• Published 29th May 2012
  • 2,314 Views, 59 Comments

Batmare - Puppo530



Rainbow Dash loved her parents. When they were murdered, she swore vengeance...

  • ...
3
 59
 2,314

Chapter 5 - Dark, Sad, Lonely Night

Chapter 5

Dark, Sad, Lonely Night

Rain poured down onto the mud of the streets. Five ponies galloped through the slosh. The tears from their eyes mixed with the mud and the rainwater. They pulled off their costumes as they galloped. The library was growing closer. A million thoughts were racing through their minds, but it would take time to organize them.

The Quizzler telekinetically opened the door to the library inside of the tree. Luckily, Spike was still asleep. The five mares were in tears. They sobbed onto the hard wood floors of the library. They went on like this for half of an hour. Slowly, they all stood up and addressed the problem at hand.

"How could we have done this?" the Clown asked the group.

"So many ponies in danger because of me." the Peacock said.

"How are we going to tell Rainbow Dash?" the Quizzler asked the Clown.

"I don't know." the Clown spoke softly.

"How are we supposed to tell her?"

"I don't know."

"How?!"

"I don't know, Twilight!"

Pinkie Pie couldn't take the makeup on her face anymore. She washed away the facepaint. Twilight took off her Quizzler costume. Applejack tore off her Scareworm suit in disgust throwing it at Rarity, who was getting out of her Peacock dress. Fluttershy quietly, and sobbingly, took off her Poison Oak suit. Twilight gathered up all of the suits and costumes and burned them in the middle of the library.

"We have to go tell Rainbow Dash." Fluttershy said quietly from the back of the room.

"We can't. I don't think she'll be able to take it." Applejack trotted over to the pegasus and put her hoof on her back. "I don't even remember doing all that stuff. It's like I was being controlled by something."

"I felt the same way." Rarity chided from across the library.

"Isn't there some sort of super villain that can control people's minds?" Twilight walked over to a bookshelf.

"Twilight," Rarity started, "you're not going to find anything about super villains in books. And no, I don't think there's a villain like that."

"Found it!" Twilight pulled a heavy book from the shelves of her library. She set the Encyclopedia of Villains on the floor so everypony could read. She scanned the pages for any sort of villain that could control minds. She skipped passed villains like Two-Snout, Fire Parasprite, Bone, and more. Her hoof stopped on a page with a silhouetted mare on it.

"That's our villain."

"We have to go warn Rainbow Dash! Come on girls!" Pinkie Pie led the ex-villains out the door of the tree.

--------------------------------

Rainbow Dash sat in her chair. The rain pounded against the windows of her manor. Tank brought her a glass of stored apple cider. As she slowly drank from the glass, she reminisced on the day's events. Rainbow Dash had been charged with murder of the Mayor. Then, they stopped the Clown before she killed the Cakes. They followed her to the secret villain meeting, where Scootaloo had been captured. She told them her secret identity, and then they ran away.

Why did they run away? What had the Clown almost said? Why were they all crying? Where were they now? Who are they? These questions were answered by the banging of the door. Rainbow Dash put her glass on the cloud floor next to her. She opened the door to find her five best friends.

"Wow! You're all here! Boy, am I glad to see you!" Rainbow Dash went in for a hug, but her friends looked downtrodden and depressed. They would not hug her back. She pulled away slowly, looking at them with concern. "What's wrong?"

"Rainbow... we have to tell you something." Twilight said as they entered the house, her cloud-walking charm working perfectly. They filed in one by one. Pinkie was the most depressed, the exact opposite of what should be.

"What is it?"

"Rainbow Dash..." Pinkie started the revelations. "...I'm the Clown."

"What?!"

"I'm the Quizzler." Twilight spoke softly, as to not further damage Rainbow.

"No..."

"I'm Scareworm."

"This can't..."

"I'm Poison Oak."

"You can't... no... I..."

"I'm the Peacock."

"No..." Rainbow Dash was the depressed one now. Her enemies were her friends in disguise. Her friends betrayed her. Her friends had killed ponies. They had tormented people. They had done terrible things. Her best friends were murderers.

"Rainbow," Twilight started to try to console her friend. "we know what you're going through."

"No, you don't! You don't know what it's like to have your best friends turn out to be murderers!"

"We kinda do, Rainbow." Rarity stepped forward. "We just found out today that the others wer-"

"I don't care! I can't believe you would do this to me!"

"We didn't do anything to you! What about you, going around killing criminals and what not!" Applejack switched to the offense.

"That was for justice! That was for the good of Ponyville! You kill ponies for the fun of it! You're sick!"

"We didn't do it for fun!" Fluttershy was angry at Rainbow Dash now.

"Then what did you do it for?"

"We did it because of her!" Twilight threw the encyclopedia on the cloud floor. She remembered to put the charm on it as well, so it wouldn't fall through.

"The Mare Hatter?" Rainbow was looking at the encyclopedia page with confusion. "What does this have to do with anything?"

"It has everything to do with everything!" came a voice from outside the manor. It echoed through the clouds and into the ears of the ponies inside. At all of the commotion, Scootaloo had come out of her room.

"That voice sounds so familiar..." Twilight started racking her brain for the source.

"You have found out my little trick, haven't you? Well, good for you. I was wondering when you would finally get it. I must say, it took longer than expected."

"What are you talking about?" Rainbow wondered aloud to the voice.

"You, silly! I'm talking about you! I tried to get one of my mind-control devices from the start, Rainbow Dash. At the circus, while running away to get Pizza Boss, I threw one at you. But, I overshot and it landed on Pinkie Pie. That's when she pursued and then killed the Mayor. That's when I came up with my master plan."

"And what's that?"

"To get you all to turn on each other, of course! I knew that if you were all against one another, and hated each other, there would be no way that you could work together to defeat me! So I put mind-control devices on everypony but you, Rainbow Dash."

"How do you know my name?"

"Everypony knows your name, Rainbow Dash."

With that last remark, Rainbow Dash had pinpointed the location of the voice. The Mare Hatter was standing just outside her manor on a tuft of stray cloud. Rainbow leapt through the cloud walls of her manor and onto the cloud. She grabbed the Mare Hatter, who was standing on the cloud through another cloud-standing spell, and pulled her off the cloud. They fell downwards. As they fell, the villain Rainbow was clutching put a spell on Rainbow. Her wings were frozen. She couldn't save herself. They were falling towards Ponyville. They would both be dead soon...