checking his body for damage he calmed a bit only to just notice the eerie silence in the class. “Shi-”

“Mr. Jack!!” the class teacher yelled. “If you would like to disturb class I suggest you do it another time! Now I can see you were sleeping earlier, maybe a trip to the restroom will do you some good. Please go splash some water on your face to wake up, return to class once you are done” the teacher stated

“R-right sorry” he said absentmindedly. Leaving the classroom Hailstorm did just that he went to the restroom to wash his face. Taking his glasses off and putting them on the sink he turned the pipe on, and began splashing water on his face.

A few seconds passed by and he stopped. Using the sides of the sink for support he just stared at the running water before looking up at his reflection.

“What the heck!” he shouted. His reflection wasn’t human but instead he looked like. A pony? he thought. Touching his reflection with his hand as it did the same touching his fingers with it’s hoof.

Silence ensued, but then a slightly disturbing chuckle escaped Hailstorm’s lips.

That’s it! The sleep deprivation is making me hallucinate! he thought still staring at the pony that stared right back at him. Closing his eyes for a few seconds, before reopening them was his own normal reflection staring at him.

“Phew” he sighed rubbing his temple, then putting his glasses back on he just stared at his normal reflection.

“...” I gotta get some sleep when I get home he thought leaving the bathroom.


The Academy had just closed. Hailstorm and Speedy were making their way back home.

“So how’d your day go?” Speedy asked Hailstorm with a giant grin on his face.

“It was-” he hesitated “It was kinda weird”

“So the usual huh?” Speedy asked still grinning.

“You know it”

Within a few minutes they were back home. The rest of that afternoon was spent with Hailstorm just laying on his bed and either wasting time by listening to music or contemplating what had happened earlier at school.

By the time his parents got back Hailstorm and Speedy had gathered at the living room, both getting announcements on their cells about some kind of news alert.

Their parents had just walked in as the announcement was being broadcasted.

“This about the recent earthquakes?” his father asked.

Speedy nodded and motioned them over. As soon as they were close Hailstorm raised the volume so they could all get a good earful of what would be transcending.

“This just in a large quake will be travelling by buildings in Crystal Prep Academy’s vicinity. Those that are close to the school are advised to leave their buildings so as not to suffer any casualties. Stay tuned, for more information”

“Well we better get prepared” his mother Saphire said. “We’ll be leaving in half an hour so everyone get ready, once we’re set we’ll go register at a nearby inn” she said. And with that everyone scattered to get ready.

More time was spent then necessary and it had been around forty-five minutes.

“Alright everyone let’s go! Move it! Move it!” Hailstorm’s father called to the boys as he put the rest of the stuff in the car.

Speedy and Sapphire were the first to get in.

“Hailstorm what are you doing let’s go!” he called from downstairs.

“Alright! Alright! I’m coming just get the car set I’ll be down there soon” he called.

And as promised within a few minutes he was downstairs. However an unexpected event had occurred. Apparently the car’s tire had chosen the worst time to go flat now. Luckily for them however one of their neighbors suggested they just go to the nearby shelter.

“Hurry up Hailstorm we’ll see you at the shelter!” Speedy called following after his parents and the rest of the people that were heading to the shelter.

“I’ll be there! Don’t worry about it!” he called after them. He was about to leave also until something caught his attention.

Why do I feel like I’m forgetting something?

It was strange. He just couldn’t leave at this moment. Something was telling him to stay. And for whatever reason that he couldn’t explain Hailstorm listened to this instinct, then he realized what it was that was bugging him.

The mirror.

It was the moment he’d been waiting for.

This was his chance. This was his opportunity, and he couldn’t give it up.

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever done but here goes he sighed as he made his way to his parents room. Opening the door he found that there was no mirror, just the usual, normal bed.

“Damn” he said remembering that this month was one of the month’s he’d been forbidden to go to the basement. He would’ve gone there to check it out but he’d been here for practically ten minutes now and he was sure he’d get a lecture if he didn’t leave now.

But then. It happened. Hailstorm was making his way down the steps when, it hit.

The earthquake that had been aforementioned earlier in the afternoon, was coming.

“Oh my go-” cut off by the house starting to shake and vibrate, furniture began crashing and falling all over the place, making it a practical tripping hazard.

Then he heard it. Creak looking up he saw part of the ceiling collapse and fall just a few feet behind him. You should run now. my mind advised.

Rushing towards the exit, a shelf that had been near the door fell right in his path blocking the door as more debris fell from the ceiling.

You’ve got only one choice now. “The basement” he stated turning on his heel and sprinting down towards the basement, doing his best to dodge the oncoming debris that fell along with furniture.

Just as Hailstorm had gotten to the basement one of the nearby art statues slid down his direction, heading his way.

Flying down the steps and jumping out of the way Hailstorm barely escaped getting knocked down by a statue.

“Ngh” he groaned rubbing his head. The house was still shaking a bit and now things were getting bad. He had to get out of here. Attempting to get up he fell back to the ground.

“Oh no!” he said feeling his sprained ankle. “Of all my luck!” he stated and just as that sentence ended part of the ceiling upstairs collapsed and slammed into the floorboards, this in turn caused the basement to shift and shake a bit.

Hailstorm lay still throughout the aftershock. “This was a horrible idea” he muttered coughing as dust rose from the corners of the basement. “Why did I-” he paused a glint had hit his glasses.

It was the mirror. It was glowing. And in it he could see fields?

Disbelief filled his mind, This is insane! was all I could think. Although after these last couple of months can you really be complaining? his conscience retorted. The house's creaking was enough to give him an answer. Half-limping half crawling, he was able to reach the mirror that was leaning against the wall.

Forcing himself to stand on his bad foot Hailstorm looked into the mirror. And what he saw baffled him. It was, his own reflection.

Really? Really?! I nearly died for this?!! Well I’m dead now because- before he could finish that thought a brick from above fell and clonked him on the head.

“I’m...toast...now” he muttered as he fell forward and disappeared into the mirror.


A figure lay on the forest ground breathing steadily.

“SILVER CALIBER!!” a scream echoed in Hailstorm’s head, shivering he woke up with a start. His light brown eyes, quickly scanning his surrounding area before he breathed a sigh of relief. Although that sigh was soon accompanied by a grunt, because his head had begun to hurt with such a force.

“Ngh!” he exclaimed as the pain doubled when he moved his hoof over to the side of his head. A large bump was there.

Probably from when that brick hit me with a theatrical sigh Hailstorm slowly got on his hooves.

“Now where am I?” he thought trotting forward his bad hoof surprisingly going unnoticed as he moved in the forest.

Then it hit him. “Why am I on all fours?” he thought aloud as he stared at his hooves. “W-What in the world?!” he yelled jumping back only for the pain in his head and leg to cause him to flinch and lay on the ground holding his head with both hooves, he remained still for a bit before daring to move again.

“Ngh..” he groaned and slowly got up. “Great” he muttered. “I’m in a forest and am probably hallucinating again” he stated readjusting his glasses.

Then a horrible stench hit his nose.

“Aw! Gross! What is that horrible smell!” he exclaimed waving a hoof over his face.

A growl made him freeze in place, followed by a snort that hit him in the neck making the hairs on his neck stand up. Both his ears were alert and pointing straight up, and every fiber in this new form was telling him to run. Yet he had to see what was behind him

Just a peek he thought. A quick look, I mean how bad could it be? although as he turned that horrid stench grew worse and so did his urge to run. When he finally lifted his head to greet his unexpected guest, he saw it was a wolf, probably born by the forest itself.

“I-I-I-Is that a-” timberwolf? his conscience asked. The same timberwolves you saw chase that dragon and orange pony in your dreams? You bet.

Hailstorm was trembling now, the pain in his head was nothing compared to the confusion and fear he felt at this moment. As the timberwolf stared back at Hailstorm growling, he slowly began to back up only to bump into another one that had appeared right behind him.

“...” his eyes had shrunk to dots as he bit his lip, shaking like a leaf. The next move he made he wasn’t sure if it was the adrenaline or the fear.

In a swift movement Hailstorm had got on his front hooves and reeling in his legs he bucked the timberwolf behind him wincing in turn, the creature collapsed. Quickly jumping right over the disassembled creature and galloping his way through the forest, only to hear the howl of the wolves and know they were in hot pursuit after him.

“Oh my gosh! Oh my Gosh! OH MY GOSH!” he yelled glancing behind him every few seconds as he jumped over roots and slid under branches. “Why does all the bad stuff happen to me?!” he exclaimed only to hear the howl of one of the wolves in response.

They were gaining up on him and at the rate he was going they’d soon catch him. And then he’d be there meal.

“Cmon! Cmon! Cmon!” he panted galloping faster, trying to pick up the pace as he heard one of the wolves snarl right behind him.

Up ahead there was a large tree that had an opening underneath its roots.

If I can just slide under there! he thought only to have his left hind leg get smacked back by one of the wolves paws.

The next thing Hailstorm knew was that he was skipping and bouncing on the ground, like a pebble that had been hopping over a river before inevitably sinking.

When he did come to a stop he had scratches and dirt all over him, his glasses were now bent and he couldn’t bring himself to move as he leaned on one of the roots of the trees.. Just a few feet away to his right was the opening he needed to escape, but he couldn’t do it, that little slip up had him pretty beaten up and he was feeling sore all over.

The timberwolves were just ahead of him. They had now come to a slow a steady approach, stalking Hailstorm like they would for any of their other prey. Letting the feeling of being trapped like a rat sink in Hailstorm sighed, a sad smile on his face as he took off his glasses, flicking the broken pair off his face with his hoof he looked at the wolves as they approached him.

So this is it huh? I spent half a year trying to figure out just what secrets were being hidden from my entire life and somehow I end up in a strange place? About to be eaten by...these rancid things. His nose wrinkled at the awful smell.

The timberwolves were now in front of him, all three. And the one who had been leading the chase stood directly in front of Hailstorm, murky drool seeping from its mouth.

Well I guess if I’m going out he thought as tears started to blur his vision.

I’m going out like a man forgetting his new form completely, Hailstorm glared at his foes and screamed “Bring it on ya sick freaks of nature! Cmon DO IT! I’ll give you all indigestion when you’re through!”

The wolves roared, I screamed with anger.

And then. There was silence.

Author's Note:

Alright guys so Chapter 2 will be published over the weekend be sure to stay tuned to check it out!

EDIT: Fixed a few things in this chapter.