• Published 13th Sep 2015
  • 950 Views, 18 Comments

War of the worlds. - Shadow-Aura



Equestria is attacked by an alien fleet armed with tripods and heat rays. Based of H.G Wells's War of the worlds.

  • ...
8
 18
 950

Chapter 4 thunderchild

*Mt Canter base*
For three days, I fought my way along roads packed with refugees
the homeless, burdened with boxes and bundles containing their
valuables. All that was of value to me was in Canterlot.

By the time I got to her home. Twilight was gone.

In my sadness, I sat down and started to sing a song my mother sang at my father's funeral...


"The summer sun is fading as the year grows old and darker days are drawing near. The winter winds will be mutch colder. Now your not here.

I watched the birds fly south across the autumn sky and one by one they disappear. I wish that I could be flying with them. Now your not here.

Like the sun trough the trees you came to love me. Like a leaf on a breeze, you blew away.

Trough autumn's golden gown we used to kick away. You always loved this time of year. Those fallen leaves lie undisturbed now you're not here.
Now you're not here.
Now you're not here.

Like the sun trough the trees you came to love meLike a leaf on a breeze, you blew away. A gentle rain falls softly on my weary eyes as if to hide a lonely tear. My life will be forever autumn
Now you're not here."

A fire suddenly leaped from house to house. The population panicked and ran and I was swept along with them. Aimless and lost without Twilight. Finally, I headed east on for the ocean and my only hope of survival, a boat out of Equestria.

As I made haste through Canterlot gardens, and unicorn range. More and more ponies joined the painful exodus. Sad, weary mares with their foals stumbling and streaked with tears their husbands bitter and angry. The rich was rubbing shoulders with baggers and outcasts. Here and there were wounded soldiers walked just as helpless as the rest of us.

We saw tripods wading up the river cutting trough bridges as though they were paper. One appeared above Canterlot castle.

"ULLA!!"

Never before in the history of Equestria had such mass of ponies moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march it was a stampede without order and without a goal six million ponies unarmed and unprovisioned driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilization and the massacre of ponykind. A vast crowd buffeted me towards the already packed steamer. I looked up enviously at those safely onboard straight into the eyes of... Twilight. At sight of me she began to fight her way along the packed deck to the gangplank, at that very moment it was raised and I caught the last glimpse of her despairing face as the crowd swept me away from her.

Like the sun trough the trees you came to love me. Like a leaf on a breeze, you blew away. Trough autumn's golden gown we used to kick our way. You always loved this time of year. Those fallen leaves lie undisturbed.
Now you're not here.


"ULLA!!"

The steamer began to move slowly away
but on the land in horizon appeared the silhouette of a fighting machine
Another came and another striding over hills and trees pulling far out to sea and blocking the exit of the steamer. Between them lay the silent gray ironclad Thunderchild. Slowly it moved towards shore. Then with a deafening roar and whoosh of spray it swung about and drove at full speed towards the waiting Martians.

Like ponies always do in times of crises members of the huddle of ponies started to sing.

"There were ships of shapes and sizes scattered out along the bay and I thought I heard they're calling. As the steamer pulled away the invaders must have seen them. As across the coast, they filed standing firm between them.
There lay ThunderChild

Moving swiftly through the waters. Cannons blazing as she came brought a mighty metal warlord crashing down in sheets of flame. Sensing victory was nearing. Thinking fortune must have smiled. Ponies start cheering.
'Come on ThunderChild
'Come on ThunderChild"

The Martians released their black smoke. But the ship sped on cutting down one of the tripod figures
Instantly the others raised their heat rays and melted the ThunderChild's valiant heart.

"Lashing ropes and smashing timbers with flashing Heat Ray hits the deck. Dashing hopes for our deliverance. As we watched the sinking wreck with the smoke of battle clearing. Over graves in waves defiled Slowly disappearing.
Farewell ThunderChild
Slowly disappearing
Farewell ThunderChild
Farewell ThunderChild
Farewell ThunderChild"

When the smoke cleared the little steamer had reached the misty horizon and Twilight was safe. But the "Thunder Child" had vanished forever taking with her Equestria last hope of victory. The leaden sky was lit by green flashes cylinder following cylinder and nopony. and nothing was left now to fight them.
Equestria belonged to the Martians...