• Published 6th Sep 2015
  • 1,796 Views, 20 Comments

Existential Secrets - Black Hailstorm



Hailstorm has spent his entire life living like any normal human, until 6+ months after his 18th birthday where he begins having dreams. Every time he raises the issue he is ignored or given vague answers, but the truth could lie beyond that mirror.

  • ...
5
 20
 1,796

Chapter 11: The Diplomat

“A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in a way you actually look forward to the trip.”

Two days have passed since I gained my cutie mark. I still haven’t slept and have been taking cold showers every now and then so I can stay awake. It’s starting to take a major toll on me, more than the dreams ever were.

“This sucks” I sighed as I sat in Twilight’s library, with all the other members of the mane 6.

Each mare glanced at each other with worried looks as they watched my slowly weakening state grow worse as the seconds passed.

“Um...Hailstorm” Fluttershy said quietly.

“Yeah?” I asked barely being able to lift my eyes in her direction I shifted my head up so I could see her. “What’s up Flutter?”

“Um well you see... um” she glanced down then looked back up at me, two strands of her hair falling down gently against her face as she ran her hoof in circles around Twilight’s shining crystal like floor. “We were wondering if you..wouldn’t mind getting some sleep.”

I shook my head slowly, so as not to cause another headache from occurring. “Can’t do that. Got to stay up and avoid those dreams” I said weakly, my voice dwindling in the confidence I didn’t have to support such a claim.

Rarity stepped forward, trotting over to me gently the mare lifted my head up so I could look her right in the eyes.

“Hailstorm, deary you look awful” she said frankly, but with a touch of a gentle smile added to her lips.

I managed a very weak smile of my own. “And you look beautiful” I retorted.

The mare simply smiled back, but it was a sad smile. The type of smile that ate you up inside till you had to look away. “Hailstorm you’ve got to get some rest. Please, we’re all worried about you. You haven’t slept in two days this can’t be good for your health dearest” she said running a hoof through my mane.

I didn’t respond but continued to smile weakly.

“Hailstorm quit being so stubborn, listen to what we’re saying dang gonnit!” Applejack said her brows furrowed in annoyance as she paced around me coming to a stop a few feet in front..

“How can you be this stubborn, what you’re doing here is hurtin’ yourself here for cryin’ out loud” the orange pony said the slight plea in her voice creeping in.

My smile didn’t falter. “Are you forgetting that you’re just as stubborn miss ‘I’ll clear the entire orchard by myself’?” I asked, this only earned Applejack’s sad frown in response.

“Look” I said pushing myself up as I stared at the mares, almost forgetting that I was a bit taller than them. “I get you all are worried for me” I said in my attempt to stifle a yawn only to fail.

“But I can’t go back to sleep now. I need to figure out where that other guy is. Poison Dart’s descendant. I need to find him so we can work things out-” I yawned again, longer this time. “peacefully” I added once I had finished.

They all looked at each other, again.

“We understand your desire to find this pony but Hailstorm” Twilight said trotting up to Rarity who was watching my posture carefully in case I decided to collapse from fatigue. “we don’t even know who or where this pony could be.”

“Heck we don’t even know what he or she even looks like” Rainbow chimed in as she hovered above us.

I frowned. That was true. There was no point in staying up so long if I didn’t even know what this descendant of my ancestor’s rival even looked like. Let alone even knew where to begin looking. An idea occurred to me as sleep began taking it’s toll over my gradually slowing mind.

“I know! The hospitals here, they must keep records of all the ponies born right?” I asked feeling a slight burst of energy at the chance of a solution.

“Yes... but” Twilight began only to be cut off as I lifted her hoof up in my own.

“Please look through them. See if you can find anyone or any leads to Poison Dart’s descendant. Please?”

Twilight looked back at the others. All of them looking away in uncomfortableness at the request I had asked of them. I felt all my hopes dropping to the ground, that is until Spike spoke next.

“Will you get some sleep then?” he asked cautiously, waiting for my response.

I thought about it.

“Hailstorm!” the dragon yelled.

“Alright alright, I’ll get some rest just do me this favor alright?” I asked the group who slowly gave me reluctant nods.

Standing onto my hooves I was about to turn around and move over to a corner in the library where I would catch a few z’s under the sun’s warmth, at least as best as this curse would let me.

“Oh yeah!” I said turning around as another thought popped into my mind, turning to the group I had noticed Pinkie had disappeared, but I shrugged it off and dismissed the fact that Rainbow Dash and the others were shaking their heads in refusal of something.

“If you find anything let me know immediately”, they nodded. Although I knew they weren’t going to do that. Turning around I was surprised to find Pinkie standing behind me putting a hoof back in her mane.

“What were you-”

“Nothing” she exclaimed through a nervous smile before hopping back to the others. I watched them leave. Laying down on a spot where I felt most comfortable I closed my eyes. Sleep took over almost instantly.


Somewhere in Manehattan in the home of a rather large building, stood a unicorn as he gazed at his figure in the mirror. The bronze unicorn, was soon approached by a butler with a tray as a cutie-mark, bearing his suit and a can of gel in his magic.

Placing the coat on the bronze pony, the unicorn took up the gel as it was placed in one hoof, dipping another hoof in it and styling his light brown mane to it’s normal slick back appearance, he cracked a small smile as he trotted over to his bed and pulled open a drawer.

“Thank you Winston” the bronze unicorn said in his calm almost aristocratic-like voice. “But I’ve told you many times. You don’t need to do this anymore I’m old enough to dress myself” the unicorn said still smiling warmly at his butler, as he took out a wrist band carrying a red stone and placed it on his hoof right above his left wrist.

“Nonsense Master Detta. I have watched you grow from a fragile and scared colt to a fine stallion today, and I can assure you your parents and I are very, very proud. I am simply happy to apply my services to you now that you have become a diplomat and representative of Manehattan.”

“Thank you Winston” the unicorn said once more,as he fastened the mystical stoned gauntlet around his wrist.

“Your welcome Master Detta” the older unicorn said as he began making his way out. “Oh yes one more thing sir” the gray haired unicorn said stopping at the doorway, stroking his curled up moustache. “The amulet. It hasn’t been causing you any trouble now has it?” he asked his accent giving in to some worry.

The bronze unicorn merely smiled at his butler, and one of his closest friends. Trotting up to the older stallion the unicorn gently patted a hoof on Winston’s back. “I’m fine Winston. Don’t you worry. Like I’ve said before I’m the only one that’s immune to the effects of the amulet, you’ve got nothing to worry about” he said with a reassuring smile as he gently patted the stallion’s back.

Winston nodded, giving a small smile in return for the reassurance. “If that is what you say Master Detta. Do you want me to call a taxi so you aren’t late for the train headed towards Canterlot?” the butler asked.

“Please do” he said turning around and staring at his figure once again in the mirror. The bronze unicorn slowly ran a hoof through his light brown slicked back mane a small smile forming on his lips.

“I have a feeling something interesting is going to be happening tonight.”


<(((((O)))))>

My eyes flickered open, and I once again found myself encased in that deep dark abyss where I would wait for a Dream Phase to pull me in.

That didn’t happen this time.

Unlike before though I could actually feel my body- well not my original one but the one I’ve had ever since I got here. All I could do was just float aimlessly around, in that eternal dark void. Waiting for something to happen. Then I heard a voice, a faint one at first. But as the seconds passed that voice slowly grew stronger, less deep and more...feminine? Possibly a mixture between both male and female because I sure I could hear more than one voice under the feminine one that spoke to me.

Hailstorm...” the voice called almost weakly, yet had a sense of feeling to it. Almost like it was calling for my attention.

I turned, or at least I think I did, I couldn’t really see anything so I may have just been in the same place and just turned my head.

“Who is that? What are you?” I asked feeling sweat forming on my brow. Could you even sweat in a dream? Was that possible? The voice’s reply soon called to me before I could answer my own question

I...am...Misery...” it said.

“Well I’m miserable” I commented. “What are you doing in here? You a part of the dream phases I’ve been having? A friend of Caliber or Vindictive maybe?”

I didn’t get a response just silence, my words echoing in the void-less space I floated in.

“Hello?” I called. “Answer me! What are you?! Are you related to this in anyway?!” I shouted, feeling some form of desperation start to take over. Something was telling me that whatever this thing was, it wouldn’t be responding to my demands so easily.

“Hello?!” I called again the silence being broken as my words began reverberating around me, causing me to clutch my ears to avoid from yelling from pure frustration.

A cold faint laugh that grew imminently closer as my own echos died out, made me freeze in place. The feminine voice was gone, and had been replaced by a deep almost feral like voice. Repeating these words over and over and over.

Torture...Pain...Suffering...Forever yours, as long as we are one

Torture...Pain...Suffering...Forever yours, as long as we are one

Torture-”

“Shut up!” I shouted wincing as the voices got louder and louder, reverberating all around me.

Pain-”

“I said be quiet!” I demanded feeling anger take over, as my body began to feel hot and warm, just like when Slingshot had been hit with that protection charm.

Suffering” the feminine voice said, now replacing the feral. “Forever yours-”

“I SAID SILENCE!” the last words cascaded, drowning out all the voices that had been echoing in the room, including the entity that had spoken them. Then it was, the place had become eerily quiet.

Till my ears twitched, my bristles standing on end, as I could sense a presence that for some reason was both there and not there.

Forever yours” the feminine voice whispered in one ear, in an almost coquettish manner. “As long as we are one” the feral voice said in the other.

<(((((O)))))>

With a snap I was forced awake Rarity had been shaking me, looking at me with the utmost bewilderment as if I had done something awful.

“W-what is it?” I asked noticing I was standing up, I looked around. The library was a mess.

“Did I?” I asked in disbelief as I stared at the shattered bookshelves and hole in the wall I had obviously made with a hoof. “Did I do all this?” I asked Rarity who simply remained silent staring at me with nothing but fear in her eyes.

The white mare embraced me in a comforting hug, wrapping a hoof around me so tightly, as if she were keeping all the evil in the world away from me just so I wouldn’t suffer anymore.

“It’ll be okay” she whispered. “We’ll help you get through this, alright? Everything will be just fine” she said in as strong of an encouraging voice she could muster.

But I knew. Everything wasn’t going to be just fine.


A train slowly came to pull up at it’s destination in Canterlot. Three alicorns, along with five other mares a dragon and myself awaiting our honored guest before the meeting begins. It was late night and I learned that Rarity had come to get me for the diplomatic meeting that was going to occur tonight, they had all been invited and I was included as an honored guest. It felt strange wearing a jacket in this form, but luckily with Rarity’s discerning eye she chose the best jacket that would work for me (mainly because I had refused vehemently to wear a tux of any type in this form). The mare had been insistent I wear something presentable.

Steam blew from the train’s engine as it came to a steady stop and the conductor came out. “Canterlot, Last Stop!” he hollered outside. A group of passengers came out all going their different ways and at the very back I could see a unicorn making his way through.

Once the crowd had parted our guest and also the diplomat who would be playing a part in the meeting was revealed. A bronze unicorn, with a carefully gel backed mane trotted forward. The unicorn wore a light blue suit coat that was partially hiding his cutie mark. From his stance and the way he looked I automatically knew this stallion came from great wealth.

The bronze unicorn trotted forward, practically the same height as me and bowed rather gracefully to the three princesses all of which who smiled kindly in return.

“Welcome Vendetta” Princess Celestia said still carrying that charismatic smile. “We’re so glad you could make the meeting on such short notice.”

The bronze unicorn smiled warmly, lifting his head up so he could properly look at the princess. “My dear Princess I would not miss this meeting for the world, especially when I get to be graced by you and your sister’s lovely presence” he said in his slightly faint Manehattan accent.

Celestia merely continued to smile. “Well shall we go?”

Everyone nodded and we all began making our way towards the castle. Vendetta walking beside me. I had to say the guy gave off a rather...charismatic feeling almost like Celestia, but it was more...stronger I suppose would be the right word to describe it, I thought as I glanced at the bronze unicorn next to me.

My eyes immediately fell on his wrist band, which contained an amulet of sorts, obviously no one had really noticed or else Rarity would’ve been on him like Spike on gemstones. As I continued to stare at the wristband around Vendetta’s left hoof I noticed a design, though very faint so as not to be clearly seen. It looked almost like an Equine? Now that I think about it that stone looks familiar.

“So you must be Hailstorm” the unicorn said taking me away from my suspicions.

“Yes I am” I said ridding my voice of any form of surprise. “How do you know who I am, if I may ask Vendetta?”

The bronze unicorn grinned. “Everypony who’s a pony knows who you are. Rumors have it that you’ve come from another world and are here exploring Equestria to bring your people to. Others say that you’re a changeling who’s merely fibbing so that he can gain enough strength and bring the rest of his people and queen to take over. And few...well few say you’re just insane,” he said the last bit rather nicely so as not to offend me.

“Is that so?” I asked hiding any signs of the deep irritation I was beginning to feel. Two months in this world and already insane rumors like this had spread.

“Well I suppose it was only a matter of time. Can’t expect to come to another world and not have people talk about it.”

Vendetta chuckled. “Don’t let it bother you. I can say for a fact that I do not believe any of those rumors.”

“Then what do you believe?” I asked as we all climbed the steps into the castle.

“I believe, you are a very special being, who’s got something surprising in store for all of us” he said with a smile.

Hm...nice choice of words. I couldn’t restrain the grin on my face. “Thanks” I said gratefully, that someone wasn’t going to assume I was either nuts or here to do something dreadful. “Speaking of which what is this meeting for anyway? I was told we’d be in here because it was important yet I know nothing of what we’re here to discuss” I asked as Celestia, Luna, and Twilight Sparkle talked to the guards on safety precautions.

“Well apparently we’re here to discuss a rather interesting topic. Something one of the ambassadors in Trottingham brought up in an article” Vendetta answered.

I nodded, as a thought occurred to me. “How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking” I said as the gates to the throne room were thrown open by the guards and everypony walked in.


“18” he replied. “You?”

“Same as you” I responded. He nodded, and without another word we both turned our attention to the three alicorns standing before us, Twilight looking slightly uncomfortable as she sat with Princess Celestia and Luna, looking at the rest of us from above.

“We thank you all for taking some time to come here on such short notice, but my sister and I have decided it would be best that we clear any misconceptions about the safety of Equestria” Luna said, from her seat.

So that’s what this is about my conscience said.

“Now Ambassador Wind Shout would you please step forward and speak” Princess Celestia said turning her attention to the pegasus that had been sitting in the room patiently, when we arrived.

The aquamarine colored pegasus, with a arctic lime mane and tail stepped forward stroking his small beard. “Thank you princess” he bowed.

Turning to the rest of us Wind Shout began speaking in a rather loud voice that made me understand why ‘Shout” was a part of his name.

“Now I’m sure all of you haven’t forgotten the recent events that have occurred in Equestria. The whole incident with the changelings, which I happened to get tossed into after I had come here on important business” the pegasus said in a rather blunt tone.

“Tirek’s catastrophic come of power, and his nearly complete annihilation of all that were there. The banishment of our Princesses, and us nearly losing our very heroes if it hadn’t been for sheer brains and luck” he replied throwing a glance at Twilight who managed a rather nervous smile in response, then back to the mane 6 where I stood with them along with Spike and Vendetta.

“And now we have...him” he said in slight coldness towards me.

I just stared with little to zero interest written on my face.

“Now what’s that supposed to mean!” Rainbow Dash said floating right up to the pegasus, getting right up in the ambassador’s face.

The ambassador merely tapped Rainbow’s muzzle and pushed her aside. “I mean what if this fellow is merely here to cause another riot of some sort or throw us all into some crazy form of mayhem we know nothing about!” the pegasus said slamming a hoof on the ground.

Everyone was silent. All the other politicians that had originally merely nodded at me were now staring at me like I was a bug and they wanted so badly to squish it. I could feel the added weight starting to come on me, but being a person who never cared for politics I merely shrugged the feeling off as nothing. There was nothing they could say to make me feel wrong, unless I gave them the opening.

Rainbow Dash was about to speak until a rather harsh voice took over. “How Dare YOU!” Fluttershy exclaimed her eyes giving off that terrifying feeling of rage which was so rarely seen on her.

“Hailstorm hasn’t done anything wrong to deserve such slander so you can just keep your negativity to yourself!” she stated, then suddenly grew quiet as all eyes were on her. Immediately reverting back to the anxiety induce Fluttershy who’d grown up step by step she meekly responded.

“I-If you don’t mind.”

Applejack nodded as Fluttershy crept over to hide behind the country earth pony. “Fluttershy’s right. Now what makes you think you can just make sudden accusations like that without any real proof or reasonin’?” she questioned with a raised hoof.

Wind Shout responded in his rather loud voice, “I have heard enough rumors and gathered from various sources that this um...what is your name again?”

“Hailstorm” I replied cooly.

“This Hailstorm, fellow has been having dreams that seem to have you all quite worried or do my sources lie to me?” the pegasus asked with a raised brow.

I felt the weight on my back suddenly double. How did he know that? the inner me questioned, I couldn’t respond. Though shocked on the inside, my calm composure remained on the outside, something I’d become quite good at over the years.

The pegasus sneered, when he didn’t get the reaction he had wanted. “Well Princess’ do you truly believe that Hailstorm may or may not pose a harm to Equestria? Because I’m certain we all here have had enough trouble from Tirek, the changelings and Discord all combined, to register for another surprise attack” he finished before turning around and trotting back to his position.

The three alicorns were silent; that wasn’t a good sign.

Obviously from Luna and Celestia’s slightly surprised reactions this thought had never occurred to them or at the very least if it had my story had proven to wilt away their fears. However with this question being thrown back at them again suspicions would rise; that I may be a threat, that I was possibly doing all this to learn something just so I could turn around and stab them in the back later. Twilight’s expression however went from complete shock to a serious stare.

“Ambassador Shout” she began. “I understand your concerns on Equestria’s safety, but we’ve been with Hailstorm these past two months. Don’t you think we would have noticed something off about his approach to us this entire time?”

The pegasus remained silent tossing a cold stare in my direction, before directing his attention back to the lavender alicorn. “That may be so but, and excuse me for saying this your Highnesses, isn’t it possible that he may be just treating you all as fools?
After all this isn’t the first time somepony has tricked everyone here before am I right?

“Need I remind you of the Canterlot Wedding incident where no one suspected the Changeling Queen herself, Chrysalis, was actually in disguise as Princess Cadence till it was nearly too late?”he said looking at all the other politicians, the mane 6, royalty and finally at me before remaining silent.

Luna immediately stood, glaring coldly at the pegasus before Celestia gently touched her shoulder, calming her. “Ambassador Shout, we understand and are gratefully for your concerns but-”

“Excuse me your Highness” Vendetta spoke up having been silent this entire time. “I would like to say a few words if it would be alright with you?”

Celestia paused, before nodding her approval. “Go ahead Vendetta.”

Vendetta nodded the unicorn trotting forward his gold wristband holding the amulet, catching the lights of the throne room ever so slightly.

Clearing his throat he spoke in a smooth voice, his faint accent blending in easily almost enriching the words he uttered.

“I agree with almost everything Ambassador Wind Shout has said” he said, drawing the unwelcomed looks from Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Fluttershy. The ambassador however was grinning, the other politicians waited showing either little to no enthusiasm or doing rather well to hide their curiosity in what the young stallion had to say.

“I said almost” he repeated stressing the word. “We have been through a lot. Equestria has been through a lot. But I must say aren’t we partially at fault here?” he asked the group before him. A few mutters here and there could be heard until a mare asked “ What do you mean we’re at fault?, We’ve done nothing at all!” she exclaimed which in turn ushered the cheers of assent from the others.

Vendetta grinned, it was a welcoming one but there was something about it that felt, slightly off. “Oh have we now?” the unicorn said.

“I’ve been doing some research ever since I heard about the Ambassador’s claim on Equestria has been getting hit with more attacks for reasons we haven’t brought upon us. This got me wondering, are we really that innocent?” he asked the crowd, no one responded.

I on the other hand was interested to see where this was going, from the looks of the princesses and Ambassador Tart, so did they.

“You mentioned the changeling Queen and how she attacked us for power and for her people, but I believe that you may have made an error in that article” he said turning to the mare who had addressed the question.

“I read that article, and read it carefully and after getting information from multiple sources who were part of the attack I found that the changeling queen did it not for power, but for her people. Granted she did it with an entirely wrong approach , for that I must admit is undoubtable. However” Vendetta paused as he took a quick glance around to make sure everyone was following.

They were. Attentively.

“However I believe we may have made a slight error in our reasoning, Tirek aside that beast couldn’t have been negotiated with since his purpose was to destroy us entirely. The changeling queen however I’d say we are partially at fault since we never came to understand things from her perspective.”

This has gotten very interesting. “And what perspective would that be?” I asked drawing everyone’s attention to me, also drawing the smile of the bronze unicorn that seemed to have almost everypony wrapped around his hoof as he spoke.

“Simple, her purpose was to feed her children, she didn’t want power, she didn’t want fame, true the latter may have surfaced when she came to win” he added when he noticed Twilight was about to protest.

“But we didn’t take into account that she wanted to feed her kind. Just like parents will feed their children when hungry, just like our Princesses protect us when we are in danger” he said looking up at the three alicorns, then looking at the mane 6, he said: “Just like these 6 brave mares have protected us, with their lives on the line every step of the way.”

Silence, ensued. If I had a pin right now I would’ve dropped it just to hear the comedic and ironic effect of it being clearly audible across this entire throne room.


“What does this have anything to do with the matter at hand” the ambassador asked doing his best to hide the intrigued look he had gained throughout the unicorn’s speech.

“I’m glad you asked Ambassador. My reasoning to this matter and the other matters, like with the Master of Chaos's punishment, Nightmare Moon’s banishment, The Sirens who I have only heard of in rumors exile, throughout some of these cases we have had a lack of one thing: Understanding. Compliance, being able to try to work the discrepancies in a way that there is a manageable solution. If we had possibly tried to confront the changeling queen during her attempt of taking over it’s possible we could have come to an easy solution.”

“Nonsense” one of the politicians next to me scoffed. “The changelings wouldn’t stop there it would get out of hand before we could say or do anything to stop them-”

“And it is that kind of reasoning is what may have brought on the approach Queen Chrysalis made.”

“What do you mean?” Luna asked.

“How many times have we ponies deemed something a monster, because they were different? Or ridicule somepony for not being either just as special or just as good at something as the rest?” Vendetta asked the crowd I could sense a slight alteration in the tone of his voice, but he managed to cover it up quickly.

Silence again for the third time. That is until Rainbow Dash broke it.

“I don’t see anyway to reason with someone who hypnotized Twilight’s brother and kidnapped a princess to help her kind. I’d say that’s just asking for a fight” she said casually.

Vendetta turned his attention to her.

“I agree. That is just asking for a fight. But you’ve got to think. If she had come here just walked up, asked for an audience with Princess Celestia and Luna do you think the townspeople wouldn’t give her a hard time before she got here?

“I’m not defending her for manipulating Princess Twilight’s brother and kidnapping her sister-in-law, but I am saying wouldn’t we have labelled her a monster either way prior to before she even committed those actions? Sure maybe not you. But some of you would, and you ponies know who you are.”

Rainbow Dash’s expression said she couldn’t argue with that logic. Vendetta offered a small smile in response.

“If we had some understanding and compassion I believe we could come up with easier solutions to all our problems and maybe just a little manipulation, for good measure” he said the last a bit in more of a mutter that my ears just barely managed to catch.

“You still have answered one thing, what does this have to do with the topic on Hailstorm” the ambassador said, tapping his hoof impatiently.

I sighed, shaking my head.

Pinkie Pie popped up in front of the aquamarine pegasus giving him the evil eye while saying, “He’s saying that if we are able to show a bit more sympathy than we can try to take the time to understand where my good buddy Hailstorm is coming from Mr.Shout.”

Thank you Pinkie I thought as the mare hopped back over to us and stood beside me.

“You make...a very interesting point Mr.Vendetta, I-”

“Please Princess Twilight, Vendetta is fine” he said smiling warmly.

“Okay? Um, anyway I agree with what you’re saying. If somepony” she said glancing at Ambassador Wind Shout, “could show some compassion than maybe he would see that there’s nothing to worry about once he realizes our friend poses no harm to Equestria.”

“Well said Twilight Sparkle” Luna chimed in. “Now I believe we have reduced your worries if not only a bit, Ambassador?” she asked looking down upon the pegasus.

Wind Shout bowed, showing no signs of annoyance or anger. “Yes your majesties. At least for now.”

Luna nodded and looked at her sister who rose from her position, standing on her long legs..

“With that matter settled I believe this meeting is adjourned, thank you all for coming to help clear up the misconceptions on the matter.” Celestia smiled as the politicians all rose, “And have a wonderful night.”


The meeting was over, all the politicians had cleared out including Ambassador Wind Shout. The only beings left in the throne room was Celestia, Luna, Spike, Vendetta, Twilight and the rest of the mane 6, including myself.

“Well whooee!” Applejack exclaimed. “What a speech, Vendetta you sure know you’re way on how to talk down a few ponies, heck you had me listening attentively to every word” she said trotting up to the bronze unicorn and heartily patting him on the back.

Vendetta managed a rather calm, grateful smile. “Thank you Applejack. I saw things wouldn’t end well for Hailstorm here so I decided to intervene and end things as quickly as possible.”

“Well you sure did a good job. You had that loud-mouth speechless with your counters. It. Was. Awesome!” Rainbow gushed, then cleared her throat and replied more calmly “You know for politics or whatever.”

I rolled my eyes. “Seriously though, thanks man. You really saved me back there” I said trotting up to the bronze unicorn, offering a hoof.

Vendetta looked at it, offered another one of those charismatic smiles and shook my hoof accordingly.

“Well then since it’s getting so late why don’t you all spend the night in the castle. I’ll have rooms arranged for you if you’re willing” Celestia said as she came down from her throne.

“That would be wonderful, thank you Princess” Twilight responded with a smile.

“I will go inform the guards” Luna said as she trotted past us and left the room. Celestia soon followed behind her.

“If anything happens don’t hesitate to call” her gaze directed toward the mare's now surrounding me. “I’ll have the guards come for you and escort you all to your rooms once everything is prepared” and with that the regal beauty trotted off.

Once the princesses were gone it was just left with me and the others.

Pinkie Pie was the first to break the awkward silence.

“Oh where did you get that cool wristband?” she asked crouching over the hoof where Vendetta’s wristband resided.

“And look at that stone. Oh it’s just so precious” Rarity stated, staring carefully at the amulet imbedded into the gold wristband around the unicorn’s front hoof. “Oh?” she said her eyes now catching the faint signs of the marks I had noticed earlier. “What’s this now?” she asked looking up at Vendetta.

“It was a gift” Vendetta replied avoiding the question about the insignia. “I’ve had this stone ever since I was a colt. It was given to me as a present of sorts” he said lifting his hoof up to stare at the stone.

“Oh I see and where’d you get it?” Applejack chimed in.

“I do not know. My parents were the ones who got it for me, I never really asked where they’d gotten it” he responded, placing his hoof back down.


“Well it’s simply lovely” Rarity said smiling gleefully at the unicorn as she continued to admire his jewelry.

Pinkie Pie zipped forward, lifting up Vendetta’s hoof staring at the alluring item. “Hey what’s that?” she asked her hoof hovering over the wristband.

“That!” she said pointing to the spot where faint signs of the insignia remained. “It looks almost like a-” quickly pulling his hoof away, Vendetta said. “Sorry this item is rather quite important to me. I’d appreciate it if things weren’t pried more than necessary. Personal reasons and all” he said adding the last bit to hastily dismiss the confused looks the mares were giving him.

My brain however had begun working. Why does that stone look so familiar?

Throwing open the doors to the throne and interrupting my thoughts were two guards, a pegasus clad in Luna’s symbolic night armor holding three stars, accompanying him was a bat pony who looked to be his partner . “We’ve come to escort you to your rooms.”

*** ****** ***

The girls including Spike had left. Vendetta and I said our goodbyes but not before the girls had a word with him in private.

“What did they say to you?” I asked once the unicorn had trotted back to join my company.

“Nothing you need to worry about” he said reassuringly.

“Sirs” one of the guards said. “Ready to go?”

We nodded.

As we trotted up the castle steps to a room directly opposite to the girls, my mind began to wander in thought.

Since I had taken a quick cold shower before heading over to Canterlot in a hurry I hadn’t had enough time to think about the events before we needed to make our quick trip over.

“Misery” I said under my breath. The name fit perfectly for whatever the being was that now invaded my Dream Phase. Whatever this entity was it, him...her, was now a part of my dream phase now. I didn’t like this at all. I’d be lucky if I even managed to pass out from exhaustion at this rate.

My eyes went over to a small glint of light. It was Vendetta’s valuable wristband. The unicorn seemed to care for that a lot, but certainly didn’t mind showing it off when necessary. It’s obvious he’s proud of it. Though I’m not sure why exactly the stone looks so familiar to me every time I look at it.

“Here we are sir” the guards said turning my attention to the two rooms in front of us.

“The one on the left is yours Sir Vendetta, the one on the right belongs to you Sir Hailstorm” the mare guard instructed.

I nodded my thanks as the guards began to walk away. Although just before Vendetta and I entered our individual rooms I noticed the mare leave her superior’s side for a brief moment to talk to the unicorn. I rolled my eyes.

“She sure didn’t waste a chance now did she?” I said to Vendetta, a sly grin forming on my face as he left the bat mare’s side having been called back rather loudly by her superior.

Vendetta didn’t hesitate to grow slightly bright in the cheeks at my comment. “Right, well then. It’s been a long day. I’ll see you in the morning Hailstorm” the flustered unicorn said as he trotted back towards his room. I merely grinned as he slammed the door a bit more forcefully with his magic more than necessary.

Now back in my own room I layed down. “Today had been surprisingly easier to deal with in comparison to all the other days of the past” I muttered to myself, while I stared at the beige colored ceiling that greeted my gaze.

Laying there for about two minutes and soaking in the silence and tranquility I’d finally been able to take in since I came to this world, I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Now if only I could figure out how to take off this jacket.”


After working restlessly for five minutes I finally managed to slide the jacket off my body. Feeling more tired than I should’ve I layed on the bed and just stared at the ceiling until eventually, sleep reared it’s ugly head. And I succumb to its demands.

<(((((O)))))>

“How are you faring with things so far?” I heard a familiar voice say to my side.

“I’m...managing. Granted I feel more like an earth pony now that I can’t use magic” I felt the voice say, doing its best to sound more retired with the thought than sad.

The pony beside me didn’t respond, I couldn’t tell if it was either out of some sort of uncomfortableness or another motive. At the very least I know knew who I was seeing things from.

“Poison Dart” Slingshot’s voice said after those few minutes of awkward silence. “You know my-”

“I know” the chemical teacher responded. “I chose to take the hit for my father, no matter how foolish it may have been I’m just glad it was able to make the fighting stop... though I can’t say I don’t miss using magic” his voice said slightly straining as I could feel a lump growing in his throat.

There was another set of minutes full of awkward silence before Slingshot broke the silence again.

“I’m sorry”

“For?”

“For what’s happened, if I had been able to predict what happened I might have been able to-” my vision now turned from the view of Canterlot city to the view of Slingshot.

The unicorn that looked so healthy was a mirror of what he looked like now. Slingshot clearly looked distraught, as a fellow insomniac I could tell the unicorn hadn’t slept in the past few days. It sent shivers up my spine to see that he had been suffering from the very same curse I was, despite the difference in effects it was having on either of us.

“You couldn’t have known. Besides if my father had never attacked you to begin with well we wouldn’t be in this mess” he smiled weakly, encouragingly. Anyone could tell that smile was a lie even if they were blind.

“That’s true, but that doesn’t change the fact of what happened... we’ll try to fix this. Come up with a solution. With both our skills combined we’ll come up with something!” Slingshot said trying to cheer the unicorn up. “Right?”

Poison Dart’s vision blurred a bit as he stared at the now confused look his friend was giving him after he’d asked the question. “Right” he said nodding his head.

“Right what?” Slingshot asked. “What were we talking about? And uh...why are you crying?” he asked as I felt his hoof brush away the tear sliding down Poison Dart’s cheek.

Memory lapses. Just as I’ve been suffering from intense flashes of pain and exhaustion every time I try to use my magic, Slingshot suffers from major memory lapses at any given time. There’s no warning for them, they’re random, they just happen. Sometimes he’ll forget minor things, like what he’s saying intermittently. Other times it’ll be major, like forgetting who he is or where he is. The only good thing is that the curse seems merciful in some ways, giving him his memories back once the lapses cease. But there’s never any clear given time when he gets his memories back, usually remembering the last thing that was said before the memory lapse occurred. If he’s lucky he’ll remember everything that occurred during the lapse, if not then...he becomes depressed.

More tears started to freely flow from Poison Dart’s eyes as he thought this, and while I couldn’t hear his thoughts I could definitely feel the grief this was causing him, watching one of his friends suffer. Pulling Silver Caliber into a tight hug the unicorn whispered to his confused friend.

“We’ll figure this out, my friend...somehow” he said as he wiped a tear away. “Somehow.”

<(((((O)))))>

*** ****** ***

Laying down on the bed Vendetta looked at his wristband staring at the barely visible insignia before it. After a few seconds of silent staring the unicorn dropped his left hoof to the side, letting it fall with a flop on the bed.

He sighed staring at the ceiling, then turned his head to look at the clock. It was 12:30 a.m.

Turning his head back to the ceiling the unicorn began to think about what he had said during the meeting. When he went up there the words just came to him, like they usually did whenever he was proving a point or in an important discussion. It was one of the reasons he’d taken to politics in the first place, because he was good with words, influencing or convincing people with his speeches.

Sure I put thought into it, but sometimes I just merely improvise Vendetta thought. Although I should be thanking the Ambassador, he made it easy when he mentioned Queen Chrysalis a slight smile forming on his lips at the thought of how easy it was to turn the whole argument against Wind Shout.

“His reaction wasn’t really what I expected, but I suppose the Ambassador of Trottingham would have a lot more class than the politicians and representatives of Canterlot” he said to the air.

Almost immediately he shook his head, Shouldn’t be speaking so foully of my home, I was born here after all and moved to Manehattan as a young colt. Sitting up on his haunches the bronze unicorn looked out the window adjacent to him. Princess Luna was standing guard staring up at the night sky as the stars sparkled so brilliantly, her majestic mane flowing in the breeze.

Nightmare Moon huh? he thought as he trotted towards his window to look up at the night sky. “Rather silly to think a Princess as beautiful as Luna could have been the once dreaded creature that gave me nightmares” he said absentmindedly, before catching himself.

Turning away from the window a thought suddenly occurred to him as he lay back down on the bed, brushing his mane back into its slick style as he rested his head on the pillow, his mind drifting towards other matters.

The sirens...now that I think about... I’ve only heard rumors about them. Never really had the chance to go looking up information on them since I didn’t think it was necessary, but if I can find some information on them. Maybe I can figure out why they were banished or other so I can apply to this to my next speech if the occasion arises. Nodding with new conviction Vendetta decided that once he got back he’d ask Twilight if she had any books relating to the ancient creatures.

Just as Vendetta was about to get comfortable he heard a loud shout that made his heart skip a beat out of fright and jump off the bed all at once. It was coming from my room.


<(((((O)))))>

I was back in the void. And this time I could see, but just barely enough to see my own front hooves.

Damn it not again.

Hailstorm” I heard the voice say my name in a sing-song fashion.

“What do you want now?” I asked not bothering to hide the annoyance I felt being back here, especially after the last farewell I had received before Rarity woke me up.

Oh what’s wrong? Didn’t you miss me?” the voice now whispered in my ear, it twitched as I once again could sense the presence that seemed to be both present yet not at the same time.

Is that a trick question?

Of course not, we’re in your head remember I can hear your thoughts just as well as you can” the voice said into my ear.

“You mind telling me what you want?”

You know what I-” the voice was cut off abruptly as the feral one took over. “What we want?”

“Me?”

Affirmative” the feral one said, before it continued “After all we are-

Forever yours” the feminine voice finished her words echoing in my skull, as I soon started to feel pain take it’s toll on me.

Looks like your time is up, but don’t worry sweetie-kins” I thought I would gag at the cuteness of the name I’d just been given by a voice in my head.

I’ll- we’ll“ the feral one corrected. “be back for you later” Misery whispered into my ear, her breath practically kissing my ear.

Then I woke up.

<(((((O)))))>

My body was on fire, the pain was so intense I let out a shout which from what I could catch faintly from the other side had awoken Vendetta, almost instantly the bronze unicorn was in the room his coat no longer on him the unicorn trotted in.

“What’s wrong?” he asked with concern approaching me.

“Hurts...everywhere” I managed to gasp between breaths.

Vendetta gave me a look of both concern and confusion but regardless the unicorn lifted me up in his magic and layed me on the bed gently, my shout had apparently attracted the attention of the previous guards that had escorted us, because no sooner was I on the bed did pegasus and bat pony burst in.

“What’s going on?!” the pegasus asked. He froze. I had just been placed on the bed, Vendetta standing right in front of me as I breathed heavily from the small bursts of pain that ran down my body. My face was covered in slight sweat and Vendetta looked more surprised, at their sudden appearance.

Don’t you dare assume-

“Let’s go Comet” the bat mare named Comet however licked her lips sensationally before replying her eyes half lidded. “I think I’ll stay see if these two need a mare- I mean need any help.”

Any other situation and I would’ve laughed and probably played along, right now was not that time. “Help...me...” I winced the pain spreading now to my skin to my flesh.

Vendetta ignoring the small commotion between the mare and her superior as the pegasus tried to drag her out of the room. Vendetta immediately began scanning for any signs of injury with his horn sweeping my body from head to hoof.

“I don’t get it, I can’t find anything wrong with you internally or physically” a whimper escaped my lips as the burning turned into seething agony, managing not to shout this time I winced, mouthing the words “Do something.”

Vendetta, stared for a few seconds before he looked back at me. “This will knock you out for the rest of the night. Trust me?” he asked.

At this point I didn’t have a choice. I nodded.

A flash escaped the bronze unicorn’s horn before I felt my entire body go numb and the pain slowly dull to a small ache, eventually I felt nothing. I had just been hit with an anesthetic spell.


When I awoke I found the rest of the group standing over me, Pinkie Pie immediately zoomed up to hug me in an almost bone shattering hug as she lifted me up with immense strength like I was a teddy bear.

“Are you alright?! We heard you were in serious pain last night! Where does it hurt? Oh! Am I making it worse?” she dropped me instantly, and after I got back on my hooves and stretched hearing a popping sound I managed a small smile at the worried looks my friends were giving me.

“I’m fine no worries”

“But-” Rainbow Dash began.

“It’s nothing I’m not used to by now.” Turning my attention to Vendetta who trotted over to me from his spot behind the others I said “Thanks, this is the second time you’ve helped me out” I said a small smile appearing on my face.

“No worries, if it were reversed, you would’ve done the same thing besides I’m sure the day will come where you’ll make it up to me somehow” he said with a pat on the back.

I nodded.

Once we were all set to leave we all headed to the castle’s front gate to bid our farewell to the princess’s.

“Don’t hesitate to call if anything comes up” Princess Celestia whispered to me before I left.

Once I’d assured the two sisters I would we left, Vendetta accompanying us to Ponyville since he said he had some business he wanted to attend to.

“So Vendetta” Twilight said as we all made our way back to her castle. “What were you planning on doing here, here in Ponyville I’m sure we could help you out since you got us out of a major jam back at the meeting” she said smiling.

“Well I’m glad you asked princess-”

“Twilight’s fine” she said with another smile.

Vendetta nodded then continued. “I was wondering if you had any books on the sirens.”

Almost simultaneously Twilight and I froze causing the others to all ram into our rumps in the process.

“W-why would I know anything about mythical creatures” her voice and nervous smile betraying her statement.

“I’d like to find some information on them, because like I said I’ve been doing some research. I’d like to use them as my next example in case I run low on ammo when the time calls for it” he explained.

Twilight looked at her friends, then to me. I shrugged. “It’s just research so why not?” I said.

“Now you’re sure this here is just for some research?” Applejack prodded looking at Vendetta with a raised eyebrow her lower lip outstretched in a curious like fashion, eyes slightly lidded.

“Of course” he replied casually. “What else would it be for?” the earnesty in his voice seemed legit. Once again I told the girls that he’s just researching, plus we did kinda owe him (I owed him) for saving my butt back there.

Though reluctant Twilight mauled over the situation for a good five minutes, her friends waiting silently for her response before they would say anything. Finally Rainbow Dash spoke:

“Just give it to him already! It’s almost lunch and I still haven’t eaten anything yet because Hailstorm here decided to give us that scare” she said staring crossly at me. I shrugged it off.

“Not my fault you guys love me so much” everyone became eerily silent, Rainbow Dash nickered before turning her back to me saying, “Shut up...we just care is all don’t get the wrong ideas.”

I grinned, knowing my comment had thrown them all off guard. “Right, so Twilight what will it be?”

Bringing her back from the reaction my earlier comment had impacted the mare shook her head before turning her attention to Vendetta who had been waiting patiently. “Alright come with me. I’ll give you the book on the sirens.”

“Thank you” Vendetta replied with an eager smile. “You won’t regret it.”

Author's Note:

Finished this a bit earlier than I thought I would posting it ahead of time so not to keep you all in suspense.