• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 4,211 Views, 48 Comments

Spiders and Magic IV: The Fall of Spider-Mane - Maximus_Reborn

  • ...
84
 48
 4,211

PreviousChapters Next
The Fall of Spider-Mane, Part IV

Chapter Fifty-Two "The Fall of Spider-Mane, Part IV"

Deep within the dark void, a tiny beacon of light glowed from the lowest depths before a hand rose from the ground. The entire vicinity distorted while gently-glowing stone pillars formed and connected into various platforms and walkways, spreading a matching illumination to everything they linked together. Peter strained as he pulled himself from the darkness before climbing onto the nearest platform. He glanced to the side, eyeing his surroundings, and the young man couldn't help but stare at the desolate realm, specifically the darkness that stretched on for what seemed like eternity.

Peter pulled himself to an upright stance, pausing to gaze upon his bipedal shape while a jacket and jeans formed over his frame. Suddenly, trails of darkness materialized around the young man, threatening to engulf him once more. However, a tiny orb of light hovered directly over his head before placing itself by his chest. Rays of light burned brightly, illuminating the entire area, and the darkness fled, retreating into the background.

In the distance, an altar materialized into existence on each of the five platforms in the distorted realm through bursts of light. The orb hovering over Peter's chest glowed in response, rumbling lowly. The young man simply nodded, as if instinctively knowing what had to be done. However, before he could move forth, a young woman with long chocolate brown hair reaching her lower back stepped out of the darkness behind his position, bearing a virtually identical appearance, with the only difference being a blue-slitted gaze to his hazel irises.

"The world is hateful and full of spite. Why should you risk your life for such ungrateful souls?" the woman asked, folding her arms before levitating a few feet from the ground. "You selflessly saved your city on Earth more times than one could imagine, but its citizens would always find ways to distrust you in spite of your efforts. Equestria is no different. Theywillturn their backs against you. It's in their nature. Why have you not lost your faith in them?" Her voice was stern, yet held gentle earnesty. "Please explain it to me. Imustknow."

"Well…" Slow to respond, Peter walked across the nearest walkway, maintaining his balance over its narrow path while the woman followed closely behind without leaving her place in midair. "I know that it's frustrating at times. Whether it's humans or ponies, they don't always recognize you for your best efforts. And there are some that just want to cut you down, because it's easier to hate than to understand sometimes." He paused, placing a hand over the first altar upon reaching it. "That's why it's really important to do the right thing. You just have to lead by example and hope that it's enough to leave some type of influence."

Nightmare furrowed her brow. "What if itisn'tenough? What if the world forever hates you?"

Peter chuckled under his breath, managing a smile. "Then, I keep going for the few thatdoappreciate me. I'd much rather have a handful of genuine praises to millions of empty ones." Suddenly, four smaller beings materialized around Peter before taking shape into that of human girls, and they soon resembled the Cutie Mark Crusaders, consisting of Babs Seed, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. Peter shared a glance and smile with the girls before gazing back at Nightmare. "When you have these four cheering you on, the world itself is almost mute."

Apple Bloom gently pulled at one of the young man's arms. "Pete's always been there for us, so it's only right that we do the same for him."

Taking hold of his free arm, Scootaloo warmly smiled. "He helped us earn our cutie marks and even took me to the prom when nopony else would."

Babs Seed wrapped her arms around Peter's waist with a warm embrace as she nuzzled into him. "He'llalwaysbe our big brother."

Sweetie Belle climbed onto Peter's shoulders before planting a soft kiss on his cheek. "The world can turn its back on him, but we'll never stop loving him."

Peter's smile only widened at the girls' collective embrace before their forms faded from sight, channeling into the altar. The orb over his chest swelled slightly, emitting a warm aura, and a white flame rose from the altar, acting as a beacon. A portion of the surrounding darkness dissipated, revealing what seemed to be a white void behind the thick layers of the abyss. Peter shifted his gaze to the next platform, traveling across its connected walkway while Nightmare's counterpart followed with a softened gaze.

Meanwhile, a manifestation rose from the surrounding trails of darkness, glaring intently at the pair from afar with a blue, slitted gaze. The young man quickly reached the center of the next platform. Much like the previous one, a small altar stood nearby, its flames dissolved. Inhaling deeply before sighing, Peter reached out and placed his hand over the altar before closing his eyes. Nightmare glanced to the side, as if conflicted and uncertain.

Holding her hand out inches away from her face, Nightmare frowned before clenching it tightly into a fist. "I have seen the worst of this world. Luna turned to jealousy and betrayed her own sister. Sombra enslaved an entire nation. Empress Chrysalis slaughtered millions in her conquest. Tirek attacked you and your loved ones before turning his ambition to Equestria." Glaring intently at the young man, she edged closer to him. "Your own daughter even stabbed you. How can you forgive such treachery? Why must you always give such creatures a second chance when their capacity for evil is unmatched?"

Peter opened his eyes and frowned. "Peoplearecapable of the worst things. That's a fact. I'm not saying everything has to be forgiven, but everyone at least deserves second chance most of the time. There are some thatcan'tbe reasoned with, and sometimes they're beyond help. However…"

That following moment, an astral image materialized into existence mere inches away before shifting into Peter's equine form. The entire environment distorted around the pony, phasing into that of the Whitetail Woods while Peter and Nightmare watched from afar. Suddenly, Trixie inadvertently collided into the stallion, causing everything to shift once more. Soon the Treebrary came into view, with both ponies conversing warmly while sharing tea together.

The world faded in a blur before a snow-ridden plain materialized into existence. A thunderous roar echoed throughout the vicinity as Glacius stomped into view. The yeti slammed his fists into the ground, narrowly missing Peter as he flipped out of its range. The world slowed while the scenery morphed, shifting to the cold depths of a cave, and the stallion offered a bag full of various fruits to the yeti, smiling. Glacius accepted the bag without hesitation, hoisting it over his shoulder. However, just as the yeti turned to leave, it paused before tapping the back of its hand against Peter's chest in a respectful manner.

Once again, the vicinity transformed, morphing into the shattered remains of the Crystal Empire throne room. Dozens of changelings charged ahead while Empress Chrysalis led them against the remaining resistance consisting of Peter, Pinkamena, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Sweetie Belle. However, before they could collide, the entire environment distorted out of existence and shifted to that of the Canterlot throne room. Dozens in attendance, pony and changeling alike, applauded and cheered as Queen Chrysalis and Princess Celestia shared a smile and shook hooves, both having just signed the Equestrian/Changeling Peace Treaty.

After a brief duration, the dark reaches of the void resurfaced, leaving Peter alone with Nightmare once again. The young man narrowed his gaze. "You've seen the worst everypony is capable of, but there's still some good in everypony, too. Sometimes, you can change someone by simply listening to them. It doesn't do any good to shut your heart off to everyone. Goodcanrise from even the darkest of places." He paused, removing his hand from the altar and allowing a white flame to rise from its pedestal. "If given the chance. I think the same applies toyou."

Nightmare winced at the young man's soft tone before glancing to the side shamefully. "You don't know that."

"Idon't," Peter bluntly declared, passing the woman before offering her a smile as the orb hovering over his chest glowed brighter, "but I canhope."

More of the darkness in the background dissolved, fading from existence, and the entity within growled in frustration, never averting its slitted glare from the pair on the platform. Peter walked to the edge of the walkway, peering down at the platform several yards beneath his position. Inhaling deeply before sighing, the young man dove into a free fall as he soared to the ground. He flipped at the last second, managing to land gracefully on his feet. However, just as Peter approached the third altar, two beings materialized into existence on his path, and his heart ached at the familiar sight of Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy.

Nightmare folded her arms once more, staring intently at the young man from behind his shoulder. "What about those affected by your actions and inactions? Their deaths are what set you on this path. What if you are never truly forgiven?"

Peter shook his head. "It's impossible for me to answer that outright. The dead can't speak." A long silence filled the air as the young man stepped toward the figments of his past. "It's taken me years to finally understand. I can't let my guilt run my life anymore. Uncle Ben and Gwen are special to me. If I only ever focus on how theydied, I won't remember how theylived, and I know that they wouldn't want me to grieve or punish myself the way I have." Peter faced Uncle Ben and Gwen before nodding softly. "Before I can even think of askingthemfor forgiveness, I have to forgivemyselffirst, and I think I'mfinallyready to do that."

Both Uncle Ben and Gwen smiled in response, with the blonde moving forward and embracing Peter first. "I'll always love you, Peter." Just as they parted, she planted a soft kiss on his cheek before fading from sight. The particles of energy left in her wake channeled into the orb hovering over the young man's chest, causing its glow to brighten even further. "And I'll always be a part of you."

Uncle Ben followed with a warm embrace of his own, quietly shaking his nephew's hand once they parted before smiling at the woman behind him. "I told you that he was stronger than you think. He just had to believe."

As the older man faded from existence, Peter's eyes widened upon spotting a tiny white flame hovering in his grasp. With a content smile, he placed a hand over the top of the altar, lighting the pedestal. Yet another piece of the surrounding darkness dissipated, breaking apart from the rest. As if on cue, the platform they stood on shook before elevating, and it slowed to a halt once positioned across from another holding an unlit altar.

Peter narrowed his gaze at the sight, jogging before leaping across the ledge and landing safely at the corner of the platform. The young man walked to the altar, ready to ignite its flame, but Nightmare reached out, taking hold of his hand. However, her grip was hardly sound as her hand trembled. Peter shifted his gaze to the woman bearing his image, noting that she couldn't lift her eyes from the ground.

"I've laid dormant in your body for half a decade, but you are still a puzzle to me," she whispered before clutching his hand, tightly yet gently. "You have experienced more pain and loss in the short span of a few years than most can accumulate in a lifetime. You've lost friends and family. You've been chastised by your peers when your crime was saving their lives. For all intents and purposes, you should've turned your back on humanity ages ago, but you've managed to maintain your sense of ethics, morality, and honor, even at your darkest hour." Nightmare finally met his gaze. "Peter Parker. Why are you so… different?"

Her voice grew fragile, cracking, and Peter gazed upon Nightmare softly. He turned his hand over, offering it to the woman as a tiny white ember hovered at the center of his palm. Nightmare readied to accept the young man's gesture, but she paused, shifting her hesitant gaze to find his eyes. However, she could not find deception or falsehood in his warm hazel gaze.

There was only kindness and trustworthiness, two qualities she could not understand when it came to this individual. Nightmare inhaled deeply, unsure of what to make of the earnest curiosity churning in her chest, and she placed her hand over Peter's. The warm temperature of the flame spread out, enveloping the cold exterior of the woman, and she steadily sank into its embrace, reveling in the sensations that it brought. Suddenly, a wave rushed into Nightmare's mind as the surrounding altars illuminated bright rays of light from the white flames.

The woman inhaled sharply as emotions rose within her, most of which she had never experienced before. A realization came into mind as the emotions channeling into her took shape. The flames Peter ignited were that of his very essence, and that life force had become a part of her. Suddenly, images of those close to Peter's heart began to flash through Nightmare's mind, from those in his immediate family to his fellow co-workers at the Daily Bugle.

The images intensified, passing through the heroes he'd befriended to the many enemies he'd encountered. The Earth's image glowed brightly before it morphed to the land of Equestria and its inhabitants. Nightmare's eyes began to hurt as the center of her chest burned. These emotions channeling into her heavily contrasted what she had come to know in her long existence, leaving the woman with a sense of warmth and confusion that threatened to overwhelm her.

The images had not ceased either, shifting wildly between the ponies that accepted Peter in spite of his alien background and those that had become inseparable from him. Finally, Twilight's image was the last to appear with the woman standing daintily in a stream of water behind a row of sunflowers. She smiled sweetly, holding out her hands as magical energies hovered over her palms in the shape of a heart. She knelt down by Ben, offering the young child the heart before everything faded to white.

Back within the void, Nightmare staggered back, placing a hand over her burning chest. Yet, the expression she bore was not of confusion but some form of revelation as her eyes swelled with tears. "What… was that? It felt so warm."

Peter smiled at the sight, placing a hand over the altar. "Hope. It's not something I can really explain. It's something you just have to personally experience. The worldcanbe very cruel at times, but when you find something that's good, you'll want to fight for it. To protect it. To make sure it survives and endures." A white flame rose from the altar's pedestal, illuminating rays of light throughout the vicinity. "Twilight. Mayday. Ben. Trixie. Luna. As long as I always have them and my friends, I canneverafford to lose my way. If I did, I'd be hurting all of them."

Nightmare quietly stood with an unreadable expression as she stared at the ground, but the corner of her lips curled into a small smile. "You are a strange one, Peter Parker. I haven't met anyone as unconventional as you. It's vexing, yet… refreshing." The woman paused, wiping away her tears before staring at her wet hand intently. "I've seen the darkness of ponies' hearts and watched the world crumble before me. I thought I understood them, but with you, I've only learned just how clueless I really am. I don't even understand why my chest aches this way. Iwantto understand these emotions burning inside of me."

"Whenever you come to understand that pain in your chest is the moment I think you'll understand both humanity and ponykind a little more," Peter gently declared, placing a hand over Nightmare's shoulder. "It's not something that'll happen overnight. Humanity and ponykind both come in many shapes and forms. We're confusing, even to ourselves at points, but that's why it's so important that we try to understand each other. You and I can do that for each other, too. All I can ask for is for you to trust me."

Nightmare's eyes softened at the statement before she glanced to the side. "I had lost faith in all things, but I earnestly believe the world can learn from your example… myself, included." The woman trailed off as her brow lowered in thought. After a brief silence, a faint smile graced her features. "All right. I will try once more to believe in humanity and ponykind. Lead them by example as you always have. I hereby entrust myself to you and swear my loyalty to your will. Please, do not disappoint me."

The four platforms merged together, fusing within a bright light, and the altars resonated as each of the pedestals' flames illuminated. The surrounding darkness had all but vanished, reducing to a single speck. However, a man rose from the remnants of the abyss before he rushed to the remaining altar. Dark flames escaped from his hands as the altar faded from sight. Before anyone could react, the man leaped from the platform and dove into a free fall, disappearing in the white void beneath.

Nightmare frowned, shaking her head as she peered down over the edge of the conjoined platform from where she stood. "It seems that my past self is not thrilled with my decision."

Peter could only shrug. "I'm not surprised. Whatevercango wrong,willgo wrong. That's my luck in a nutshell most of the time." Sobering, the young man narrowed his gaze at the bottomless pit. "Think I have a chance to be diplomatic with past you?"

"No. I was far too arrogant and unrestrained at that point in my existence," Nightmare bluntly declared, folding her arms. "She wants only power and complete control. Looking back now, I actually hate what I used to represent. Youmuststop her at all costs. If she gains control, Equestria will not stand a chance." The woman turned, walking to the center of the platform where the four altars stood. "I will stay and ensure the altars' flames remain lit. You must defeat Nightmare and purge her from your body. Conquer your demons Peter Parker, for that is what Nightmare represents."

Peter readied himself to leap, but he paused, glancing at the woman as if a thought came to mind. "Technically… this means you're not "Nightmare" anymore. If we're going to be partners, you'll need a new name." Folding his arms, he stared at the woman before frowning. "Also, you shouldn't look like me. Patricia's already got the 'female Peter Parker' thing going pretty well for her. I want you to just be yourself… or as close as we're going get to that. Go ahead and change. That way, I can give you a new name."

The woman blinked, holding a widened gaze. "You really are an unusual one. Very well." She pursed her lips as her gaze lowered. "To be frank, it has been eons since I have taken my own form, not basing it on whom I possess. I just hope you find my appearance appealing."

Inhaling deeply before sighing, the woman held a hand over her eyes. Suddenly, her chocolate brown hair grew in length until it reached her lower back, morphing to a bright shade of blue. A pair of black wings sprouted from her back as a horn did the same from the center of her forehead. Her nose faded from sight while her skin darkened to a grayish hue, matching her wings and horn. She finally lifted her gaze as purple lipstick materialized over her mouth, smiling as a blue tiara glowed into existence over her forehead. Her blue slitted eyes held a genuine warmness, lacking the venom usually within.

"Peter Parker. What do you think?" she asked innocently, grinning.

Peter scratched the back of his head, feeling the temperature in his face rise. "Well now, you're much prettier than I thought you'd be. You're still channeling a little bit of Luna, but that's not a bad thing. Over time, we'll findyourlook. For now, I'll have to get used to you living in my head. You're almost straight out of a good dream." The young man's eyes widened as a realization came into mind. He grinned eagerly. "Well, since you're not giving menightmaresanymore, how about we name you 'Dream?' I mean, I'm sure that my dreams will be a lot better with you around."

The woman chuckled under her breath. "Youarea strange one, Peter Parker. I look forward to learning from you." She leaned closer, placing her hands against Peter's chest before holding her mouth inches away from his ear. "Now, go stop Nightmare." She pushed Peter off the ledge, watching as he fell, but he grinned, smiling before diving into a free fall. Soon, his form faded from sight, and the newly christened Dream paused, wincing at the tightness growing in her chest. "This feeling. Why do I careso muchabout his safety suddenly? Curse you for giving me such emotions, Peter." She lifted her gaze, nodding before clutching at her chest with a smile. "And thank you for making me feel alive."


The reaches of the desolate realm were vast, stretching on seemingly for eternity. Gravity soon faded once Peter neared the ground, allowing the young man to slow to a peaceful landing before it fully returned. Suddenly, a bright light gleamed over his entire frame, fading to reveal his classic Spider-Man attire. Without his mask, Peter slowly approached a lone individual standing within the void.

He wore dark armor, similar to that which Peter made years ago, but it was grey in tone, as if to reveal the owner's bleak nature. The man turned his head to the side, acknowledging Peter's presence without facing him. Several yards in front of his position was the final altar, its pedestal unlit. The individual raised a glowing hand that emitted black flames, causing the altar to fade from sight in a flash.

"I can't believe that I grow to become thatweakin the future," Nightmare huffed, his voice low with spite. He eventually turned to face Peter, bearing an identical physical resemblance. However, his hair was as black as the darkest void, and his cold, blue, slitted gaze bore nothing but malice. "I am not that weak, nor do I intend to falter like her. Youwillsubmit to my will and usher in a reign of eternal darkness."

Peter shook his head disapprovingly. "It takes real strength to acknowledge your weakness and grow from it. Your way of thinking only leads to destruction, and the future version of yourself has seen where that leads." Peter narrowed his gaze on Nightmare before pointing a finger in his direction. "Too many lives have been lost as is. If you really want to lead, then stray from your path of hatred and help lead Equestria toward peace."

"Save your diplomacy. It means nothing to me. I'm certain she told you that already," Nightmare declared, folding his arms. Both individuals stood firm, holding their ground while keeping their sights deadlocked on each other. "It seems that we have reached an impasse. I have a simple remedy for that." Nightmare hovered a few inches from the ground before unfolding his arms, holding them out to the side. "I'll destroy your very essence here and now."

Unfaltered, Peter frowned at the comment. "I get it. You want to wipe away my subconsciousness, heart, and memory. Withoutanyof those, I'll cease to exist, and my body will be yours for the taking. Ireallyfeel like I've heard this somewhere before." The young man furrowed his brow, dismissing the thought before slowly lowering into a defensive stance. "Anyway. I can't let you do that. If it means protecting my friends and family, Iwilldestroy you."

"Foolish one," Nightmare whispered, raising his hands as black particles of energy channeled into them. "I'll wipe away yourvery existence!"

The dark energies spread, enveloping Nightmare's form entirely in the shape of a bubble shield. Peter raised his arm, shielding his face as whirlwinds generated around the spiraling energy. The dome soon shattered, fading from existence, and Nightmare slowly levitated to the ground, his armor having darkened further to a deep shade of black. Just as the tip of his toe touched the floor, clear water morphed into existence through a black wave. Both individuals' reflections could be seen on the water's rippled surface as they stood over it without sinking in the slightest.

Peter watched the entity with his mouth agape and eyes widened, but he gritted his teeth before clenching his hand into a fist. He dashed ahead in a blur, closing the gap between himself and Nightmare within seconds. Once inches apart, Peter reared back and threw a fierce punch. However, Nightmare smiled at the sight before raising two fingers in the path of the incoming attack, managing to block the blow effortlessly. A shockwave erupted at the point of impact, sending countless tremors through the surrounding waters.

"We are so much alike," Nightmare coldly whispered, his distorted voice echoing across the empty realm. "More than you realize. After all, Iamthe embodiment of the darkness within you."

The tip of Nightmare's finger glowed brightly as he pulled it back before tapping it once against Peter's fist. The light split into countless rays as they tore through Peter's body, and he cried out in pain while blood escaped from the fresh gashes carved into his being. The upper half of his costume disintegrated to ashes underneath the light's deadly rays, leaving the young man topless. The force of the blow sent Peter careening back several yards into a violent roll before he flipped upright onto his feet and pried his hand into the ground, skidding to a halt.

Peter wheezed, the sounds of his breathing resembling glass scratching against a rough surface, and he stared at his damaged image on the water's reflective surface before lifting his gaze. Nightmare hovered closer to his position until they were only a few feet apart, holding a coy smile. However, his slitted eyes widened as Peter defiantly stood up, lowering back into a defensive stance while a white aura erupted from his being. Nightmare growled, baring his fangs before levitating from the ground once more, with volatile black energies racing from his body. The conflicting energies faded upon colliding together, fusing with the empty void surrounding them.

"I amnothinglike you," Peter growled under his breath, gritting his teeth.

Nightmare narrowed his slitted gaze into a venomous glare as tremors coursed through the realm. "Stop your nonsense. You willnotdefy me!"

Peter raced out toward Nightmare in a sprint, but the entity raised a glowing hand before snapping his fingers. The young man skidded to a halt as dark energies sparked into the atmosphere. Suddenly, the world stopped in place, evident by droplets of the still waters hovering in midair and a frozen Peter. Nightmare levitated across the vicinity until he stood inches away from the young man's side. Clenching his hand into a fist, the dark entity threw a straight punch at his frozen target's head.

A blaring alarm erupted within Peter's cranium as the attack neared, and time immediately resumed as a result. Peter's eyes narrowed at the incoming danger before he instinctively lifted an open palm, capturing Nightmare's fist in his grasp mere inches away from his face. A shockwave erupted around the pair, sending waves splashing through the water beneath their feet. Faster than Peter could react, Nightmare slipped free and grabbed both of his forearms, spinning around before throwing him across the vicinity.

Peter careened through the air mere feet from the ground with no means of halting his momentum. Vanishing from sight, Nightmare materialized into existence directly in the young man's path, and he extended his hand to the side, grinning as the black energies surrounding his limb morphed into a blade. Once in range, the dark entity threw a wide slash at his airborne foe, but Peter flipped directly over the attack, managing to grab his foe by the arm and head simultaneously. Shifting all of his momentum, Peter flipped Nightmare and drove him headfirst into the ground.

The force of the impact left violent wakes through the water underneath their bodies before Nightmare vanished from sight in a burst of light, materializing into existence directly behind Peter. The blade burning over his hand extended, stretching out as black flames burned brightly. Before Peter could react, Nightmare delivered a swift uppercut to his jaw, knocking the young man several feet into the air. Just as Peter readied to land, Nightmare unleashed a wide slash, repeating the process as he began juggling the young man's body repeatedly with an assault of flames.

Finally landing at his dark counterpart's feet in a heap, Peter could barely react as Nightmare slammed the blade into the ground mere inches away from his face. Black flames ignited at the point of impact, triggering an explosion, and the blast sent the him flying across the vicinity until he bounced to a halt. Nightmare dashed ahead at full speed, closing the gap instantly before throwing a straight punch. Spinning his legs up, Peter flipped to a standing position and managed to throw a punch of his own. Both individuals' fists met directly, triggering a shockwave, but neither faltered, glaring intently at each other while black and white energies danced wildly in the atmosphere around them.

Nightmare spun around, lifting his leg faster than the eye could see, but Peter managed to lift his forearms, narrowly blocking a direct thrust kick aimed at his skull. Dark energy channeled through the leg, sparking before igniting a shockwave. The force of the blow launched Peter back into a roll until he flipped to a standing position and skidded to a halt after several meters. Just as he lifted his gaze, a blaring alarm chimed in his cranium, prompting the young man to sway his upper body to the side as a magical bolt narrowly missed him.

Peter glanced at the dark entity, inhaling sharply as dozens of glowing-black magical orbs materialized into existence behind his position. Nightmare raised a glowing hand, sending each orb at the young man in unison. Peter leaped to the side, avoiding the first volley, and a second set closed in, forcing him to duck underneath the swarm of dark energies. The alarm within his cranium blared profusely as a third volley sped toward him from overhead, but Peter pushed himself from the ground, launching high into the air as the remaining orbs detonated upon striking the area where he previously laid.

The shockwave from the explosion sent Peter into a aerial spiral, but he managed to land on his feet, quickly shifting his attention to Nightmare. However, the young man's hazel irises widened at the sight of a colossal orb of black energy hovering a few yards away. Its size matched that of an Ursa Minor, expanding further as dark particles of magic from the atmosphere channeled into it. Nightmare stood underneath the orb with a glowing hand raised overhead before waving it forward. On command, the massive ball of energy raced out, speeding directly into Peter's path.

Its speed was too great, closing in within a matter of seconds, and its size was massive, making the act of evasion impossible to achieve. However, Peter firmly stood with a glare, clenching his fists tightly as particles of glowing white energy enveloped them before dashing toward the orb at full speed. He leaped at the center, rapidly punching the energy with the speed and force of a gatling gun, and with a charged haymaker at the end, the orb shattered, dissipating from existence entirely. Right upon landing, Peter sprinted toward the dark entity in a blur while Nightmare reared a clenched fist back.

Both individuals screamed once they were inches apart, each glaring at the other while thrusting a punch forward respectively. However, Peter's punch connected, cracking Nightmare's jaw with a thunderous boom. The dark entity's head snapped back from the force of the blow, and a shockwave erupted, launching his body high into the air before he crashed to the ground. Suddenly, Nightmare burst from the ground with a bellowing growl, glaring intently at the young man.

Black particles of magical energy from the atmosphere spiraled into the dark entity's hand before he charged ahead at full speed with a clenched fist. Peter mirrored his dark counterpart's actions while glowing white energy channeled into his own hand. Both individuals threw a punch once they were mere inches apart, slamming their fists against each other. Large electrical currents raced out at the point of impact. The conflicting energies triggered a chain reaction, generating an explosive shockwave.

Nightmare bounced across the realm, spiraling before colliding into the ground with enough force to create a dust cloud. Meanwhile, Peter flew back, skidding across the ground for several meters until he grinded to a stop. Peter slowly pulled himself back to his feet, groaning as the muscles in his body trembled weakly. He shifted his gaze across the realm to Nightmare before falling to a knee, wheezing. Suddenly, the dark entity faded from sight in a burst of light before materializing into existence mere inches away from the young man with a glowing hand raised and extended.

Out of instinct, Peter hopped back out of Nightmare's range, but something stopped him in his tracks before he could venture far. A black tendril wrapped around the young man's waist after having sprouted from the dark entity's back, holding him in place. Nightmare extended his hand until the tip of his fingers rested against his foe's chest. Peter could only watch as black particles of energy channeled into the entity's limbs before it took shape, materializing into a dark blade and instantly impaling him.

A sharp pain rushed through Peter's being as the simple act of breathing became nigh impossible, and he fell limp, dropping back with a glossy gaze. Nightmare sheathed his blade before retracting the tendril into his body, watching sternly as his foe lifelessly stood upright. The white void steadily darkened as trails of darkness began to spread about the realm. Peter staggered forth, as if ready to collapse, but he planted his feet, straining while clenching his fists tightly.

Nightmare narrowed his gaze. "How are we so different then? I rose from the darkness within you, and I will bathe the world in that same darkness."

Slow to respond, Peter coughed up a fair amount of blood from his mouth. "That's true. Youdidrise from the darkness within me, but you're pure darkness without light." He shook his head, placing a hand over the wound on his chest. "Light cannot exist without darkness, and darkness cannot rise without light. That's what makes us human. We have to find balance between the two. The future version of yourself is trying to understand that, but you're too far gone to try to do the same."

Suddenly, all traces of darkness within the white void dissolved from sight. Nightmare gritted his fangs angrily at the development, shifting his feral glare at the young man. However, in spite of the gaping wound in his chest, Peter defiantly stood upright with a white aura emitting from his body. Traces of black soon materialized in the young man's aura, as if fusing with the bright energies. Both light and dark channeled into Peter before the wound over his chest fully healed and closed, fading altogether.

A flash of light ignited, forcing Nightmare to shield his eyes with a hand, and once the energies dissipated, he held a bewildered expression at the sight that awaited him. Peter stood with a somber expression and new attire. A spider insignia stood over his chest, accompanying the suit of white and black tights that he bore, holding a perfect balance of light and dark in its design. A mask soon materialized over his face before he lowered into a defensive stance, his black masked eyes narrowing at Nightmare.

"You wouldn't understand, even if I explained it a thousand times," Peter whispered before he faded from sight in a blur.

Nightmare paused, bursting into an arrogant laughter. "Well then,makeme understand!"

Faster than Nightmare could react, Peter appeared before him with his closed fist extended an inch away from his chest, thrusting it forward. Initially a tap, sheer strength escaped from the blow as a force slammed into Nightmare, launching him with the force of a missile. Vanishing in a burst of light, Peter appeared directly behind the dark entity before driving a straight kick into the center of his back. A thunderous crack echoed across the vicinity as traces of blood escaped from Nightmare's mouth.

Vanishing in a burst of light, Peter materialized into existence from a shadow directly in front of the dark entity before lowering into a defensive stance and following with a wide punch to the jaw. The blow staggered the dark entity into a stumble, and as he lifted his gaze, a fierce uppercut was delivered underneath his chin. In a swift act of motion, Peter backflipped in place, swinging his feet high into Nightmare's jaw. The force of the blow sent the dark entity pinwheeling skyward. Peter landed on his feet and leaped high into the air, speeding into Nightmare with another diving kick and latching a strand of white and black webbing onto his being.

The young man turned around before striking the dark entity with a diving punch, sticking another thread to his form upon passing by. Fading in a blur, Peter repeated the process until Nightmare was suspended in midair by countless strands of webbing. Particles of energy from the atmosphere channeled into the young man's fist, emitting a swirling black and white glow before he jumped to the greatest of his ability high above Nightmare. The world slowed while Peter dove into a free fall, speeding toward the dark entity.

Nightmare strained to break free, gritting his teeth before he shifted his gaze to the incoming man as his descending speed increased. Suddenly, a faint image materialized behind Peter as the white realm distorted. A sense of warmth spread throughout the void as Peter smiled brightly, watching his family. Ben cooed eagerly in his father's arms, reaching out for Twilight while she sat in front of Mayday. Their daughter giggled softly as she finished the details of her mother's flower crown, easing a rose into the carefully assorted row of blossoms. The image soon faded behind a blinding light before Peter slammed his fist into the center of Nightmare's chest.

A crack spread across the center of his chest, glowing. The dual energies of light and dark tore into Nightmare's form, eating away at his very existence. The entity stared wildly at nothing in particular, blinking as his life faded. However, the image of Peter's family remained imprinted in his mind, specifically the warmth that came with it.

"I see… I understand," Nightmare whispered before shattering into a black mist. He managed a small smirk, even as his existence dissolved. "Go forth… Peter Parker."

Before long, what was once the Nightmare force had faded completely. A black wave erupted from the remnants of the dark force, allowing an altar to morph into view. Peter readied himself to step toward the beacon, but he collapsed, falling to the ground in a heap. The black and white uniform he wore faded from sight, leaving the young man in his casual wear. His eyelids grew heavy as his vision blurred. The muscles in his body trembled, as if the years of accumulated battles had caught up to him. He wanted to sleep, to finally rest. However, Dream levitated into the realm, gracefully landing mere inches away from the young man as he steadily slipped into unconsciousness.

"For years, I've sought this opportunity, and now, it's practically mine for the taking with nothing left to stop me," she whispered, inhaling deeply before letting out a defeated sigh. Dream smiled sweetly, kneeling down next to the young man. "That's what I believed, but now, I can't let you sleep." Sliding her arms underneath his body, Dream helped pull Peter to his feet and allowed him to lean against her for support. His eyes fluttered open, glancing at Dream as she smiled in response. "Light the flame, my friend. Everyone is waiting for you."

Peter nodded slightly, reaching out until his hand fell over the altar, and Dream mirrored his action, placing her hand over his. A white flame rose from the beacon, illuminating a bright ray across the realm. Peter's form levitated a few feet from the ground before he slowly faded from sight, disappearing from existence. Dream watched the spectacle with a soft smile, folding her arms before shifting her gaze skyward.


Back in the real world, everypony waited in a tense silence, unable to make anything of the current situation. Suddenly, a crack spread at the center of the orb hovering in the sky. Eris inhaled sharply at the sight while Discord narrowed his crimson gaze on the airborne object. Suddenly, a glint of light shone from the crack before the orb shattered, magical shards scattering the wind while dissipating from existence. Once the light from the energies faded, Peter's form was revealed as he slowly hovered to the ground.

Twilight inhaled sharply at the familiar sight of her husband's light brown fur and shorter stature, sniffling as her eyes swelled with tears. The surrounding thestral forces retreated at the sight, scattering for parts unknown. The stallion gracefully landed, pausing before glancing about at his surroundings aimlessly. He turned to face Twilight once she rushed to the his side, blinking while she stared at him intently. The alicorn managed a teary smile upon recognizing her husband's hazel gaze, sobbing as she kissed his cheek affectionately before tightly wrapping her hooves around his neck for a warm embrace.

Mayday slowly approached the pair with her saddened gaze fixed on the ground. A sense of dread pulled at the filly's heart as her ears lowered shamefully into her mane. There were many things she wanted to say, but the guilt she harbored made it impossible to speak through the lump in her throat. However, as if sensing her thoughts, Peter scooped Mayday into his hooves for a loving embrace. In spite of everything, the stallion patted a hoof against the back of her head soothingly.

Like the flowing waters of a pouring river, the filly burst into a heartfelt sob and buried her face into her father's chest, allowing her tears to run freely. Twilight leaned to the side of her head against Peter's, joining in the embrace once more. Patricia and Gwen joined the family, with both mares embracing the stallion at the first opportunity respectively once he parted with the filly and alicorn. Sonata raced between the group, leaping into Peter's open hooves. Eris quietly joined the gathering, sharing a smile with the stallion.

Meanwhile, Discord's gaze fell to the ground shamefully before he faded from sight in a burst of light. Suddenly, everypony's collective gazes centered on Luna, seeing as the alicorn had not left her sister's side. Sobering, Peter walked to the alicorn and knelt by her side, wrapping his hooves around her small frame for a warm embrace. Having shared a nod, Peter gently lifted Celestia's lifeless frame bridal style before leading them back to the village of Ponyville. Equestria had been liberated from Tirek's forces thanks to their combined efforts, but the salvation came with a heavy price. They had lost their beloved leader, the very heart of the land.

Nothing would be the same from then on.

To be concluded in "Fallout"

PreviousChapters Next